IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Ghastly

Author: Davalon-Davalon from United States
13 September 2014

After what looked like a promising opening, this movie plummeted into a never-ending spiral of absolute predictability. There wasn't one authentic moment in the entire film.This loose take on "Oliver Twist" was an interesting concept, but, on film, as other reviewers have pointed out, there isn't anything believable about any of it. For example: Why does Evan, aka August Rush (give me a break -- Robin Williams (!) steals the name off the side of a truck going by at the very moment he wants to give Evan a new name!), suddenly escape from the school for troubled boys? He had plenty of other opportunities... why now? When Evan is "trapped" in the subway station with Robin Williams and Arthur, why is it only after Arthur smashes Robin Williams over the head with a guitar that Evan suddenly sees an alternative exit?

The list of "Whys?" and "Huhs?" go on ad infinitum. After Lyla and Louis's big love-fest on the rooftop, how is it that they remain ageless for the next 11 years?

And the predictability! I could smell it miles before it wafted into view. When Lyla's father is dying, of course he's going to make a deathbed confession about the child that she gave birth to (prematurely after being hit by a car, and yet apparently delivering the child without complications, and said child being signed away by her father, who didn't want the child to interrupt her career as a cellist... and yet, what hospital would have given him the papers that SHE needed to sign... and yet, how would Terrence Howard know that it wasn't her signature --yes, I'm sure she told him off screen, but still... it looks so odd when he says it out of the blue--)... and even though Daddy didn't tell her the baby was a "he" -- she immediately starts babbling on about "he" and "him". And why is it that all the black people in the film are basically support people? What about Arthur (Leon Thomas III), who seems to actually have real guitar-playing and vocal talent? It's so convenient that the white people are rich and pretty. I am white, and I found the whole movie blatantly racist.

I essentially watched the entire film in shock. I love dear darling departed Robin Williams, and for the life of me could not understand why he made this film. Everything was forced and fake.

And then bizarre odd moments: When Lyla decides to resume her brilliant career as a cellist (her face is oddly lifeless while she "plays" the cello), she has a rehearsal session with, apparently, her BFF who is also a pianist (?). At the rehearsal session, we hear the BFF egging her on, and yet we don't see the BFF. We just hear her disembodied voice. It was either a mistake, an oversight or a true Twilight Zone moment.

We also have Evan sitting at a piano, after a 20-second "lesson" by a darling little black girl whose teeth haven't all quite come in, playing notes in the opposite direction of what we actually hear on the soundtrack. For a movie about music, this is an inexcusable oversight.

Last, and most irritating was the use of "Moondance" as a connecting song, one that Louis sings to Lyla, and one that ends up in Evan's big "symphony" at the end... in what way was that original? Are we supposed to believe that the child, who apparently had never been exposed to a single note of music before escaping from the boys' home, knew the melody to "Moondance" and therefore brilliantly wove in "thematic elements" from it into his debut symphonic masterpiece? What a joke.

Overall, all of the actors seemed like puppets or robots and every "twist" and "turn" could be predicted. If you want to be amused by questionable choices on the part of every single person involved in this travesty and enjoy laughing out loud at pathetically obvious "telegraphed" "moments," this is your Saturday-night popcorn movie. If not, run for the hills.

Unique (no spoilers)

Author: dreamtheater03 from Netherlands
14 April 2008

Imagine a modern version of Oliver Twist, add beautiful classical and rock music and finish the mix with a somewhat predictable, but nevertheless intriguing love story and "August Rush" is the best that you can possible make out of it.

By watching the opening scene, showing Freddie Highmore in a corn field, I already suspected this could become something very special. It is not very often that a movie kept me hooked from start to end while forgetting everything around me, but "August Rush" pulled it of. The main reason for this is the music and the way how music is interweaved with the plot and that is what makes this movie unique. I have never seen or heard anything like it and I sincerely hope that I'll one day watch a movie that does an even better job. Freddie Highmore, who also performed admirably in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", is one of the very few 14-year old actors that can really act without any awkward moments. Jonathan Rhys Myers and Kerri Russell also perform flawlessly and the rest of the cast does an excellent job as well. It was very interesting to see Robin Williams in a role that was somewhere between good guy, which is his regular role, and bad guy. Saying much more about this could spoil the movie and I definitely don't want that...

This is one of those movies where I'm simply not in the mood for finding something to criticize it. But lets get over that for a few moments and look at the few flaws that are in present in this movie. Basically, the movie is a bit predictable and it has some corny elements in it. When you're about halfway in the movie, then most of the plot will be clear to the majority of viewers. However, I'm not going to let this gem of a movie lose any points for that, because most viewers will be so captivated by the movie that they will hardly (or not at all) notice.

The target group for this movie is a bit difficult to assess. It's not the "Fast and the furious" crowd that wants to see this, neither is it a real kids movie or a real chick flick. Perhaps it's better to categorize this movie as being targeted at people of all ages, that love music and want to see a feel-good movie with beautiful music and top notch acting. For these people this movie is highly, highly recommended! 10* out of 10

magical

Author: wewillrockyou_007 from India
24 February 2010

This is one of the best movie i have ever seen . It touches deep inside my soul .It will make you fall in love and will make you cry . It is a beautiful story about love and hope . It has a fairytale element in it so you need to have a great imagination to understand it . The music in it is just amazing and it really add life to the movie . I can easily say this is the best musical film i have ever seen . The movie tells a story of a orphan boy who is a musical genius and who believes that his parents will find one day . In the end all i can say that it is a perfect movie to watch with your family , with friends or even alone for a magical and unforgettable experience .

A good, modern fairy tale

Author: Siamois from Canada
21 August 2008

There have been strong reactions to this movie, both positive and negative. A lot of criticisms stem from the unbelievable nature of several plot points, which I find strange seeing as this movie has very little to do with reality. To cut to the chase, opinions that this movie is "worthless" or "crap" should be safely discarded as rubbish immediately. This is actually a solid film, even if it has flaws. There is, however, a certain public that will be turned off by the fantasy aspects and Disney-like elements found here.

The story follows a young boy raised in institutions and desperately wanting to meet his parents, which he knows nothing about. He is driven by his gift and passion for sounds and music. Parallel stories featuring his parents are also told and intersected in this movie. The direction here by Kirsten Sheridan is solid if we except the beginning of the movie, where the quick exposition to the characters and situation is absolutely awful and 80-ish in its rendition. In fact, Sheridan's main weakness seems to be in how to intersect the various bits and characters of the plot. But everything else is appropriate and on target.

The cast is solid, starting with teenager Freddie Highmore. While Highmore doesn't turn a Dakota Fanning or Haley Joel Osment performance, he is endearing and most of the time, totally believable as our main character. Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Keri Russell are great and their scenes together showcase very effective chemistry, which was definitely required. Terrence Howard continues to slowly rise in Hollywood as an actor who should be taken seriously. Finally, Robin Williams has a turn as a stereotypical "fairy tale baddie" that may seem over the top but is right on target for this genre.

But the biggest star of this film is probably music. To make this movie work and rise above countless feel-good movies, great, inspired music was required and fortunately, we get it in spades here. From rock to classical to soundtrack ambiances, everything here is well-meshed together, if a little artificial. Lovers of music will be more than satisfied, while actual musicians may be a wee bit disappointed by the treatment. It's still way, way above average. It's very, very good as a matter of fact.

I tremendously enjoyed August Rush, even with its small flaws. And I do believe those who couldn't get past those flaws are either missing the point, or simply do not enjoy this genre to begin with. Family-friendly entertainment has been a neglected genre, plagued with very poor entries that are totally uninspiring if we except a few movies. Lately, it seems we're seeing improvement and some thoughts put into the art of crafting good movies of this type. August Rush certainly exemplifies this and I recommend it strongly.

Tears of joy, and not ashamed to admit it.!

Author: MickyFin from Finland
14 November 2008

Now I have composed myself, Im ready to leave a comment after watching this great film "August Rush" Im a married man of 38, and not ashamed to say, this film brought me to tears, not tears of sadness, but tears of joy.! I actually sobbed at the end. This film really struck a chord in my soul. Great storyline, yes, you need an creative imagination, but that's what makes the wonder of a movie. Just let yourself go, and follow the path of this great storyline, be it completely off beat, and far from the norm in the respect of films of late, what we are lead to be the norm. Let your heart open. If you are a true music fan, musician, or even love soundtracks in the sense of Instrumentals, then this film will be a hit with you.

No film, in years of my life have touched me the way this film has, how has this film gone under the radar for so long? Watch it, and enjoy!

Huge disappointment

Author: harrie-11 from Netherlands
1 February 2011

Saw the trailer for this movie on another DVD and thought it might be a nice movie to watch. Wow, what a disappointment. I've seen fairy tales that were more believable than this. Each time you saw one of the actors doing something with a guitar, a studio-recorded bit of music was played, as if..... An insult to the audience. An adult woman supposedly loses her child without any proof of what happened with the baby. Did the hospital staff lie to her? Not any kind of death certificate? Come on. And what about the dad. He has this one night love affair, doesn't have a chance to speak to her after that and then walks around like a sad corporate zombie for 11 years? ELEVEN YEARS...get a life! I've seen lots of movies and never before wrote a comment on the IMDb, but I thought I should warn you about this one. Go and rent an old version of Oliver Twist, any version should be better than this.

A Sweet Melody

Author: jhazelett72 from Iowa
17 November 2007

My wife and I just returned from a sneak preview and we were blown away. Admitted music fans (I played alto saxophone and sang in my high school choir and my wife plays violin and viola), we had seen previews and were very excited to see the movie. We were not disappointed.

Freddie Highmore is mesmerizing as Evan Taylor/August Rush. His potential at this point is limitless and should not be marked by the "mixed" reviews this movie is receiving. Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers are pitch-perfect in their roles as Lyla Novacek and Louis Connelly, unknowing parents of August. Terrance Howard is sincere in the role of Richard Jeffries, social worker. But the biggest surprise is Robin Williams as Wizard.

***SPOILER ALERT*** Only from reading a critic's review did we know that Wizard would turn out to be a bad guy. However, we were stunned to find out that Robin Williams plays a mean, greedy, and controlling jerk whose only goal is to manipulate young people into playing music on the street to make money for him. That being said, the fact that we hated Wizard so much in the movie shows that Robin Williams is as talented an actor as you will find in movies today.

***END SPOILER*** The only reason we are not giving August Rush 10 out of 10 stars is the limited back-story we get for many of the characters. It is not exactly clear why Lyla's father seems intent on ruining her life. Does her mother have any say? Why is Wizard so cruel? Did he grow up without parents and in foster care as it is suggested? These are just a few of the many questions for which we would have liked answers.

However, as August states in the beginning of the film, he thinks of music the way most people think of fairy tales. So a little story left to the imagination is acceptable. In the end, the movie touched our hearts. And though some are calling it too sentimental, it simply hit the right chord with us.

Magnificent

Author: Gareth Glover from United Kingdom
14 April 2008

I must add to the posted at the top Remay 1. There is nothing worse than a musical snob. Your review made me cringe. Who on earth do you think you are. If you think the music is rubbish to must have a serious hearing disorder. I suggest you go away and be superior somewhere else. You are utterly pathetic.

August Rush I had heard good word of mouth from cinema goers but this was slated by some heavyweight critics. Well all I can say is I don't feel angry at such negative reviews for such a magnificent film I feel sorry for people like French who must be so cynical and cold hearted that he just cannot see a film of great beauty anymore or suspend disbelief. The IMDb rating bucked the critics reviews with an average 7.5 which is a high mark.

My question is HOW CAN SO MANY CRITICS GET IT SO SO WRONG !.

Now this World is full of cynics who will no doubt call me a sentimental old sod but this film knocked me sideways and is the best film I have seen for at least 4 years.

It is about an orphan who was taken from his mother without her knowledge after a 1 night stand. The father does not know of his existence and the mother thinks he's dead. The parents are both musical supremo's in their own rights. The parents never see each other again. Anyway the boy wants to find his parents through the power of music and love. He escapes the orphanage 11 years later to his search for this parents.

It all culminates in Central Park, New York when the parents are drawn to a concert August Rush has written. Coincidences have to be accepted in good faith and by the time of the reunion at the end I felt a tear rolling down my cheek for the first time for many years at a film such was its beauty. This is a film that strikes a chord with me for many reasons and is installed in my top 10 of all time and to hell with what the critics say. Stunning and beautiful.

Finally. Something at least semi-original out of "Hollywood".

Author: david-4609 from United States
1 November 2007

My wife is in exhibition management (I'd say theater management, but that leads way too many half-wits to ask her for help getting an acting job...). As she is a turn-around specialist, she puts in many hours at work, and often I'm forced to tolerate some piece of digestive end product being passed off as creative entertainment by what are laughingly called the finest studios in the world in order to spend time with her.

When she gave me a choice of special showings I chose August Rush because it seemed the first really original story line I'd seen in nearly 10 years. The movie did not disappoint. It was uplifting, exhilarating and moving.

The music was fantastic, and eclectic enough to suit a wide range of tastes. If the ending was happy and the plot was simplified to return to a reasonable feature length, it was well worth the hokey assumption that a musical prodigy can learn to write music correctly with no training.

While I myself struggle with the bagpipe chanter, my mother and her siblings were musically talented and well known for their ability to play a tune note perfectly after hearing it once. While they eventually learned to read and write music, they composed long before they ever did so. This story is not so unlikely.

This move was well casted. Robin Williams played a role which was different, and showed he can really connect with people in a rather surprising way. I liked the way the movie brought together elements which crossed ethnic and socioeconomic lines.

I will be back to see this film again, and pay cash to do so. I haven't heard original music this good in a movie since Coyote Ugly and Titanic. The plot was fast paced, original, splendidly timed and left no loose ends. A must see picture.

This film not only grabs your heart but it grips your soul.

Author: Joe Perry from United States
29 November 2007

I'm never biased when it comes to rating a movie. If it's pretty good I say it's pretty good and why. If it's horrible I do like wise. If it's great then I say it's great but i still mention the things that to me seemed to flaw it in whatever small ways that they did. However, I just finished watching August Rush and I am in no way exaggerating when I say that it is by far the best movie I have ever seen. It not only grabs your heart from the very first scene but it grabs your soul within the first thirty minutes and by the time the movie's climax arrives you're in it so deep that whether you're Mr. Macho who wouldn't cry at his own mother's funeral or just someone who's bored and wants to see something that will be worth watching you will undoubtedly be wiping your eyes with your shirt sleeve and not caring who sees because everyone around you will be wetting their sleeves as well. Freddie Highmore takes the role of August Rush and delivers what will probably be (and very well should be) an Oscar winning performance. Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers do excellent jobs as well. In fact, everyone --including Robin Williams -- does a wonderful job. I'm not going to go into depth about this movie's plot because I don't want to take away from the surprise of how well written and in depth it is but just keep in mind that of all the movies that have come out this year (including the ones I have not yet seen, and I can say that with certainty after seeing this movie) this one is by far the cream of the crop and for me it will be a long time before any movie does to me what this one did. Go see August Rush, you will not be disappointed. If ticket prices doubled I would gladly pay the twenty plus dollars just to see it a second time.