IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Even casual musicians will be insulted

Author: Mason1024 from Here
27 March 2010

There has never been and can never be a musical genius with even a fraction of the main character's talent. Mozart would be an absolute imbecile compared to this little kid August Rush, and for those familiar with music, this aspect (the foundation, really) just kills the movie.

It is impossible to play like Michael Hedges in your first few minutes with a guitar. Ditto with a piano, and any other instrument. If it were a martial arts movie, the kid would beat his master to death two minutes into his very first lesson. Too impossible, even for a fairy tale.

But, if you don't know a saxophone from a sitar, or perhaps if you are _infinitely_ forgiving, maybe you can enjoy it.

I literally though I had missed out on this film

Author: tony_hawk2 from United States
9 July 2009

I'm 17 years old and when I watched this movie earlier tonight I had no idea of the background, or when it was made. And honestly, the atmosphere of this movie made it seem like it was made in the early 90's and was a well renowned kids film. When I heard it was only made two years ago I was shocked, I was unfamiliar with all the lead roles except for Terrence Howard and Robin Williams, and they looked youthful as if this movie could have been made many years ago. It so well captured all the good aspects of the touching, tumultuous search of an orphan in search of something better. The whole way through I thought it was just some movie I had missed out on as a younger kid and I was thrilled to see they still make movies like this today.

This movie was touching on so many levels.

Author: dougstone1965 from United States
2 July 2009

So many people miss the the most important meaning of this story. It is the immutable bond of parent and child. Until you have had children and lost them for whatever reason, this story will be a complete mystery to you. For those of you who have had children and lost them, I don't need to explain. Our children will always garner the best of their parents and with the right guidance, will always be greater than the sum of their parts. It is an unavoidable fact of life.

Parents and children lost to each other at birth or even later almost always seek each other out. Some are successful, some are not. What almost always comes to light is an almost eerie parallel to each other's life uninfluenced by any other factors than the natural progression of maturation and heredity. This movie is one of my all time favorites, it cannot fail to touch even the most hardened heart. Great story and film.

Poetic Genius - I loved this movie!

Author: Katie Owles from United States
3 October 2008

This was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time, maybe ever...The music, the dialogue, the story, it all speaks right to the heart and it leaves you glowing with happiness and admiration. The actors were all beautiful and the performances were poetic. This is art! Watching this movie prompted me to look up the writer, request Freddie Highmore as a myspace friend, and register for an IMDb account just to post this comment! It is full of modern greatness and the story supported the whole movie without any need for stunts, sex, or violence to entertain the audience. I wish there were more movies like this!!! I can't believe how much I loved this movie. It speaks to me of the simple elegance that Hollywood used to be. I watched it twice back to back and just listening to the movie is as nice as watching it. I knew I loved the movie after 10 minutes of watching it and I was chewing my nails right up to the end. This movie was absolutely wonderful and I will keep it as an inspirational example of poetic genius. Well done!!!!!! Refreshing.

A good, modern fairy tale

Author: Siamois from Canada
21 August 2008

There have been strong reactions to this movie, both positive and negative. A lot of criticisms stem from the unbelievable nature of several plot points, which I find strange seeing as this movie has very little to do with reality. To cut to the chase, opinions that this movie is "worthless" or "crap" should be safely discarded as rubbish immediately. This is actually a solid film, even if it has flaws. There is, however, a certain public that will be turned off by the fantasy aspects and Disney-like elements found here.

The story follows a young boy raised in institutions and desperately wanting to meet his parents, which he knows nothing about. He is driven by his gift and passion for sounds and music. Parallel stories featuring his parents are also told and intersected in this movie. The direction here by Kirsten Sheridan is solid if we except the beginning of the movie, where the quick exposition to the characters and situation is absolutely awful and 80-ish in its rendition. In fact, Sheridan's main weakness seems to be in how to intersect the various bits and characters of the plot. But everything else is appropriate and on target.

The cast is solid, starting with teenager Freddie Highmore. While Highmore doesn't turn a Dakota Fanning or Haley Joel Osment performance, he is endearing and most of the time, totally believable as our main character. Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Keri Russell are great and their scenes together showcase very effective chemistry, which was definitely required. Terrence Howard continues to slowly rise in Hollywood as an actor who should be taken seriously. Finally, Robin Williams has a turn as a stereotypical "fairy tale baddie" that may seem over the top but is right on target for this genre.

But the biggest star of this film is probably music. To make this movie work and rise above countless feel-good movies, great, inspired music was required and fortunately, we get it in spades here. From rock to classical to soundtrack ambiances, everything here is well-meshed together, if a little artificial. Lovers of music will be more than satisfied, while actual musicians may be a wee bit disappointed by the treatment. It's still way, way above average. It's very, very good as a matter of fact.

I tremendously enjoyed August Rush, even with its small flaws. And I do believe those who couldn't get past those flaws are either missing the point, or simply do not enjoy this genre to begin with. Family-friendly entertainment has been a neglected genre, plagued with very poor entries that are totally uninspiring if we except a few movies. Lately, it seems we're seeing improvement and some thoughts put into the art of crafting good movies of this type. August Rush certainly exemplifies this and I recommend it strongly.

Excellent Movie for music lovers!

Author: jokejong from Singapore
24 June 2008

This movie blew my expectations out! I wasn't expecting a lot in the first place, thinking maybe this is another of those simple inspirational yet touching movie... however, what I didn't realize is how rich the movie is in terms of the originality of the plot and its music companionship.

You will definitely enjoy this movie when watching with your loved ones or if you are an avid music lover. Music featured in the song ranges from Classicals to Rock, which is what made me fell so in love with.

The movie was also gripping! Hope for the better life that we're all expecting from August Rush just keeps us on the edge of our seat..!

This is a movie not to be missed, and because this blows my mind so much, I decided to give it FULL MARKS!

Music is the Movie

Author: scottarnold from United States
20 May 2008

While this movie is not a musical, it could be said that music is the movie. It's not a story about a boy searching for his parents. It's a story about how music can fill our souls, express our emotions, and journey with us through life. The music in the movie is excellent, and it's the only movie of it's kind, at least as far as I know.

I know this movie won't be for everyone. But for some of us such as myself -- who love music and emotion; who believe that music can tell a story, even if a fanciful one -- I believe it is a flawless execution. A movie meant to be heard more than seen.

"The music is all around us. All you have to do, is listen."

Unique (no spoilers)

Author: dreamtheater03 from Netherlands
14 April 2008

Imagine a modern version of Oliver Twist, add beautiful classical and rock music and finish the mix with a somewhat predictable, but nevertheless intriguing love story and "August Rush" is the best that you can possible make out of it.

By watching the opening scene, showing Freddie Highmore in a corn field, I already suspected this could become something very special. It is not very often that a movie kept me hooked from start to end while forgetting everything around me, but "August Rush" pulled it of. The main reason for this is the music and the way how music is interweaved with the plot and that is what makes this movie unique. I have never seen or heard anything like it and I sincerely hope that I'll one day watch a movie that does an even better job. Freddie Highmore, who also performed admirably in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", is one of the very few 14-year old actors that can really act without any awkward moments. Jonathan Rhys Myers and Kerri Russell also perform flawlessly and the rest of the cast does an excellent job as well. It was very interesting to see Robin Williams in a role that was somewhere between good guy, which is his regular role, and bad guy. Saying much more about this could spoil the movie and I definitely don't want that...

This is one of those movies where I'm simply not in the mood for finding something to criticize it. But lets get over that for a few moments and look at the few flaws that are in present in this movie. Basically, the movie is a bit predictable and it has some corny elements in it. When you're about halfway in the movie, then most of the plot will be clear to the majority of viewers. However, I'm not going to let this gem of a movie lose any points for that, because most viewers will be so captivated by the movie that they will hardly (or not at all) notice.

The target group for this movie is a bit difficult to assess. It's not the "Fast and the furious" crowd that wants to see this, neither is it a real kids movie or a real chick flick. Perhaps it's better to categorize this movie as being targeted at people of all ages, that love music and want to see a feel-good movie with beautiful music and top notch acting. For these people this movie is highly, highly recommended! 10* out of 10

cheesy, horrible acting, and full of clichés

Author: tedster_98 from United States
19 March 2008

I saw this one on an airline trip and I am glad I didn't waste $4 renting it. It had horrible acting, over-cliché'd roles (gotta have the token ghetto black kids and a baptist church), an undeveloped plot (little filler to explain the boy's childhood or how he got his gift), and an overbearing, repetitive musical score. In addition, the one night stand between Rush's parents seemed SO implausible. (especially since both were sober.) This was a sugary sweet, chick flick done VERY poorly. Even external characters were badly acted. Robin William's character was unrealistic and not menacing enough. Heck, this one was stolen right out of oliver twist. The child placement agency didn't really seem to be too active in looking for the missing Rush....

overall it was very, very mildly entertaining, but don't waste your $ on a rental. Wait until it is released for TV.

If you had the vaguest of imaginations, you will probably predict it!

Author: Thauseef Ahmed from United States
13 March 2008

With a star cast that consisted of Robin Williams, Terence Howard, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and one of the biggest star kids in Hollywood -Freddie Highmore, a story about a musical genius, it has to be a brilliant movie, hasn't it? Wrong. Instead, this is by far the cheesiest, most predictable trash I have seen this year. Jonathan Rhys Meyers sleepwalks through the movie and the Irish angle that did wonders for Gerard Butler in PS - I love you, only ends up sounding clichéd here.There is no hint of romance between the lead pair. Freddie Highmore who did wonders in movies such as Finding Neverland and Charlie and Chocolate factory, just comes up looking like a kid who has no clue what he is doing. Robbin Williams is entirely wasted in a role that neither has the melancholic undertones that it ought to, nor the dilemma his character must have had. Terence Howard manages to look serious and mournful through out the movie, and while those very traits did wonders for him in Crash and Hustle and Flow, here, they only make you wonder what he is even doing in the movie.

The final verdict? While the makers seem to been successful in assembling a powerful star cast, if only they had paid half as bit importance to the script, they would have a much more watchable movie.

Chances are, you will yawn when you see the kid in the field for the first time, and right through the movie till the credits roll.

5 on 10.