IMDb > Feast (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Feast

Feast More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Kicks butt for a million bucks!

Author: phoenixandrew from Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
24 October 2005

Saw this film at the International Horror & Sci-Fi Festival in Tempe, Arizona last night. This is the first film that I have seen from the "Project Greenlight" series. Since the film was made for only a million bucks, I expected "Feast" to be loaded with lots of things that would show that it was shot on a low budget. Well, there wasn't any CGI special effects and 99% of this film was shot inside the bar, but other than that, I didn't feel anything else was compromised that would affect the quality of the film. In fact, this film kicks more butt than most multi-million dollar horror and sci-fi flicks! "Feast" takes place inside a bar in the middle of the California desert. At one moment, a bloodied man shows up with a dead creature in his hand. He says there are four of them, he doesn't know what they are or where they came from, except that they devour and kill anybody they see. Within minutes, the creatures suddenly show up, the carnage begins and all hell breaks loose.

What I liked most about this film was the comical intros for all the lead characters: "hero", "loser", "expects nothing in life" etc.

Director John Gulager and one of the writers, Marcus Dunstan, chatted with the audience after the screening. According to John, the film was scheduled for a January 2006 release. Unfortunately, the turmoil at the film's distributors has put "Feast" on the shelf at least for now. Hopefully, something could be done to get this film out to the public, word of mouth is already out and "Feast" stands to make millions at the box office.

Horror Sci-Fi Film Festival in Arizona

Author: rosete from United States
24 October 2005

I made it to a screening of "Feast" at the International Horror Sci-Fi Film Festival in Arizona on October 23rd. I was really into the Project Greenlight show and from watching the show, I still didn't know what to expect from the film. It wasn't too long into the movie that I realized, even if you watched every episode of Project Greenlight as I did, you still don't see this coming. The movie was great! I sat back in my seat and went for a ride. It wasn't even 100% completed yet. A couple of scenes were too dark and it didn't have any credits. But it was so entertaining. They made this project for the horror genre, and they aren't going to let anyone down. There is so much blood, gore, and action in this film. The action sequences were a sight to see on the big screen. I was truly blown away with how good everything came out. John was there with his girlfriend Diane and one of the writers. They did a Q&A after the screening and were very outgoing with the audience. After the screening they joined me and a bunch of Arizona talent at a nearby bar to hang out. He answered questions and was very cool to chat with. I hope they don't have any problems with getting this movie into theaters nation wide. It's a fun story with everything you want in a horror movie. You have to check it out when you get the chance.

Great late night film

Author: Jake from Chicago, USA
15 October 2005

I saw this movie last night at the Chicago Film Festival. This movie is not one that will change lives or addresses pressing social issues. Though it would be easy for somebody to say that it is a metaphor for our day and time with terrorist threats and all, but somebody even could do that with Cheaper by the Dozen. So anyway about Feast, it's a great film to watch.

The premise is very simple a bunch of strangers are locked in a bar for the night as monsters try and get in. There really isn't much more to it and that is where the beauty of this film lies. I have heard that Marcus, one of the writers described this as a movie that you start watching on TBS at 2 am and you don't finish, which is a great description for it.

The performances are pretty strong because the actors seem so relaxed in them. The best performances come from Balthazar Getty, Duane Whitaker, Clu Gulgar, Krista Allen, and Josh Zuckerman. The work of the Thomas L Callaway the cinematographer is great, especially in the final showdown scene, some may complain about not being able to see but the red color that covers the scene is great. The final shot of Krista Allen behind the rising sun is just beautiful, even if it is only a simple horror movie.

The main credit goes to John Gulager, whom despite all the "drama" shown on Project Greenlight, has crafted a really enjoyable film. He took all the raw elements of the production and crafted just an amazing final product. This is a movie that I will suggest to people who just want to enjoy themselves in a theater.

Wow

Author: respero1138 from Austin, Texas, United States
10 October 2005

I just saw this at the first annual Fantastic Fest Film Festival in Austin, Texas and I liked it so much I felt compelled to write a review of it.

This is simply one of the best horror movies I have ever seen. I don't know much about film distribution, but it amazes and saddens me that this isn't in wide release ranking somewhere in the top 10 current films. Horror movies usually don't scare me, but this one genuinely did. It was also really funny, and the way the movie plays with character stereotypes had me guessing as to which character was going to get it next. There were moments when I was seriously shocked by the blatant violation of standard horror conventions. It takes real talent to play with clichés so effectively. Don't make the mistake of thinking this is a straight to video deal either, this is a well crafted and filmed movie. If you like genre films like Evil Dead, Tremors, or just like horror in general, you HAVE to check this one out, if you get a chance. Unfortunately, you may have to wait for DVD.

Awesome Horror Movie

Author: kdskoda from Savannah, GA
31 October 2005

I saw this film tonight at the Savannah Film Festival and I loved it. I'm not really into horror movies but this was just a good movie. It was funny, suspenseful, and well-made. I watched Project Greenlight and was not really expecting much tonight and I had a great time. This movie should definitely be released in theaters very soon. The entire audience of probably 800 people was very into it and gave it a standing ovation at the end. The studio made a big mistake not releasing it in time for Halloween. John Gulager, Mike Leahy, and Dianne who played Harley Momma have been here all weekend trying to get the word out about the movie and they have definitely been the toast of the festival.

Feast is a great movie...let's get it released!

Author: surfing7890 from Chicago
17 October 2005

I had a chance to catch a screening of "Feast" at the Chicago Film Festival. I hadn't caught the latest installment of Project Greenlight and hadn't even heard of the movie until a week ago, so I came in without any expectations.

At the least, it's got cult classic written all over it: --campy, smart writing --quirky characters that are developed enough to give them dimension without plummeting the depths of their personalities (it is a horror flick) --a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously --outrageously funny (more than you can say of other cult classics that have somehow survived)...I haven't laughed out loud that much since Meet the Parents (the original!) --totally scared the crap out of me numerous times --a plot that defies predictability, but doesn't collapse as a result of it

And for all those reasons, there's got to be a good chance it's at least going to be a sleeper hit...one that certainly appeals to the horror flick crowd, but is smart enough to draw others (like myself) that are just looking for a great, well-written, well-produced movie. Add the project greenlight junkies to that eclectic mix of audience draw...and, tell me again, why are the studios having trouble releasing it?

Everything you've always wanted to happen. Thanks.

Author: aTomProject from United States
1 November 2005

I was lucky enough to see this film at the Savannah Film Festival on Halloween and hopefully it will be lucky enough to get show in theaters. The film is the result of the TV show Project Green Light, but don't let that thwart you. I went in with the skepticism that I give all the horror movies these days and was pleased that it did not involve an evil child that glitches around the screen. This movie tears down the clichés of its predecessors and is provides non stop excitement from beginning to end. A great mix of horror, action, and comedy. The diverse cast is as good as the ways they are off'd. Well, reality TV has finally done something for me, now it can go away.

Need to get this movie out into theaters

Author: scootering2004 from United States
16 October 2005

This movie was an unexpected hit for me. I really enjoy every minute of this film from start to finish. It had a feeling of From Dusk to Dawn to even a Quentin Tarantino film. It's the first horror/monster movie that I have seen in a really long time that was actually good. I do not understand why it's having a hard time getting distribution. There are so many crap films out there right now that get distribution, especially films in the horror genre. Please people if you get to see this movie go and see it. It's worth your time and money. It's very funny also and never takes itself too seriously which helps the movie in the long run. The monsters never are called anything else but monsters and that's refreshing. No drawn out back story, just right to the point action, comedy, and suspense. Please again if you get a chance to see this film go see it. Spread the word to help the director, writers, and producers of this film to get it some distribution. If you were a fan of the Project Greenlight television show then actually go see the movie.

Definitely worth watching

Author: deadman71 from United Kingdom
13 October 2008

This little gem has just been released straight to DVD in Britain which is a travesty. It deserved to be seen in a cinema. The film shows that horror and comedy do go hand in hand if done well and this film does it perfectly. From the great character bios some of the more gruesome deaths this film has its tongue firmly in its cheek. The cast are top notch with some of the best comedy moments coming from watching the surprise deaths. It breaks a lot of the horror rules with who survives and who doesn't. The gore and special effects are fantastic. The film itself is paced perfectly with very little explanation as to why or what exactly is happening. I love finding a film of this calibre. It shows that you don't need to remake a Asian film with a huge budget in order to make a good movie. Watch it and enjoy it!!!

Nothing New, but Good for What it is

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
28 February 2008

First - let's clarify a few things which people seem to be confused about.

* Feast's budget was about $3,000,000.00, not $1 million.

* I am not sure whether the word "independent" should be used for a film which required (I assume) voluntary (donations?) 'production' efforts from Harvey Weinstein, Wes Craven, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. "Project Green-Light" or not. It's really too bad that their hourly rates don't show up in the reported budgets for projects such as this - would help to clarify a lot of misunderstandings regarding the nature of allegedly independent, supposedly low-budget releases.

* The cast is far from a group of of nobodies. Look them up right here on IMDb. For a supposed low-budget film, Feast relies very heavily on name-recognition and star power.

John Gulager does a very nice job of telling a claustrophobic, absurd, but fun tale of terror and gore in "Feast". It's an old story, but,in this case, it's told very well.

A bar full of archetypal jerks, losers and heroes are startled by a would-be hero's (Eric Dane) violent, blood-soaked entry into the bar with a gun and an attitude. The hero announces that the bar is just about to be attacked by four angry monsters with razor-sharp claws and teeth. The audience is almost immediately introduced to the film's audience participation game. Here are the (unstated, but easily understood) challenges:

* Understand that what is going to happen in this film is obvious and that we've seen it all before.

* The game is to figure out who gets it next

* If you're really good - try guessing how they are going to get it too.

The casting, editing and directing make this film worth watching. The script is fine for what it is, but that isn't saying a whole lot. And the acting is uniformly good - again, for what it is. Watching Henry Rollins ironically playing a self-help con artist with obvious problems of his own, Clu Gallagher comically reprising the roll of the ancient bartender and erstwhile retired gunfighter in a very unlikely isolated desert context, Balthazar Getty as the "Town Jackass", and Navi Rawat as the tough chick mom on a mission is well... just a lot of fun.

The special effects are heavily digitized and there are a number of very noticeable 'digital moments'. I know I am supposed to say that the special effects were brilliant for the cost of the film, but I do not trust the reported budget - I suspect that a lot of very expensive people were employed on a voluntary basis for this film, and it is obvious that their time was not accounted for in the reported budget.

Highly recommended for horror comedy fans and fans of the cast members. Not recommended for those who have difficulties with extremely disgusting gore, and not recommended for those who do not recognize at least one or two of the major cast members.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]