IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 38: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Finally. Something at least semi-original out of "Hollywood".

Author: david-4609 from United States
1 November 2007

My wife is in exhibition management (I'd say theater management, but that leads way too many half-wits to ask her for help getting an acting job...). As she is a turn-around specialist, she puts in many hours at work, and often I'm forced to tolerate some piece of digestive end product being passed off as creative entertainment by what are laughingly called the finest studios in the world in order to spend time with her.

When she gave me a choice of special showings I chose August Rush because it seemed the first really original story line I'd seen in nearly 10 years. The movie did not disappoint. It was uplifting, exhilarating and moving.

The music was fantastic, and eclectic enough to suit a wide range of tastes. If the ending was happy and the plot was simplified to return to a reasonable feature length, it was well worth the hokey assumption that a musical prodigy can learn to write music correctly with no training.

While I myself struggle with the bagpipe chanter, my mother and her siblings were musically talented and well known for their ability to play a tune note perfectly after hearing it once. While they eventually learned to read and write music, they composed long before they ever did so. This story is not so unlikely.

This move was well casted. Robin Williams played a role which was different, and showed he can really connect with people in a rather surprising way. I liked the way the movie brought together elements which crossed ethnic and socioeconomic lines.

I will be back to see this film again, and pay cash to do so. I haven't heard original music this good in a movie since Coyote Ugly and Titanic. The plot was fast paced, original, splendidly timed and left no loose ends. A must see picture.

This film not only grabs your heart but it grips your soul.

Author: Joe Perry from United States
29 November 2007

I'm never biased when it comes to rating a movie. If it's pretty good I say it's pretty good and why. If it's horrible I do like wise. If it's great then I say it's great but i still mention the things that to me seemed to flaw it in whatever small ways that they did. However, I just finished watching August Rush and I am in no way exaggerating when I say that it is by far the best movie I have ever seen. It not only grabs your heart from the very first scene but it grabs your soul within the first thirty minutes and by the time the movie's climax arrives you're in it so deep that whether you're Mr. Macho who wouldn't cry at his own mother's funeral or just someone who's bored and wants to see something that will be worth watching you will undoubtedly be wiping your eyes with your shirt sleeve and not caring who sees because everyone around you will be wetting their sleeves as well. Freddie Highmore takes the role of August Rush and delivers what will probably be (and very well should be) an Oscar winning performance. Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers do excellent jobs as well. In fact, everyone --including Robin Williams -- does a wonderful job. I'm not going to go into depth about this movie's plot because I don't want to take away from the surprise of how well written and in depth it is but just keep in mind that of all the movies that have come out this year (including the ones I have not yet seen, and I can say that with certainty after seeing this movie) this one is by far the cream of the crop and for me it will be a long time before any movie does to me what this one did. Go see August Rush, you will not be disappointed. If ticket prices doubled I would gladly pay the twenty plus dollars just to see it a second time.

Beautiful and touching film

Author: DramaQueen from Germany
10 March 2017

I watched this film today. It had me in tears. What a beautiful movie. The little boy is played by Freddie Highmore who I think is a great actor for his age. I haven't seen many of his films but he played the part beautifully. It is about a orphan boy who is musically intelligent and he leaves his boys home to go to NYC to look for his birth parents. His mother played by Keri Russell, was told by her father that the little baby boy was killed but in fact he was put up for adoption by him. When she learns that he is still alive she goes to find him. Keri Russell played the part of his mother really well. I'm not a big fan of Jonathan Rhys Meyers but he was OK in this film. The ending was so touching and it will definitely pull on your heart strings. A lovely film and definitely worth watching!

love love love

Author: tdowell-40280 from United States
20 October 2016

I remember the first time i ever seen august rush. I read the information and said this should be interesting. And i loved it so much. I love music and i love this movie. I will still be waiting for part 2 of this movie because i really wanna know how life went after reconnecting with his family after all these years. A total 10 from me. This movie touched me somewhere special i cry through the whole movie every time i watch it. Its romantic and funny and emotional. Every orphan or adopted kid should never stop looking for their birth parents because you never know if they are looking for you or thinking about you.

Sentimental Film with Excellent Music

Author: flavjohk from Pittsburgh, USA
18 August 2016

This movie revolves around an orphan named Evan Taylor played by Freddie Highmore. Evan is searching for his parents and driven by the music in his head. This theme propels the "quest". Both mother and father are musicians and their son turns out to be a prodigy Amadeus style. There are Oliver Twist overtones which provides the conflict.

Wizard, played by Robin Williams, takes the role of Fagin. New York city urchins give Wizard money they receive busking on the streets. Wizard plans to capitalize on Evan's talent and act as his promoter. August Rush is a name Wizard provides because it has more pop and marketability.

The highs and lows through the movie are mild and I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop Hollywood style. It was actually nice that a chainsaw wielding maniac did not show up and ruin everybody's day.

There is plenty of acoustic guitar music peppered through the movie, which adds to the experience. Mark Mancina's compositions are exceptional, which makes the soundtrack a compelling purchase.

Reviewers claim that the parents hookup is unrealistic or being drawn back together by the boys musical talent is highly unlikely. Every theater goer in world knows you have to check your skepticism in the lobby. To enjoy any film one must suspend their disbelief or not go in the first place. For those who did not like the movie my suggestion is to drive to the sketchy part of town wearing a sandwich board with ethnic slurs written in bold letters. Your day will get real and real quick.

A truly rare kind of film, over-the-top and a little storybook-like, but very truthful.

Author: swallacegrey
2 October 2015

The thing that strikes me about this film is that it definitely has a fantastical sort of story-telling, full of odd coincidences and some less-than-plausible aspects, but the film makes no effort to be anything other than what it is. The film doesn't try that hard to be documentary, because that's not what it set out to do. The film is meant to inspire and, IMO, it does a superb job. On paper this film sounds very clichéd and cookie-cutter. It is definitely a hard film to describe properly but here's my take:

While the film is technically about Evan "August Rush", it is equally focused on the parallel-story of his biological parents; Lyla, a world-class Cellist who has her whole life plotted out by her controlling father; and Louis, a decent rock-musician who is constantly berated and held back by his less-than-supportive brothers/band.

The real plot of the movie is about escaping inner loneliness to reach your true self. Evan deals with bullying at his orphanage for being "a freak". Lyla is controlled and suffocated by her father and peers, forbidden from doing anything "improper". Louis is deep and seeks a true partner but is teased by his shallow brothers for being too emotionally sensitive.

All 3 characters are motivated by music and love, all 3 are surrounded by idiots. As the movie progresses each character suffers consequences of other people's selfishness, meets obstacles, in the case of Evan's parents: bad timing and "real life", in the case of Evan: homelessness.

The woman who plays Lyla, Evan's mom, for me, is the strongest character, superbly acted and scripted, and perfectly cast. She and Robin Williams are the adult stars of the film - and in my opinion, this is one of Freddie Highmore's best childhood roles (IDK, apparently he's Norman bates now, IDK, I have no interest in that show). This film is not exactly for everyone though, as the camera work is a little "rough around the edges" and the story's a little in-your-face, subtlety-wise; but if you have parenthood issues, or a natural gift that others don't appreciate, or basically any emotional problems, boy is this the film for you!

The thing that, for me, sets this film apart is how 3D the characters are. I first noticed like in the scene where Louis's brother 1# teases Louis after not seeing each other for years after their falling out, 2# punches Louis at Louis' request, and #3 "cheers" Louis "up" after Louis' girl-friend angrily drives away by saying "aren't you supposed to be IN the car driving off to the sunset?". And it occurred to me, the brother, Louis' antagonist in the film, is actually TRYING to bond with his brother, but on a selfish "let's party" level, and it's not that his brother is actively trying to pour lemon juice on Louis' heartbreak, he's trying to help Louis feel better - though in all the WRONG ways. Basically every "villain" in this movie actually has a viable motivation for making the 3 protagonists' lives a living hell.

So the film's not about fighting villains or adversity, it's about fighting fundamental conflicts of principle. Louis' brothers seriously think they're doing the right thing, casting off his heartbreak over Lyla as "she's just a girl, you'll get over her" Lyla's dad seriously believes he's helping her by ruining every part of her non-Cello-playing life. This is what intrigues me above all else because this is how I think evil actually works.

Also fascinating is how it deals with the adult world, depicting a world where sex, drugs, and alcoholism clearly exists, but tastefully not focusing on it. In a way, Lyla's disinterest in the not-safe-for-kids surroundings of a party accentuates her inner predicament and censors the film at the same time.

So don't let this film's child star or rating fool you - this is a film with two, fully fleshed out, adult, and highly mature, intelligent main characters, and one child main character, each leading 3 separate stories that properly capture how that character sees and hears the world. Evans' scenes are filled with childlike curiosity of the outside world, Lyla and Louis' scenes are remarkably non-watered-down AND interesting depictions of the jaded problems adults face. I watched this film as an adolescent and appreciated Evan's character while being moderately not-bored with the adults' characters, I watched it again as an almost-adult and connected with the parents' characters while being okay with Evan's character. It defies the face of audience-aging conventions.

This film is a comprehensive guide on abusive relationships, true love for something greater, confronting the powerlessness of your situation, and inner healing, all wrapped up in a PG/G rated film. No small feat, in my opinion.

And the music is truly beautiful. The entire film integrates phrases and aspects of the final rhapsody throughout Evan's journey as he's inspired by his surroundings, so at the end, the preceding film is brought together and retold in his song. There are a few films that make me fight back tears. Toy Story 3, and this.

A somewhat amateurish film that achieves what it sets out to do: A musical journey of fighting against the apathy of others to reach your dream. What it lacks in objective quality, it more than makes up for in emotion - if the message speaks to you, but if you don't get it, you'll probably think "meh". But for ME, it's poetry, so for what it's worth, I HIGHLY recommend seeing this film.

Author: Amlan Kar from India
23 August 2015

August Rush (Evan Taylor) is a musically gifted orphan whose parents' love had blossomed from their appreciation of music and its majestic beauty. Evan's mother, Lyla Novacek is a gifted Cellist who hails from a family of wealth and power while his father, Louis Connelly is a multi-talented musician making his name in the lower levels of the music industry with energetic performances along with his band. They meet during one of his shows where their love buds out of their appreciation of the music in everything. They spend the night together after which Lyla's father, Thomas, who orchestrates Lyla's life to lead her to fame and recognition, forces Lyla away from Louis. But Lyla is left with Evan, whom she swears to protect with her life. Evan is born just after Lyla meets with an accident. Seizing the opportunity, Thomas sends Evan away to an orphanage before Lyla regains consciousness. The movie then follows Evan's adventure as he tries to reunite with his mother and father through his music.

Kirsten Sheridan directs this wonderful movie, and the viewer comes away from it with a new found multidimensional appreciation for the mystic enchantments of music. Since seeing the movie, I have become an avid listener of the rhythms of the everyday hustle-bustle, the streets and the sounds made by animals, horns, drills, bells and the trample of feet on the sidewalks. The movie exhibits impeccable music direction by Marc Mancina combined with fluidic direction and flawless execution.

I am especially fond of the many scenes in the film where August gets in the groove and loses himself in the music. He reveals the deep pleasure of letting go and following the creative flow. August Rush makes it clear that people like Lyla and Louis can make beautiful music together for one night that can play in their hearts for years. The movie also teaches us that we all need mentors to cheer us on so that the magic of the music can lead us where it wants us to go. And, most importantly, August Rush reminds us that the yearning of the heart is the best music of all for that is how we reach out to each other and discover the love that binds us together.

august rush

Author: lisasivertsen11 from United States
6 August 2015

this was without a doubt the best movie i have ever seen my whole family loves it i love music and i also play guitar and many other instruments the story about this little boy and his ear for music is just genius i have watched so many times and i will keep watching it its the most wonderful story about music and love it shows you that music is truly a language and if you really love music you will hear it every were you go just like august did please make more movies like this.i start watching this movie and i stay focused the entire move everybody should see this movie i believe every child and adult should experience music of all kinds its so relaxing and beautiful your life is it full with out it.

Awesome Movie!

Author: mpool-941-809330 from United States
6 February 2015

I read some of the reviews of this movie on here saying it was a bad movie with bad actors but they are wrong! It's a great moving story! The characters have a full background so you know who they are and where they came from. The actors fit their parts just right . They were a perfect pick for this movie! Keri Russell did very good at making you see what she was feeling. Freddie Highmore was just awesome as Evan. He makes you want to stop & listen to the music in everything! Jonathan Ryhs Meyers fit the part to a tee! I enjoyed watching it all the way thru!! Brought tears to my eyes . Just an awesome ending !! You will really love it , but have the tissues ready .

Only a few this good are made each year...

Author: HistoryProdADM from United States
14 November 2013

So I know this film is a few years old and since I rarely find the time to make review posts, I kind of lump them all together. Anyway, this film was magic for me. There's only a few movies a year that you watch and you just don't want it to end.. or when it does, you leave the theater (or your home theater) completely satisfied... and this was one of them. To talk to much about the plot or the story would be to give it away, but essentially it centers around a gifted orphan in search of his parents (and that's stripping it down to its most base theme).. The complete use of sound and score that accompanies this movie is amazing as is the cinematography. Beautifully shot, well made, well acted movie. Enough said!