IMDb > Mini's First Time (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great dark comedy

Author: lafs1 from United States
4 June 2006

If you're a fan of this genre, you'll love this film. If not probably not for you, but one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. Depraved, unrelenting, will probably scare the hell out of some parents or Christian fundamentalists who think Hollywood is glorifying deviant behavior in our teens.

The conceit of the film, a girl who will try anything once is very effective because you're always wondering where this philosophy will take us next. Without giving anything away, this idea mixed with an ethereal, driving score pulls you into Mini's world and you'll follow her anywhere.

The performances by all 5 leads are incredible. Baldwin gives his best performance in years and that's saying a lot because he's been doing great work. It's easily the best I've seen this year so far in any film by a male lead. He renders this macho, yet beaten down PR exec in a way where although he doesn't deserve our sympathy, he gets it.

Reed is astonishing. Part vixen, part little girl lost, the glee with which she sets about her goals, takes a character who is, in fact a sociopath and makes you respect and like her. Although what she does is without a doubt destructive there is an implicit understanding that she is surrounded by adults who only pretend to be moral. Her intellectual honesty is actually refreshing.

Her performance works in part because of Carrie Anne Moss' willingness to deliver one of the most chilling and hilarious performances in years as Mini's mother. The incarnation of Hollywood self absorption. It's clear that Mini wasn't born this way, she is a product of Diane's utter lack of mothering. Mini is an inconvenient appendage in Diane's life and Diane lets her know it whenever she can.

Jeff Goldblum is spot on perfect as their TV producer neighbor, whose lighthearted, Dionysian life is a constant thorn in Baldwin's side. Luke Wilson also gives as subtle a performance as he has in years. At first playing an incarnation of his sad sack Mitch from "Old School" and then switching on a dime to show us just how smart this detective has been all along. The look of muted terror on Baldwin's face when he realizes how he's been the recipient of Wilson's own PR play is priceless.

I'm sure some parents groups will attack it as encouraging teenagers to turn on their parents and to indulge in the darkest parts of society, but it really felt like a cautionary tale about what happens when kids know in their bones that they aren't loved.

Wickedly Funny Dark Comedy with great performances

Author: BrianTS from United States
6 May 2006

Saw this at Tribeca Film Festival and was laughing the whole way through. This is a very unique film in that it dares to blend genres. Part pitch black comedy, part noir, it sucks you into the story and takes you along for the ride.

Nikki Reed's great in a role that could have been obvious. Alec Baldwin (always good) gives one of the best performance he has in years and Carrie Anne Moss is hilarious as the mom. Goldblum's role as the TV Producer neighbor is so damn funny and Luke Wilson gives a really subtle performance as the detective.

The twists and turns are a a blast. Definitely not a film for those who don't like black comedy, but those with more sick, twisted senses of humor should love it.

A Wild and Wicked Adventure

Author: georgianastar from United States
2 August 2006

I saw this film at Tribeca and loved it. From the moment it started with the pulsating music and the fast paced driving sequence of Nikki Reed in her sports car, I was hooked. The energy and excitement kept me on the edge of my seat and the performances were outstanding, especially the wonderfully wicked Nikki Reed, who was superb in "Thirteen."

I was especially impressed with Carrie Ann Moss' performance in a very different role, reinforcing her 'A' list status and demonstrating her wide range as an actress. Other outstanding performances were turned in by Jeff Goldblum, Alec Baldwin and Luke Wilson.

The dialogue was fresh and funny, and I enjoyed going on the wild ride with Nikki Reed and Alec Baldwin as their antics became more and more outrageous. If you love a great dark comedy, this film is for you.

Awesome!

Author: Sasha T (fivebyfive-5)
8 September 2006

One of the better movies I have seen this year! Dark but incredibly funny at the same time, Mini's First Time really wowed me. It's a shame that this is a small independent movie and will probably not be released in many cinemas - as far as I know, there's not even a release date for the UK right now (although it's been out in the US for a while).

Nikki Reed absolutely steals the show in this. Her portrayal of Mini is funny, sexy, deliciously evil, and just very enjoyable. Carrie Anne Moss also did a brilliant job as Mini's mom, a true bitch but for who you can't help but feel a little bit sorry for as well.

I loved the combination of a dark story line with all the humour, and laughed out loud several times, something I don't do very often while watching movies! It's been compared to Heathers, another favourite movie of mine, and I can see some elements of it are similar. The style of the movie is very different though, much more polished and, in a strange way, more realistic.

If you happen to see this one anywhere, do not miss it - it really really rocks. Can't wait to own it on DVD!

Well made under-stated piece of cinema

Author: Jon Gillett from Bournemouth, England(UK)
31 August 2006

Inevitably each of us audience members will take something different away from watching this film; for me it was just how far some people will go to get what they want in this modern world, with a complete lack of moral obligation! **Minor spoiler on next 3-4 lines; skip if you want** Don't get me wrong, I felt as though it was a little OTT (considering a late teen/early 20-something could team up and commit murder/voluntary manslaughter{not sure what the correct charge would be} with step-dad), but then again I'm sure stranger things have happened in real life! The twist was obvious to me, considering the character in question; but probably not to all, but it did try to tell a moralistic tale without all the heavy lecturing narratives or sudden change of heart.

The acting was all first rate, Carrie-Anne-Moss was stunning both to look at and to watch at work as the hopeless self-indulgent mother, Baldwin was brilliant and expertly brought a refreshing duality to the step-father character: seemingly both apprehensive in some scenes & prepared to do what it took in others, which I would imagine is not an easy thing to do when reading the text on a page when getting into character. The young star Nicki Reed was great for a newbie, I have seen "13" in the rental store but I never felt like actually picking it up, but after seeing her performance in this I may decide to check it out; one to watch following in the footsteps of Christina Ricci etc playing the young but totally savvy & remarkably inventive Mini. Goldblum plays himself; almost aping himself at times & Luke Wilson follows with another underrated performance ala Royal Tennenbaums & steals the show as the doggedly determined cop who does a performance in his best "Columbo" mode.

As I stated earlier; each will see this from a different perspective, many religious people may see it as glorifying the "get rich quick by doing whatever you have to" mentality of modern people (both young and old), but remember that story is told by a character who had no real father at all (Baldwin only started acting like one during the film by the lead characters own admission 20 minutes or so into it) & a mother who takes every opportunity to dig at her with snide remarks and even use her daughters bed for her own carnal needs, without a second thought. Coming from a similar upbringing myself I can relate to certain parts of the character that mean you have to grow up fast to protect yourself from outside influences & if not kept carefully in check by the personal moral values of the self; it is easy to adopt a "mercenary" attitude, caring about nobody & nothing but your own selfish needs.

This is how I would imagine the director meant the work to be seen; a lesson in how ignoring your children's emotional and personal needs as they grow up can create damaged and sociopathic personalities, not straightforward 2-dimensional "Michael Myers" types, but perfectly adapted clever ones who pick up on the pretend niceties and morals of the adults around them & develop the facility to use all means at their disposal to manipulate and prey upon such things...Unique...

Very Interesting

Author: srique from Trinidad & Tobago
16 April 2007

Everyone is saying that this movie is dark...what could be darker than The Quiet!!! This movie is not as dark as some other movies that I have seen. What happens is not exactly right but it is not that DARK! The movie itself is very well done. Again, this is the second movie I have seen where the mother is so out of it that she does not really need a role in the movie. It is ridiculous in the sense that I am sure she just has a few lines. Alec Baldwin acts well as a man being controlled by his sexual appetite. It is a very funny movie. Nikki Reed is a good actress but needs to do something different. She has always done these roles of screwed up teenager. She won't be a teen for long and if she is not careful, her career will be over once she starts looking more mature. The twist in the movie is very interesting. i would say a must see at home with a few friends. Not academy award winning but very entertaining.

What an amazing ordeal...

Author: Bosco-HK from Ft. Wayne, IN.
10 December 2006

I enjoyed this movie, and actually watched the Commentary version too. Martin (Alec Baldwin) played such amazing roles, wealthy man, a stepfather, a 'fallen-for' and Mini's 'actual father'. And I was really amazed at Mini's character (Nikki Reed), I really felt that I was watching her previous movie, Thirteen. She takes the commanding role without anyone else noticing her underlying plans. She also has one of the comedic horror roles like some killer in "I Know What You Did Last Summer" or "Scary Movie". I was also amazed at her performance at grieving for a dead member of the family. I loved it! Mini's mother, Diane (Carrie-Anne Moss), was so entertaining. Though in her lines, there is a lot of foul language for her role as a drunken mother, she was extraordinary intriguing to watch her feelings shift from ultimate command of the family to frustration and jealousy to frightened. All other cast members, especially Mike Rudell (Jeff Goldblum) as the next door neighbor, and of course, Garson (Luke Wilson), who asked terrific questions that sometimes throw off people's planned responses. I enjoyed one of the questions about the car's consumption for an occurrence to happen.

The relationship built between the different characters in the movie was fantastic and enjoyable that I felt like I was literally a father if I was to choose a character in the movie. Mini's internal side at one scene was displayed dramatically awesome when her stepfather really got under her denial exterior of the real world.

I recommend this movie for teenagers and parents who would like to actually understand more of their daughters and other teenage girls in the real world who really experiences parental, social or life problems. This movie really teaches me how relationships drift and how one can make a wrong step. Also, how hard it is to play a role as a stepfather.

disturbing, twisted, not one of my favorites but amazing cast.

Author: triple8 from Conn
24 December 2006

SPOILERS:

I thought I was going to love this! I've recently seen the movie "Pretty Persuasion" which is a bit similar to this and liked that a lot. But this movie, while not awful, really bothered me. It was very well acted, actually amazingly so, featuring superb performances from all the cast and wonderful direction but the movie was so incredibly mean that it was very difficult to enjoy it.

Since I generally enjoy these type of pictures (I count 'Heathers", "Cruel Intentions", "Wild Things", "Election" and "pretty Persuasion" as good movies) I did ask myself why I had such a hard time with this one. Using comparisons to 'Pretty Persuasion" a movie I just saw recently, I have to say that movie, despite the twisted aspects-(and there were many) was provocative. It was daring but it had something to say. There were a lot of different themes explored and it made one think.

But with Minnie's first time, it seems mean without all the Depth and introspective aspects. This is a very hard movie to like. I Will admit I was riveted and had no desire to turn it off. But man did it annoy me at times! It is a disturbing movie I'll give it that.

Some of the main characters frustrated the heck out of me. Unlike other movies, we are not provided much detail on Minnie's motivations either. She just seems to hurt people randomly. Alec Baldwin did a great job with his character but this story was just to twisted for me. I mean sometimes there is a line between dark and utterly twisted. Minnie's first time seemed a compilation of many other films but the depth needed to really make a good film didn't seem to be there. This was not awful or dreadful but it just was not my type of movie. I thought it would be. It started promisingly. But This movie just left a bad taste in my mouth in general. I guessed fairly early the pictures were from Minnie not the neighbor. I was also bothered that Minnie got of Scot free. So this isn't my favorite of the genre although I've seen a lot of 1 and 2 votes on here and I could never give it a really really low rating because it's got some positives, mainly the performances. This movie defines "Performance Driven".

So in spite of the negatives and Even though I wouldn't strongly recommend this, I'd give it a rating of low 6. It's got some positives, number one as mentioned the performances but also is the way the movie sticks with you-way more then other similar films. This movie is disturbing and one won"t forget it easily. I have noticed many either seem to love this or hate this. There are so many excessively low or high ratings on here. I'm one in between. I don't think this is Oscar material but nor do I think it's awful. I may even watch it again! (It could fall into the "Guilty Pleasure" type of movie but it wasn't that enjoyable to watch so I guess not) If I sound a bit confused about this movie it is because I am. But this is one where even though I was bothered by it, it does have something that grabs the viewer. Alec Baldwin is excellent as is Reed, Glodblum, Moss and Luke Wilson in a small but surprisingly effective role. This movie will never be one of my favorites and I can think of many other directions I'd have preferred it to go but it sure is intense movie watching. My vote's 6.

black widow in the making

Author: wrlang from United States
6 November 2006

Mini's First Time is about a rich screwed up teenage girl (Mini) whose mother had her to get money from the father. When that father died the mother landed another rich guy. When Mini accidentally gets hooked up with her step father while doing the call girl thing, it gets kind of wild. It's a little funny in the beginning as Mini and her step father do the nasty under her mother's nose. Things get a little carried away as Mini and dad finish mom's suicide and of course dad takes the fall for it. Mini gets off Scott free and has a good time doing it. Great acting all the way around, an A+ movie. Mini is a black widow in the making.

Author: Snoopymichele from CT
13 December 2006

Contains spoilers.......................

Nikki Reed, who was so great in "Thirteen" as the femme fatale corrupting Evan Rachel Wood, is even better as the totally twisted Mini who takes delight in doing anything to get what she wants. In this case, it's her dear old stepdad Martin (played to the hilt by the always amazing Alec Baldwin). Mommy Dearest (Carrie-Ann Moss in a terrific turn)is a drunk named Diane who only had Mini to squeeze eighteen years of child support out of a producer, who died a year after Mini's birth.

The dynamic duo of Martin and Mini want Diane out of the picture, so they hatch a plan to drive her crazy so Martin can ship her off to the nut house and shack up with Mini. When their half-baked plan goes awry when Diane overdoses on pills, they decide to finish her off by making it look like she committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning with her Jag running in the garage. What's a little murder between lovers?

After Diane's death, the cat and mouse games begin-with Martin as the mouse and an unknown blackmailer as the cat. Martin's world begins to unravel as he tries to keep up the appearance of being just Mini's father. The pace is fast and furious, and you can't wait to see what Mini has up her sleeve next. She's not a bad girl, just misunderstood-and she makes Dede from "The Opposite of Sex" look like a girl scout.

Jeff Goldblum gives an awesome performance as a sleazy TV producer who had Diane at one time, and now has his sights set on bagging Mini. He's a lecher, but a likable one at that. Owen Wilson is perfect as a hard-nosed detective who is trying to prove that Diane's death was not a suicide, and Mini has him wrapped around her finger-or so she hopes.

It's a dark comedy about a girl gone wild, and it's worth the ride. My vote is 9 out of 10.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]