IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 36: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

an orchestra of intuition awaits you

Author: spj-4 from Australia
13 August 2008

I headed off to see a movie last night & it turned out to be this "August Rush" I had never heard of!

It turned out to be to watch a masterpiece of intuition that would appeal to the sensibilities of a truly romantic heart & soulful spirit! I thought it was going to be an "Oliver" updated story early ... and it does have similarities to "Mr Holland's Opus" at times ... and it does jump around ... but it comes together like a jigsaw puzzle!

As to be expected, it's a bit predictable at times, but it is a movie with a beautiful heart it dips into at times, with magnificent musical blending that weave into the philosophy & wisdom & lives of its emerging characters! ... And their heartful unspoken wishes of heart & soul! ... As I have noted to be found as particularly significant times in life! ... like moments of romantic bliss ... like moments of immense & heart-breaking grief ... like moments of searching for something you cannot easily express ... or don't fully understand ... that may be dream or hope or foolishness in the eyes some others cannot understand!

It's all here to enrich your heart & spirit!!! ... !!!

A little contrived & unlikely in how it emerges but in so doing, it encourages the viewer into a sense & hope of intuition!!!

In my own case, I found further proof of such experiences I have occasionally been enriched & privileged to receive at key moments in my life!!! ... even when a song came on the radio as I began to drive home afterwards, it seemed PERFECTLY appropriate that the song was one I liked better instantly ... with lyrics "when you get caught between the moon and New York city, best that you can do, is fall in love!"

... I think I'll always like this song better for this coincidence in the eyes of some!

... As for the movie I rate it ... !!!!!!!!!!+

See through the inconsistencies

Author: Nick from France
21 July 2008

Please please please stop whining about the movie not being realistic, close-ups of guitar playing being adult hands when is supposed to be a child, lack of tuning, score writing in 24 hrs. See through the technical inconsistencies, sit back and just be drawn into the story.

THE KID IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PRODIGY! whiners look that word up ! Granted there are large holes in the in the story, dissect those later. This movie is a shinning example of how music reaches down into your soul, grabs you by the heart and lets you know how great it is to be alive. Escape for just a few minutes from you own world and simply enjoy the great music on offer, I challenge even the stony souls/ heartless beings and World weary doom merchants not to be at least welling up and reaching for the klennex at the end of the film.

Loved it!

Author: rabbitmm-1 from United States
14 July 2008

I absolutely loved this movie, and do not understand how it never got too much praise. I certainly realize it may not have appealed to ALL, but I would of thought would of appealed to many. I feel if you like music, and feel any connection to ANY kind of music, and can believe a little in magic, you should like this film. My only regret is that it took so long for me to see it. When it ended it made me want more. The acting is great. It's romantic, and ends happily, and even has Robin Williams as a treat in a different type role for him. The 3 leads are great. Lovely scenes of NYC. See how a musical prodigy discovers his talents. Rent it as soon as you can.

I loved this movie

Author: cmcquaile from Ireland
26 June 2008

I just watched the movie and wondered if it was based on true story?? It reminds me of my real fairytale and true story. After being adopted 43yrs, and searching for about 15years, only recently found my birth parents that married each other a year after my birth and went on to have 3more children. Two lovely sisters and a brother and they all moved to the USA many years ago. Im very musical and turns out my birth father was very musical and huge here in Irelandand england in the 60's with many chart hits. My brother was quite a famous actor in Hollywood who worked with John Travolta, John Goodman, David Boreanas and many more, but very sadly passed away five years ago. I will never meet him but my Mother and Sisters tell me how great he was as a brother and son. Not everyone knows of this fantastic journey I'm having, but this movie is amazing and reminds me of my very true fairytale, It was always a dream to find my Birth Mother But found my Whole family. Most certainly a dream come true. Maybe i will write a book based on this wonderful story someday.

Much better then I thought it would be

Author: element78655 from United States
20 June 2008

This movie seemed like it would be okay, but it turned out to be a GREAT movie. It's a fantastic movie for both Children and Adults, though the movie is most likely preferred by Children because it's fictional, still it was a GREAT story and didn't drag at all, close to 2 hours seemed to fly by and I wish it hadn't ended. This movie has some great acting it makes you believe like it's an actual story. Great screenplay and songs were played. Overall this movie is great for both the family and also for anyone interested in Music, it was truly inspirational, I loved it, it was everything I expected and more, its definitely underrated.

A feel-good movie with minor flaws

Author: bsvends1 from Norway
23 April 2008

A lot of people have already pointed out that you shouldn't watch this movie if you don't like fairy tales. However, if you leave logic and other boring things from real life at the door, you may have a nice time.

I admit there're a few moments when things went a little overboard, but all in all the movie gave me a good feeling and that's all that matters to me. If the story intrigues you, see it, I'm pretty sure you'll feel good too:-).

August Rush is worth watching for us who still have some dreams inside of us and don't need to be reminded of the world we live in all the time!

One of the better movies of 2007.

Author: sheer64-1 from Australia
31 March 2008

What I liked about this movie was the performances of Freddie Highmore and Keri Russell. What I did not like was the performances of Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Robin Williams. Having said that there are no bad performances just some better than others in my opinion. This film delivers in most aspects but there is something I could not put my finger on that stopped me from saying it was great. Normally I blame the director? The story is far fetched but it is told quite well without turning it into a chic flick, soap opera based on the subject and story content. It is a good movie and you will be glad you watched it over some of the trash released in 2007.

Music and the Harmony of the Universe: A Film for Dreamers

Author: gradyharp from United States
19 March 2008

AUGUST RUSH will not go down in history as a profound film: many will even go so far as to dismiss it as kitsch, maudlin, and a simpleton take off on 'Oliver Twist', and other pejoratives. For this viewer the little film is tender and frequently requires suspension of belief, but in the end the idea of the story does indeed bring a tear to the eye.

Based on a story by Paul Castro and Nick Castle and transformed for the screen by Castle and James V. Hart, the premise is that of a fairytale, but an unusual fairytale built around the impact of music. On one magic night in New York City classical cellist Lyla Novacek (Keri Russell) and popular Irish guitarist/singer Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) meet on a rooftop, languishing in their own disappointments with life and finding solace in each other's arms, and that night Lyla becomes pregnant, never to see Louis again, and struggling to keep her baby despite her father's demands to abort. Lyla delivers her baby boy, but the child is immediately taken away (Lyla is told the child was stillborn). 'Evan Taylor' AKA August Rush (Freddie Highmore) is placed in an orphanage, longing for parents he believes he can 'hear' in the music of the spheres. Compelled to find his parents he escapes the orphanage after eleven years and is taken in by Faginesque Maxwell 'Wizard' Wallace (Robin Williams) who teaches his street urchins the fine art of pick pocketing and playing music on the streets as buskers. Renamed August Rush, Evan has uncommon musical talents and rapidly becomes a big money maker for Wizard while at the same time being discovered as a potential pupil for Juilliard by Reverend James (Mykelti Williamson) and his girl singer Hope (Jamia Simone Nash) with assistance from kindly social worker Richard Jefferies (Terrence Howard). August Rush composes a rhapsody that is to be played in Central Park, a chance to place his music before the world and attract his parents, both of whom have returned to music careers after eleven years absence and learn of the existence of August Rush, their 'unknown son'. And yes, the ending is a happily ever after one...

Kirsten Sheridan directs with a sure hand and a keen eye toward make believe. The cast is strong, especially Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and the musical score, a very mixed bag, provides a suitable background for the story. This is one of those movies that asks us to go along with a lot of improbable events, but the pleasure of the experience is worth the journey. Grady Harp

It's not bad but it did not convince me too much

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
18 March 2008

August Rush is not a bad movie but it has various failed points.Let's see them.First of all,the magic realism this movie uses is a cheap trick for telling a story without too much logic and which also is badly raised.Robin Williams brings a horribly irritating performance.Do not misunderstand me.I think Williams is a brilliant actor but his performance in here is inappropriate for the movie.Still,it's not a bad movie.Freddie Highmore brings a good performance and he shows charisma for his role and the movie brings a good and valid message.August Rush has a lot of fails but,still with that,it's not a bad film.I think I can recommend it if you are looking for something entertaining and nothing else.

August Rush - should have been called August Gush

Author: john-2441 from New Zealand
17 March 2008

The film starts well and builds a story about a young boy living in an orphanage and on a mission to find his parents.

The story centers on the main character's (Evan Taylor) musical prodigy and a fairly consistent theme of blind hope that it will assist him in finding his parents. Unfortunately after a promising start showing the interaction and tensions of orphanage life for the strangely talented youngster the whole plot descends into insulting implausibility and effusive schmaltz - even my wife couldn't bear it.

The youngster while on his mission to find his parents pulls off ever more unbelievable musical feats and of course we discover his parents are either already those affluent nice people, or the sort that can mutate from rough musicians to chauffeur driven businessmen at whim. A great idea, reasonable cast, terrible plot development, cloying schmaltz and very predictable ending.