IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 37: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

An Insult To Anyone's Intelligence

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 March 2008

I was more-than-willing to give this a good shot and enjoy a nice feel-good film starring the likable Freddie Highmore ("Charlie," of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" fame). However, when I start hearing 10- year-old uneducated street urchins talking with vocabularies like college professors and saying things that no little kid would say, I get turned off. Add to that more Hollywood politically-correctness and low morality.....and so much for the nice, feel-good story.

The sweet-looking "good girl" of the story meets a guy on the roof of a building, sleeps with 20 minutes later. They agree to meet somewhere the next day but her parents whisk her back to where she came from, and the two don't connect. Nine months later the baby arrives right when the mother has a car accident. The father says the kid died but really he had given the boy to child services.

Meanwhile, the boy - now 11 and living in an orphanage - runs off to New York City somehow figuring that magically, through hearing music, he'll meet his parents. Sound a little far out? Yeah, it is, and even more so as you see if play out.

It's a nice message of young boy never losing faith that he would meet his parents some day but the way he eventually does is so ridiculous, so far out, so unrealistic.....that it insults your intelligence. This turns out to be an Oliver Twist wannabe that isn't even close to the latter in quality and believability. Robin Williams as a "wizard" ("Fagin" in "Oliver Twist") ought to tell you something.

Meanwhile, "Evan" (Highmore) meets up with this street kid ("Arthur," played by Leon Thomas) is verbally annoying as hell...and things progress from there. There are so many plot holes and contrivances in this film, you couldn't count them all. Examples? Well, the kid learns about sheet music one day and two hours later he's written compositions that would make Beethoven proud. Later, he gets accepted to the Julliard School of Music despite the fact he has no credentials or background on who he is and where he's from!!

If you have any brain at all, this movie is a slap-in-the-face to you.

Why? Why? Why?

Author: frances-bluebell from france
17 April 2012

Utter drivel. That is about all I can say about it. I have joined IMDb just to comment on this film. And I resent giving it even one star. There should be an option for no stars.

I wish I had not wasted about 2 hours of my life watching this non-sensical whimsy. I selected it on the basis that it had a 7.4 rating from IMDb reviewers, but I am just going to make our film selections completely randomly from now on because 7.4 is no way to rate this film. Awful, awful, awful. Give it a wide berth, fellow humans.

And I am truly appalled by reviews that say if you don't love this film, you have no imagination. This film is what lacks imagination. Utterly dreadful, implausible, sentimental claptrap of the highest order.

Avoid at all costs.

Absolutely appalling

Author: Alejandro Llois from Brazil
26 March 2012

This is one of the worst movies I've seen. I signed up for IMDb especially to review it, because I think it has an incredibly high rating for the total rubbish it is. I decided to watch this movie based on that and I can honestly say it doesn't deserve it. Though I'm rather cynical I have enjoyed some 'fairy-taley' movies, but this one fails on every level. It has a disgustingly non-believable plot, a wholly indolent protagonist (actually the whole cast seems to go about with no commitment to the film whatsoever), an utter lack of any personality and a shallow treatment of everything. It is a film where music plays a very prominent role, and the soundtrack is totally forgettable. There many other good movies around, don't watch this one.

oh. my. god.

Author: NeliaQ from Portugal
30 June 2011

Did you see the one little painful star I gave it? So you are probably expecting me to tell you to never ever.

Ever.

Waste your time watching this movie. But I shan't. Instead, my friends, I am going to tell you to please, use some of your time watching this movie, so you can come back here and rate it with this one little painful star, as I did. And maybe together, drop by drop, we can lower the average rating on this title. Because a 7.5 star compliment on it is INSULTING. Are these voting people really our neighbours, and leaders, and doctors?? Com'on, ye people of sense and sensibility, join me and suffer this movie and be merry you found the strength and then give it the only rating it deserves.

...

PS: I am not going to elaborate on the "oh-you're-so-mean!" side characters and the sanctified trinity of the main characters and their ridiculously hollow "deep" emotions within their hearts of jelly who have no backbone to ever efficiently stand up for themselves and all they do is cry and moan and dream under the moon and hope that their sorry lives will be solved by cosmical deliverance because they sure won't do a thing since they are made of childish fairy-jelly glow, ...nor on the plot and dialogue silliness, and such, ...because you can read all about it on other reviews.

You know?: Just go watch it. If you cry, please may it be from insult.

Very Disappointing - Missable, Daft, Chick Movie (and I'm a Chick!)

Author: MRavenwood from United States
27 December 2007

I am writing this as an alternate viewpoint to the praise heaped on this film over these pages. Bottom line, the film is inoffensive, but really not very substantive entertainment-wise or message-wise. It starts with a CGI treatment of a wheat field on the opening credits, which looks distractingly silly. It weakly conveys that the main character (a boy named Evan Taylor) believes he has some kind of control over the field, but it falls short of the intended correlation to his sensation of "music everywhere" which is better illustrated later in the film. The story set up is VERY slow and heavy-handed in establishing Evan's beliefs about one day finding his parents. Only half way through the film does there begin to be any appreciable progress with regard to the plot. Sure, things happen to the characters, but nothing really connects the audience to their emotion.

On the positive side, Robin Williams appears in this film in a role that is suited for him and that he plays in a restrained and powerful way. His character is the least trite, although you can somewhat "see him coming" from the moment he enters. Another highlight is the character of "Arthur X" a child musician who basically drives the plot forward all on his own for most of the second act. One senses that this actor Leon G. Thomas is capable of much more than the "official black ghetto kid" dialog he is given. Terrence Howard turns in an elegant performance with his portrayal of a caring social worker. Overall, the film doesn't require a *little* imagination or suspension of disbelief, it requires whole re-calibrations of reality from scene to scene. Not that you would think it's true-to-life, but it doesn't even make sense within its own parameters. Lastly, the music is all over the place thematically, stylistically and not cohesively or meaningfully - although there are some great players performing. An interesting concept for a film, but I found nothing to take away from it. If you want to see a feel-good film in this genre done correctly, check out Serendipity.

Largest piece of cheese in years

Author: sympho from Toronto, Canada
12 November 2007

I couldn't believe my ears in opening VO already. Sappy & cheesy to high heaven. And it only got worse. We were able to predict the entire plot to details, including the obvious ending. Beside being more soapy than all the soap operas together, it has also really primitive spots. Even Mozart took much longer time to learn to play and write music than this Hollywood invention - and that was a real prodigy & genius.

The final piece of music, that was supposed to be the revelation of this musical genius was exactly the same - soap. Not only that, half of it was arrangement of Bach's music. It was rather funny to hear the composer at the Q&A after the screening telling the audience about weeks of sleepless nights "composing" this. It's music of such quality that one would almost believe that it was written by a little boy who did not know how to read music 6 months ago. Definitely not a work of a genius ;-) It is hard to believe that an institution like NY Phil would go into project like this. This is such a disservice to classical music and all the musicians who know that there is nothing possible by talent solely. One of the worst movies ever. Even if I take it as an urban fairy-tale, it's just too much of a kitsch.

Aw Gut Rush

Author: bigkahones51 from United States
6 January 2008

(SPOILERS)---If it's even possible to add to this festering tripe of what is proffered to be a beefy movie) 'August Rush' should be called Aw Gold Rush. It's a little better than (and assimilates to)'Death to Smoochy' (also played in by Robin Williams. Not that this makes Mr Williams a bad actor, etc.) This movie gives me that same feel with some 'Pay It Forward' mixed in. The movie conveniently and carefully avoids depicting actions of certain characters as irresponsible instead rewarding and spares us the sordid details other than self-ascribed depression. I recall class-assigned required reading of Charles Dickens novels. The characters behave as high-minded persons who don't respond with common-sense thinking. They feel, but don't think , deep. After this love-at-first-sight, horny-tonight rendezvous... maybe it's just the music they hear---that mesmerizes all..yeah, it's the music's fault. oh, I loved the 'dueling guitars' and no one was retarded, just gifted. No scene to suffer for deliverance (from). I could go on how this movie is crafty, I mean crafted, why bother? ah, the striking resemblance of the primary duo to (is that Nicole Kidman? and Ray (what's-his-face)..oh yeah, Liotta) both younger versions decidedly of course, but damn it's almost like the clone machine was tweaked un-beknownst to us. okay ,they're not the real two; but that's in line with the gist of this movie. ***ROBIN WILLIAMS***, ***TERRENCE HOWARD***...are they really in this movie? funny, I thought anybody could play those parts. Well, I guess I'm not the classy-cal, new-age, old-school, happy-melancholy, techno-inspired type to swatch this movie. But my date said she liked it.

Painfully Disappointing.

Author: forkingpaths from USA
7 September 2008

This movie is perhaps one of the worst movies I've seen, and certainly the only one I've rated as a one. And I know awful. I've seen Meet the Feebles and House of the Dead, and this movie didn't measure up to it. It wasn't even the kind of awful that you could laugh at. It wasn't the sappiness of it, I'm a total sap. It was the sheer transparency of the awfulness. The wretched playing of the harmonica during the "touching" one night stand wherein the characters hardly talked, but somehow managed to form a life-long connection was simply stupid. Not just the harmonica, mind you, the whole thing. There were scenes that were okay, but when Evan was playing the neck of the guitar, who was strumming the instrument? Robin Williams delivered his lines with such shallowness, his performance was unbelievable. The dialogue between Lyla and Lori (or whatever her roommate's name was) was so thin and stretched, it caused me physical pain to endure it. For instance, after Lyla had just learned her father had forged her name to put her son up for adoption, and called her friend, who oh-so-sympathetically said: "Pull yourself together!" I don't know a single person who would say that to someone after such a terrible shock. Inane.

Cuba Gooding Jr. and the little girl from the church were probably the only actors in the movie who managed to give their character's life, rather than relinquishing themselves to being caricatures of absurdity. Jonathan Rhys Meyers did an okay job, but his hotness could have been blinding me.

As someone who has always been accused of being a dreamer and having my head in the clouds, this movie is less about dreamers than about those seeking an escape. It makes a travesty of the hard work musicians put into their art by insinuating that if you "follow the music" and saw the physics behind it all, you too could be an August Rush. Don't even get me started on the sheer stupidity of his being able to pick up music theory after only being shown the basic notes on the piano.

I found the movie offensive.

No one came out looking good

Author: sean89928 from Luxembourg
14 February 2008

Based on all the implausibilities i gave this a 3. Based on the fact that i managed to stay interested until the end i gave it a 6.

It is crap but it is watchable. I don't know if i've ever thought that about a movie before.

So in the end i plunked for a 4.5 score.

Story, orphan finds his parents who were unaware he was alive thru music. Kid ends up conducting the NY philharmonic 6 months after first learning to play music. cough cough......

bad but somehow i got to the end.

Other reviewers compared it to 'Oliver'. Oliver is classic, this story had to have been whipped up while micro-waving 2 minute noodles.

If this movie were Tinker Bell, it would be dead

Author: beginnersmind-2 from United States
4 July 2008

What's good about this movie:

* It's better than both Morvern Callar and Pearl Harbor.

* The cast is mostly good looking.

* Most of the music is pretty good.

What's not good about this movie (and these are really all the same thing):

* Requires disbelief to be not so much suspended as repealed.

* The plot would not have been believable even if you were stoned, drunk, and high on crack.

* If this movie were Tinker Bell, it would be dead.

Thanks to wikipedia for pointing out the correct spelling of Tinker Bell...