IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I was compelled to watch this against my will

Author: Joel Rosenbaum from Boston, MA
31 December 2007

And this is why my will should be more highly regarded. What to say, other than that this is the kind of sappy, melodramatic garbage that's more fit for Sunday afternoon viewing on the Hallmark channel? Let's begin with the plot, which actually doesn't exist. The movie simply rambles aimlessly from one episode to the next, shamelessly invoking deus ex machina when needed. In some ways it feels like something Terry Gilliam might have made in his absolute nadir after downing bottles of fluoxetine.

I suppose you could call this movie character driven, but those characters are depressingly shallow. Some of them, such as the one played by Robin Williams, are severely irritating and detract from little the movie has going for it. There is no point in going into too much detail here, but this brings me to the Robin Williams corollary; the man hasn't been involved in an above-average movie in over a decade. It stands to mention that only a small minority of the past decades' films featuring Williams are even actually average.

So in summary; I want my money back. In fact, I want more than my money back; I considered my time watching this movie as working. It was a truly herculean effort not to walk out. Shouldn't I be rewarded for that?

Very Disappointing - Missable, Daft, Chick Movie (and I'm a Chick!)

Author: MRavenwood from United States
27 December 2007

I am writing this as an alternate viewpoint to the praise heaped on this film over these pages. Bottom line, the film is inoffensive, but really not very substantive entertainment-wise or message-wise. It starts with a CGI treatment of a wheat field on the opening credits, which looks distractingly silly. It weakly conveys that the main character (a boy named Evan Taylor) believes he has some kind of control over the field, but it falls short of the intended correlation to his sensation of "music everywhere" which is better illustrated later in the film. The story set up is VERY slow and heavy-handed in establishing Evan's beliefs about one day finding his parents. Only half way through the film does there begin to be any appreciable progress with regard to the plot. Sure, things happen to the characters, but nothing really connects the audience to their emotion.

On the positive side, Robin Williams appears in this film in a role that is suited for him and that he plays in a restrained and powerful way. His character is the least trite, although you can somewhat "see him coming" from the moment he enters. Another highlight is the character of "Arthur X" a child musician who basically drives the plot forward all on his own for most of the second act. One senses that this actor Leon G. Thomas is capable of much more than the "official black ghetto kid" dialog he is given. Terrence Howard turns in an elegant performance with his portrayal of a caring social worker. Overall, the film doesn't require a *little* imagination or suspension of disbelief, it requires whole re-calibrations of reality from scene to scene. Not that you would think it's true-to-life, but it doesn't even make sense within its own parameters. Lastly, the music is all over the place thematically, stylistically and not cohesively or meaningfully - although there are some great players performing. An interesting concept for a film, but I found nothing to take away from it. If you want to see a feel-good film in this genre done correctly, check out Serendipity.

A Wonderful Fairy Tale of Music and Love

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 December 2011

In the Walden County Home for Boys, the eleven year-old orphan Evan Taylor (Freddie Highmore) dreams on the day that his unknown parents will bring him home. He listens to the sounds everywhere and he is bullied by the older boys that mock him.

Eleven years ago, the cellist Lyla Novaceck (Keri Russell) and the vocalist and guitarist of a pop band Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) spend one night together, but Lyla travels with her father Thomas Novacek (William Sadler) on the next morning and they never see each other again. Lyla gets pregnant but she has an accident and when she awakes in the hospital, her father tells her that she lost her baby. Louis unsuccessfully seeks out Lyla and coincidently they both quit music.

One day, Evan flees from the orphanage and goes to New York, following the sounds and expecting to meet his parents. Evan befriends a boy that brings him to an old building where he meets the exploiter "Wizard", who takes advantage of children that beg for him in the Central Park. "Wizard" recognizes that Evan is a prodigy and makes money with him, changing his name to August Rush since there is a social services agent seeking him out. When August visits a church, the pastor indicates him to the Julliard. Meanwhile Lyla learns that she has a son and Louis still seeks her out, and they both restart their careers of musicians.

"August Rush" is a wonderful fairy tale of music and love. I bought this DVD a couple of years ago and I have not given any attention to this film and only today I have watched it. The delightful story has pleasant characters and even the "Wizard" is a nice villain. The unbelievable plot has holes, like the exaggerated talent of the boy or why Louis is not able to locate Lyla, but who cares? They are part of the magic of this film. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "O Som do Coração" ("The Sound of the Heart")

nothing spectacular

Author: adultblues from Singapore
7 March 2008

OK, i was undecided about this movie the poster looks OK, the plot summary somewhat interesting, and i need to watch something inspiring. knowing how predictable such a movie can be, i check comments here before heading to the theatres well, i think the movie is nothing spectacular, i was not moved or impressed i don't have high expectation, just want to go along with a heart warming story but nowhere in the movie was there a moving moment first, the love story. well, simply put, there was nothing to it, just guy meet girl, both out of no where. one night stand, that's it. both went about their lives after that, for 11 years next, the main character, his life was just boring, yes, poor kid, waiting for his parents to come and get him, that's it followed by robbin williams, didn't even know he is in this movie till the movie started and saw his name at the opening credits then, boy search parents, nothing to get viewers excited movie moves in to boost drama, boy gets to play music. up to this point, the music etc was nothing spectacular one boring scene to another and the search is over i was really hoping for some great music at least at the end, nothing, the ending was short (good & bad) and lack impact i know at many points, the director was trying to show how string the connection & love is between the 2 people who spent something like 10 hours together and made a baby genius.

i know the director was trying to show how talented the boy is when he writes, thinks, composes his music, but i just don't feel it at all the theatre was some 25-35% full, and nobody connected with the movie by the way, viewers were a good mix of adults, professionals, students and housewives, everybody was just glad this boring movie was over

An Insult To Anyone's Intelligence

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 March 2008

I was more-than-willing to give this a good shot and enjoy a nice feel-good film starring the likable Freddie Highmore ("Charlie," of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" fame). However, when I start hearing 10- year-old uneducated street urchins talking with vocabularies like college professors and saying things that no little kid would say, I get turned off. Add to that more Hollywood politically-correctness and low morality.....and so much for the nice, feel-good story.

The sweet-looking "good girl" of the story meets a guy on the roof of a building, sleeps with 20 minutes later. They agree to meet somewhere the next day but her parents whisk her back to where she came from, and the two don't connect. Nine months later the baby arrives right when the mother has a car accident. The father says the kid died but really he had given the boy to child services.

Meanwhile, the boy - now 11 and living in an orphanage - runs off to New York City somehow figuring that magically, through hearing music, he'll meet his parents. Sound a little far out? Yeah, it is, and even more so as you see if play out.

It's a nice message of young boy never losing faith that he would meet his parents some day but the way he eventually does is so ridiculous, so far out, so unrealistic.....that it insults your intelligence. This turns out to be an Oliver Twist wannabe that isn't even close to the latter in quality and believability. Robin Williams as a "wizard" ("Fagin" in "Oliver Twist") ought to tell you something.

Meanwhile, "Evan" (Highmore) meets up with this street kid ("Arthur," played by Leon Thomas) is verbally annoying as hell...and things progress from there. There are so many plot holes and contrivances in this film, you couldn't count them all. Examples? Well, the kid learns about sheet music one day and two hours later he's written compositions that would make Beethoven proud. Later, he gets accepted to the Julliard School of Music despite the fact he has no credentials or background on who he is and where he's from!!

If you have any brain at all, this movie is a slap-in-the-face to you.

Absolutely appalling

Author: Alejandro Llois from Brazil
26 March 2012

This is one of the worst movies I've seen. I signed up for IMDb especially to review it, because I think it has an incredibly high rating for the total rubbish it is. I decided to watch this movie based on that and I can honestly say it doesn't deserve it. Though I'm rather cynical I have enjoyed some 'fairy-taley' movies, but this one fails on every level. It has a disgustingly non-believable plot, a wholly indolent protagonist (actually the whole cast seems to go about with no commitment to the film whatsoever), an utter lack of any personality and a shallow treatment of everything. It is a film where music plays a very prominent role, and the soundtrack is totally forgettable. There many other good movies around, don't watch this one.

Why? Why? Why?

Author: frances-bluebell from france
17 April 2012

Utter drivel. That is about all I can say about it. I have joined IMDb just to comment on this film. And I resent giving it even one star. There should be an option for no stars.

I wish I had not wasted about 2 hours of my life watching this non-sensical whimsy. I selected it on the basis that it had a 7.4 rating from IMDb reviewers, but I am just going to make our film selections completely randomly from now on because 7.4 is no way to rate this film. Awful, awful, awful. Give it a wide berth, fellow humans.

And I am truly appalled by reviews that say if you don't love this film, you have no imagination. This film is what lacks imagination. Utterly dreadful, implausible, sentimental claptrap of the highest order.

Avoid at all costs.

No one came out looking good

Author: sean89928 from Luxembourg
14 February 2008

Based on all the implausibilities i gave this a 3. Based on the fact that i managed to stay interested until the end i gave it a 6.

It is crap but it is watchable. I don't know if i've ever thought that about a movie before.

So in the end i plunked for a 4.5 score.

Story, orphan finds his parents who were unaware he was alive thru music. Kid ends up conducting the NY philharmonic 6 months after first learning to play music. cough cough......

bad but somehow i got to the end.

Other reviewers compared it to 'Oliver'. Oliver is classic, this story had to have been whipped up while micro-waving 2 minute noodles.

Aw Gut Rush

Author: bigkahones51 from United States
6 January 2008

(SPOILERS)---If it's even possible to add to this festering tripe of what is proffered to be a beefy movie) 'August Rush' should be called Aw Gold Rush. It's a little better than (and assimilates to)'Death to Smoochy' (also played in by Robin Williams. Not that this makes Mr Williams a bad actor, etc.) This movie gives me that same feel with some 'Pay It Forward' mixed in. The movie conveniently and carefully avoids depicting actions of certain characters as irresponsible instead rewarding and spares us the sordid details other than self-ascribed depression. I recall class-assigned required reading of Charles Dickens novels. The characters behave as high-minded persons who don't respond with common-sense thinking. They feel, but don't think , deep. After this love-at-first-sight, horny-tonight rendezvous... maybe it's just the music they hear---that mesmerizes all..yeah, it's the music's fault. oh, I loved the 'dueling guitars' and no one was retarded, just gifted. No scene to suffer for deliverance (from). I could go on how this movie is crafty, I mean crafted, why bother? ah, the striking resemblance of the primary duo to (is that Nicole Kidman? and Ray (what's-his-face)..oh yeah, Liotta) both younger versions decidedly of course, but damn it's almost like the clone machine was tweaked un-beknownst to us. okay ,they're not the real two; but that's in line with the gist of this movie. ***ROBIN WILLIAMS***, ***TERRENCE HOWARD***...are they really in this movie? funny, I thought anybody could play those parts. Well, I guess I'm not the classy-cal, new-age, old-school, happy-melancholy, techno-inspired type to swatch this movie. But my date said she liked it.

If this movie were Tinker Bell, it would be dead

Author: beginnersmind-2 from United States
4 July 2008

What's good about this movie:

* It's better than both Morvern Callar and Pearl Harbor.

* The cast is mostly good looking.

* Most of the music is pretty good.

What's not good about this movie (and these are really all the same thing):

* Requires disbelief to be not so much suspended as repealed.

* The plot would not have been believable even if you were stoned, drunk, and high on crack.

* If this movie were Tinker Bell, it would be dead.

Thanks to wikipedia for pointing out the correct spelling of Tinker Bell...