IMDb > The Ski Trip (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Ski Trip More at IMDbPro »

Give Ski Trip A Try

Author: w999999p from United States
27 September 2005

I am actually surprised that more people did not like the film. I know that it was "low-budget", but a lot of good movies are "low-budget" and are still worth watching. I think the storyline was very fresh and rarely seen: Black gay men living in New York and dealing with life after 30 and there is hope, love and even a few laughs to help you make it through. I think also that it showed the diversity that exists even within the black same-gender loving community. The characters were ones that we were familiar with...or so we thought and then now they are presented in a different light, which makes us think about them, and perhaps ourselves, differently. Honestly, as soon as the movie started and I saw the tell-tell "low-budget" look to the set, I wanted to turn it off, but, I am glad that I gave it a chance and it proved itself worthy.

A Charming Spoof

Author: Aulic Exclusiva from New York
5 June 2007

This is an impish spoof of:

1. "Black" sitcoms.

2. Gay "white" sitcoms.

3. "House party" type movies in which friends get together to tear each other apart. (I love the way everybody keeps saying to one another "we go way back", right before plunging the stiletto in.)

4. Stereotypical, low-budget Indies.

All this is done with real charm, and some of the guys are HOT, especially John Rankin as Omar, the dread locked beauty who simmers for the geeky protagonist. Good fun.

In need of a story

Author: makayla from United States
19 August 2006

This movie was different in that it didn't show the typical gay stereotypes that I'm used to seeing. But that doesn't change the fact that it totally lacks a storyline. I'm sure that there are many gay men who are just happy to see themselves depicted on screen, since Black gay characters are seldom seen, and when they are the characters are usually not fully developed. But, how hard would it have been for the writer to actually script a story with a beginning, middle and end. Or how about a story that was focused. There really doesn't seem to be a point to this film, and even though it is a low budget film, that is still no excuse for the lack of story or plot.

It is what it is!

Author: Britinmiami from United States
23 August 2006

What can you say about this movie? It was not terrible, but it was not good! Two days earlier I had watched Lillies and that was one of the best Gay films I have ever seen. So this was not the best time to watch a mediocre Gay flick.

The story was silly and the acting was OK. It was not bad enough to turn off, but it had some bad moments and some terrible stereotyping. It was not very well cast either.

Would I recommend this movie? No you would be wasting your time and money. I don't understand why movies like these are made and who is funding them. Spend your time Watching Noah's Arc on Logo instead. I think this is where this movie was trying to go but never got there.

Light hearted and fun

Author: willroad61 from SW Pennsylvania
19 September 2005

I viewed this movie on LOGO in July and have watched it many times since. I found some of the characters warm and endearing, while others were over the top, and since this is what real gay life is like, I think it works well. Loved the soundtrack. I liked the fact that it was low budget and didn't focus on flash and pizazz. An entertaining film. I'd like to see more, continue the story lines of these characters, even the 'bitchy' ones showed that friends are friends. The 'stud' even had an intelligent side, which in real life I have yet to find (although I am sure it's out there). This movie is so much better than some of the other gay fare I have come across in past years.

Yeah its stupid but its funny

Author: forcededucation from United States
29 July 2005

I too saw this movie on LOGO (MTV's new gay channel); and let's just get this out in the open right now. This is by far one of the gayest movies I have ever seen in my life. But it is so flamboyant and silly that it's humorous in an offbeat sort of way. The basic plot is there is a guy who takes his entire gay crew and two lesbians on a ski trip and madness ensues; somebody gets pregnant and two guys relationships are tested all while taking a trip in some cabin in the winter. Sure it's dumb, sure most of the stuff that happens in the end is unrealistic but it is still worth checking out. Not to mention LOGO is showing this movie on a rotation all week for the foreseeable future so check it out if you don't have anything better to do and admit it you probably don't.

Makes "straight to video" titles look like Citizen Kane.

Author: chets808 from Primate USA
20 July 2005

Channel surfing and caught this on LOGO. It was one of those "I have to watch this because it's so horribly bad" moments, like Roadhouse without the joy. The writing is atrocious; completely inane and the acting is throw-up-in-your-mouth bad.

There's low budget and then there is the abyss which is where this epic should be tossed and never seen from again. I mean, the main characters go to a ski retreat in some rented house and the house is, well, ordinary which is no big deal, but they choose to show all the houseguests pouring over it like it was the Sistine Chapel. I'm sorry but watching 6 guys stare into every 10'x10' boring room with a futon in it and gushing is lame. I guess they didn't learn anything from the Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (see hotel room check scene)...wow a toilet !!! yaayyyyy !!!! I don't buy the its all over the top so anything goes routine. If it smells like...and it looks like...well, you know the rest.

Avoid like the plague.

edit: Apparently other more close minded reviewers believe that since I disliked this movie, I am an "obvious hater" which I can only assume means I am phobic, which of course is not true. I decided to do this wacky, crazy thing and judge the movie based on the actual content of the film and not by its mere presence (i.e. its refreshing to see...)

Sure, it may be refreshing to see but that doesn't equate into a great movie, just give them some better material to work with and tighter direction. In fact, I applaud the effort. Frankly, I'd rather go listen to my Kitchens of Distinction catalogue than watch this again.

It was adorable

Author: mojo2004 from United States
22 July 2005

I also caught this movie on LOGO while channel surfing.Yes the movie was low budget but the guys had me from hello.Omar was a cutie,Tyson was FINE and Terry stole the show.I think the movie was too long and some thing they touched on didn't click.It's called " Ski Trip" ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

but all they did was ride upstate to a very tiny 4 bedroom house that ended up having 10 people stay overnight,7 guys 3 women.I don't really know what I'm spoiling since the movie didn't stick with a storyline.Yeah,Corey was depressed he turned 30 with no progress in his career as a cartoonist hoping to get his title published and his so called boyfriend dumping him.I don't know what if any scenes were cut but this is Logo and they do edit-to-death any profanity,sex or nudity.Having said that this is a very tame movie with laughs and a few sad moments.The bit with 6 grown men and their luggage squeezing in a small rental car in the wintertime was dumb.Corey's lesbian best friend Nicky kept saying her date for the weekend was deaf,mute and couldn't read lips yet the girl responded twice by talking???Very attractive cast and they did fine with what they were given.The actor who played Corey also directed so he wore one too many hats.He should have directed and had someone else play Corey since he was the least interesting character!I'd like to know what gays or lesbians thought of the film.I'm straight and female but even I can't understand why LOGO edits it's films when its target audience would be looking to get GLTB entertainment with all the sex,profanity and kissing intact!

I Really Enjoyed This Movie

Author: (mycalangelo@hotmail.com) from Atlanta, GA
22 July 2005

I just saw this movie last night at a film festival. When it first began I thought to myself, not another "queen" or "club" movie. For a while it seemed like that was the direction that it was going in. For me things began to change a little when John Rankin who plays Omar appears on screen. As the movie goes on you see what an adorable character he is. He is the modest, down to earth, boy next door type. He is such a beautiful and charming man. He is totally believable in his role. I felt like I could fall in love with him because he is so my type. Omar is not the main character in the movie, but he was for me.

Getting back to the rest of the movie, things got better and this turned out to be a pretty good movie. There were good, unexpected twists in the plot that you didn't see coming. There were a lot of laughs and some good music. I felt that a few things about the ending didn't seem too realistic, but other than that I really liked this movie. There are not that many black, gay romance movies out there, so I give props to the writer, director and star Maurice Jamal for bringing his vision to the screen. This is my favorite movie of the year so far.

Variety and other articles were right

Author: NathanHWilliams from United States
22 July 2005

Clearly, the previous reviewer didn't see the same movie I saw. I agree with Variety and the countless other positive reviews that applaud this zany, quirky film with a heart. This film is warm, hilarious and a breath of fresh air. It is refreshing to see black and Latino LGBT images finally make it to the screen.

I am glad that MTV Networks chose The Ski Trip to be its first world premier movie and that they saw the vision in this film about ever day people who just happen to be gay. Maurice Jamal's writing is tight and the cast's timing matches the offbeat and over the top pace of the script.

I look forward to seeing more from this director and cast. Unlike the obvious hater chets808, I enjoyed this film and would recommend it to anyone.