IMDb > Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (V) More at IMDbPro »

Some Of Our Favourite Disney Characters In CGI

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
10 August 2008

'Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas' is a nice animated film with a series of stories that feature some of our favourite Disney characters: Micky, Minnie, Daisy, Donald, Scrooge McDuck, his nephews Huey, Louie and Dewey, Goofy, his teenage son and the girlfriend. The stories follow the traditional Disney style and the only difference in presentation is that this time the animation is done with CGI rather than drawings. While it was refreshing to watch and the animation wasn't done in a bad way by any means, I still prefer they use their traditional drawing method and leave the CGI to Pixar films. I miss the Disney drawings and that's what Disney's best at. I hope they don't continue making CGI movies especially those featuring the classic characters. The film itself was fun to watch. It works as a brilliant winter holiday movie. The narration is very poetic and the songs have good lyrics. It was great to see those lovable characters we haven't seen in a long time. A nice little reunion.

Wonderful Christmas stories for the whole family. Excellent animation... hohoho!

Author: Alex M. Lehmann from Los Angeles, CA
16 November 2004

Jingle... jingle... I've waited quite a time for this one to happen and it was a logical evolution step (getting Mickey into 3D). And it worked. Disney Australia did a great job on this one and I'm really looking forward to more animation in 3D from them.

The short stories are full of beautiful animated Christmas spirit. They have a nice humor and they tell you what really is important about Christmas (well, except they don't talk about Jesus Christ).

I think this DVD will be part of our every-year-watch-it collection for Christmas times. So I really recommend buying this DVD. I think the production value is very high and that Disney has to make two more DVDs like this to earn money with this.

Hohoho everyone, have fun.

Excellent Animation

Author: DutchOompaLoompa from United States
28 November 2004

I saw a clip of this and knew from the start that this was different from the same old Mickey Christmas movies that they come out with every year knowing it will sell. This one is an exception, the animation is flawless (literally), the colors are magnificent, and the stories are solid. The special features are a for little kids, but the movie is for all ages. You would think this is a cliché, wimpy Mickey Mouse movie (quite the contrary);however, if you're looking for a landslide from boring Disney movies I would recommend this this. This is also has a hint of sarcasm in this movie which is extremely rare for a animated Disney movie. Comedy is one of the many reasons you should see this movie.

A computer animated Mickey,...I was skeptical

Author: Tom_Powers30 from Raleigh, NC
14 November 2004

Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas came out on DVD last week and I was a skeptic. Sure, Pixar and Disney have had (mostly) homeruns with their computer animated films. Sure, their are currently two computer animated films dominating the US domestic box-office,.....a death knell for traditional animation unfortunately. Still, I've enjoyed most of these films. Why not a computer animated Mickey, Donald, & Goofy? Well, why not indeed.

Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas, is a good holiday family film. It isn't too cloyingly sweet, it's probably got more in common with recent Mickey/Donald/Goofy films than with Mickey's Christmas Carol (my personal fave), but, it certainly tries and actually has good stories (it's an anthology of mostly, fluffy yule-tide tales). I liked the Pluto/ Reindeer storyline in particular. Anyway, how does a CGI Mickey look? Surprisingly good. A few years ago a company released another ,...ahem,...homage to a classic Christmas special about a certain reindeer with a red nose. It stunk and it was CGI. Not so with this movie. Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas uses computer animation well and it looks good, has a good storyline, and is overall successful and worthy to add to your collection of Disney DVD's. I certainly hope we don't just get CGI animation from Disney or other companies anymore, although, it really looks like we may,...*sigh* But, if the quality is like Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas it'll definitely soften the blow. So, warm up some Cocoa and pop this one into your DVD player over the holidays.

Cute Christmas special...

Author: Adam (refugefilms@hotmail.com) from South Carolina
9 November 2004

I rented this, watched it, and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised. Each of the stories were very good, and they each had a moral at the end.

The first one is about Daisy Duck and Minnie Mouse fighting for the spotlight at a ice skating competition, the second one was about a Christmas gone wrong at Donald Duck's house, the third about Goofy and his son Max, who is bringing his girlfriend over for a visit, and is afraid that his dad will embarrass him. The fourth one is about Donald's trouble with spreading Christmas cheer, and finally, the fourth - the best one - about a fight that is resolved between Mickey Mouse and Pluto through an intervention from Santa and a few of his wisecracking reindeer. All in all, I loved this, and I think I may add it to my Disney DVD collection! Recommended!

They'd be be better of at the Old Toons Home

Author: LBytes from Atwater, CA
16 December 2004

This isn't your father's Disney. The original Disney franchise players now reside in the Land Where Everyone is Nice, preschool toons rendered in kiddie-grade Pixarish 3D. Mickey always was a little wimpy but even Donald has been completely Dippified with the Evil Daisy Duck browbeating him at every opportunity. He was a WWII hero for chrissakes, selling War Bonds to defeat the Nazis! Goofy has become a caricature of himself and his goofiness has been choreographed to a perfect death, Huey Dewey & Louie can't stay conniving for more than 30 seconds without guilt spoiling it all, while Pluto would be better off on Animal Control's 3 Day Plan. Its not pretty, what they've done to these old Toons.

The only way to reclaim my interest after this would be Donald doing his popular 'Who's Your Daddy?' with Daisy sparking his enthusiasm. I'd like to see someone with a duckbill pull that off They could've made it an Easter egg, being ducks after all. I can give this one a 7 because kids like it. They don't know any better.

Mickey, Pluto and DONNER!

Author: Paul Turk from Florida
1 January 2005

Some complaints have been made about the computer animation, but at least these are new shorts and not just old ones thrown together with a thin story line. I liked seeing these characters animated this way. Not that this computer animation is better (or even as good) than the traditional, but having never seen these classic characters like this was interesting. The overall content is very good. The weakest story is the first one with Minnie and Daisy. The best one, by far, is the last: MICKEY'S DOGGONE Christmas. This short in itself is worth the price of the DVD. Santa's reindeer Donner steals the show in this fast, fun and very funny short.

Good stories, bad CGI

Author: imdbrwd from Marietta GA
21 November 2004

I know the 3-D/CGI worshippers will dislike my heresy, but if ever there was a place NOT to use CGI, this is it. Most of these characters have been around for almost 75 years in their hand-drawn form, and that's what made them special. There was no need to re-make our favorites into what looks like plastic McDonald's toys, and these should be stuffed back into the bag (Santa's?). I'm glad I finally found a place to rent a copy rather than buying one, and it's obvious that the rental houses agree with my assessment, as I had to check on Netflix, two Blockbusters, and one Hollywood video before I could find a lone copy at a third Blockbuster. Please Disney, don't fix what ain't broke.

Few words will be enough...

Author: Cristiano Messaad (salk) from Eskilstuna, Sweden
4 May 2005

...this "movie" discredits Disney's name by revisiting classic Disney characters into a modern world and a modern computer-graphic. I Disney has decided to ride the wave of computer-graphic based animation. Toy Story (1&2) and Monster&Co were good examples of how to use modern techniques in the context of a good starting idea although I can't help thinking that art of animation the way I knew (and loved) has been certified dead by monstrous photo-realistic productions. But this...I'd say it's almost dis-educative for the young generations. I won't comment the technical side of this poorest production but the result is an awful experience that I could not even bring to an end, watching only the first 20 minutes. More than enough. Walt would have no peace if he knew what they are proposing under his name today...

Doesn't Live Up to Predecessor

Author: macsamus-927-196606 from United States
15 December 2013

Watch Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas--it is excellent. It's animated holiday fun with heart--the Disney way! This sequel, done with Disney's new computer animation unit, has almost NO heart. I was so excited (in 2004) when I saw "Twice" was coming out, since I LOVE "Once". Absolute disappointment. Each of the stories is about selfishness! The first story involves Daisy Duck and Minnie Mouse trying to outdo each other at a skating event, which ends evenly only after Minnie is hurt in an accident. The second story is dreadful--Huey, Dewey, and Louie eat ALL of the Xmas Eve dessert BEFORE dinner, then make jokes about it at the table. They are sent to bed, where they make more jokes! Uncle Scrooge warns them not to make the mistake of ending up on the 'naughty list'--so the boys head to the North Pole with the intent of changing their names to the 'nice list'! In the process, they make a mess of the North Pole and the viewers are to feel as though the boys redeem themselves when they help clean up the fiasco THEY MADE. Next, Max gets angry because he is embarrassed about his dad, Goofy. Last, Mickey is trying to decorate his home for a Xmas party, but Pluto creates havoc during the process. Mickey ANGRILY kicks Pluto out to his doghouse IN THE SNOW, then feels guilty once Pluto runs away. Pluto ends up at the North Pole with reindeer that do not look like Disney characters. To this day, whenever Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas is on, I will lovingly watch (even though I own the DVD). If "Twice Upon" is on TV, I skip it--as you should.