IMDb > In the Mix (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In the Mix

In the Mix More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

How Not To Make A Movie...

Author: IDislikeBadMovies from United States
27 November 2005

Not Since Vanilla Ice's "Cool as Ice" and Britney Spears' "Crossroads" has such schlock been put to celluloid for no other purpose than take advantage of a pop music star's success and try to cash in on it.

At least Rob Van Winkle and Mrs. Spears can claim that it is not their fault the movies were bad, but instead the script was bad to begin with. Usher on the other hand gets Executive Producer credits for this gem.

In an interview he explains his role as executive producer...

"Well, I didn't put money behind it. That title comes from being involved in the creative process from choosing the people to act opposite, script supervision, selecting people who are a part of the production team. It's pretty easy."

Note to Usher: Executive Producing SHOULDN'T be Easy...

Maybe if you spent more time supervising the development of characters and plots, instead of supervising an onslaught of racial stereotypes and lines that serve no purpose but to praise your physical aspects, you might be able to star in a movie that will be in the top 8 at the box office in it's opening weekend.

Note to Self: Never trust the judgment of the person who dragged me to this ever again.

I got a confession to make......This is actually worse than Alone in the Dark

Author: duffyboy666 from United Kingdom
7 December 2005

The contender ship for my worst movie of 2005 was poised on a knife edge between two truly appalling movies. Deuce Bigalow and Alone In The Dark. It truly was going to be a tough one to decide between a bad comedy, and a bad horror film, both are two evils that take some effort (or cocaine) to pull off.

However that debate is now finally settled. Because thanks to RnB star, Usher Raymond, or better just known as Usher, we now know which out of those two movies will win my award for worst movie of 2005.

Neither.

In The Mix, Usher's screen debut is a movie that I will only ever watch again if stapled to the floor with a gun pointed into my head and my eyelids forced open. Bar Gigli, it is the worst pop star movie ever created on this earth and gives some of my top ten all time worst a damn good run for their money.

As I told you in my review of Gigli, Pop stars can not act. There's a whole shelf on Blockbuster Video chock-full of evidence of this. And in this case, this is not just any old pop star we are talking about folks. This is the dark world known as Usher, a man whose entire CV is living testimony to the fact that talent, quality and decency are not needed to become famous on this earth.

So it's now time to ask John Raymond (the director of this joke) the £1m question. "What in the sweet blue living hell were you smoking when you allowed Usher not just to act in this movie, but be an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER in it also?" OK, so even if Usher wasn't on this team the movie would still suck anyway but we really need to draw the line at Pop Stars directing their own dreadful movies as well as acting.

And speaking of the acting and role play. Lifeless, and so unbelievably stereotypical and unoriginal that it actually features a gangster CALLED Fat Toni! Where's Normski when you need him! It's boring, poorly conceived and just plain painful to look at and suffer.

But what I hate the most about this movie, is the same thing I hate about all of these type of movies. Self Indulgence. It's bad enough with the likes of Carey and J'Lo pushing these vanity projects just to make some more cash, but when the celebrity is as truly awful as Usher is it's beyond hate. It's vitriolic rage.

If you must watch this trash, please, please find some way of doing so for free. Even if your intent is to heckle it, make sure that you don't give either a cinema ticket booth or a DVD retailer even dime. Because your money is going to Usher. And if you in any way knowingly give your money to this talentless imbecile, then you are a dead set moron. Better still.....

Don't watch this film.

PS: To those who gave it good reviews. Get A Life.

Wait for the DVD, in fact borrow a friends who was dumb to buy it

Author: bonk73 from United States
10 November 2005

Not only was this movie poorly written, it goes to show us what most of us knew already. That is the simple fact that Usher can not act. Some films of this nature, have a borderline cute plot or fun story, this completely lacks both. This is yet another attempt from a pop-star(if you deem him worthy of that title), trying to make the transition from music to film and failing miserably. Do not waste your ten bucks going to see this movie as , box office attendance will plummet the DVD should be on the shelf by Christmas. It is pretty sad, that only because the fact of someones popularity in a certain arena, that they are automatically pushed into another and we are suppose to accept it. I would hope that this movies target audience(which is i'm sure 13 year old girls) would reject it as I had.

OK...I'm sorry, this movie is just plain BAD

Author: sanjana_rajan1 from United States
6 December 2005

Let me just say that I was surprised when I saw "In the Mix" settling down in the Bottom 100. Surprised, but not in a bad way. I'm just glad that people see this movie as what it is, and not "how famous Usher is" or "how good we WISH this movie was"

Because, to put it bluntly, I went in the theater expecting junk, and junk is what I got. I don't think that there is anyone out there who expected great things from Usher, but I most certainly did not expect the worst movie that I have ever seen.

So, let's go over why this movie was so bad. Firstly, the acting is quite dreadful. Usher acts like a robot, and sometimes almost forgets to show emotion. Emmanuelle Chriqui is not half bad, and neither is the supporting cast, but Usher's artificial acting spoils all of their efforts. The plot is nothing original, but nothing incredibly awful. With some different acting, hey, I might actually be able to sit through 95 minutes of it without getting close to crying at the pathetic attempt at a movie.

So, here's what I recommend:

Don't watch the movie at all (unless you're one of those people who try to watch really bad movies just to see how bad they are)

If you MUST watch it, wait for it to come out on DVD, and rent it. Or wait for a stupid friend of yours to buy it, and borrow it. Make sure that you do not waste any money on this piece of junk. If you want what's best for you, spare yourself, and don't watch it at all.

Very possibly the worst movie I have ever seen

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
5 August 2006

And that's pretty sad, because I've seen a bunch of horrible movies, but this one is in a class of it's own. Now, I'm going to be honest, I wanted to see this film when it was first released in the theaters. It looked kinda like a fun movie, but I decided to wait until it was for rent. I knew this movie had a bad rating on IMDb, but I figured it was just because Usher was one of the biggest stars at the time and people were just trying to trash him. Boy, I apologize for doubting the views of the IMDb users.

First off, what was the screenwriter on when he wrote this? Or was he simply reading "Screenwriting for dummies"? What the hell does he or the director take me for?! I grew up in friggin' little Italy/Chicago! I'm not stupid. Now, not to sound horrible, but this movie was totally inaccurate on how a mafia boss would let an African American watch his daughter. Never would happen in a million years. Not to mention the horrible stereo types in this film! It was horrible. The two lovers had no chemistry and the plot was.... ahh! Just never see this movie ever ever ever!

I thought the best part was Rufus the bulldog.

Author: Movieguy_blogs_com from United States
23 November 2005

'In the Mix' has Usher playing Darrell, who happens to be at the right place at the right time. That depends on how you look at it. He takes a bullet for Dolly (Emmanuelle Chriqui), a mafia princess. As a result, he becomes her bodyguard. Then the trouble starts happening.

This movie was not especially great. It is fun at times, but not by much. The acting is not great and the plot is very predictable. None of the characters have much personality. Anthony Fazio who plays Dolly's brother is annoying. It is kind of like 'My Bodyguard' meets 'The Sopranos', only a little milder and not nearly as good.

I thought the best part was Rufus the bulldog. He was the funniest part of the movie and he is only in three scenes. I would not go to this unless you really want to see Usher.

Someone punch me

Author: Jung from Japan
11 July 2006

You can't possible give higher than 2 out of 10 for this movie. To make it short, this movie is strawberry shortcake dipped in a pot of sewage water.

Some of you might know a movie named "From Justin to Kelly" inspired by the successors of American idol show. Words cannot describe how terrible that movie was. I don't know what inspired these movie makers to produce another horrible music artist related movie but oh boy...this genre has got to be burned down.

This movie isn't bad, this movie isn't terrible. This movie is a war-crime.

the best movie EVER!

Author: jimmyspdes from United States
22 January 2008

This movie is just plain great. I loved it more than I love life itself. Usher is probably the best actor in the world, bar none! I'm amazed that Daniel Day Lewis didn't make an appearance in this cinematic gem. His loss I guess. I saw this in theaters the day it came out and I couldn't sleep until it finally came out on DVD. Now I can watch this timeless classic over and over and over again. I like to sit on the couch and chew tinfoil while I spoil myself to multiple viewings of this blockbuster hit. Sometimes I call in sick and stay home just so I can watch this movie. (Even the credits are a treat) I cancelled cable and sold all my other DVDs as I'm just to engrossed with this movie at the time. I'm watching the movie right now (YAY!!!!). I made my own quiz game based on this movie, I play it when I can't watch the movie , like when I'm driving or at weddings and other unimportant things. My only complaint is that the movie is to short, I wish it would never end and IMDb only let me give ten stars when it deserves at least 36.1.3333333333 stars...YAY!

ouch!

Author: Kosinus from Hamburg, Germany
27 March 2006

what a waste of time! I guess there was one remarkable line in the whole movie... if I only could remember it... I got to watch this movie in a sneak-preview... well... you have to watch 10 movies there to get a single good one but this movie was even far below average... Some movies are just made to prove that you can even earn some money with nothing... sad for those talented ones among the movie-makers... save the admission and spend it on a movie that deserves your money... hm... so I'm really supposed to write more about such a movie? come on, it does not deserve it... still not enough lines? well... be fair: you can't judge the acting-skills of anyone by watching such a movie: there is simply nothing in it to be judged...

I should have stuck with my instincts and stayed on the toilet instead of going to the movies to see this

Author: from United States
3 January 2006

This movie is about as good as what would have been found in the toilet anyway! Perhaps the most racist movie I have seen in my life. Examples: 1. Usher's favorite restaurant is a fried chicken place, where he orders "the usual", which turns out to be...you guessed it, fried chicken and collard greens

2. Although neither Usher nor his friends are gangsters in the movie, it seems that the only things black people use as currency during card games are guns.

3. "I heard black men can dance" 4. All Italians are mobsters. 5. I like Usher's little minstrel show dance at the end of the movie. Overall, I was disappointed with myself for donating any money to this racist cause. I will never again watch an Usher movie unless he puts on blackface and admits that In the Mix was about as racist as the KKK would hope it to be.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]