The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D
Page 6 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Sparking your Imagination: Sharkboy and Lavagirl

Author: runningice_4eva from United Kingdom
27 August 2005

Well, after seeing this film with my younger sister, the only really word that strikes my mind is "original". This movie, although very interesting and original in its own way, reminded me a lot of "The Never Ending Story".

I'm not going to go to "slay" this movie, fair to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as other Rodrigeuz films. But the reason for that is plain and simple...it-is-a-kids-film. The film's story was thought up by Rodrigeuz's seven year old son, Racer. And in those terms the story is very fitting for children of around that age group. My 10 year old sister loved it! And I'm sure many people here would agree that it was a "poor" film, or a "bland" film or a "Rodrigeuz's weakest" film. But simply, the vast majority of every member on this website is above the age required to enjoy this film! It sparked my sisters imagination, and my cousins. So, from a 16 year olds point of view, I'd give this a 5/10. From a child's point of view, I'll give it a 9/10. I'd seriously recommend this film to children below the age of 13, for it was intended for that age range. However, the 3D "gimmick" doesn't really live up to expectation, and it makes the colours of the film very two-tonal (red and green) and I think that the film would be much better if it was just simple 2D. The film is very cheesy, but it's message is received loud and clear and adds a certain "feel good" factor to the movie. To adults that factor may be "thank god its over", to children, it'll be so much more awe inspiring and imaginative! Your kids will most likely start keeping dream journals and invent characters of a similar calibre to Lavagirl and Sharkboy! A film that re-defines imagination as being something that should be open, outspoken and above all cherished. Something that is becoming increasingly rare with children, due to the steady rise of "video games", "TV shows" and "Films",

Extremely uneven, literally dark!

Author: ga1st from United States
1 August 2005

My 5-year-old son enjoyed this, although he refused to wear the 3D glasses. I enjoyed parts of it, but the plot needed tightening and the Planet Drool truly needed more light. As for the acting: only Linus/Minus really did any that was worth watching; I feel that the actor who played Max was badly miscast, earning more pity than empathy. As for the two Taylors: Shark Boy came across as sulky rather than macho, and Lava Girl reminded me of a badly shot commercial for some kind of off-brand doll. The parents were useless and their scenes bogged down what action there was; George Lopez had some good moments, struggling to emerge from those that were merely tiresome. It is a pity that this film was so poorly realised, because the story itself was fascinating and, in the right hands, would have been amazing.

BEST Movie EVER!

Author: We will, we will ROCK YOU!!!
21 July 2014

For your information, haters, this is the best movie the whole planet will ever see. The roller coaster part was kinda scary, which is probably why so many people decided to be inconsiderate, stupid, thoughtless, and retarded enough to give this a 1/10 when it should get a 10/10. The roller coaster part was still pretty funny. My favorite part was the Land of Milk and Cookies, which a 10/10 would be generous to give this movie after seeing this part. Also, the Land of Ice part was pretty funny, as well, so a 9/10 or 10/10 would be something to give this movie after seeing this part. So overall, you should all give it a 9/10 or a 10/10. But seriously guys, a THREE POINT FREAKING FOUR OUT OF 10?! That's just heartless of you haters...

Good for its intended audience

Author: Ted from Ottawa, Canada
25 March 2006

My 4 year old son loves this movie. It's on the "On-demand" movie channel here and he watches it at least twice a day.

I've seen 80% of it and it's harmless fun (for kids his age certainly).

There are lots of imaginative things in there (like the extension cord/wire dogs). And the storyline is fine too. I agree with the person who compared it to The Neverending Story. It was very strange and "silly" when it came out, but now it's a children's classic (even parodied in Family Guy!)

While it's not as good as Spy Kids 1 or 2, it's on the same level as Spy Kids 3. This move is not bad at all.

Limp, bizarre kiddie fare

Author: jantoniou from California
22 November 2005

Sequestered away on his Austin, TX ranch, much like George Lucas on Skywalker Ranch and ILM in the Nicasio Valley of California and Peter Jackson's digital wizards at Weta Digital in New Zealand, Robert Rodriguez has seemingly created for himself a haven to explore not only his own creative juices, but also whatever creative whims seem to be floating through the minds of his children.

Have you ever had a small child tell you a story? It usually goes something like "And then... blah blah blah... and then... blah blah blah... and then..." In other words, it rambles ceaselessly with no apparent meaningful beginning or end. This movie is just such an example--and an object lesson that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, no matter all the nifty gadgetry you have on your ranch.

In short, that is "Sharkboy and Lava Girl"--coupled with some reigning in by dad who didn't want an otherwise nonsensical story about "dreams" or "the power of dreams" or "dreamers" (or whatever it's about) to wander off too far from a movie's standard three-act set. He squeezed his kid's dreams reluctantly into the movie mold.

"Acted" by three kids 99% against green screen, the CG is laid on thick and unimaginatively. This is CG for the sake of CG, because it's way cheaper to pay 10 mouse jockeys $50K a year in Texas then it is to build millions of dollars worth of sets.

The movie starts actually with decent potential, but the story and plot meanders after Max arrives on his dreamt "Planet Drool," when the CG is put on like a garish suit. Max ultimately discovers his "true power" and becomes a "day dreamer" and ferrets out the true identify of his dreamt Shark Boy and Lava Girl. This is all accompanied by a mystical synth. track that reminds us which certain moments are epiphanies.

"Shark Boy" is a spiky-haired ADD case with WAY too much hair gel and kick-butt karate moves and flips (yes, the "actor" is a black belt Karate champ) and "Lava Girl" is an uber-cute misfit who is too hot to handle. Lava Girl does a lot of very wide smiles directly into the camera to remind you how cute she is. In other words, there's more ham on the set then there is for Christmas Dinner.

Truly designed for kids who could care less about niggling details like plot, story, structure, and dialog, your wee ones will appreciate the surreal story line and bizarre graphics. My daughter LOVES the movie which may be a clear indication that I've somehow failed to raise her properly.

I wouldn't have thought there was enough cocaine in LA to get studio execs stoned enough to think this was acceptable

Author: bopdog from Great Pacific Northwest
1 September 2005

Remembering 'Spy Kids', by the same director, I trooped myself off to the theater to see 'The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl'. The movie had several surprises in store for me--- but mostly, I was surprised, shocked, actually, at how god-awful the film quality was. Portions of the movie were regular, with vivid, clear colors and image quality. But most of the movie is in '3-D'. That effect was sooooo awful, it makes me genuinely puzzled as to how this decision could have been made. 3-D might have worked, sort of, but this particular version of it was horrible!

Forgetting the thematic and artsy aspects for a moment--- I would have thought there couldn't be enough cocaine in LA to get people stoned enough to think this looked good. It was a pussy-green, and washed-out gray. The 3-D qualities were so bad that 80% of the time the 3-D was on-screen, the effect simply didn't work.

The movie could have been charming a great fun for the family. Here's hoping the studio execs come to their senses, and re-do this mess in something 'normal', colorful, and watchable.

not totally bad , but not totally great

Author: hcalderon1 from United States
7 August 2005

I liked Spy Kids better than this movie. I just liked this movie for its action, and the amazing effects. But other than that this movie was a total drag, for its unfunny jokes, and its really lame acting. Don't get me wrong this was a good idea, it should have been better in those spots. This movie tried to be appealing as Spy Kids, but it gets an effort for trying. The movie starts out with Max, an 11 year old. He is picked on a lot, because he tells the stories of Sharkboy and Lavagirl, who everybody says they don't exist. But Max believes they do. Until one day Sharkboy and Lavagirl ask for help. Is it real, or is it his imagination?

Not for adults!

Author: johnnyvic from United States
5 August 2005

This movie is not one that would interest the average adult. I would recommend it for kids, especially boys. The dialog is a little confusing, especially for younger children. There is way too many special effects for adult enjoyment and the 3D glasses makes the screen darker and sometimes difficult to see around the shadows.

A good adventure for kids.The character's terms used in the dialog may be difficult for younger children to understand. The sound was a little too loud, at least in the theater we attended. The storyline was silly but kids will probably not pay attention to it. So take the kids to see this movie but expect boredom (For the adults) after awhile.

The kids will like it!

Author: deardra_2 from United States
10 June 2005

We just got home from viewing this movie and it was pretty good. You have to go into this movie knowing it is made for the younger kids and the subjects dealt with are very important to these children. The awkward age of wanting to still believe in your dreams and accepting reality is a hard time for children. Throw in some bullying, parents having issues and lacking self-confidence and you pretty much have what is happening to today's pre-teens. Learning to believe in yourself and stand up for what you believe in is such an important lesson. The messages are delivered in a fun way that the children will easily take in and gives the parents an understanding of just how much stress a child is feeling. Adults may be a little bored with it (although I found it cute), but a movie theater full of children having the time of their lives should tell you something.

Cheesy, derivative and no fun for kids

Author: tkincaid from United States
20 June 2005

Saw a preview showing of this and the best thing my 8-year-old could say was "cheesy." The acting is terrible, the 3-D wasted, and the script - oh boy! While it may have been written by a child, it's clear a grown-up made it more "childlike" - i.e. stupid! There are scenes no kids should see (two parents arguing in front of a child, and criticizing each other to the child), and other scenes that make no sense whatsoever (the giants and the cookies?!). In addition, the 3-d is a complete waste of time. It is used for spitting and sneezing, but not much else - and since it is in gray-tones, a lot of the magic is lost.

May be fine for little kids, but don't waste your time!