IMDb > "Epitafios" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Epitafios" More at IMDbPro »

Epitaphs on headstones

Author: jotix100 from New York
18 September 2005

This series was a surprise. Being shown now in this country by HBO Latino, it was one of the best received programs in South America last year. We watched in Argentina when it made its debut, but we couldn't resist in watching it again as HBO is running the serial. The talented Alberto Lecchi and Jorge Nisco directed with assurance and panache. "Epitafios" is perhaps one of the best things ever made of this genre. The series was written by Marcelo and Walter Slavich and it cries to be shown on American television.

"Epitafios" grabs the viewer from its powerful beginning. Viewers are advised there is a lot of gore, as the people in charge of the production don't spare anything, so beware. The story holds the viewers in suspense from the first installment to the end.

The powerful cast is wonderful. Julio Chavez, plays the former police detective that is drawn back to investigate who is the serial killer who has one of the sharpest minds and keeps eliminating people that are tied to an incident that happened a few years before. Mr. Chavez is perhaps the best excuse to watch "Epitafios". Paola Krum, Cecilia Roth, Antonio Berabent, Villanueva Cosse, Lito Cruz, are seen in supporting roles, yet everyone plays as an ensemble.

"Epitafios" will not disappoint lovers of this genre.

Excellent show--too bad it isn't more visible

Author: Craig Larson from Minneapolis
22 November 2005

I stumbled on Epitafios while browsing through my On Demand service, looking for an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Am I glad I took a chance with this intricate, twisty series. Sometimes it goes a bit too far--our serial killer has escaped one too many times to be entirely believable--but I love the characters and their interactions and the fact that no one is safe. The show shouldn't be buried on HBO-Latino. This is a show that deserves to run alongside Rome and Deadwood and other higher-profile, regular HBO series. If you haven't watched this and think that a Spanish-language series with subtitles isn't your thing, just give the first episode or two a try. I bet you'll be hooked.

Epitaphs

Author: jotix100 from New York
14 July 2009

Sometimes a sequel to a successful film, or a television series, does not have the same qualities that made the original work so exciting. One always braces for the worst case scenario when a different team decides to get involved in what others created with such care and style that the new work will suffer as a consequence.

Alas, that has not happened with the new "Epitafios 2", which was commissioned by HBO Latin division. The original creator, Alberto Lecchi, teams up with Daniel Barone, in the direction of the series. Marcelo and Walter Slavich wrote all the episodes of this magnificent presentation. Ivan Wyszogrod is also on board with a musical score that puts the viewer in the right mood to enjoy every moment. The cinematographer, Guillermo Zappino and his team photograph the action with elegance showing a Buenos Aires few of us get to know.

The basic premise of the series is a deranged serial killer with a double personality that is so evil and resourceful at the same time. We get to know who he is early on, so as far as the suspense goes, we are not surprised. What the viewer does not take into consideration is the way this person can kill again, and again, with such ease.

Behind this animal there are two of the best minds of the Buenos Aires police force, Renzo Marques, and his partner Marina Segal, the original detectives of the 2004 series. Renzo is a man that acts on impulses, but with his heart in the right place. Marina is another story. In this series she is seen under a new light with needs that are unorthodox. Both policemen will hunt the man that proves to be elusive, yet, he is so near them it takes them the whole series to figure out who he is.

Julio Chavez makes a great Renzo; he is full of life and doubts. Mr. Chavez, one of the best actors from Argentina convinces us he is the determined man he is, as well as a passionate person. The same can be said about the Marina of Cecilia Roth, another excellent example of an inspired actress who knows her character well, with all her defects and inner conflicts. Ms. Roth is perfect for her part. Leonardo Sbaraglia complete the trio of principals in a role that is a departure for him. Mr. Sbaraglia has worked in Spanish films for a while, but he clearly shows a different side of him in the serial.

Highly recommended for lovers of the crime and mystery genres.

Fantastic from the first sound of music to the last!

Author: jameszr1 from United States
7 October 2005

Understanding only English and not liking subtitles, I was hesitant to watch this series when a friend of mine said it was fantastic. I saw there were 5 shows out of 13 in the series that were available for me to watch so I figured one wouldn't be bad. I was GLUED to the television for 250 minutes as I had to watch all 5 episodes back to back. My back was sore, my butt, I had to go to the bathroom 3 times and read the subtitles. This was THE best series I've ever seen. The music was absolutely fantastic at the opening and closing. I spent an hour just finding the soundtrack of the opening which runs 1:17. I would like to know if there indeed is the entire CD. The acting is great, the plot fantastic and this series should win an academy award. It is utterly unbelievable. Congrats to HBO for showing this series. Now, I need to locate the entire 13 episodes to buy for my library.

James Cram

Epitafios is TOP NOTCH entertainment for the Spanish speaker or not.

Author: audra de falco from New York, New York
1 November 2005

I have been surprised about how little information about this miniseries is readily available on the internet, so I wanted to add my two cents. In all honesty: this series is so good that it's unreal. Each time I watch it I leave the room shaking my head and saying "wow" to myself. Even if I were only reading the subtitles and not understanding the Spanish I would still feel that this miniseries is AMAZING.

The writing and acting is superb.. I especially loved the intricately woven plot (the details of which I will not go into for fear of giving spoilers). 10/10.. a must watch!!!!

Brilliant film noir

Author: lastliberal from United States
8 December 2005

Quite by accident, I stumbled upon the first episode of a great miniseries.

Everybody smokes and nobody calls for backup. That is an apt description of Epitafios, a 13-part miniseries that showed on HBO Signature.

But it is so much more. It has to be because it is in Spanish with English subtitles. That may turn you off and, if it does, you are missing one of the best crime dramas ever. In fact, the story is so compelling that you don't even notice the fact that it is subtitled. The acting, the music, the story will grab you like no other crime drama.

I like Tom Shales of the Post's description: Epitafios" is as gripping as its murders are ghastly, a spiraling reverberant circle of horrors that keeps widening as the bodies pile up (more than two dozen killings by the time the series ends) and the killer's motives become clear, if perverse. The film breaks rules in somewhat the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho": Hardly anyone in the cast seems safe from extinction and could become the killer's next conquest at any moment. No one is safe. One of the main characters bought it the first episode - when have you ever seen that happen?

This is a series that I lost sleep to see.

After five years, Julio Chávez and Cecilia Roth return in Season 2. I will have the same anticipation for each episode as I do for True blood.

Refreshingly Unique with Flavor

Author: Robin Cook from USA
2 September 2006

I'd never heard of this until last night when I decided to rent the first two DVD's at Blockbuster. So, the user's comment about wanting to see it on DVD can have his/her wish ... a total of 5 DVD's.

I have not finished watching all of the mini series yet, but am glad for this website. After watching the 2nd episode and loving it, I feared that this was some series leaving me with some annoying cliffhanger, so now I know I can finish watching this to the ending due to this site's user comments.

Having only watched 2 episodes so far, I'm definitely hooked. Everything from casting, acting, camera angles, music, lighting, etc., is outstanding. My only ditty of negativity is regarding the few areas of subtitles that flash too quickly to read such as when translating a newspaper headline or tombstone epitaph, but, hey, I got the DVD's, so I can hit the reverse and pause (not so for viewers seeing it on HBO in real time unless they got some special cable service). On the flip side, though, at least the subtitles are in large enough lettering I can read them on my non-widescreen older & ordinary fullscreen television (I saw a trailer on a DVD for a new foreign movie the other day and the subtitle print was so tiny I gave up trying and determined I wouldn't be renting that movie).

It took me a little while at first to get familiar with the characters ... and, trying to salt my food whilst reading subtitles I tended to miss a few things, but I simply couldn't stop watching it. The introduction art and music is stylish and very well done which helped me more with the 2nd episode viewing, but I already know I can't rely on being sure if these characters are going to be in the remaining episodes since a lead character got toasted in the first episode, which makes this miniseries have more anticipated twists than one would expect ... and is refreshing. Knocking off a character like this wasn't like watching one of Stephen King's movies where he needlessly and irritatingly knocks off just about everyone you think you care about (King's downfall I think).

My local Blockbuster (hope it's okay to mention here), had a lot of good new releases this week, but no one had touched renting this miniseries, so I am going to have lots of fun viewing this weekend. The clerks at the store had no idea what this series was, but they do now, and one of them said she was going to rent it. I am glad to see my local BB is finally starting to have more TV series!

My title comment of "refreshingly unique with flavor" definitely applies. As the various actors and actresses of the cast lit up their cigarettes I felt nostalgia of days past when movies had smokers ... real people type actors and no government activistic or politically influenced campaigned censorship to alter the flavor intended. It was just WONDERFUL!!! When the first actor lit up a smoke, my jaw almost dropped! Then, my lips started to form a smile ... and then a big grin ... I loved it! I felt giddish! This made them all more real, and the episodes I've seen aren't full of staccato forensic jargon streaming out of their mouths (I have a tough time watching Bones! I'll have to wait for that on DVD to fully appreciate it.). And, it is nice as well that the language content is kept clean of cuss words ... most refreshing and pleasant (got really sick of that with Deadwood! I've not watched past the 2nd episode of that series.). Don't get me wrong, cussing is acceptable and applicable, but in Deadwood it seemed even the actors couldn't say so many of them without seeming forced and unnatural.

Perhaps my 10 rating is premature, but after reading other users comments here, I feel confident I will not be disappointed in viewing the rest of the DVD's. I recommend this for anyone wishing to view something uniquely different and refreshing with a stylish new flavor(and doesn't mind reading subtitles).

Epitafios

Author: NinaDulce from United States
16 February 2006

I got hooked on Epitafios from the get-go. English is my first language but I also speak, read and write Spanish (my parents were portenos from Buenos Aires). I read another comment complaining that although the series was filmed in Buenos Aires, the actors do not speak in the Argentine dialect. I noticed that right away, and I was a little disappointed because I enjoy hearing Argentinians speaking Spanish...the way my parents and other family members spoke. But I understand why...this series no doubt was aired throughout South America and the story line really has nothing to do with Buenos Aires or Argentina...it could be set anywhere. But I have enjoyed seeing location shots of the city (like Recoleta)...I was just in Buenos Aires this past October.

Epitafios is over the top to be sure, and melodramatic, just as are all the Spanish novelas. But there is just something fascinating about the series and I only wish that it would last longer that 13 episodes. I love the Sopranos (I was born in NYC and raised in NJ) but I think Epitafios is just as good. I can only hope that the producers of Epitafios will bring us more good stuff in the future.

NinaDulce Clearwater FL

Top of the top

Author: Bairbre from Rio de Janeiro
19 December 2005

Sometimes TV series showing serial killers get stuck in that pattern of "wham, bang!" and you know the rest. Anyway, this series had people actually thinking! I am one of the many orphans left behind when "The X-Files" ended, so I wanted something that was much more than the old pattern of catching a criminal that seems so obvious to everybody, except for the stupid police officers. "Epitafios" was not only a matter of bloody scenes (which could disturb some people sometimes), it was also having personal problems, emotions and very human characters taking part in the events. You really sympathize with the people and you really want to see the end of the story, no matter what. We don't speak Spanish here in Brasil, so I had to pay attention to the subtitles too, but who cares? With a great story like that, everything is worth the trouble.

Disastrous Plot Holes

Author: Frank Dudley Berry, Jr. (fdber@yahoo.com) from Mountain View, Ca
16 August 2008

There are some creative moments in this disaster, but they are negatived by a plot arch that contains more holes than a serving of Swiss cheese. Above all, the ramshackle story only moves forward because of some of the most feeble-minded police work you will ever see. Some examples, which are also spoilers:

In Episode 5, the villain has been thwarted in his scheduled murderous plans. Enraged, he threatens to kill someone near and dear to the detective Renzo. Now, Renzo is unmarried and childless, and lives with his widower father, a paraplegic in a wheelchair. This is his only relative - the only person who could conceivably be 'near and dear'. Does Renzo deduce his dad is the target? Ah . . . no. In fact, he doesn't even wonder about it. There is actually dialog -'who could he mean?' 'Who will be next?' Etc. Unintentionally comic, which is not where you want to be in a mystery.

But it gets worse.

By Episode 8, the police have id'd the killer. He turns out to be a patient of the psychologist who is implicated (incidentally, the dumbest psychologist in the history of drama, one who got a kid killed by persuading him to re-enter a hostage scene, because the the hostage taker was her patient and 'i will control him'. The scene of her persuading the frightened adolescent to return to the control of the hostage taker is unimaginably dumb, and repeated several times). The killer has a scheduled appointment - in an office on the second floor without an elevator. He has already murdered about seven or eight people in incredibly sadistic ways.

Do the police stake out the building? Nope. A few of them are stationed on the stairs, warned by Renzo to 'be sure'. (WHY???? Some other person may be keeping the appointment?) The killer shows up, and - of course - gets a drop on everyone, holding a knife to the psychologists's throat. He then manages to escape ON FOOT, while the terminally stupid Renzo embraces the psychologist, not bothering to call for fill and back-up units. The other police officers presumably are still waiting in the adjoining offices - because Renzo never manages to alert them to the event, even AFTER the killer has made his escape.

This goes way beyond pardonable police error or bad luck. It is moronically stupid, and converts 'Epitafios' into one of the dumbest genre shows of its type ever made.