IMDb > Balto III: Wings of Change (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Balto III: Wings of Change (V) More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful! Highly recommended

Author: steetboris from France
27 October 2004

This direct-to-video sequel is already out in Europe, so that's why I've already seen it. And guess what : I love it! Not only because I'm a Balto fan, but because it's a really good animated movie, especially for a DTV (and we all know that the DTV sequels are usually all but good!).

In fact, it gives a slightly different feeling compared to the original or Wolf Quest. I don't know exactly why, but this is the first time I felt that with an animated sequel...And it's really a nice thing ;) The story is one of the best points : there are a lot of things happening, perhaps even more than in the first, and everything goes quickly. There are no boring passages, although some will probably not please everyone. No magic here, the humans are back for good, all the key points of the scenario give a feeling of reality; so it is much closer to the original on that side. The characters aren't still very well drawn; in fact, it depends, sometimes they are perfectly drawn, nearly as in the first one, and sometimes much less. I would say it is common for a DTV on that side. However, the backgrounds are AWESOME. The colors are more than beautiful, and the less beautiful backgrounds are on pair with the most beautiful in the original. It's another thing that is really impressive for a DTV sequel, seeing that IMO they are as beautiful as some big animated movies like "Brother Bear" or "Spirit", and perhaps even more! As for the musics : I would say the same thing. While there are still some empty passages, the soundtrack is really, really awesome, impressive, especially near the end. It may not have the shrewd style of Horner's Balto 1 soundtrack, yet the score from Adam Berry is exceptional, and make some passages unforgettable. To give a better idea of what I overall think of the film, I would summarize that into one word : beautiful. Really, really beautiful. Beautiful scenario, beautiful musics, beautiful graphics... Some of you might be wondering if they will rent it or buy it directly. Well, I believe that this film has more than enough replay value, when Wolf Quest had nearly none; so IMO, it is definitely a must-buy for every Balto fan, and even for everyone else ;)

To summarize : A wonderful film. Definitely a must-see for Balto fans, and one of the best DTV sequels ever made to an animated movie (maybe the best with TLK 1/2). It may have some flaws, but there are so many qualities in the scenario, graphics, musics...that everyone will let through these minor problems, and enjoy the great story it offers. If you liked Wolf Quest, you have all chances to love it. If you didn't, but still liked the original Balto, believe me : it's somewhat different from WQ, so you don't have any reason to not watch it just because WQ was a disappointment. Unlike Wolf Quest, I really can't see anyone who wouldn't like it.

It washes away the shame of Balto II

Author: siderite from Romania
9 September 2005

OK, the plot is a bit cheesy and predictable. Most of all, it is so simple that it needs a secondary story to back it up, that being a love story for the goose. But it's way better than Wolf Quest and it approaches the quality of the original Balto. The animation is also better, a slight change in the way things and people are drawn is obvious.

All in all a good sequel, but enough with Balto. Leave the poor dog alone. Let us see, in the first movie he fought the lead dog and won. In the second Balto he fought a lead wolf and won. Now he takes on a plane, and he wins. Balto does rime with Rambo, doesn't it? :)

In conclusion, I would rather watch Balto I and then Balto III. Balto II is not worth watching and the third part is best connected with the first like Highlander...

Poor Ending To The Balto Sequels

Author: xWhiteFang from United Kingdom
24 August 2006

The original Balto was amazing. A much-loved favourite of mine. I also enjoyed Balto II - Wolf Quest. But then came Balto III - Wings of Change. First impressions, poor animation with computer animated elements. None of the characters had their original voices - nor did they even sound like the originals. Whoever thought up Stella the Goose should be sued. She is an unnecessary character who, in my mind, ruins the entire film. I do like Kodi, Balto's son in this film. He is given a lovely character and makes the film actually worth watching. No mention is given to Aleu though? All in all, this is a poor ending to the Balto sequels and was most probably even less popular than poor Balto was originally. An addition to a Balto fans collection but otherwise, do not waste your money.

Much better than the 2nd, but still lacking...

Author: H. Martin (~AleXa~) from Everman, TX, United States
6 March 2005

Overall, for a direct-to-video movie, this was pretty good. There actually was a coherent plot, better character writing (as compared to the 2nd one), and awesome graphics. But, I still don't feel that this movie captured the true essence of Balto.

My two biggest problems with this movie are 1) the voices. It really detracts from animated sequels when they don't use the same actors. I sit there through half the movie not really believing it's that character because I'm trying to get used to the different voice. And 2) The writers conveniently left Aleu out of the story just to better fit their plot. That makes the story even less believable to me because you know he has a daughter and she's just not there...I mean, at least give an explanation as to why she's not in the story. And yes, this is a kid's animated movie, and some may argue that I'm holding my standards too high, but one of the key elements to making a successful sequel is to make it believable--you have to feel like you're in the movie, and believe what you're seeing.

As for the actual content of the movie, the plot in this one is much better. There actually is a purpose, and while it's not as heroic or pivotal as in the first Balto, it is still important. Personally, I think it would've been a lot more interesting if Balto had been in a race and gotten hurt somewhere in the wilderness, and his son Kodiak & his daughter Aleu had to lead a team to find him and save him. I would also have put Jenna on Balto's team...I don't like that she just sits on the sidelines and delivers good advice--her character has much more potential than that. I think the solo sequences with Boris & Stella detract from the movie. It started off well because we care about Boris and like that he's found someone, but then they just go off the deep end with the song and dance number. The only song worthwhile in this movie was Jenna's song to Balto, but even then, the 'lyrics' as it were are so one-dimensional and juvenile I couldn't decide whether to laugh or scoff.

Overall, I think the ratings for this sequel are inflated because the 2nd one was such a disappointment. The big difference with this movie is that it does partially recapture the feel of the first Balto, but the characters are still severely underdeveloped and a little typecast. So while this movie is definitely watchable, there wasn't enough conflict and/or obstacles in this movie to make it interesting and further the plot along, especially considering there is no villain.

Kudos to the CG animators and directors, but next time work on better character development and PLEASE, if you can't get the same voice talents, get some with the same voice tone.

5.5 out of 10

Not that bad a sequel

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
29 August 2012

It is not as good as the first film, which I just love. But it is a notch above the second film, which I personally didn't think was that bad, just the weakest of the three. There are some things that were lacking. The animation is rather rough-around-the-edges, more in the character designs than in the backgrounds and graphics. There are some scenes also detailed in another review that do feel a little random and feel little more than filler. And I really disliked the character of Stella, she was annoying and served no real purpose to the story. However, apart from Stella's song, which I have always found ear-gratingly-bad, the songs are really quite nice especially the credits song. The soundtrack has that mysterious whimsy that fits wonderfully, and the dialogue is thought-provoking and means well. There are also improvements over Wolf Quest, there is a much more coherent story, there is more of the first movie's feel here and Kodi is a much more likable character than Aleu. Other than Stella the characters are great. The voice acting, while not as good as any of that of the first film, is decent. Sean Astin is great as Kodi, and as Balto, while not sounding entirely like Kevin Bacon, Maurice LaMarche again shows what a superb voice actor he is. Jodi Benson is appropriately sympathetic as Jenna, and Keith Carradine brings a certain gruffness to Duke. All in all, not a bad sequel if not on the same level as the original Balto. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Not great, but far superior to the second one

Author: kdnor2011 from United States
15 June 2011

I loved the first Balto movie, it wasn't a flawless film, but it had a good story, good animation, good voice acting, and a heart to it. I hated Balto 2: Wolf Quest, it had a contrived story, sub-par animation, OK voice acting at best, and was obviously just a cash grab. Now we have Balto 3: The Wings of Change, is it any good? Kinda.

First off the story is much better, no weird spiritual stuff, just a race against a bush plane, and a rescue. Also there is a subplot of Boris falling in love, but he can't fly, the subplots OK, but the movie probably could have done a better job with it. The voice actings better, Balto sounds more like he did in the first. The animation, well, it's still sub-par 2-D and awful CGI. Also there are more songs in this film, but it isn't just howling, and the songs, are actually, not that bad. There not Disney quality songs, but they were pretty descent.

Balto 3 isn't perfect, but it's far better than the second in the series, so if you want to, give it a shot, it may surprise you.

Dankto Flaw

Author: tdp5 from United States
11 February 2007

It is obvious that time has progressed from the first Balto installment yet they introduce what is supposed to be a new mode of transportation, the airplane. In the first Balto the airplane was one of the options to get the serum to Nome, but was not able to make the flight because of severe weather. Yet at least two years later, where Balto has grown up offspring, the focus of the movie is on saving the pilot who is introducing the newly assembled airplane to Nome, thats the only flaw I could find in all the movies. Although there was a dropoff from the first movie it is still the best dog movie hands down. Along with For a Few Dollars More.

Good but not great

Author: wolfentertainment from United States
5 April 2007

When I first saw Balto in 1995 I thought that this movie was very good and I still like it, so when I heard that there was a sequel coming out I thought that it would be great, turns out that it wasn't as good and now with the 3rd installment, I have to say that it's better.

It's so-so at least the animation is better and it's a hell of a lot better than the 2nd, but still it's missing something that the first one had. The first one was rated PG and the other 2 were rated G sorta to try to target it towards younger audiences but trying to keep the spirit of the first one alive, which they didn't do very well.

All in all, this one was pretty good, but still not good enough to become a classic the way the first one did, but I would recommend it.

Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!

Author: joaosantos-01821 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 December 2015

Balto again pleases us with more film fun, with memorable and charismatic characters, with beautiful scenery and well made and with an impeccable soundtrack, the story is very good and shows Balto once again doing a heroic act and one of the best things is the back of her calf which is now grown,Kodi. appears also places that appear in the first film and if you pay attention, you will find some characters from previous films, is simply amazing, this third film is very well designed, and I loved the new look of Balto, this movie I see even after growing up, recommended for those who loves the story of the hero and also for those who love fun animated films , is a great classic of Universal that I'll never forget.

Awesome

Author: baltosantos-06150 from Brazil
3 July 2015

Is a wonderful movie of my childhood, it's fun and has a lot of adventure and thrills, this film was part of my life and still does, is an excellent movie for youngsters, the film is very faithful to the old 1995, then recommend see the first film before the Balto 3, yet the film is very good and deserves to be valued, I was always in love with this film and many people dislike it, I think completely the opposite of those that hate him, the film is not nothing bad and many children would like to watch this beautiful film that for now closes the Balto franchise recommend Balto 3 for their children,It is a good movie for them