IMDb > Superhero Movie (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Was actually decent!

Author: prometheus99 from Canada
29 March 2008

I really liked this one. I wasn't expecting much, being worn out on spoof movies lately because of the layer of crap that's been dropped on us, the movie-going public. "Epic Movie","Date Movie","Meet the Spartans" all sucked.

That being said, the people who made this, made the latter-day Zucker- styled comedies(a la Airplane, The Naked Gun) Scary Movie 3 & 4, and not those other "Movie" movies (which are the domain of Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer).

There were parts of this movie where I laughed so hard I could barely breathe. And that happens SO rarely with comedies lately. Seriously, I laughed hard.

But, it was one of those things that will entertain but never be a classic you'd bother watching again. It was a bit forgettable in that way.

With great parody comes great responsibility

Author: steve-bailey-1 from Jacksonville Beach, FL
29 March 2008

If "Superhero Movie" gives you the same giddy, guilty-pleasure feeling as "Airplane!" and the "Naked Gun" movies, it's no accident. Some of those movies' personnel – who were also involved in two lesser "Scary Movie" sequels – show up here. (Those include writer-director Craig Mazin, who happily has come a long way from 1997's abysmal "Rocketman.")

The movie's title says it all. It's a comedy that takes a well-known hit (in this case, "Spider-Man"), turns it inside out, and uses it as a clothesline for gags. In this parody version, nerdy Rick Riker (amiable Drake Bell of cable-TV's "Drake and Josh") gets bitten by a mutant dragonfly, turning him into...well, take a guess. Meanwhile, a well-meaning scientist (Chris McDonald) turns nasty when his experiment backfires and he finds he must sap others' life-blood in order to keep himself alive.

As is typical of such parodies, the movie's approach is as subtle as a spitball gun. Some of the gags are terrific, and some are groaners. But they're all fired at such a rapid pace that after a while, you have no choice but to give in to the silliness. The characters are like shooting-gallery ducks waiting to have parody lobbied at them. Best of the bunch are Rick's well-meaning but dotty uncle and aunt (delightfully played by Leslie Nielsen and "Happy Days'" Marion Ross). The most pitiable is a take-off on disabled genius Stephen Hawking, who seems to push Mazin's bad-taste button over and over ad nauseum.

This leads me to the movie's most required caveat. While the flick is mostly silly fun, it pushes its "PG-13" rating right up to the edge of the "R" cliff. The movie is larded with sexual gags and profanity abound, and what might possibly be cinema's longest-ever flatulence gag.

But if you can bear up under the cringe factor, "Superhero Movie" is mostly high-powered fun. Nifty comedy here runs neck-and-neck with bad taste. It's a close race, but the comedy wins.

"Superhero Movie" is rated PG-13 for countless sex and drug references, crude humor, and adult language.

An underrated Gem.

Author: Ironwarrior86 from United Kingdom
6 September 2009

This is way better than most films that spoof other films. It's a million times better than the likes of Epic Movie, Disaster Movie and many other pathetic attempts to parody other films. Unlike most films that spoof others this one gets the job done without overdoing it and at times it even felt like an actual Superhero film as well as talented cast members that fit their roles perfectly and the villain "The Hourglass" was good considering it was a parody film. It also has various comedy elements of its own such as Lucille's funeral and many more moments that I would mention but I don't want to spoil the film. At the funeral The priest says "We are gathered here today to say goodbye to Lucille" then all the people at the funeral shout "Goodbye!".If you plan to watch this film do not judge it on the low rating. It's a pity most parody films weren't as good as this.

Very funny

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
14 July 2009

With all these bad Spoof movies like Date movie, Not Another Teen Movie,Epic Movie and Disaster Movie (which is the worst spoof movie ever).

So i was thinking will be the same, but my god this movie made me laugh so much, This movie better then others listed above better then Scary movie 4 and 2

Plot: In this spoof of Hollywood blockbusters, director and screenwriter Craig Mazin (THE SPECIALS) tackles the age-old story of a regular guy who suddenly finds that he possesses super powers. Ricky Riker (Drake Bell) is a typical teenager, except that his luck is worse then most. Basically, he's a loser. He's been in love with beautiful Jill (Sara Paxton) for years, but is sure she doesn't know he exists. Even his best friend, Trey (Kevin Hart), is willing to throw him over for another clique. But Rick's life changes dramatically when a genetically enhanced dragonfly bites him during a school field trip. In a flash, he becomes the Dragonfly. He can scale buildings, and has immense strength--though he's still a klutz. Rick isn't sure he has what it takes to be a superhero, but it's up to him to save the city from the villainous Hourglass (Christopher McDonald), who literally sucks the life out of people, and threatens to harm those dearest to Rick. Mazin, The main spoof is spider man they also spoof Batman, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men.

I love this movie so, well the last spoof movie I Saw was Disaster movie that oh my god, that movie was SO bad ) (That one the reason like this movie more then I Should) The superhero movie is one best spoof to come out last year, I am not saying it the best spoof EVER! Love it 7/10

One of the BEST movies I have ever seen! It had me laughing so loud everybody could hear me!

Author: TheJayEffect from Australia
13 April 2008

So I went to the Superhero Movie yesterday and I wasn't sure if it was going to be any good because most of the reviews and ratings on here were very poor and normally these types of movies aren't very good at all. So anyway I went in there with doubts but in the first 20 seconds I was cracking up even just with the start where there is just saying who's in the film. From that point on to the very end I had never laughed so hard in my entire life. This movie was absolutely fantastic and I would see it over and over again. There are jokes every 30 seconds! I highly recommend everybody to see this fantastic movie, you won't regret it.

Finally they got rid of Adam Seltz and Jason Friedburg.

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
7 April 2008

The "movie" movie series was really going for a while there (All the Scary Movies had me in stitches) it bombed for a while when Adam Seltz and Jason Friedburg took over and here is a brief show is a list of ratings of some of the other "movie" movies: Date Movie: 57% Epic Movie: 50% Meet The Spartans: 48% But with this one the series gets better with Superhero films being sent up in a playful way and it is actually really funny. It is a little hit and miss but I think that adds to the final feel to the "dumbness" to the film. I think that this is worth a view for the fans of Scary Movie and haters of the later "movie" movies. Overall this is a good and funny film good for a laugh once or twice and I give it a fair rating of 65%.

An entertaining fuse between old and new styles of spoof movies.

Author: KyleFink from Long Island, New York
1 April 2008

Watching Superhero Movie feels like you're re-watching one of the Naked Gun movies, only there are "deleted scenes" which unfortunately feature pop culture references and fart jokes. It's a fun movie if you're into the genre but overall falls far too short of being as good as the classics.

The cast is great for the material they're working with, with some exceptions being those who are given too little screen time to show their talents. Musician/actor Drake Bell's comedic timing is impressive, as is that of spoof legend Leslie Nielsen.

The humor, a combination of slapstick, wordplay and sex/toilet humor, is hit and miss, but hits more often than one would think. The spoofs range from clever to cringe-worthy, but the story and resultant gags follow the source material (mostly 2002's Spider-Man) very well, as opposed to the "Hey, look! It's -insert character- from -insert popular movie-!" style other recent spoofs have adopted. The only roadblocks are the childish fart jokes (one of which spans minutes) and dated pop culture references (Tom Cruise? Barry Bonds? Really?).

It's due to all of this that the movie, although flawed, can appeal to fans of any kind of spoof movie, be it twenty years old or two. It's also able to fulfill the expectations of the average moviegoer while giving some clever surprises to those who don't see them coming. Simply put, if you're a fan of any type of comedy, there's bound to be something in this joke-a-second spoof for you.

Slowly but its getting there...

Author: cruzazulfan007 from United States
29 March 2008

OK...the trailer gave me hope, the original trailer that is, that this movie would finally bring back those awesome jokes and gags from the great Airplane! and Naked Gun films, and it did, of course not as efficiently. This is a great great great start for all of us who want to see the great spoof movies make a comeback. There were some gags that went a little over the top, not to my surprise, but there were other gags that brought back memories of those classic movies. There was not so much pop culture as the other vomit-enducing movies like Meet the Spartans and other atrocities, but of course there was, but we cant blame them, there was pop culture references back in the Airplane movies as well. It put a smile on my face when i heard a good phrase in this movie: "Fruitcake?" "Oh no, i just haven't met the right woman". You have to be honest, that definitely brings back some hope that the producers are trying to bring it back. I say give it a try, I own all the great spoofs on DVD, i know my spoof movies, and i can guarantee that this movie is not as bad as others may say it is, and it totally makes Meet the Spartans and Epic movie look the garbage they are.

Why thought of as so bad?

Author: Viviana *~*~*~*~* from Romania
4 February 2009

Well, I've been reading the reviews on this film for quite a while now, and I've got to say: why is everyone complaining about it? To be perfectly honest, I saw this film because my best friend rented it, so I hadn't had a chance of reading any of the reviews online. If it had been the other way around, I probably wouldn't have seen it, and that would have been just a darn shame. So what if some of the situations are a little extreme? So what if it all seems a little "Oh, come on!" - that's what this type of comedy is all about! I had a good laugh watching this, and I strongly suggest this for a friend night...but definitely not the movie I'd see on a family night.

Misunderstood masterpiece

Author: sebdude-2 from United Kingdom
17 April 2008

Having seen the scary movie films and read reviews on here, I was quite dubious about how good Superhero Movie was going to be. But I was persuaded by free tickets to a UK preview.

I'm happy to say that I was astounded by the quality of the film. The jokes and acting quality are a real step up for the series. Leslie Nielsen consistently caused the audience to collapse in laughter. Meanwhile newcomers Drake Bell and Sara Paxton shine as the naive Peter Parker-type character and his love interest.

If only the originals of these movies were as good as this witty parody. Can't wait to see a sequel.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]