IMDb > "Outlaws" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Outlaws" More at IMDbPro »

Find out where your tax money goes.

Author: Richard Smeltzer from Yorkshire
23 January 2005

There's been quite a lot of nice stuff written about this programme, about how dazzlingly stylish and witty it is. Now that's all true, but what really makes it stand out is that it's probably the most accurate portrayal of the criminal justice system yet to hit our televisions.

Steve Coombes, the creator, spent a good deal of time hanging around police stations and magistrates courts so he could find out what happens and bring it to our screens. So what we have isn't your normal crime show's clever criminal gangs, but a succession of hopeless drug addicts and neglected kids. The big fish might occasionally show up, but are easily distinguished by the fact they get to walk.

Into this world are thrown a few characters: Dunbar, the cynical, amoral one; Gulliver, the idealistic rookie and Sarah Beckenham, the tough, ball-breaking career woman. So far so cliché, but the wave of coolness and comedy, not to mention the nigh-perfect casting, keep Outlaws from feeling tired.

Best Show on TV ever

Author: RobCattani from United Kingdom
26 July 2015

I have just watched all the episodes of this amazing show for about the 5th time and it gets better with every view, Phil Daniels is truly mesmerising as Dunbar, really is the performance of his brilliant acting career, the writing is sublime, all the acting is perfect and how this didn't get a second series is totally beyond me,too close to the truth? BBC being blind (or as Dunbar would say, Blunkett's!) ? I just can't believe it was shelved after one series, it's one of the biggest mysteries of TV drama history, everything about the show is spot on, the music is bang on, the story lines impeccable, and once again the acting was just perfection, the casting was truly inspired .

Bring Back Outlaws, you know it makes sense ...