IMDb > Outsourced (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Terrific

Author: Geof Miller (storyguy@msn.com) from Seattle, WA
27 September 2007

I went into this film thinking I would see a "nice" film that "deserved to be seen" (which is too often code for a boring movie). I laughed my ass off, as did the whole audience. This is the most entertaining movie I've seen in months -- time and again the filmmakers found a way to surprise me. A tight story. Terrific performances from the stars all the way down to the tiniest roles. Perfect pacing. Graceful, muscular directing. This is not a "good little movie" -- it's a good movie, period and it's a crime it's not getting wider distribution just because the male lead isn't played by the flavor of the month. A smart, funny film.

Delightful and kind of educational as well

Author: kzoofilm from Portage, MI
19 September 2006

One of the happiest surprises of this year's Toronto International Film Festival was this delightful, beautifully shot comedy, which is not only funny and touching but actually offers a few insights into Indian culture as well. Josh Hamilton is terrific as Todd, an American businessman who is less than thrilled to learn his Seattle office is going to outsource its work to a call center in India. He's even more perturbed when his boss makes it clear that Todd will be in charge of training the Indian workers to efficiently handle orders while sounding as American as possible; that's important since the firm markets all-American knickknacks, such as miniature flags, hot dog toasters and Wisconsin cheese hats. The culture clash that results is beautifully played and wonderfully written. This has the potential to be another MY BIG FAT Greek WEDDING, if it's handled properly. I hope it is. I've been a big fan of Hamilton for years and he deserves a big hit.

From the heart.

Author: Boudewijn Rombouts from USA
27 September 2007

I had an absolute blast watching this movie today. It was funny, moving and most of all, sincere. It would have been very easy for the filmmakers to fall back into stereotypes while writing and shooting this movie, but they skillfully steered clear of any pitfalls that plague so many other movies out there, especially in this genre.

I got the chance to see this movie at a special screening at UW in Seattle today and join in a Q&A session with the writers (and director) John and George, Ayesha, who plays Asha, and a few of the producers. John, the director and co-writer, mentioned he had spent quite some time in Nepal and India during his student years. And although the story itself is a fictional one, the cultural shocks and experiences Todd goes through were largely based on John's own experiences during his time abroad. This seems to make for a very honest take on the nuances of this story. Luckily the movie not only focuses on Todd's shock of arriving in a completely new culture. The local people that Todd deals with on a daily basis also find they need to adjust to Todd's American way of running a call center. This makes for a balanced telling of a story about cultural differences and, maybe more importantly, the similarities.

It may not be a groundbreaking movie by any blockbuster standards, but the sincerity seems to be coming straight from the heart. And that's something you rarely see in movies nowadays. This movie deserves all the attention it gets. So go see it! And if you like it, tell your friends.

Outsourced -- the next "Big Fat Greek" movie?

Author: radiobiggs from United States
8 March 2007

First, the bottom line: "Outsourced" is a fantastic film, that deserves a wide Hollywood release despite the lack of a celebrity actor. Why? It's just that good. Finally a feel good film about something almost nobody in the U.S. feels good about: outsourcing. I saw "Outsourced" at its debut at the Cinequest film festival in San Jose, and the audience response was simply overwhelming. It's funny, smart, romantic and manages to do all of this while teaching Americans valuable lessons about life in a globalized world. GO SEE THIS FILM! My overly-optimistic prediction is "Outsourced" will be the next "Big Fat Greek Wedding"...if Hollywood manages to look past the lack of a big-name actor. -M. Bigler

Outsourced - Terrific comedy!

Author: dauntless-3 from United States
22 September 2007

I thought this was a terrific comedy. The dialog is well-written and believably delivered on the screen. It has clever comedy set-ups with payoffs late in the film, which is hard to do well and I really love when it is. It was genuinely funny all through the movie. I felt it captured a part of Indian culture not often seen elsewhere. This is not Bollywood! All the characters are well-acted and believable. The American versus Indian culture gap hits all the marks and is mined for comedic gems. The romance between the lead characters plays very well, both are wonderful and appealing. I left the theater feeling like I had just enjoyed a delicious Indian feast. Don't miss it!

Like going to India for 90 minutes

Author: storybus from United States
31 May 2007

The sweetest movie I've seen all year, full of funny cultural misunderstandings and whiffs of the foreigner experience. Amazing performances by Indian actors, especially a certain "Auntie G" who is the "Hyacinth Bouquet"/"Hostess with the Mostess" of Bombay. The fellow who plays Puri charms as consummate straight man to cross-cultural business humor. Loved that the company's products are American patriotic crapola, and that they still mean something to the striving foreign vendors. Much poetic poignancy between the laughs in this film. Josh Hamilton's character's evolution is believable and rewarding, reflecting a journey many more Americans need to take. Don't miss this trip!

Absolutely charming

Author: louisecardinal from Canada
17 September 2006

The story is one of our age, one of disappearing jobs, forced intermingling of different cultures, and what it means to learn and expand in our world view. Because others have told the outline of the story, I won't redo that here, but rather focus on why I so completely enjoyed the film. I too saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, sitting in the first row because I was in the "rush" line. It speaks to the warm, human, and entirely charming story that I was able to actually stay with it from the perspective being practically underneath the huge screen, looking up, making sure my eyes were looking through the right part of my glasses. As a westerner who has traveled, worked, and loved being in India, I found the writing true to life and always seen from a positive angle. Todd's openness and vulnerability contributed to his steep upward learning curve, and was essential to his success there. We too must be open and interested if we want to live in a world that is increasingly global and challenging. I'm not sure how the romantic part of the story will be received in India, should the film get a distributor there, as I have found that most are pretty conservative regarding what they want to see on screen. But I wish the filmmakers all the success, and I hope they make many more films like this one.

Great movie about Indian and American cultures

Author: seattlewausa from United States
18 June 2007

Really well written movie that pokes fun of both American and Indian cultures but with respect for each. Filmed partly in Seattle, but mostly in India. You see an American call center director has his section outsourced and he reluctantly travels to India to keep his job for a few weeks more till his stock options vest. He finds a culture he slowly comes to respect and embrace through an Indian woman he falls for and friendship with his coworker. The story plays out over many location shots in and near Mumbai. You almost feel you've been there by the end of the film. A great Indian cast really puts this one over the top with many laughs. Your next call with an Indian call center won't be the same.

This is a "must see" romantic comedy

Author: charlesdias from Brazil
27 November 2007

I am not a fan of romantic comedies, specially "Friends" like ones because I think it is too pasteurized, politically correct. I thank God there is some nice romantic comedies with another spice that taste great for me and this movie is an example of it.

Basically it show the cultural shock of a sad US call center manager sent to India to train an outsourced team. It is very nice how this movie shows the way the de-passionated yank finds the meaning of life in such different place and culture.

I am Brazilian and I know some US people that comes here to visit the country and decided to stay and adopted Brazilian way of life. This movies shows very well this happening.

If you want a very nice movie to watch when you are depressed with your work, pick this one ... and prepare yourself to be eager to travel to an exotic place after it ends.

Beautiful

Author: nassim_abed from United Arab Emirates
12 December 2006

Movie earned warm heavy applause after its screening in the Dubai International Film Festival yesterday evening: the audience, a mix of Europeans, Middle Easterns, and Indians, showered the director and author and lead actress with questions after the show. I particularly admired the ending (spoiler ahead): sticking the "bindi" on George Washington's forehead - an excellent subtle invitation for a critical look on what drives work (and inevitably life) that the movie did not pretend to tackle head-on yet illustrated throughout: after all, placing the missing piece isn't foreign to Seattle.

It is also quite remarkable that both authors are not Indian: asking my Mumbai-native friends for a reality check, they only confirmed the movie did indeed capture a good realistic snapshot of what India is like. At least in those corners explored. Quite impressive research efforts from the two authors.

It would be a shame if this movie doesn't spread to more screenings in more theaters in more countries: although marketing it may seem a challenge in a monochrome world, it definitely can have many advocates among those who go and actually see it. It would be fantastic to work on spreading it by independent unconventional means then track its success: are we about to witness a new revolution in cinema marketing? I can dream on but then, myself neither Indian nor American, I cannot see how one must be either to absolutely enjoy this excellent piece of work.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]