IMDb > "Atomic Betty" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Atomic Betty" More at IMDbPro »

Awesome Space Adventure for Girls

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
29 October 2007

You know, I was shocked, surprised and flabbergasted by the negativity I had heard on the internet. I have watched (and taped) this show, and frankly I find it awesome! Also this show is on "my favorite TV series" list; if I had one that is.

I found each episode is top-notch, full of action, adventure and humor too. I have few favorites, even though it will be hard to remember which one. I really love Betty. She is totally COOL, yet very sweet. You know something, there are now 3 Bettys in my favorite TV/cartoons: Betty Boop, Betty Rubble from The Flintstones and now Atomic Betty, Galactic Guardian and Defender of the Cosmos!

So overall, I love this series despite the negativity.

For a Canadian cartoon, it's not too bad but at the same time nothing special either

Author: blbbg1 from Illinois, United States
6 March 2013

I mean it is still a pretty flawed show. The characters are a bit bland compared to those in other superhero shows like The Powerpuff Girls and My Life as a Teenage Robot which had better character development. The episodes tend to get very repetitive but compared to most Canadian cartoons, it's not that bad. Like I said, it's not a masterpiece but it isn't as bad as most people say. Looking at TV.com's reviews; a lot of people hate this show, but then again, they are self-centered jackasses who hate it just because it was made in Canada. But really it's not terrible but at the same time it's not a must-watch cartoon either. The animation is nice, the villains are kinda funny too. To those who said it's a Kim Possible/Buzz Lightyear knockoff; you guys are stupid, just because it takes place in space and features a kick-ass chick in a pink space tunic doesn't mean it's a ripoff of either shows. Yeah Betty's bracelet goes off but it's not ripping off Kim Possible and just because she's a redhead too doesn't make her a KP clone. Anyways, this show was just wrongfully bashed back in the day when it aired on Cartoon Network and I strongly disagree with these so called haters. I used to kinda like this show back when it was still airing on Cartoon Network over 8 years ago but today I just look at it as another decent cartoon that's nothing special but nothing terrible. You want a terrible cartoon, try watching Fanboy and Chum Chum on Nickelodeon, now that right there is a BAD cartoon!

Decent preteen entertainment.

Author: Dave from Ottawa from Canada
12 April 2012

This Canadian co-production manages to avoid the great pitfalls of kiddie super-spy shows, which are repetition and formulaic structure. The conquest schemes of the various (rather silly) super-villains are usually good enough to keep disbelief suspended, and the means by which Betty and company manage to thwart them are for the most part inventive and unexpected. It entertains without insulting its audience's intelligence.

The characters are cute without being excessively cloying and there are laughs thrown in, but everything is kept in suitable taste for pre-teen audiences. The production is not high budget by an means, but the sci-fi look and action animation are pretty good despite this.

I found this show to be a pleasant surprise and wound up watching it fairly often when I happened to catch it. Worth a look.

Decent

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 April 2012

I may be biased as I love animation, and I'd see anything animated regardless if it looks bad or not. Atomic Betty is a decent if unexceptional show, an example that I like but don't love. I do agree about the story lines, interesting enough they are but they don't hold much surprises and if they were 30 minutes instead of 15 they would have had less of a rushed feel. Although I like most of the characters, I've never liked Noah, finding him dumb and with a wooden nature that I find annoying. However, I do like the generally smooth quality of the animation, the cool action and the catchy theme song. The writing has moments of blandness but is humorous and charming mostly. Aside from Noah, the characters I do like, with Betty cute, Sparky adding a lot and the villains unique and entertaining particularly with Maximus. The voice acting is done with enthusiasm. All in all, a decent if slightly bland show that does deserve a chance. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Great fun

Author: Jacob Jackson from Canada
28 October 2014

To the review i read "It may not be the best cartoon out there, but Atomic Betty isn't bad.

Betty is an average fourth grader who doubles as a Galactic Guardian (that is, she defends the universe). Her crew consists of herself, the alien Sparky, and the robot X-5. Most of the humor in the show comes from the clash of personalities of the sloppy Sparky and the meticulous X-5, although the villains provide some good laughs as well.

Speaking of villains, the main villain in this show is Maximus IQ, a sinister cat who desires to destroy the universe. He is "aided" by his bumbling sidekick Minimus (who is a sort of Jekyll-and-Hyde personality). Other villains include the Chameleon (a shape-shifter) and Iciclia, queen of an ice world.

Though it may not be Kim Possible or Phineas and Ferb, Atomic Betty still provides some solid entertainment. The animation is solid and the characters are interesting enough to give it a chance."

Thats a lie its the best

Not over-the-top, but hardly poor

Author: cal-ombiacaffeine
6 February 2014

It may not be the best cartoon out there, but Atomic Betty isn't bad.

Hope you all enjoy the show

Author: Alex Peake (lxpk@empowerthyself.com) from United States
11 March 2005

Atomic Betty was produced by an awesome crew that I had the pleasure of joining at Atomic Cartoons. I worked as IT manager and Final Cut Pro editor for the first season and I had a blast. It was a roller coaster to keep pace with the raw creativity that poured out of the artists. One minute the hard drives would fill up with another hundred gigs and I'd have to shovel some more space into the artistic boiler. Next minute I'd realize there was another hundred gigs of art to edit. The finished product is something we were all very proud of.

Atomic Betty is a show I wish I could watch as a child again, but even as an adult working on it, sometimes editing the same scenes over and over again, I never got tired of it. I watched the tapes as they were laid not only to ensure there were no errors but also because the action and laughs kept me hooked all the way through.

Thanks to everyone who I worked with on Atomic Betty, and thanks to everyone who watches it today.

flashy flash animation

Author: atomius from australia
8 July 2007

Atomic Betty is a young Canadian girl who secretly fights with the Galactic Guardians to save the galaxy from such evils as Maximus IQ and other villains all bent on some crazy scheme that gets them nowhere. As usual with 'double life' cartoons, Betty must cover up this secret (more to stop Maximus blowing up Earth than an actual 'secret') and this leads the show into tricky scenarios like when Maximus discovers where Betty comes from. As with all flash cartoons, it uses a smooth and perfect form of animation but lacks a good plot, decent storyline and any real entertainment above the par you would achieve by staring at a wall. Not a BAD show as such, more bland. However it isn't that bad and is alright if there's nothing better to watch, but the plots tire after a while and the characters become a tad weary.

Pretty descent,.....BUT WHERE'S THE STORY!

Author: Onomatopoeia626
23 September 2004

I saw this show last Friday, and I guess it was pretty good. It has unique characters and villains, O.K animation and a theme song that is as catchy as can be.

However, for being the first episode/episodes ever, it lacks a story. We don't really know who Betty is or any of her friends for that matter, nor do we know how she got into this "Guardian" academy, which is another thing we don't get to know about and there's no info on the cool looking villain Maximus either, OR his goals. It seems that Cartoon Network no longer believes in story lines anymore and thinks that success to getting a show ratings is just putting a bunch of random people fighting random villains and slap a title on it, but seeing as how they somehow accomplished "Teen Titans"(Another show with a small story that doesn't make much sense.)to so much popularity I guess this is the sad truth.

Another flaw is the show being divided into two episodes in a 30 minute time-slot, everything went by WAY too fast for the first episode, it's like she has a problem, has a job to do in space, accomplishes that and BAM, she solves her daily problem and it all just ends, this kind of thing only works for shows that are based around comedy like" Dexter's Lab" and "Billy and Mandy". The show should just use the 30 minutes for one episode, that way a lot more can be done and a bit more excitement would be added.

Aside from these conclusions, I have to admit, this show has a lot of potential, it's just that AC doesn't tend to give it a good story to bring it up a notch. I give this show a 5/10.

What a complete ripoff

Author: jediforce10 from United States
26 April 2012

Some people who have watched this show have called this a Kim Possible or Totally Spies ripoff. I don't think that's the case though; Atomic Betty is nothing more than a complete ripoff of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Let's think about it shall we? In Atomic Betty it centers around a girl named Betty who is secretly part of an intergalactic organization called the Galaxy Guardians from evil such as Maximus I.Q. and other evil doers. So with her friends X-5, a robot, and an alien co-pilot named Sparky they defend the galaxy. I can count out all the simple flaws and ripoffs this show does from Buzz Lightyear. The Galaxy Guardians are nothing more than a knockoff of Space Rangers. X-5 is a complete ripoff of XR and almost acts like him. Sparky is a blatant clone of Booster with how he acts. Maximus himself is a Emperor Zurg wannabe and even has a robot army much like Zurg. Just how uncreative can you get? I expected Disney to come knocking on Cartoon Network's door with a lawsuit in their hands so they could sue them for this. So amidst this blatant ripoff, Atomic Betty tries to have its points of originality, but there's nothing the least bit original in this show at all. The plots are completely boring and very predictable. You're better off taking a nap then watching the so called adventures here. All the jokes and gags are awful and not once did I laugh at these so called jokes. I know this is meant for children, but I saw this as a kid and still didn't find it funny. Each character on this show is uninteresting to say the least and not one is the least bit memorable at all. It doesn't help though that a majority of the characters are cheap clones of other cartoon characters. The artwork and animation for the most part is okay, but sometimes the animation does get choppy. Atomic Betty may have worked as a neat little show, but it just doesn't for so many reasons. The premise is terrible, the characters are bland and generic, the jokes are terrible, and it's a ripoff of a better show you could be watching. In the near future if you want to call a person to defend the Earth from evil aliens then call up Duke Nukem or Buzz Lightyear; NOT Atomic Betty.