Employee of the Month (2006) Poster

151 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I wasn't expecting much...
aalexakisfan14 January 2007
I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I laughed at several witty lines, especially one where Zach corrected Vince's grammar, but Vince didn't get it. Even Jessica Simpson didn't bother me because they didn't try to inflate her intelligence; they just made her a rather bland character.

The plot isn't original, but watching Vince pretend he was Tom Cruise from Cocktail made me laugh. When I watch this sort of movie I want to laugh and I did just that. Dane Cook was a pleasant surprise too. I had never seen anything with him. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even though I didn't think that I would.
69 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
surprisingly good
tomntempe23 October 2011
I was pleasantly surprised to find this movie was way better then I expected. Some of the humor is a little subtle for what you might expect. One scene I liked was toward the end when the box boy gang is coming down the main aisle with Zack next to the Andy Dick character who can barely see thru his coke bottle glasses. Dick starts veering off to the side and Zack puts his arm out and pulls him back and they continue on as if realigning someones walk is a normal event. The movie isn't intended to reinvent Shakespeare but some of the harsher reviewers seem to judge it in that light. I thought Jessica Simpson was a good choice for her part. Any lack of acting ability fit the part just fine and works. It was a pleasant and funny movie to watch and never resorted to throwing in four letter words just to do it like so many movies will do.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Are you kidding?? GREAT MOVIE
SpidermanPez6 January 2007
I was hardly amused when I saw the previews for this movie. It didn't look that good, I'm not that big of a Dane Cook fan (and in no way a Jessica Simpson fan), and I didn't enjoy "Waiting" too much (though I'm not sure how much that relates). This movie has more wit than it knows what to do with, and I laughed out loud numerous times. All the acting was spectacular and I was surprised to find that the writing had equal amounts of humor and heart.

To come into it thinking it was going to be terrible and coming out thinking it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while, I'd say that's an accomplishment. Though its only my opinion of course, check it out if your curious.
78 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Employees, Stars and Cleavages
Chrysanthepop15 October 2012
On face value, 'Employee of the Month' looks pretty bad and after seeing it, it's not that great of a movie by any means but it isn't as terrible as it looked. It doesn't have anything new to offer but some of the jokes work well and the sequences with Cook and Shepard competing against each other do make one chuckle. It's certainly forgettable but can be enjoyed in parts (for a one time watch). The actors playing Zack's friends were very annoying especially Andy Dick. It doesn't help that they're given terrible lines. Zack's grandma is the funniest character. Dane Cook is quite likable as the competing employee but it is Dax Shepard who steals the show as the obnoxious arrogant employee of the month who takes an awful lot of pride in himself. Jessica Simpson's role doesn't require much except for her to look good. She seems to compensate for any shortcomings by giving the viewer more than a glimpse of cleavage...on multiple occasions throughout the film. Tim Bagley is funny as the boss. Overall, it's a silly film that doesn't require more than a one time watch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this movie is actually good!
chubbycat1228 July 2006
I gotta be honest. I didn't expect much from this movie for about 1000 reasons but it really took me by surprise. It's HILARIOUS! I loved it so much that, by the end, I wanted to work in the Costco with all of them. The entire cast is solid - my favorite being Dax Sheppard. He is a comedic genius! I don't know how the makers were able to do it but they even managed to get a good performance from Jessica Simpson. I wanted to hate her but I just couldn't. She's very likable and genuine in this movie. And the best part is - they don't have any of her songs on the soundtrack. Employee of the Month is a quirky comedy with a substantial story and charming characters. Definitely a movie worth checking out!
112 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It sounds like a good movie, but you would be wrong
(Synopsis) Vince Downey (Dax Shepard) is the head cashier and winner of 17 consecutive Employee of the Month awards at Super Club. If he wins one more Employee of the Month, he will be put in the Super Club's Hall of Fame and win a new car. Zack Bradley (Dane Cook), who is the ultimate slacker, has been working at the Super Club for 10 years, and is still at the bottom job, working as a box boy. Then Amy (Jessica Simpson) enters the picture; she is a new cashier transferring in from another Super Club store. Amy has a reputation of dating men who have won Employee of the Month at the other store, so Vince and Zack want to date Amy. The fight is on to win Employee of the Month!

(My Comment) Well it sounds like it could be a good movie, but you would be wrong. This film's stupid humor is crude and silly and to that end, it was made to please the young crowd. By the TV commercials, you would think that Jessica Simpson had a major role in the movie, again you would be wrong. Jessica had about 6 scenes in the whole movie, and those were not very impressive. The film did not capitalize on the rivalry between Zack and Vince to a point where it was real. You knew the story before it happened and who was going to get the girl. You can skip this, because it isn't worth the ticket price. (Lionsgate, Run time 1:43, Rated PG-13)(3/10)
47 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You've Already Seen This Movie.
Dustin Tabor7 October 2006
I went in hoping for something that was like Clerks or Office Space, What I received was unfortunately this piece of crap.

Employee of the Month could have been funny or decent, but like most comedies made in the last decade, all of the characters and situations are unbelievably over the top. The characters are all unsympathetic caricatures with no depth and one joke apiece that they tell over and over again. Many of the remaining jokes don't even make any sense. The thing that always makes workplace comedy the funniest is the truth of the situations the characters find themselves in. Instead what was presented is a series of contrived plot points pulled from every teen movie and apparently written by a twelve year old imagining what it would be like to have a job.

There was a chuckle or two and Jessica Simpsons breasts gave a stunning cameo as themselves, otherwise this movie is just another poorly written, directed, and acted cliché fest with no heart, truth or humor.
126 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny
saraseanez1 October 2006
I saw this too at a sneak preview and I was not disappointed. Dane Cook is a really funny guy and this movie showed it. I liked the story line and their characters. I noticed that Jessica Simpson only had like 20 lines and they probably just used her to sell the movie with the posters. Dax was funny as the bitter rival for Dane Cook's Zack. Andy Dick was refreshing as was the rest of the supporting cast. The Napoleon Dynamite dynasty keeps expanding with Efren's take on Vince's sidekick. The story was great and there are many funny scenes in this movie that makes it cool to work at one of those stores. Great movie, good laughs! I'd watch it again. There are some little twists to some parts of the movies and the end is alright, could be better though. Over all, good movie, great laughs, fun time! I'd watch it again.
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you must see it wait for the DVD, don't waste your money on tickets!
amy-parker-19 October 2006
Although, I am a big Dane Cook fan, I was very disappointed in this movie. A former warehouse store employee during my college years, I was able to relate to the movie a little more than some people. I think it would have been a much better movie with some small story line changes and most of all...if they had another actress...any other actress...playing the role of Amy. I was somewhat shocked that a "superstar" like Jessica Simpson, could be so horrible in a movie. I mean any other actress that is that bad would never get any type of role. She was bland, boring, not funny and even unattractive in this movie. Although I am a "former" Jessica Simpson fan, I am embarrassed that I even wanted to see this movie. She has disappointed once again. Let's all hope Hollywood wakes up and realizes that "tabloid star" does not equal "movie star".
32 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bearable comedy thanks to Dax Shepard and Efren Ramirez
christian12315 March 2007
Zack Bradley and Vince Downey (Dane Cook, Dax Shepard) are employees of the Super Club retail chain who already don't get along, except that Zack is a slacker box boy, while Vince is the chain's star cashier who has been Employee of the Month for 17 years straight. When a pretty cashier named Amy (Jessica Simpson) shows up at the store, the competition heats up as Zack is hell-bent on beating Vince to win the coveted award and the heart of Amy.

Employee of the Month turned out to be a lot better than the preview promised although it's still a bland comedy with only a few funny characters and moments. The biggest problem is the staleness of the script. It is best described as hit or miss. Some of the jokes were pretty funny while some jokes felt like a cheap move for laughs and felt quite short at being funny. While the plot was a little inventive, the scenario started to run out of steam because there are only so many laughs you can get out of this type of premise. It would have worked better as a shorter skit because an hour and forty minutes felt too long at times. Also as a romantic comedy, the film completely failed. If you do give it a shot, treat it as a simple comedy with a romantic subplot or else you may be wondering who's in the real relationship.

Dane Cook gave an okay performance. He had a few funny scenes and then he failed to show charisma in a few other ones. Jessica Simpson was awful and she showed no character. Her performance was very blah and she made the romance between her and Dane appear very weak. There was no chemistry between them and once you get past Jessica's looks, you don't get much. Dax Shepard was pretty good and he did a lot with generic material. His sidekick, Efren Ramirez was also pretty good and he had some great scenes with Dax. Andy Dick was incredibly unfunny and annoying. Harland Williams was equally bad although not as annoying. Overall, Employee of the Month is a bland and harmless comedy that's only worth checking out if you're a huge fan of Dax Shepard or Dane Cook. Rating 5/10
27 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this