IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Was gobsmacked by true awfulness

Author: teanbics from London, UK
29 November 2007

I have only myself to blame for ending up in a cinema watching this. I knew absolutely nothing about it before turning up and thought I'd give it a go.

I can't believe that people are still making such utterly nauseating schmaltz. It's not even feelgood schmaltz, it's schmaltz of the lowest quality, which makes you want to grab the 2 hours of your life back spent watching it. The only reason we stayed until the end was out of purely scientific curiosity to see quite how bad the film could get.

The plot was laughable and all the performances were either unremarkable or really quite bad.

Honestly, give it a miss and spend your time staring into space instead - it would be much more worthwhile.

Music can truly bond us together

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
15 November 2007

(My Synopsis) Lyla Novacek (Keri Russell) is a brilliant cellist who has just finish performing a concert in New York City. Lyla goes out on the town with her girlfriend and end up at a party near New York's Washington Square. She meets Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) an Irish guitar player. They share the love of music and end up falling in love and bonding together that night. It was the most wonderful night in Lyla's life. Lyla must rush back to the hotel where her father Thomas (William Sadler) is waiting for her. Lyla promised to meet Louis in Washington Square, but her father forces her to go to her next concert. They are like two ships that pass in the night, never to see each other again, except for the fact that Lyla is now with child. Sadly, Lyla is in a car accident and the unborn child is lost. Eleven years pass and Lyla's father is on his death bed, and he must tell her the truth that he secretly gave Lyla's baby boy up for adoption. August Rush (Freddie Highmore) is her child, who was born with the gift to hear music all around him. He believes that he will find his parents if they only hear his music, because they are truly bonded by their music.

(My Comment) The movie is a human interest story about a young boy's unyielding faith and will power to never give up on his dream. However, the probability of all the events that happen in this movie to make all the connections is a little unrealistic. The scenes have a fantasy element, while at the same time, manages to integrate real life events. There are some exceptional musical performances, especially from a young girl gospel singer named Hope (Jamia Simone Nash). The majority of the story is told through the emotions of the actors by means of their music. The acting was excellent and so was the classical, rock, and gospel music. I enjoyed the movie, but the story has a problem of the lack of believability. So if you go, just remember, it's only a movie. You will like the music and you may even shed a tear. (Warner Bros. Pictures, Run time 1:53, Rated PG) (6/10)

A Real Tear-Jerker

Author: Andrew Ritter from Niagara Falls, NY
20 February 2011

OK. I'm a guy. But I've got to tell you that I've watched this movie three times and, every time, I cried at the ending. It's nice watching something that has a happy ending because, in life, there are too many unhappy ones. What I really think we're talking about, here, is hope. And there seems to be little enough of that today in the world. The faith and hope this young boy has in the story that some day he will find his parents no matter what others say. I'm sure that running into your father (or son) by accident without knowing it, especially in New York City, is a statistical impossibility, but they do. And they both feel something special about that meeting although they don't know what. And August's mother has this feeling that he's alive, that he's out there somewhere. Twins separated at birth have the feeling that their other twin exists. Sometimes you just need to enjoy a really wonderful movie and not pick it to pieces. This is one of them. Bravo!!!

One Word = Superb! (Thiz Review contains Spoiler)

Author: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com from Indonesia
17 April 2010

When I first went to watch "August Rush", I thought I had to check thiz out just because it's one of the musical movies (Recently, I have seen many and I'm kind of enamored of those musical movies). In the end of the movie, I realize thiz movie is so full-hearted. The story is very simple but strong, I always appreciate simple movie that can express a lot. It's a story about a boy who's eager to find his origin and meaning of his presence. Thiz boy is natural born talent in music, just like his father and mother who are talented musicians. It's all about music. It's told beautifully, the plot has some flashback moments. But don't worry you will not be confused by its method of story-telling. It's directed by woman Director, Kirsten Sheridan. The wonder boy Freddie Highmore performs impressively with his innocent charisma. I think Highmore is definitely lucky to always get involved in some memorable movies. Another Actor who performs a significant role in thiz movie is Jonathan Rhys Myers. He is very lovable, his role as a rock star makes him looks cool. About the ending (Spoiler Alert!), the movie ends with the scene when his father and mother has finally met after many years. And not long after that, they find their boy in a concert stage as well, performs as conductor in an orchestra. The boy doesn't even know his parents have been watching him. And the movie just ends that way. I very much understand that is the perfect ending, that scene describes with beautiful and elegant way. It shows the meaning of hope could be better from now on. It's a very strong description. Superb.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com

Just when your hope is gone.....

Author: Skylightmovies from United Kingdom
23 March 2010

I really wasn't ready for the emotional impact of this magical story.

It happened to combine loss, yearning, romance and music into a touching bittersweet fairytale. But a fairytale that you so want to believe in.

Freddie Highmore drew you into the sensual world of a lonely neglected child desperate to create beautiful things. Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Keri Russell were well suited as sincerely in love lovers and Robin Williams was a surprise portraying the obligatory 'bad guy' alternatively lashing out with cynicism then touching vulnerability.

The fateful coincidences are the kind you dream of when you think your loss is to be born forever.

And as if that wasn't enough, the aural feast was a soundtrack worthy of an Oscar.

This film made me want to try.

Much better then I thought it would be

Author: element78655 from United States
20 June 2008

This movie seemed like it would be okay, but it turned out to be a GREAT movie. It's a fantastic movie for both Children and Adults, though the movie is most likely preferred by Children because it's fictional, still it was a GREAT story and didn't drag at all, close to 2 hours seemed to fly by and I wish it hadn't ended. This movie has some great acting it makes you believe like it's an actual story. Great screenplay and songs were played. Overall this movie is great for both the family and also for anyone interested in Music, it was truly inspirational, I loved it, it was everything I expected and more, its definitely underrated.

A feel-good movie with minor flaws

Author: bsvends1 from Norway
23 April 2008

A lot of people have already pointed out that you shouldn't watch this movie if you don't like fairy tales. However, if you leave logic and other boring things from real life at the door, you may have a nice time.

I admit there're a few moments when things went a little overboard, but all in all the movie gave me a good feeling and that's all that matters to me. If the story intrigues you, see it, I'm pretty sure you'll feel good too:-).

August Rush is worth watching for us who still have some dreams inside of us and don't need to be reminded of the world we live in all the time!

A Great Piece of Work

Author: cjhinx from United States
23 May 2010

What a refreshing change from the normal movie scene. This movie is one of the best written movies I have seen. Each scene in the movie ties into the main story line without being predictable. The music is the thread that helps tie everything together. It was a story rich in character and plot. I would agree it is a modern day Oliver Twist. Definitely a classic. I would love to see Freddie Highmore in another movie. He is a very talented young actor. He deserved his award for Best Performance by a Young Actor. This movie was entertaining and thought provoking with its message to listen to the music all around you. I hope more directors and producers will make films like this one.

Sweetest Movie I have seen in years

Author: jeffreyjets from United States
4 April 2010

August Rush is quite simply one of the best movies I have seen in years. I loved that it dealt with tough subjects of life along with an endearing faith in hope and they do it without all the harsh language and cheap thrills of sex. The acting, storyline, direction and cinematography are very good with special mention for Robin Williams, Terence Howard and Keri Russell. The music, of course, is the highlight. The score is always interesting and integrating the stories of the main characters together. They did use the technique of time line jumping for a period of time, jumping back and forth in time, which does annoy some people. Young and old really enjoy this movie and the music. I have no idea how it didn't win an award for best score.

Even casual musicians will be insulted

Author: Mason1024 from Here
27 March 2010

There has never been and can never be a musical genius with even a fraction of the main character's talent. Mozart would be an absolute imbecile compared to this little kid August Rush, and for those familiar with music, this aspect (the foundation, really) just kills the movie.

It is impossible to play like Michael Hedges in your first few minutes with a guitar. Ditto with a piano, and any other instrument. If it were a martial arts movie, the kid would beat his master to death two minutes into his very first lesson. Too impossible, even for a fairy tale.

But, if you don't know a saxophone from a sitar, or perhaps if you are _infinitely_ forgiving, maybe you can enjoy it.