IMDb > Employee of the Month (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I wasn't expecting much...

Author: aalexakisfan
14 January 2007

I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I laughed at several witty lines, especially one where Zach corrected Vince's grammar, but Vince didn't get it. Even Jessica Simpson didn't bother me because they didn't try to inflate her intelligence; they just made her a rather bland character.

The plot isn't original, but watching Vince pretend he was Tom Cruise from Cocktail made me laugh. When I watch this sort of movie I want to laugh and I did just that. Dane Cook was a pleasant surprise too. I had never seen anything with him. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even though I didn't think that I would.

Are you kidding?? GREAT MOVIE

Author: SpidermanPez from United States
6 January 2007

I was hardly amused when I saw the previews for this movie. It didn't look that good, I'm not that big of a Dane Cook fan (and in no way a Jessica Simpson fan), and I didn't enjoy "Waiting" too much (though I'm not sure how much that relates). This movie has more wit than it knows what to do with, and I laughed out loud numerous times. All the acting was spectacular and I was surprised to find that the writing had equal amounts of humor and heart.

To come into it thinking it was going to be terrible and coming out thinking it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while, I'd say that's an accomplishment. Though its only my opinion of course, check it out if your curious.

this movie is actually good!

Author: chubbycat12 from United States
28 July 2006

I gotta be honest. I didn't expect much from this movie for about 1000 reasons but it really took me by surprise. It's HILARIOUS! I loved it so much that, by the end, I wanted to work in the Costco with all of them. The entire cast is solid - my favorite being Dax Sheppard. He is a comedic genius! I don't know how the makers were able to do it but they even managed to get a good performance from Jessica Simpson. I wanted to hate her but I just couldn't. She's very likable and genuine in this movie. And the best part is - they don't have any of her songs on the soundtrack. Employee of the Month is a quirky comedy with a substantial story and charming characters. Definitely a movie worth checking out!

You've Already Seen This Movie.

Author: Dustin Tabor from United States
7 October 2006

I went in hoping for something that was like Clerks or Office Space, What I received was unfortunately this piece of crap.

Employee of the Month could have been funny or decent, but like most comedies made in the last decade, all of the characters and situations are unbelievably over the top. The characters are all unsympathetic caricatures with no depth and one joke apiece that they tell over and over again. Many of the remaining jokes don't even make any sense. The thing that always makes workplace comedy the funniest is the truth of the situations the characters find themselves in. Instead what was presented is a series of contrived plot points pulled from every teen movie and apparently written by a twelve year old imagining what it would be like to have a job.

There was a chuckle or two and Jessica Simpsons breasts gave a stunning cameo as themselves, otherwise this movie is just another poorly written, directed, and acted cliché fest with no heart, truth or humor.

It sounds like a good movie, but you would be wrong

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
12 October 2006

(Synopsis) Vince Downey (Dax Shepard) is the head cashier and winner of 17 consecutive Employee of the Month awards at Super Club. If he wins one more Employee of the Month, he will be put in the Super Club's Hall of Fame and win a new car. Zack Bradley (Dane Cook), who is the ultimate slacker, has been working at the Super Club for 10 years, and is still at the bottom job, working as a box boy. Then Amy (Jessica Simpson) enters the picture; she is a new cashier transferring in from another Super Club store. Amy has a reputation of dating men who have won Employee of the Month at the other store, so Vince and Zack want to date Amy. The fight is on to win Employee of the Month!

(My Comment) Well it sounds like it could be a good movie, but you would be wrong. This film's stupid humor is crude and silly and to that end, it was made to please the young crowd. By the TV commercials, you would think that Jessica Simpson had a major role in the movie, again you would be wrong. Jessica had about 6 scenes in the whole movie, and those were not very impressive. The film did not capitalize on the rivalry between Zack and Vince to a point where it was real. You knew the story before it happened and who was going to get the girl. You can skip this, because it isn't worth the ticket price. (Lionsgate, Run time 1:43, Rated PG-13)(3/10)

Funny

Author: saraseanez from United States
1 October 2006

I saw this too at a sneak preview and I was not disappointed. Dane Cook is a really funny guy and this movie showed it. I liked the story line and their characters. I noticed that Jessica Simpson only had like 20 lines and they probably just used her to sell the movie with the posters. Dax was funny as the bitter rival for Dane Cook's Zack. Andy Dick was refreshing as was the rest of the supporting cast. The Napoleon Dynamite dynasty keeps expanding with Efren's take on Vince's sidekick. The story was great and there are many funny scenes in this movie that makes it cool to work at one of those stores. Great movie, good laughs! I'd watch it again. There are some little twists to some parts of the movies and the end is alright, could be better though. Over all, good movie, great laughs, fun time! I'd watch it again.

surprisingly good

Author: tomntempe from Tempe AZ
23 October 2011

I was pleasantly surprised to find this movie was way better then I expected. Some of the humor is a little subtle for what you might expect. One scene I liked was toward the end when the box boy gang is coming down the main aisle with Zack next to the Andy Dick character who can barely see thru his coke bottle glasses. Dick starts veering off to the side and Zack puts his arm out and pulls him back and they continue on as if realigning someones walk is a normal event. The movie isn't intended to reinvent Shakespeare but some of the harsher reviewers seem to judge it in that light. I thought Jessica Simpson was a good choice for her part. Any lack of acting ability fit the part just fine and works. It was a pleasant and funny movie to watch and never resorted to throwing in four letter words just to do it like so many movies will do.

Employees, Stars and Cleavages

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
15 October 2012

On face value, 'Employee of the Month' looks pretty bad and after seeing it, it's not that great of a movie by any means but it isn't as terrible as it looked. It doesn't have anything new to offer but some of the jokes work well and the sequences with Cook and Shepard competing against each other do make one chuckle. It's certainly forgettable but can be enjoyed in parts (for a one time watch). The actors playing Zack's friends were very annoying especially Andy Dick. It doesn't help that they're given terrible lines. Zack's grandma is the funniest character. Dane Cook is quite likable as the competing employee but it is Dax Shepard who steals the show as the obnoxious arrogant employee of the month who takes an awful lot of pride in himself. Jessica Simpson's role doesn't require much except for her to look good. She seems to compensate for any shortcomings by giving the viewer more than a glimpse of cleavage...on multiple occasions throughout the film. Tim Bagley is funny as the boss. Overall, it's a silly film that doesn't require more than a one time watch.

Silly and funny spoof, much better than I thought it would be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
17 March 2007

It was a free loan from my library, and it is just over 90 minutes, a perfect time-killer for a Friday. And it does have cute and stacked Jessica Simpson. With a very low IMDb rating (5.0 right now) I didn't expect too much. The movie makes fun of the gangs of misfits that run big warehouse stores like Sam's and Costco. In fact one shot showed Kirkland merchandise which is a Costco brand.

Dane Cook plays Zack, a classic underachiever who just wants to hang onto his job and content to be a box boy -- the one who gets empty boxes and brings them to the check-out area. If he can come in late by having a co-worker punch in his time clock, so much the better.

Dax Shepard plays Vince who is just the opposite. He is the number 1 checker, famous for the "show" he puts on for customers, and has set the record for fastest checker in the SW. He has won 'employee of the month' for 17 straight months and, if he accomplished an 18 straight, he wins a 'newish' 2002 car on display. He would love to replace his 1981 Honda with 230,000+ miles.

The comedy arises because Zack and Vince are each other's nemesis. Vince is stuck on himself, is sure he will win the car, and Zack wants to thwart that. Plus, a new checker shows up. Jessica Simpson is Amy the new checker and Zack finds out from her confidential personal folder that she goes for 'employee of the month' types. He is smitten with her and now has two reasons to win, so he decides he will win for the current month. It isn't easy, but he starts to make progress in his goal, to the consternation of Vince who does what he can to prevent it. Plus, Zack and Amy start to get friendly.

Efren Ramirez who was great as Pedro in 'Napoleon Dynamite' is Jorge, a bagger who works with Vince. Andy Dick is funny as Lon, who can hardly see but runs the eye department.

SPOILERS. The info on Amy was not right, her former boyfriend had been employee of the month at a former store, but she was just a normal person. In a final show-down in the store, after Zack and Vince had tied, each with 15 stars for daily achievement, Vince beat Zack by a second or two. But at the awards ceremony, the security guard came up with a videotape that showed Vince was passing some items behind his back to the bagger/boxer, meaning it wasn't scanned. Not only was he cheating in the contest, he was giving away merchandise, and had been for months. He was fired, Zack won, got the girl, and 6 months later we see Vince on parole, with an ankle monitoring device. Funniest scene, Vince and Jorge in a car at night, putting pantyhose over their heads before breaking into Zack's home to change his clocks, Vince comments on a bad odor. "Where did you get these, Jorge?" The answer, "From my mother's gym bag." A bit crude, but very funny.

Sucker of the month

Author: masters-cindy from South Africa
3 July 2008

Were to begin? Let me be honest, this movie is mediocre maybe 1 out of ten. Its difficult to enjoy n movie that's so predictable that this movie. its one of the movies that have been done a thousands times (and a lot better)the good guy vs. the bad guy the good guy wins and gets the girl. I have never in my life seen a male cashier Jessica Simpson once again supplies us with inept acting . but the honor of the worst acting in this movie must go to Dax Shepard aka Vince Downey the best male cashier It amazing that some people enjoyed this movie,but if you like boring predictable movies,full of lame acting aka Jessica Simpson and dax Sheppard kind of bad acting you will enjoy this. But it like watching a remake of every 1980 Comedy.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]