IMDb > "Tom Goes to the Mayor" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Tom Goes to the Mayor"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Tom Goes to the Mayor" More at IMDbPro »

Bah!

Author: voodoomoose from Silverdale, Washington
23 May 2005

Tom Goes to the Mayor is quite possibly one of the best shows on Adult Swim. I was pleased to see that Adult Swim had more on their mind than simply ratings. They must've noticed that their late night programming was getting stagnant and repetitive with the hours of anime, and the line up of retro animation that everyone loves to duplicate. Tom Goes to the Mayor breathes new life into Adult Swim by integrating jokes that make no sense at first, but really grow on the viewer. Unlike Super Milk Chan and Robot Chicken, TGttM does not heavily rely on simply calling someone "a dumbass" repeatedly for laughs, and it doesn't focus on sexual innuendos and testicles to get people to enjoy the show.

The low-quality animation makes the entire show seem more real, especially since it's actual people who are being photographed while making strange expressions. But what I enjoy about TGttM is that you really feel for Tom and his plight.

Truly, you will absolutely LOVE or HATE it

Author: Ryan Miller (rtil@washington.usa.com) from United States
30 March 2005

It goes about half and half, but with Tom Goes to the Mayor, you'll either love or hate it. I don't know anybody that thinks it's just O.K. There are two types of Tom Goes to the Mayor viewers.

The first are those who absolutely despise creators Tim and Eric, think they are absolutely humorless, have no talent and think Tom Goes to the Mayor is the worst show on the planet.

Then there are the others, who find Tom Goes to the Mayor a very funny and entertaining show, and don't mind the strange and "choppy", you might say, animation it sports.

I am the latter. I love this show, and I think the expressions that Tom Peters, the Mayor, city council, extra portray are hilarious as well as the dialog. It's just as strange as any other show on Adult Swim, so I don't see a problem there.

It's a different kind of humor though, and for some it really clicks, and others will never, ever get it. If you haven't seen Tom Goes to the Mayor before, give it a try. I can't guarantee you'll like it, and you can't get your 15 minutes back, but you never know which side of the fence you'll be on.

Though Tom Goes to the Mayor is in the beginning of its first season, the seven episodes I have seen are great, including the pilot - so I think if it stays consistent it will continue to be excellent.

9/10.

tons of haters, but don't let them turn you away

Author: mastaloo1 from United States
21 March 2008

there's been a lot of comments on the how unfunny TGTTM is, and how it's a complete waste of time. But, to enjoy the show, you have to have an open mind when watching it. No, it's not going to be a "roll on the floor laughing" show, but it has its own droll type of humor. everything about the show, the dialogue, the characters, the animation (yes, which I happen to enjoy) is completely unique and enjoyable to watch. the sheer ignorance and childlike mannerisms of the mayor are enough to make the show funny, not to mention the off-the-wall dilemmas and hilarious guest appearances (Michael Ian Black, e.g.). If you're thinking about watching the show, don't let all of these negative reviews turn you away; you don't know if you'll like it until you watch it. At least give it a chance.

Dark , Adult , Political Humor

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
1 August 2006

I didn't expect much from a show called "Tom Goes to the Mayor" but after watching a few episodes I got hooked. This is one crazy show. Funny and downright sick sometimes, it's a great adult swim addition.

Why is it funny? Well, here's a look into a small town with a semi-clueless mayor (I say 'semi' because I think the mayor knows what he wants with his own agenda) and a do-gooder citizen Tom Peters who - doesn't have one of the best of home lives.

His (second) wife is a lazy cow, his kids are the worst step-children imaginable but here's Tom Peters - who's heart is in a good place - he wants to be a part of improving his town. But everything he brings to this mayor goes horribly wrong. Horribly. So why does he keep trying? Why doesn't he move? Why -- even when the mayor can't remember his name with all the things he's done with him! Why, indeed.

The mayor is mostly to blame for these disasters...but the mayor's council is just as clueless. A skewed view into local politics. And add in live action "married news team" which is one of the most weirdest couples around, you have "Jefferton".

A very dark humored adult show.

Mixed Feelings About This One...

Author: Bumblevivisector from United States
3 March 2007

One of Adult Swims bumpers called TGTTM, "...the most polarizing s@% of a b!#*$^ we've ever aired", and they weren't just trying to polish a turd by labeling it controversial. I simultaneously love and hate this show. While it was on, I couldn't wait for them to cancel it because I somehow knew that I'd like it more in hindsight. I didn't like it as a straight-up comedy, but it grew on me once I learned to see it as partly horror. The show follows the Tom Peters, the nicest, most normal guy on earth. He's just moved to Jefferton to try and make a living while making the world a better place, in spite of the town being populated mostly by degenerate mutants bent on torturing him to death, his new wife and 3 stepsons chief among them. Other viewers will call "mutants" an exaggeration, but the fact that only Tom was concerned about the town being completely submerged from a broken dam in "Bass Fishin'" makes me think Jefferton was a mid-western Innsmouth. As much as I hated the first season, I respected it for its uniqueness and took in every episode. And since seeing it, I've seen more and more things in everyday life that bring the show to mind, convincing me that it really has captured the zeitgeist, from the nightmare of finding a decent job in suburban America, to the stupidity and pretentiousness of local news programming and advertising in general. It also captures awkward moments without fixating on it like Seinfeld. The funniest parts are little commercials and visual gags, like trough-style breakfast-flavored instant meals, satirizing how fat we're allowing ourselves to get in the States. The basic pattern of each episode involves something terrible happening to Tom, usually the entire town turning on him because he was the only one sane enough to foresee and try to prevent something terrible from happening. The Mayor normally tries to help Tom, either accidentally of intentionally worsening the catastrophe of the week. So the recurring theme of the show's humor is misanthropy. Now, this next statement might only convey that I've been spoiled by living a nice, sheltered life in a first world country, but the reason this doesn't work is that misanthropy is only funny when people are randomly slaughtered left and right (Robot Chicken). The stuff that happens to Tom on the other hand seems so plausible that it's more horrifying than anything. The Porcelean Birds episode in particular put the entire 18-35 demographic on suicide watch for a half hour after it first aired. The show gets the viewer to empathize with Tom so strongly, that in the second season, when several stories see Tom accidentally kill and maim much of Jefferton, it became truly cathartic and hilarious, partly because Tom is the last guy on earth who'd hurt a fly, yet he truly deserves to eviscerate every last Jeffertonian. I actually laughed aloud at "Jeffy" when Tom, piloting a fake sea serpent, crushed several boatloads of people, and later (though not the last episode), we get our happiest moment as Tom is finally granted the sweet release of death, and takes half the town with him. Sure it implies he goes to Hell, but at this point it's been made clear to us that any Hell would be a step up from his life in Jefferton. Since cancellation, "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job" has shown that their sense of humor is more suited to A.D.D. sketch comedy (Robot Chicken again), though I'm still sometimes at a loss as to whether I want to laugh of just smack them. Still, Tom is so adept at messing with your emotions while mocking our society that it's worth watching once. And if nothing else, it makes other unpleasant but good entertainment more enjoyable. Try watching "New York Ripper" right after an episode.

100% worth giving a try

Author: laura maccarthy from boston, ma
7 June 2006

You can't just ask one person about this show and expect to get a well-rounded answer. It seems to be pretty black and white with most people, whether they end up loving or hating it. Personally, I'm infatuated with it. Tim and Eric are amazing with the awkward, dry humor. So amazing, that one might not think it's funny, but just poor acting. DO NOT BE FOOLED. These guys really just are that good at it.

In the beginning, I didn't just immediately love it, but it was such a curious show that I kept tuning in. It took me a few episode to fully comprehend the humor, and once I did, I discovered they're true genius. A bit of advice, pay attention to detail, the magic is in the subtlety. For those who feel they can't get past the stylized characters, blue and white people, choppy animation, mouths that don't move, try their videos at www.timanderic.com. Maybe once you've been exposed to the same humor in a different form you will come to see what TGTTM is trying to say.

The second season is expected to incorporate more live-action creating a healthier balance for the show. Like the first season, you can expect to see just as many celeb cameos. Those who have already decided they don't care for the show may want to re-evaluate their stance.

TGTTM is doing something new

Author: (lakerfan316@aol.com) from United States
24 April 2006

Tom Goes to the Mayor finds its humor in the things in everyday life that aren't amusing unless you look. In real life getting something bronzed is not funny. In TGTTM the creators put enough of a twist on it to make it absurd and hilarious. A user comment prior to this one said that this show is trying to have dry humor but it doesn't work. Although there is some dry humor (Tom referring to a hobo infestation as a "bum rush"), this show gets its laughs at being ironic; making fun of normal and mundane this. I beginning to believe that all people who are aqua team and robot chicken fans and not TGTTM fans have ADD. TGTTM has all the same humor that other adult swim shows have but with actual substance and new material in between. Like Aqua Team, TGTTM has people throwing up and senseless violence. Like Robot Chicken, it has poop jokes (but higher class poop jokes such as "Hi, I'm Tom Peters, but you can call me poop.") I love this show because it has every kind of humor rolled up into one, you just have to be smart enough to notice it.

Worst Adult Swim Show...EVER!

Author: tracerbullet003 from United States
5 June 2005

I've watched two episodes of this series...and that was two more than I should've watched of this pathetic excuse for a series. The animator seems to come from the David Rees' (from the comic strip "Get Your War On") school of pasting clip art on a white board and calling it a cartoon. But while Rees tries to actually send a message in his strips, this cartoon doesn't send any message whatsoever other than "this is the funniest show ever...provided that your blood-alcohol count is over 1.5!" Here's an example: In one of the episodes I watched, the town of Jefferton (the town Tom and the Mayor live in) is about to host Toodles Day, which involves a dog chosen to play matchmaker for other dogs in the town! Get it? Wait, here's another joke: Tom tries to train the matchmaker dog by teaching him to sniff the anus of another dog! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a riot! I haven't seen comedy this funny since the live-action movie version of "Dudley Do-Right!" Oh, and here's another joke: the town's local news team is "the only married news team," because they're both stereotypically gay! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Stop it, you're killing me! This series should've been axed a long time ago. Adult Swim has other good cartoons: Harvey Birdman is a funny show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a randomly hilarious show. Tom Goes To The Mayor is, to put it bluntly, just plain retarded.

Bizarre, yet shockingly refreshing

Author: kioberry from United States
3 March 2005

I know not how the idiot mayor of Jefferton was elected, but he would do well to listen to Tom's advice. Tom is a character to sympathize with. His ideas are creative, if not inspired, but the mayor has a way of ruining everything. For some reason, though, Tom goes back to the mayor. And for some reason I keep watching. As for the animation, I love the realism of the paper cut outs of the people, and the expressions on their faces mismatch so extremely with those people usually make, that it hard not to laugh. Though this show is bizarre, it is not so in the uncanny way other adult swim shows tend to be. However, I do find this show shockingly refreshing. Yet, I cannot find what component of this show, that for intents and purposes is simply un-humorous, actually makes me tune in and laugh.

Original animation with unmistakable adult swim style

Author: Jill (The_Cackling_Stump) from United States
17 December 2004

Tom goes to the Mayor relates the saga of Tom Peters, a man who has countless of ideas to improve his new hometown, Jefferton, ideas that are repeatedly botched by the mayor of Jefferton(known only as the mayor).

I wasn't too enthusiastic about this show when it first came on, but the unique animation and the antics of the danger-t-himself-and-society mayor of Jefferton are growing on me. This show has traditional adult swim style, with crazy random comedic plots and the total ability to pull on the funny bone. The only problem I'm starting to have is feeling sorry for Tom, who starts out with ideas that are genuinely good but is constantly thwarted by the mayors stupidity, how many episodes can come out of this before it gets too tiring? But this is only the beginning, I don't have much fear that the creators will not fail to dazzle us in upcoming episodes. I have that much faith in adult swim cartoons.