The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D
Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Terrible.

Author: Naruto from Australia
17 July 2014

This is the most predictable, cheesy, stupid movie (if you can even call it a movie) EVER! You can tell it would be the worst movie ever from the first minute. The animation is awful and there are no physics whatsoever. Like when Mr. Electric (evil guy) goes into the water he doesn't short circuit. And what the heck is a "dream diary"! Even a year 2 would be mature enough not to even think about one or say "oh i keep all my dreams in here so I can make it true". And this guy is apparently a year 4! And of course the robot the "Dream guy" makes wouldn't work. But what happens? It works. Robot's can't have feelings and aren't made out of tin cans. And the movie is like what, 1 hour and a half?! Overall I don't recommend anyone in the world to watch it. It is a waste of time.

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D (2005)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
5 January 2012

This was truly terrible. It's nice that Rodriguez wants to make films for kids based on the dreams of his son, but that's no excuse for such a sloppy, annoying film. It's bright and obnoxious, constantly being in your face, even when viewed in 2-D. The effects are some of the worst around, and because the film fails to draw us into its imagination, they really do stand out. The performances are mostly embarrassing. But this leads to the one highlight, seeing Taylor Lautner singing and dancing, in an uncomfortably awkward scene. This film was finished very quickly, and it's not surprising. There's nothing to recommend it on unless you like bright things.

Alright, certainly better than "Spy-Kids 3-D"

Author: I_Love_Spielberg from United States
25 May 2009

"The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D" is a Robert Rodriguez-directed film about a boy who's imagination comes to life and his friends, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, help him try to defeat this evil that is ruling the world that Sharkboy and Lavagirl live in.

This wasn't too bad. I'll certainly say that it's better than the third "Spy-Kids." However, the story still lacking a bit. But that's to be expected seeing as it's directed towards kids, not to say that they don't have a clue of what's going on, but it's still directed toward the ones who don't have to think too hard about what's going on. They can just watch a movie that is great entertainment. I sometimes wonder how Rodriguez and his own kid, who did help out with the story, come up with this stuff. It's amazing. Plus, it shows how much Robert Rodriguez loves his son, in that he made this movie for him.

Still, if you have children of your own, see it with them. They'll enjoy it.

crap

Author: joshua-halstead from United States
22 June 2008

this film was crap. it has no plot. and guess what its Robert Rodriguez. spy kids and now this, i feel bad for the guy. the film is about a guy that was raised by sharks and a girl that grew up by lava with super abilities taking a normal kid to fight some evil guy played by George Lopez. this is the stupidest movie ever. i know i've said that a lot of movies have pointless action but this movie not only has pointless action but also was made to be cool to watch because it's 3-d. there is not one good movie by Robert Rodriguez. this film makes spy kids look good. if you have read my reviews on spy kids you'll see how bad it makes this movie. i think George Lopez just ruined any chance of being taken serious again. this film only got o stars out of 10 which means it's horrible.

Hardly devoid of charm

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
7 June 2008

As much as this is an indulgence, it is at least not the man himself, but his offspring and their dreams(as stated in the very opening credits, removing any possible doubt as to that being the case or not). Whether or not such a thing can be made into something amazing, that is not the case here. Few will contest that. But looking further, this does have some merit. By no means the greatest writer, Rodriguez does have both creativity and a well-developed imagination. He lets them roam free in large parts of this, and actually comes up with a clever thing or two, amongst that which… isn't. Some of the humor is childish, and certain gags are repeated somewhat ad naseum. Downright cringe-inducing does it become when a character actually follows up his quip, painful enough already, with an explanation of the double meaning. And that even happens more than once. The puns most definitely could have been, well, done without entirely, in an awful lot of cases. Characters are terribly flat and one-note… fleshing out never has been Robert's strong suit. Designs aren't half bad. The CGI could be better, if worse has been seen. The action is invariably quite entertaining, the fighting in particular. The acting varies, with a larger portion only reaching "passable". Like the first Spy Kids(I haven't watched the others), this has a moral to it, if a relatively naive one, and the content is perfectly acceptable to show even to the youngest family members. Everything is fairly simplified herein. I recommend this to fans of Robert Rodriguez, and/or those fond of comic books, a style captured rather skilfully here. 5/10

It was alright but not great

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 December 2007

A little while back, I brought this movie because I was bored and I wanted something new to watch. I saw this at the store and I brought it. I wish that I had rented it instead. This was a low-budget movie that does not have brand name actors, the plot revolves around a boy with shark features and a girl with lava powers, and the main idea for this movie came from a 7-year-old kid. The acting was OK, the plot was very basic, the script was not really good, and the score was kind of creepy. Also, the 3D was not the best 3D I have seen. In fact, it is not really realistic. This is not a film you should brag about seeing. I would rather see a movie like Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings. But hey, this is only my opinion. I rate this a 5/10.

Sorry Mr. Robert Rodriguez, but this not the stuff dreams are made of.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
6 June 2007

My Take: Despite good intentions, this dizzying 3-D flick is too juvenile for anyone above 10.

For starters, "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" sounds like a good idea. It shows us what happens and revolves around our dreams. Simply, this idea sounds terrific, and the fact that director Robert Rodriguez's son thought up the story sounds the more interesting. But the final execution, when finally brought to film, is really disappointing. Too much 3-D, and not much story. I guess you know where this is going.

It sounds interesting to see what dreams are made of, but is seriously disappointing when finally brought to the screen, as none other than a parade of effects. Sadly to say, sorry Mr. Robert Rodriguez, but this is not what dreams are, and supposed to be. Hollywood must learn by now that CGI doesn't amount to everything. What starts out nice, once again goes horribly wrong.

Another thing, this movie is a family film alright, but only kids will truly appreciate this one. If scaled, perhaps only 5% of the 100% of the film will be entertaining to the adults.

Overall, leave it to the kids to watch it for themselves. Adults may want to stick to Rodriguez's adult works. Ones that don't ruin a good, fresh story by putting it on murky 3-D.

Rating: ** out of 5.

Sharkboy and Lavagirl stink it up

Author: view_and_review from California
12 February 2007

I don't know how, but this movie failed to be at least decent. Most kids movies, even the weaker ones, are at least OK. This wasn't even OK. The story was very bad, the acting was very bad, and they should have watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" to see how to mix real people with animation. I could gather from the story that it was a page out of "The Never Ending Story" in that the boy's dreams had a direct effect on the world of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. I could also gather that the boy, as well as the writer and director of this heap, had no imagination. Maybe it was a low budget film or just an artistic way of doing something that so many other films successfully did before, but the production was horrible. Fortunately it was for kids, because kids are the only minds they could lay this on and get away with it.

Really bad

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
24 September 2006

Robert Rodriguez doesn't have luck on 3-D films.His first 3-D film was Spy kids 3-D,a boring movie.His second 3-D film is The adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D which is really bad and way worse than Spy kids 3-D.This movie might be enjoyed by little children but the rest of the people will be pretty bored,something completely different from Spy kids 1 and 2(both directed by Rodriguez)which can be enjoyed by all the family.The 3-D effect is simply pathetic and worse than Spy kids 3-D which has a very mediocre 3-D effect.The adventures of Sharboy and Lavagirl 3-D is a boring film which I don't recommend.If you wanna see a great movie which all family can enjoy,you should watch Spy kids 1 or Spy kids 2.

Bad Bad Bad

Author: soccerdragon128 from United States
15 August 2006

I have no idea why anybody would think this piece of trash is good. Maybe for the kids its good, but definitely not for the adults. If you are over the age of 7, I would not recommend this terrible movie to you. All the adults in this movie should have been nominated for Razzie because their acting was even worse then the kids. All the kid's performances were not that bad except for Jacob Davich's. His acting was bad bad bad. He was a lot better in " the aviator " which he was in for like 5 minutes altogether. The plot was junk. "Planet drool"! Come on! The acting, I already mention was bad for the most part. Action was cheesy, and special effects. BOOOOO!!!!