IMDb > Deep Sea (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Sea

Deep Sea More at IMDbPro »

The best IMAX movie I have EVER seen - EXTRAORDINARY!

Author: Patrick C from United States
6 March 2006

This movie is an absolute must-see. The underwater cinematography is outstanding. I am a scuba diver and have been snorkeling many times and the images in this movie made me long for the sea. This film captures the incredible adrenaline-pumping feeling of what it is like to be under the sea, to be visiting what feels like another universe on our own planet. The visual images are amazing. For example, the movie will show a shot of a certain part of a reef and you'll be staring right at it and BOOM a fish who was perfectly camouflaged into the reef will pop right out at you. The 3-D effects rock.

What most impressed me about this film was that I learned about and saw beautiful pictures of countless species I never even knew existed before. To be 38 years old and see a species on this planet you've never seen before is pretty cool. Additionally, I learned a lot about the habits of many of these creatures that I had no clue about.

In sum, great entertainment for adults. You cannot leave without learning something new. Also a wonderful, highly entertaining film for children.

Thoroughly enjoyable, don't miss it.

Author: kccrouch from United States
27 February 2006

This is one of the finest examples of underwater photography ever. I'm a diver and have visited some of these places, and this will give anyone a first hand look at what goes on underwater. The colors are true and the sounds are incredible. I'm very glad to have been able to see it. I'm told that the IMAX cameras weigh in at 1500 pounds. Even underwater with neutral buoyancy, moving those cameras about must have been a real challenge. The narrators do a wonderful job of keeping the film interesting for non divers by questioning each other, and then answering those questions in a revealing manner. This film is suitable for grade school children through adults. A great endeavor.

Totally real, but you don't get wet.

Author: ( from Boston area, USA
6 March 2006

Even the best of undersea documentaries are still viewed on a screen 50' or more away, not to mention the flat, often grainy screen. "Deep Sea" (3D) shrinks that 50' to a few feet, and in some cases, inches, and brings you scuba-diver-close to crystal clear coral, fish and shellfish, sharks, and even whales.

Undersea images are not just presented to you. You are in their element. You are among them . . .literally surrounded by them. The crystal clear images hovering over the seat in front of you beg you to reach out and touch them. I found myself pointing to small details on coral or fish as my wife and we spoke in awed tones at what we were seeing.

I would think that children would find this easy to take, also. There was a little bit of this-eating-that going on, but nothing really stressful. This is a serious, high quality use of the 3D medium to bring you up close and personal to life in the deep in a way you would never imagine is possible. Bravo!

Beautiful photography but the narration is very much aimed at kids

Author: motta80-2 from London, England
21 February 2006

Deep Sea is the latest joy to be released in IMAX but part of its excellence comes, as so often, from being presented in IMAX 3D. All films should be released in this format, it's the true way forward for cinema. Even The Polar Express was good in IMAX!

Deep Sea is a 40 minute documentary feature that makes the most of its 3D. From the opening shot of a wave headed straight out of the screen to jellyfish fields, giant sea turtles and octopus and a legion of fish varieties and stunning underwater seascapes it does present the world it shows in rarely seen way.

It is only let down by the talking down, over-humanisation of the narration aimed at the kids in the audience, especially from Kate Winslet. Johnny Deppp works better but Winslet sounds like a school-marm talking to a class of four year olds. And the narration has an annoying habit, ala March Of The Penguins, of endowing the animals with human traits to make them easier to associate with for childish minds.

David Attenborough and the BBC make better documentaries as a whole production but you can't fault Deep Sea 3D's visuals and the immersion experience the IMAX format provides. See it for the experience. It is like nothing you've experienced before, the narration really is only a minor annoyance.

DVD Is Not In 3-D, But It Still Looks Good

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 July 2007

This is a review of the DVD which, unfortunately, is not in 3D so I am unable to rave about those "effects" as others have here, and was unable to enjoy the film as much as others did at the IMAX theaters.

However, I am not complaining. I still thought the photography was amazing and the colors just spectacular. I've never seen underwater footage this good. This also is the first time I've actually heard the sounds that some of these marine creatures make. I just presumed, like many others, there was mostly silence underneath the surface. That's not so; there are some amazing sounds.

More so, there are some amazing creatures that most of us have never heard about or seen. Some of them are downright weird-looking, repulsive yet fascinating. They are so strange you think you're looking at some animated film with cartoon characters.....but these creatures are real. Some of them are frightening and brutal killers.

I've read complaints about the narration by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, and have to agree on a couple points. Winslet does make an attempt to put some reflection in her voice but Depp sounds like he's sleepwalking through this. His voice is flat, a monotone, and it sounds like he's reading the material for the first time. Neither of these two add much life to his documentary.

Others complain that it's just under 40 minutes and thus, the DVD overpriced. Well, not having compared it to the IMAX 3-D experience, I found it very interesting and stunning to view. I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection because this is something I would watch multiple times.

Great Experience

Author: imdb-4150 from United States
14 April 2006

This was a great movie experience. A major part of this was the 3D effect.

My children were frequently reaching out in front of them. To be honest I wanted to do so as well.

The visuals would be great even if they were not in 3d.

There was a lot of good information on the biology of the ocean.

Most of the film consisted of one creature eating another. My four year old seemed to be OK with it though.

A nit: At times there was bleed-through on the polarized 3d glasses. I don't know if that was due to the glasses or a general side-effect.

Excellent, but not perfect.

Author: Toren G. Atkinson ( from Vancouver BC Canada
23 March 2006

If cavemen were thawed out from a block of ice and saw a program on a TV, they would look at each other and say (in their cavemen tongue) "that's magic!" If the same cavemen were at a screening of Deep Sea 3D at the IMAX theater they would rip out their own eyes and try to beat each other to death with them because it is dark dark magic that will grab you by your very soul. I had been waiting a long time to see the sights in this film and I was not disappointed. But the keyword here is "sights." Although this film definitely merits a 9 out of 10, there were a few small things that kept it from hitting that "10/10" mark.

I have no problem with Johnny Depp or Kate Winslet, or their voices. However, the back and forth narration with them basically finishing one another's sentences was distracting.

I can understand why they added their own sound effects to "enhance" the movie, but it got a little over-the-top at times, and I think if one wasn't particularly perceptive they might not realize that what they were hearing was essentially special effects added to a nature documentary. Now don't tell me "well 3D is a special effect too but you're not complaining about that!" The difference is, they are up front about the 3D effect. Simply adding a disclaimer at the beginning of the film to the effect of "some audio effects have been added" would have been a nice gesture.

I know IMAX films are expensive to produce, and I guess it could be interpreted as a compliment when one comes out of a movie saying "I wish there were more," but it really was too short. As long as you know when you're shelling out your $11.50 that you're only getting 45 minutes, you'll be okay. (Really, for me, the bits with the Humboldt squid and the Pacific octopus made it money well spent) So apart from these minor annoyances, Deep Sea 3D is definitely something you should treat yourself to in the theaters while you can! Hopefully in a couple of years they'll have the expertise to give us a 3D IMAX film about the weird and grotesque sea creatures in the abyss!

Author: polly-pecc from United Kingdom
18 November 2006

This is great viewing. The images are stunning. Breath-taking! The film really is about the weird and grotesque sea creatures in the abyss. The information given really teaches you something. I never knew the oceans could be so full of life. There's so much down there and not all of it's been discovered yet! There's so much to learn. Plus Johnny Depp's narration is an added bonus! Mmmm... dreamy! But seriously, its definitely worthwhile, very entertaining and educational all at the same time. I was surprised at how close the camera got to the creatures. IMAX have really made a great job of this spectacular nature documentary, shown as a film. I definitely suggest you give it a go!

"What's that?!?" "It's called a proboscis."

Author: Dan Harkless from United States
7 December 2007

Like others, I had very high hopes when I heard that Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet would be narrating this IMAX film, and that Danny Elfman would be doing the score. However, I was quite disappointed in those elements that attracted my attention to the movie.

The style of Winslet and Depp's narration might be fine for kids, I suppose, but I found it very irritating. Perhaps I'm brainwashed by decades of authoritative-sounding old men with big voices narrating nature documentaries, but I don't think that's all it is. The narration style here is just silly. And not in a good way (although the way Winslet and Depp voiced the exchange I used as the title of my review did provoke plenty of unintentional(?) laughter, and my girlfriend and I still quote the lines occasionally).

Danny Elfman's score, while not outright bad like the narration, did strike me as overwrought and corny (again, I suppose it's fine if viewed as intended only for young children).

And as another reviewer has also noted, the foley was really over the top in this documentary. The fake squealing vocalizations of the sea creatures was particularly irksome and inappropriate.

The film is still worth watching for the amazing underwater footage, but shots intended to be seen in IMAX 3D don't have the same overwhelming impact on the TV screen.

Compelling material shown in superb 3-D.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
1 April 2007

Narrated by Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.

This film is really amazing, and not just because of the 3-D. The underwater cinematography was absolutely brilliant. This Imax movie shows many odd creatures and the way they live. The 3-D in this thing is really amazing. The fish look like their right in front of your face and normal size. And the great thing about this film is that even without the 3-D, it's still an excellent documentary on the fascinating life found in the sea. The narration was really interestingly written and performed (with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet switching off). The sound effects were great and the wonderful musical score from Danny Elfman fit so well. If you want to see life underwater without actually getting near the creatures, this is about the closest you will come.

My rating: **** out of ****. 50 mins.