The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D
Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Why such a terrible rating?!

Author: Yo-Momma-So-Cool
18 July 2014

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is the best movie that the whole wide world can ever watch. It never deserved a 3.4/10! What the heck were all those haters thinking hating on this movie that's better than any movie?! I think hey should give it an 8/10 to maybe even a 9.5/10 instead of that horrible rating it was given! This movie is so very, very,very good, you should all be giving that South Park piece of crap a 3.4/10! It doesn't even deserve a 8.9/10, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl should get that rating! All of you need to start teaming up and start giving this movie a 10/10 to help me get this movie a higher rating!

Alright, certainly better than "Spy-Kids 3-D"

Author: I_Love_Spielberg from United States
25 May 2009

"The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D" is a Robert Rodriguez-directed film about a boy who's imagination comes to life and his friends, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, help him try to defeat this evil that is ruling the world that Sharkboy and Lavagirl live in.

This wasn't too bad. I'll certainly say that it's better than the third "Spy-Kids." However, the story still lacking a bit. But that's to be expected seeing as it's directed towards kids, not to say that they don't have a clue of what's going on, but it's still directed toward the ones who don't have to think too hard about what's going on. They can just watch a movie that is great entertainment. I sometimes wonder how Rodriguez and his own kid, who did help out with the story, come up with this stuff. It's amazing. Plus, it shows how much Robert Rodriguez loves his son, in that he made this movie for him.

Still, if you have children of your own, see it with them. They'll enjoy it.

crap

Author: joshua-halstead from United States
22 June 2008

this film was crap. it has no plot. and guess what its Robert Rodriguez. spy kids and now this, i feel bad for the guy. the film is about a guy that was raised by sharks and a girl that grew up by lava with super abilities taking a normal kid to fight some evil guy played by George Lopez. this is the stupidest movie ever. i know i've said that a lot of movies have pointless action but this movie not only has pointless action but also was made to be cool to watch because it's 3-d. there is not one good movie by Robert Rodriguez. this film makes spy kids look good. if you have read my reviews on spy kids you'll see how bad it makes this movie. i think George Lopez just ruined any chance of being taken serious again. this film only got o stars out of 10 which means it's horrible.

It was alright but not great

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 December 2007

A little while back, I brought this movie because I was bored and I wanted something new to watch. I saw this at the store and I brought it. I wish that I had rented it instead. This was a low-budget movie that does not have brand name actors, the plot revolves around a boy with shark features and a girl with lava powers, and the main idea for this movie came from a 7-year-old kid. The acting was OK, the plot was very basic, the script was not really good, and the score was kind of creepy. Also, the 3D was not the best 3D I have seen. In fact, it is not really realistic. This is not a film you should brag about seeing. I would rather see a movie like Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings. But hey, this is only my opinion. I rate this a 5/10.

Sorry Mr. Robert Rodriguez, but this not the stuff dreams are made of.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
6 June 2007

My Take: Despite good intentions, this dizzying 3-D flick is too juvenile for anyone above 10.

For starters, "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" sounds like a good idea. It shows us what happens and revolves around our dreams. Simply, this idea sounds terrific, and the fact that director Robert Rodriguez's son thought up the story sounds the more interesting. But the final execution, when finally brought to film, is really disappointing. Too much 3-D, and not much story. I guess you know where this is going.

It sounds interesting to see what dreams are made of, but is seriously disappointing when finally brought to the screen, as none other than a parade of effects. Sadly to say, sorry Mr. Robert Rodriguez, but this is not what dreams are, and supposed to be. Hollywood must learn by now that CGI doesn't amount to everything. What starts out nice, once again goes horribly wrong.

Another thing, this movie is a family film alright, but only kids will truly appreciate this one. If scaled, perhaps only 5% of the 100% of the film will be entertaining to the adults.

Overall, leave it to the kids to watch it for themselves. Adults may want to stick to Rodriguez's adult works. Ones that don't ruin a good, fresh story by putting it on murky 3-D.

Rating: ** out of 5.

This Is Just A Rip-Off of The Neverending Story, And It's TERRIBLE!

Author: FiendishDramaturgy from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
23 March 2007

This uses color and glitz in place of story, character development, and heart, and falls flat on its face in the process.

There is a story here, but it's lost among the detritus of cheesy effects, bad CGI, and some pretty bad Spam performances by three underage over-actors. If THIS is what Robert Rodriguez had in mind, I mean...if he did this on PURPOSE, I fear for Sin City 2 & 3, as he is producing, writing, and directing those, as well.

But back to this trash.

The characters have been poorly recreated, the setting is a planet, rather than a realm, and there is no Queen. The Nothing is replaced by the Darkness, and Atreyu/Bastian is now Max, whose adventure means nothing in the greater scheme of things, in place of the great quest of honor in search of truth, nobility, and self of Atreyu's tale.

Also, some of this, like the Land of Milk and Cookies, felt more like Wonka's Chocolate Factory...or rather, a horrible disgusting CGI mess of it.

Did I mention that this absolutely stinks? It rates nothing for effects, nothing for story, nothing for acting, nothing for direction, nothing for concept.

I guess that means it's a 0.0/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Sharkboy and Lavagirl stink it up

Author: view_and_review from California
12 February 2007

I don't know how, but this movie failed to be at least decent. Most kids movies, even the weaker ones, are at least OK. This wasn't even OK. The story was very bad, the acting was very bad, and they should have watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" to see how to mix real people with animation. I could gather from the story that it was a page out of "The Never Ending Story" in that the boy's dreams had a direct effect on the world of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. I could also gather that the boy, as well as the writer and director of this heap, had no imagination. Maybe it was a low budget film or just an artistic way of doing something that so many other films successfully did before, but the production was horrible. Fortunately it was for kids, because kids are the only minds they could lay this on and get away with it.

Really bad

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
24 September 2006

Robert Rodriguez doesn't have luck on 3-D films.His first 3-D film was Spy kids 3-D,a boring movie.His second 3-D film is The adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D which is really bad and way worse than Spy kids 3-D.This movie might be enjoyed by little children but the rest of the people will be pretty bored,something completely different from Spy kids 1 and 2(both directed by Rodriguez)which can be enjoyed by all the family.The 3-D effect is simply pathetic and worse than Spy kids 3-D which has a very mediocre 3-D effect.The adventures of Sharboy and Lavagirl 3-D is a boring film which I don't recommend.If you wanna see a great movie which all family can enjoy,you should watch Spy kids 1 or Spy kids 2.

my review of shark boy and lava girl

Author: Realist2011 from United Kingdom
28 January 2006

i though this movie was absolutely awful it was so boring and very immature i was impressed by Taylor (sharkboy) hes a cool kid but the movies rubbish sorry to say i was Nealy crying it was so fake oh my god you don't understand its awful spy kids is a thousand times better ~ i mean why would you let a 7 year old write the plot come on thats so stupid oh my god its so rubbish seriously don't watch it unless you are 8 year old or younger thank god there wont be a sequel it is good for a child cause its magical and colourful and exciting but if you are over 8 its a no no i feel sorry for the parent having to sit throw this id rather eat my own heart and that saying something so i would say its not a great movie but for your child it might be thank you for giving me the chance to express my opinion and I'm sorry if my review has stopped you from watching this movie but oh well you are best warned thank you from Ryan

This is a fun movie for 8 & under kids

Author: maydupp from United States
13 January 2006

The criticisms of this movie are ridiculous. It is not made for adults. Many of the best kid's movies are also fun for adults, but this is not one of those. The acting is a little stiff, the dialog is silly, and the special effects are uneven. But young kids won't care. The story is about and for kids. My 7 year old boy and 4.5 year old girl really like it. (It would probably be to scary for under 6's to watch without a parent).

I was able to enjoy watching it with my children on a rainy Saturday morning, but mostly because of their joy at the wild visuals and weird environments.

So, if your an adult who is a fan of animation, special effects or sci-fi, please give this movie a pass.