IMDb > Deep Sea (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Sea

Deep Sea More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Bare-bones nature documentary still the most divine underwater experience around

Author: D A from SoFla, UsA
20 March 2007

The 40 minute IMAX experience makes it's way to DVD without any additions, minus the 3D glasses. For better or worse what home viewers are still left with remains nothing short of stunning the entire stretch of time. Against all marketing intuitions, the short documentary still remains absolutely captivating from the first frame with it's charming portrayal of some of the ocean's less represented characters. Aided by the eerie luminescence of Danny Elfman's score and playful narration from Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, Deep Sea 3D might pale in comparison to the original experience but for anyone even half-interested in the revelations of nature, particularly occurring in the alternate universes miles below us, the spectacular, too-beautiful-to-be-real visuals present will remain nothing short of miraculous with each subsequent viewing.

An outstanding 3d look at the world of the Deep Sea.

Author: haleylovemom from United States
3 March 2006

I went with my boyfriend to go see this opening night and I must confess I had been waiting for this movie to come out in IMAX for literally months. I am in love with ocean-life, specifically sharks. I must also must confess that I have probably seen more movies at the IMAX than in a regular movie theater. The only one not a documentary was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. So to say the least I had very high hopes for this film. When I discovered the narrators were Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, they got even higher. Then when I discovered that Danny Elfman did the music and David Forsyth was on camera I knew it would be magic. I was not disappointed. It starts with the coral reefs and the homes of the animals and it quickly it becomes incredibly easy to lose yourself within the movie, however you feel like you are losing yourself in the ocean. You explore the life inside the reef and listen to how they all work together and you almost become proud of the life and animal community there. It moves seamlessly from the reef to the open ocean and you begin to see the most amazing footage ever caught on film. From the creatures that you are familiar with, like the shrimp and squid to the fishes and jellyfish that your mind is stunned by because they are like nothing you expect or can dream up. It is a trip and education that you'll never be able to have anywhere else unless you are diving in the ocean. I had my mouth open in awe for much of this film. The camera shots, the narration, the music is a beautiful package. There were times I actually felt like I wanted to cry, because of the absolute magificance of the filming and the subjects of the film. I do have one complaint though. It was over way too soon!

Mystery....Oh Yeah...

Author: robert-gray-2 from Italy
10 June 2009

A startling trip down under (I don't mean Australia!!) under the sea, specially for mugs like me who cant swim, scuba or otherwise get wet. Awe-inspiring and drenched with mystique. The part about the millions of coral polyps releasing their spawn precisely on the eighth day after the new moon, at a synchronized moment 1 hour after sunset...well that may be a mystery to scientists!! I asked my young nephews as we returned home, "who programmed the Game Boys for your PC? Who programmed those polyps?" They responded spontaneously to the logical conclusion, off course youths do not fear the conclusions to which their minds naturally lead them. Mystery indeed! Our only misgiving was we didn't see any sea-horses, my wifes favorite poisson.

2nd

Author: kosmasp
14 September 2008

Like in the 2nd movie I've watched in an IMAX theatre. The first being "The Dark Knight" (see my comment on that elsewhere on IMDb), although you could argue that Deep Sea is actually the first real IMAX movie I've watched on an IMAX screen ... I don't even know if I can compare it to anything else, movie or theatre-wise or even picture-wise so to speak ...

But I can say, that it blew me away! You might have heard of 3-D movies and cinemas/theatres and so on, but forget all about those things (watching Spy Kids 3-D or anything similar can't even come close to this experience), because this is as real (3-D) as it gets! The glasses you have to wear to watch and experience the movie, might look like a bad fashion choice from the 80s, but they do "work"! Before the movie, we were treated to some trailers and they looked great too, but the main feature had people literally grabbing into air (I was tempted to "touch" some of the fish that were swimming right in front of me, but I resisted ... my bad).

The narration by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet is really great too, the only let down being that it is a bit too short. And due to the fact, that more kids attend to the screenings than adults, you have to be lucky not to sit next to a "screamer" ;o) (it could influence your viewing pleasure, if you're frightened to death every other minute! ;o) ). Overall it was a great experience and I can't stress out enough, that I need one of those screens at my house! ;o)

If you get the chance, see it in 3D on an IMAX screen

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
11 March 2008

This past weekend, the family and I went to the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga. While there, we caught Deep Sea 3D at the IMAX theater. My son has a copy of the movie on DVD, so I knew what to expect and knew the basic premise of the film. What I didn't expect were some truly amazing visuals. I was completely blown away by the images. There's a scene at the very beginning where the waves come rolling in toward the camera. The 3D effects actually made me jump. It looked like we were about to get soaked. The underwater scenes were just as cool with great colors, interesting and unusual animal life, and solid 3D visuals. Both Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet do an acceptable job with the narration. I've read where some complained that the script was geared toward smaller children. Well, I was with a small child so that didn't bother me. My only complaint with the experience is some of the added sound effects. The folly guys worked overtime and the end result is pretty bad. Scallops fleeing from a marauding sea star do not sound like school kids on the playground.

Having watched Deep Sea 3D on an IMAX screen in 3D, I don't know that my son will be able to watch his DVD on a regular TV anymore. The IMAX 3D was that amazing.

Sensational Documentary!

Author: Deborah Ledford (amberdawn-2) from United States
30 April 2007

"Deep Sea 3D" is in IMAX Format, and it is narrated by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet. It's a Documentary that reveals, never-before-footage of, ocean floors' around the globe. It shows, up-close, scenes of very bizarre creatures! There are strikingly beautiful coral reefs which are home for many marine animals. Coral reefs are the most productive of all marine ecosystems. There is also a surprise that shows a diversity of sea organisms that come to coral reefs for reasons other than to live and eat.

The documentary also reveals how very fragile coral reefs are. It appears that marine biologists have predicted that, as a result of human activity, coral reefs are declining. They show how each species is dependant upon another species, including us humans. And most of these sea species depend upon the coral reefs; they are a very important part of marine ecosystems. So, steps should be taken to protect these beautiful and important ecosystems.

I was surprised to find some of these aquatic creatures in these depths of water. Starfishes, for example, are usually found in shallower waters because that is usually where their food is found. They didn't show ordinary starfishes; nor were many of the other creatures' ordinary. It was more like extraordinary! And there is a scene, at the end, that is another fascinating surprise. Who knows what other sea life lies waiting to be seen in the oceanic abyss? Besides the beauty and uniqueness of "Deep Sea 3D," it's very educational. It reveals that our ecosystems and the aquatic ecosystems interact with each other. Ecosystems never exist in isolation. There's always a connecting link between environments. And some of these aquatic inhabitants migrate, thousands of miles, then come back to the coral reefs when necessary. So, they spend cycles of their lives' in entirely different countries! I'll bet this surely must make conversation difficult for them!

"Deep Sea 3D" is fantastic! I gave it a 10. You've got to watch it; if not, you're really missing out on something great.

Beautiful IMAX film of our world underwater.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
14 April 2007

Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet provide very pleasant narration for this IMAX film which I watched on DVD. At home, it is not in 3-D. However that did not detract at all.

The movie is not a 40-minute story, but instead is several episodes covering different, interesting parts of life in our seas. The photography is in beautiful color.

My personal favorite was the story about the California Mantis Shrimp. It is about 10 inches long, very colorful, lives in a burrow, but in the water moves much like a cartoon figure in superb digital animation. But this shrimp is real. It has fast, powerful legs that strike a blow similar to a 22 rifle shot, to crack open shells. But we also get to see an octopus trying to invade this shrimp's territory, and the shrimp is one cool customer, chasing him away with a few choice strikes.

Overall a very fine film, worth a viewing or two.

Scuba diving without getting wet

Author: earlybirdie58 from Canada
25 March 2006

Underwater, what a perfect setting for IMAX's 3D technology. This film's beautiful cinematography makes it an enjoyable documentary, even if it had to be viewed on the flat screen, but add the impact of 3D and it becomes an enthralling adventure. Jellyfish that suddenly pop up inches from your nose, six-foot squid that challenge the camera and then dart between your legs and an array of sea life, much of which will be new to most viewers. The music score wonderfully compliments the visuals and the narration, though somewhat in an instructional mode, is informative. My only suggestion would be to include some footage that contains only the audio of the sound of the cameraman's underwater breathing and the associated escaping bubbles to replicate a true below-the-depths experience. Get to your nearest IMAX and dive in!

Beautiful Visuals, Awful Narration

Author: Lisa Moran from London. England
1 March 2006

Deep Sea 3D is a stunning insight in to an underwater world only a few have had the opportunity to view first hand.

From the opening sequence when a wave rushes towards the audience momentarily engulfing us in the ocean, the filmmakers make full use of the IMAX format. A jelly fish field appears to fill the whole theatre, a shark powers towards us, predators pounce from behind rocks and devour their prey. It is a beautifully captured under sea feast for the eyes.

Our ears on the other hand, are not given the same treatment. The film is narrated by Hollywood stars Jonny Depp and Kate Winslet. Both sound so ridiculous it positively spoils the enjoyment of the visuals. Depp sounds slightly bored whilst Winslet sounds as if she is reading a bedtime story to the village idiot. I was shocked that an actress of her status could have pitched her performance so wrongly. The script is fairly silly and contains very little depth. The soundtrack is filled with strange, unrealistic sound effects which I assume are meant to be funny but in fact detract attention from the material which should have been allowed to speak for itself.

Danny Elfman has provided an excellent score which gives plenty of impact to the ups and downs of life under the sea, when it is allowed to play out without the silly bubble sounds or crayfish footfalls which pepper film.

The film is a technical marvel but with it's childish script, annoying narration and misplaced sound effects it cannot be taken seriously.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]