IMDb > Get Smart (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Get Smart

Get Smart More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 38: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Not as funny as I was expecting, but still a fresh new comedy for the summer

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 June 2008

Last year I saw the teaser trailer for Get Smart, Steve Carell throws a phone at the guy from Borat and it's on a wire and stops before it can hit him, I nearly died laughing and new I had to see this film. More and more trailers were released and this movie just looked more and more funny, I just couldn't wait to see it. I got to see it this week and I have to say that I was expecting this to be at least a nine out of ten rating. Steve Carell is such a great comedic actor and we had such a promising cast. Now I'm only 23 years old, so I haven't seen the series, but I know that it's a series that was made by Mel Brooks and was pretty popular back in the day, but I cannot judge it on what the series was. As a movie, I'd say it was good, as an all out comedy, I wasn't too thrilled. It has some really funny moments, I guess I've just seen all the screw ball comedies to the point where I am used to these stories by now.

Maxwell Smart works with a secret agency, he's got the smarts, but not exactly the skill to be a secret agent. But when hot Agent 99 is on the case, Max is given a chance to work with her. They have to stop a terrorist who is threatening to blow up a building with the president. But with Max and Agent 99 on the case, Agent 99 being good at the skills, and Max at least having the brains, with the feelings they're doing their best to hide, they stick together and learn a few new tricks.

Get Smart is a good movie, I would recommend it, I would more so would recommend though that you wait for the rental, the funny parts were already shown in the trailer unfortunately. The cast though was excellent and did make the movie work very well, the strange thing was is that Dwayne Johnson actually did a good job, he's proving more and more that he's a decent enough actor for the characters he's portraying. Another thing I did like is that they didn't make Max into a total idiot where he is like Steve Urkel or something. It's just too typical, Steve made Max into his own and the movie does still deliver good laughs, just I wish it could have been a little more.

A welcome Summer's laugh fest

Author: pboszor from United States
21 June 2008

Get Smart is remarkable not so much for what it contains but for what it avoids. Funny movies lately have included a lot of pottie humor, bodily fluids, flatulence and other crudities that seem to please young people of a certain mentality. Get Smart manages to be very funny in subtle ways that don't shout "Look at me. I'm funny". Steve Carell's portrayal recalls the efforts of past comic actors like Buster Keaton and Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther movies. He exhibits an earnestness that makes you believe that he believes in what he is doing no matter how ridiculous it may seem. His dance scene could have been offensive to certain people if it were poorly handled but instead is hilarious. Kudos to the director, Peter Segal, for maintaining a sensitivity and awareness that the audience is not always composed of idiots. One scene between Steve Carell and Dwayne Johnson near the end of the movie has the comic brilliance and timing of the classic pie in the face that you knew was coming but laughed at anyway. This is not really an action movie although things do blow up and crashes occur. This is a fine, funny film which we need more of and which people who have never seen the TV series can enjoy.

Be smart, avoid this stinker

Author: demyan2 from United States
22 August 2008

'Fantastically funny'? Really? I only watched 15-20 minutes of the movie before walking out, so it's possible that I missed all the good stuff, but somehow I don't recall anything funny in what I actually saw. A smug guy walking into a wall? How original. A person being bumped into by another person on the street, then by another one, and complaining about that? Wow, I did not see that coming. 'Eggs falling out of uterus'? Finally something not seen in 14,586 other films and run-of-the-mill sitcoms, if out-of-nowhere crass, but funny? Yikes.. (And the preceding conversation about Anne Hathaway's character being older than she looks: was it supposed to be funny, and why was it there at all?) I hoped that Bill Murray in the tree would be a good scene, but the cameo just fizzled out on its single, painfully predictable note. I went to see 'Get smart' for Steve Carell, but saw the Steve Carell of 'Evan Almighty', only way more bland and ordinary - a far cry from the 'man of intensity' of 'The Office'.

Get Smart couldn't Get Funny.

Author: Belle-Et-La-B from Dublin
27 June 2008

I have never seen the original show but I have heard of it and I always heard it was supposed to be witty.... That DEFINITELY was not this movie! This movie was filled with pathetic dialogue you could TELL they thought would be funny that nobody laughed at, lame attempts at physical humor (Scary Movie 4 did it better!), and unpleasant moments with Steve Carell (what is up with him being so smug in his movies now? Who finds that funny?). And the weird thing is I feel that people might feel like they were SUPPOSED to like this movie. I've had to see it twice and in both showings there weren't that many laugh moments and yet I hear people leaving say how much they loved it! It's like, "Where you watching another movie on your ipod too?" Another bad thing about this movie was it's a bad spy adventure. It seemed like they put HALF the thought into the adventure part they put into the jokes (and it shouldn't even be POSSIBLE to put that little thought into something!). It's just the average "evil" organization who's rarely seen throughout the entire movie has taken some nuclear weapons and is planning on holding the world hostage for a large sum of money. Well guess how predictably it ENDS! The only positives of this movie are the performances of Alan Arkin (who has THE funniest line in the movie), Dwayne Johnson (who had his funny line deleted in favor of an unfunny line from Terry Crews) and Anne Hathaway, who proves to be ten times funnier and more enjoyable than Steve Carell thinks he is. For your sake, go find a comedy that is ACTUALLY funny! (My advice is to stay away from Steve Carell!)

Awful, just awful.

Author: gevalero from Mexico City
28 June 2008

This is one of the most insipid movies I have ever seen. After about an hour and 20 minutes I just completely gave up and left the theater. Whenever I watch the old show I can't help but constantly laugh, as much as I tried to do the same with the movie I could not laugh once, not once. The only remotely funny joke was the one about Max asking how to get the bad guys to take the cyanide pill he is equipped with and guess what, they took that one right out of an episode I watched a couple of months ago. The theater I saw this was fairly packed and even the usual group of people who'll laugh at anything was pretty silent. Instead of wasting millions of dollars the producers would have provided audiences with a much better entertainment if they had simply edited about 4 old episodes and shown them instead of this piece of garbage. It's a shame Hollywood can be so good at blowing things up but so terrible at providing laughter and excitement. And regarding Hathaway as agent 99, my only recommendation to her would be to never again in her life try comedy again, ever. It's just not for her, period. After watching Carrell as 86 I would do the same thing but I realize this is what he does for a living and he has to live off something. At any rate, something good came out of this experience. By leaving early I was able to reduce the cost of parking to the exact amount of change I was carrying. Guess things could have been worse.

Still not sure about this one

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
29 January 2015

I'm writing this review after my second viewing of 'Get Smart.' When I first saw it, I wasn't exactly blown away. My overall opinion was that it was a film that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be an action film or a comedy.

Since then, I have got into the U.S. version of 'The Office' and really enjoyed Steve Carell's performance in that. Therefore, I thought I'd give the film another go to see if it's grown on me at all. Carell plays one of the 'backroom boys' who aids the American Secret Service. The film moves pretty swiftly the circumstances which elevate him to 'full field agent,' but, before long, he's on a mission to save the world with his sexy partner, played by Anne Hathaway.

If you're thinking, 'This sounds a bit like Johnny English,' then you'd be right. Sort of. Johnny English was also a comedy based around a – slightly incompetent – secret agent. Only it was a total comedy. If you like that sort of humour you'd find it funny and pretty much laugh all the way through. However, 'Get Smart' seems to want to try and tell a 'spy story,' complete with world domination threat, car chases, fight scenes and double-crosses.

Unfortunately, after sitting through it a second time, I can see why I forgot it. It's not bad. It's just not that good, either. Granted, there are some funny moments, but they never seem to come as often as I felt they should. Now I've watched The Office, I can basically see Steve Carrell is basically playing his small screen character 'Michael Scott,' only with a new job and slightly more capable at fighting. Only The Office is a comedy and there are more jokes in an average twenty minute episode than there are here.

I didn't hate it. I just thought that it should have played to one strength or another. I don't regret watching it a second time, but I'm pretty sure it'll be my last time. Carell is and can be much funnier than he is here. I hear that Get Smart is based on a TV series and, having not seen that, I can't really compare the two. But, I think I'll stick to The Office instead.

Carell makes up for Evan Almighty in this "Smart" comedy.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
3 August 2009

After the poor Evan Almighty last year, Steve Carell redeems himself with this smart comedy, Get Smart. Get Smart works in many ways. It works as a comedy and an action film. Director Peter Segal's films are very funny and this is a good one. I have never seen the show Get Smart. I had never heard of it until one of my teachers talked about it. Well, i've seen the film... it should be good enough. Maxwell Smart is like Inspector Gadget in a way. He's clumsy, uses things like the shoe phone(Inspector Gadget doesn't use that but he uses gadgets. You should've known that. Maxwell Smart uses gadgets, but is more clumsy. Steve Carell is very good as Maxwell Smart. Anne Hathaway is pretty good as Agent 49. Get Smart is very funny, very entertaining and has a good cast. Including The Rock, Alan Arkin, Terrence Stomp, and James Caan as the president. Get Smart has a sequel coming out in 2011. I wish it would come out sooner than that. Steve Carell is funny in everything besides Evan almighty, which was mostly a kids comedy. It was an epic but no good. I quite liked Dan in real life, and this film is very good. Get Smart is pure entertainment.

Brilliant move from TV to film

Author: Scott Nichol (yocca_98@yahoo.com) from London, UK
14 June 2009

Being a fan of Steve Carell, I have always been slightly disappointed with the quality of films he has stared in. Whilst his co-staring roles have been very good (Ron Burgundy, Bruce Almighty) his lead role have been generally quite poor (40 year old virgin excluded) However, in Get Smart he appears to have found the type of role that suits his undoubted comic talents.

Get Smart is based on the 60th TV series of the same name and, apparently, pays just enough homage to the original (had to ask my American friend about that as I only had a vague recollection of the TV show.) It is based on the bumbling antics of Maxwell Smart (Steve Carell), a frustrated analyst for CONTROL (a US government spy agency) who is desperate to become an Agent and do battle against KAOS, a terrorist organisation led by the shady character known only as Siegfried (Terrence Stamp) Unfortunately, despite passing his agents exam, Smart is refused promotion due to the Chief of Control (Alan Arkin) insisting his analytical skills are too valuable to the organisation. However, after Controls HQ is attacked and all other agents identity is compromised, Smart is promoted to Agent 86 and, along with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) must infiltrate KAOS and thwart their plans to set off numerous nuclear devices worldwide.

This leads the two agents to firstly parachute into Eastern Europe, where they attend a party hosted by a member of Kaos. Then onto a bakery and finally back to America where they discover the initial target is a concert hall where the president (James Caan) is due to attend a concert.

The plot is nothing special but the action moves along well and is generally well acted. Whilst some of the comedy moments are less than successful - the scene with Agent 13 (Bill Murray) talking to Agent 86 from within his tree costume being one that immediately spring to mind - their are a number of genuine laugh out loud moments that left me with aching sides (Smart trying to remove plastic handcuffs using a dart gun whilst in an aeroplane toilet being my favourite.) The support cast all play their parts and whilst the twist at the end is not a major surprise, you do find yourself routing for Agent 86 The film is not perfect and there are moments where you feel more rigorous editing would have helped. However, I would have no hesitation in recommending it as a enjoyable way to pass 90 minutes and it does show the creators of Jonny English how to do this style of film. I look forward to Get Smart 2 (which has been announced.)

Not as good as the original series

Author: paudie from Ireland
31 March 2009

Steve Carell's (he is an executive producer) movie version of Get Smart is a good DVD for a night in. It is funny but there are very few belly laughs in it. The cast are all good but the script doesn't really give them a chance to shine. Carell doesn't opt to even try a Don Adams impression and Smart isn't half as incompetent and dimwitted as the original. In fact he is Control's best analyst and that's the only reason he is not a field operative. However after the Control HQ is attacked by KAOS he joins up with Agent 99 to track down the culprits. That's about all you need to know about the plot. There are a few funny moments but think an opportunity was lost to make a really funny movie with a good cast. I think the film lacks the anarchic touch of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry that made the original series such a treat.

Kahli & Rock & whatever

Author: DJJOEINC from Virginia Beach
20 January 2009

Wanted to see Hellboy II today but the free passes I had did not include movies in their first 2 weeks- so I opted to watch Get Smart instead- the price was right.I did not hate the movie and Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway did a good job as the leads.What made the movie fun was the ensemble cast with funny quips from Alan Arkin,Terry Crewes,Patrick Wharburton and Dwayne Johnson.Terrance Stamp was excellent as always as the villain.Former WWE champion Dalip Singh is also in the movie as a killer for Kaos- he kind of reminded me of Jaws from Moonraker- the first confrontation with him was even a parachute fight.This is mindless slapstick fun- nothing memorable nor did it forever tarnish the vague memories I have of the old show.Worth Netflixxing or a matinée if you are looking for some lowbrow shenanigans.The highlight(maybe lowlight) was seeing a preview for the remake of Deathrace 2000. C+ Jobber Joe Roundtable Wrestling Radio