The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D
Page 16 of 19: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not bad, if you keep it in perspective

Author: crappyemailrepository from Bronx, NY
25 July 2006

First off, remember it's a movie called "Sharkboy and Lavagirl" -- you shouldn't be expecting a serious, logically tight story. It's based on the director/writer's kid's dreams. Once you accept that dream-logic is at work, it begins to make more sense.

I wasn't expecting much from this movie; it looked, frankly, like it had been made specifically to be a McDonalds tie-in. But I found it took itself lightheartedly enough that most of the plot holes are easy enough to overlook. The acting was spotty, but not atrocious (I wasn't a fan of Max, but both Sharkboy and Lavagirl were fun, and Linus was the perfect little a**hole kid). The score was good, excepting the overly literal closing song. The CGI was only a bit better than TV series quality, but that fits in with the childhood-dream motif. What really surprised me was the impressive fight choreography, esp. where Sharkboy was concerned (and I thought the plug hounds were kind of inventive).

The weakest spot was Max's home life. I've seen parental troubles done better in plenty of kid movies. Not sure what David Arquette as thinking. The whole "You're my best friend!" scene looked like a walk-through for both of them. I found George Lopez's performance spotty as well, but that may have been a reflection of the dialog he had to work with. Yeah, the dialog was kind of stilted sometimes, but it seemed to happen in conjunction with people trying to put on airs.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there were some plot holes. Why did they tell Sharkboy to swim away from the eels when he could have gotten out of the water? Why did the ice king say the thing would work i it wouldn't? Idunno. But it was fun.

Expect nothing more or less.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
3 July 2005

I'm not surprised some of which I saw in this movie it coming from the same director of The Spy Kids movies. Agreed some of the dialog in this movie is pretty lame, but this movie is not meant to be Academy Award Winner, and it was slammed by many critics, you remember Ebert and Roper, of course you do. But I felt this movie appeals to the 10-12 year old kid in all of us. Despite the fact it was not well acted. I really loved this for its special effects, it had quite the imagination. But the 3-D part of it gave a real Eye ache. The story starts with Max, an awkward 11 year old, who is mocked by other kids, because of his story telling about his two superhero friends named Sharkboy and Lavagirl. But he becomes a big joke when he starts telling everybody they are both real. But we soon find out that they are real, and they both want his help. Like I said expect nothing more or less.

from the preteen point of view

Author: carebear546 from United States
14 June 2005

Before I saw this movie I was expecting something horrible. I saw the previews and the quotes at the bottom that said "exciting and packed with action." (or something like that) but I realized that of course they'd say that it's a preview. So I decided to do a little research on the movie and check out the reviews of the movie critics. When I read them I found that they thought it wasn't as good as the other films this director has done. I have to admit, I have never seen any other Robert Rodriguez films so I wasn't sure what to expect. With this thought in mind I went to the movie and looked for the actions that annoyed the critics so much. With this said I think that if you go into the movie with high expectations (like favorite movie potential) you might be disappointed but if you go in with low expectations then you actually might like the movie more than you thought you would. It's a pretty OK-ish movie so give it a chance.

Why such a terrible rating?!

Author: Yo-Momma-So-Cool
18 July 2014

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is the best movie that the whole wide world can ever watch. It never deserved a 3.4/10! What the heck were all those haters thinking hating on this movie that's better than any movie?! I think hey should give it an 8/10 to maybe even a 9.5/10 instead of that horrible rating it was given! This movie is so very, very,very good, you should all be giving that South Park piece of crap a 3.4/10! It doesn't even deserve a 8.9/10, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl should get that rating! All of you need to start teaming up and start giving this movie a 10/10 to help me get this movie a higher rating!

Some people are missing the point.

Author: dave9999-1 from United Kingdom
6 December 2005

Without doubt the best film I have seen this year, even better than Fantastic Bore, and I have been a FF fan for over 30 years. Better than War of the Worlds. (Tim Robbins "hamed" it up completely.)... Why is this film so intensely Hated or Loved and so widely commented on?.(80 odd comments on this IMDb site alone, so far) Because it is SO good!. It is So, So good. It will be seen as an all time Cult classic. Without doubt.

One of those films initially with mixed reviews that later on become an all time great. That is when people understand it more fully. I went to see it twice, thoroughly enjoying the film from start to finish. Within two minutes of the film I was totally captivated by it, it had regressed me back to an age of happier times. 40 years of guilt, inhibitions and hardheartedness just vanished away, leaving the, "Child within us" as we are so widely reported to having, once more alive and kicking. A rebirth of sorts,

If I could watch this film every weekend at the movies, I would do so. Were I a lottery ticket winner I would buy a single screen cinema and consistently show this film in my town. That is how good this film is. One of my all time top 10 films. I can feel it!. Just, "Let go" and you might to.

It was awesome had good Effects in it....I'd watch it again!

Author: MonkeyLuvsNKOTB5 from United Kingdom
1 December 2005

I thought it was awesome they need too make another one.They had a good plot line to it.Great acting it was funny.My Dad even liked it.He wants it now....(He's a little crazy)Nah I'm kidding ;-) watch it it's kool!The best one I've seen in a while 'cept for HP4 ^__^ I love Taylor Laughtner He's a great actor too.And the way it ended(I'm not telling ya!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!)It was great.....I knew who the evil dude was....To obvious.....But It was still good.My favourite character...SHARKBOY duh!?!?I mean come on no competition!Well other than LavaGirl ^__^About a week after I first saw it I went to my Mum's house(sry 'bout th "U" thing it's kind of a British trait)And then she wanted to see it to so we went and seen it....So I've watched it about 3 times already....Oh and might I add My stupid Brother would not shut-up the 3 time we watched it...Wouldn't be quite,be still,or anything so I barely heard a single thing that was said!He gets on my nerves sometimes U know?!Anyways I agree with the other's who've posted and said the need to make a 2nd one....They really do. Well I hope you watch it and Hope you all like it. Oh!Also Have a very Happy Christmas! Jayden N.M.Kenzington

Good but bad 3D

Author: redsoxfreak01 from Canada
1 October 2005

This was a pretty good movie, but the 3D graphics weren't the greatest. I suggest that you watch the normal disc instead of the 3D one. The 3D just makes it blurry, even with the glasses on. The movie is a little confusing, but worth watching. It has good humor and a decent plot line. It is pretty appropriate, but Mr. Electric (a bad guy) may be frightening to younger viewers, and Sharkboy's 'Shark Frenzy's may be frightening as well, as his teeth grow pointed at he appears to lose control of himself. Sharkboy also calls Max "little bleep". The movie's overall message is good as it tells children to dream, but it also makes it seem like all of your dreams will come which may disappoint some kids. For a full review on plot content go to pluggedinonline.com and search for The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3D. I would recommend watching this movie because overall it is entertaining, but mostly for children. The adult I watched it with found it boring and uninteresting, but the children I watched it with really enjoyed it. It has memorable lines and a memorable plot, and is quite original, not the same plot that has been used over and over again. I would say watch this movie, especially if you have kids. NOTE: This movie is based on a true person's dreams, so that is a good lesson for children as well.

Same idea as Neverending Story with elements of Wizard of OZ

Author: Fernando Piquero from Venezuela
7 September 2005

OK, maybe this is not one of the best movies of Robert Rodriguez but even so is a good kid movie. I think the 3D animation didn't work very well at moments because it shows colors a little distorted. However I consider the script OK. It reminded me of "Wizard of Oz" mixed with "Neverending story". I enjoyed this movie a lot. I hope there will be a 2D extended release for DVD market. I'm sure this will work much better. Your kids will going to have a lot of fun and time will convert this movie into a cult movie. Maybe most of the negative critics about this movie come from the fact that it was released the same year as "Sin City" which is definitely the Robert Rodriguez masterpiece so far.

GReAT MOVIeeee~~~!!!

Author: arlenedayj from Canada
14 August 2005

Okay so some of you dumb dumbs don't have an imagination because your parents or your teacher beat it out of you. That's too bad. For the rest of us who understand that there is nothing wrong with this picture and who enjoyed it because we did not take it as seriously as, you wanna be bad critics, keep dreaming and imagining.

If you want to see a great movie with really cool 3D effects The adventures of SharkBoy and LavaGirl deliver!!

This movie was exactly what a fantasy movie is supposed to be!! With over-the-top imagination and over -the-top 3D.

Well done Racer and your dad did a great job also!!

For everyone who does not take life too seriously and still dreams, with a head full of imagination for good healthy fantasy, never stop!!!

See you at the movies hopefully for The Adventures of SharkBoy and LavaGirl 2.

Life is what you dream!!!!! Life is what you imagine!!!!

Fun 3D family movie with inventive 3D dream sequences...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
26 June 2005

7 out of 10, 1st watched 6/21/05 Dir-Robert Rodriguez:

Fun 3D family movie with inventive 3D dream sequences. This is probably the best 3D movie I've watched where the 3D and non-3D blend together so well. Rodriguez does a great job of introducing the characters and keeping the story going despite similarities to Wolfgang Peterson's "Never Ending Story." The premise revolves around a family that is falling apart because the parents aren't getting along and the child is caught between real life and a dream world and very often chooses the dream world because things work out the way he wants them to as opposed to real life, where everything goes wrong. Slowly the dream world of Shark Boy and Lava Girl blends with the real world and eventually things work out for everyone. Along the way, there are inventive villains, sets, and basically just a good old fashioned fun time at the movie's. Rodriguez sure knows how to hit the chord on the family movie and connects with the adult audience as well. Keep it going Robert, you are definitely a great alternative to Disney these days.

Page 16 of 19: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]