IMDb > Surf's Up (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Wish I'd Seen it at the Theater

Author: BlackCat725 from Northeast Ohio
22 October 2007

I feel bad now that I dismissed this as "just another penguin movie" and passed it by when it was out in the summer. With all the "blockbusters" out, this one was kinda crammed in between them all.(we shoulda skipped Spidey3 for this one...) This was entertaining, funny, and the graphics were just amazing. I wanted to run out and learn to surf just from looking at the beautiful waves and beaches in this movie. I thought that voice characterizations were perfect, they made the movie. Big Lebowski/Big Z, not much difference! The "mockumentary" style was great, we particularly enjoyed the interviews with the little penguin kids. My 10-yr old son and I both were cracking up throughout the movie, there were enough laughs that appealed to both of us.

Hanging ten with the penguins; what better way to spend your summer!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 October 2007

This year we had the big summer event of movies, it just seemed like one after another they were just lining up, we had Surf's Up, which would've seemed like the perfect hit for the summer, at least animation wise. But it turned out that it wasn't that big of a hit at the box office as other films were. I did wanna see Surf's Up in the theater, but I never go the chance to go see it. Finally I at least got to see it on rental this morning and Surf's Up was a fun little animation film to watch. It had a fun story, terrific animation, and lovable characters. While I would say that the humor is somewhat more on the adult side, it has fun animation and great jokes for the kids as well which made it a good family film to watch. The story was definitely original and was so clever the way the crew decided to shoot it.

Cody is a penguin who has had a dream to be like his idol, Big Z, and be the top surfing penguin. When he goes to a paradise island to enter the big surfing contest, he discovers that unfortunately his idol was killed in a competition with the top surfing penguin, Tank. Cody befriends a chicken, Joe, who is also a surfer and is living the "high" life. But one day he sees Tank mocking Big Z's surfing board and challenges him to a surf off, but he gets wiped out, but he is brought back to health by Lani, another penguin, and her uncle, Geek, and soon Cody discovers the secrets of Big Z, but you'll have to see to find out how he does.

I just don't wanna give any spoilers, but I promise you that this film is worth your watch. Surf's Up has great comedy and beautiful animation along with some very cool voices. I loved how they shot it like it was a reality show or just interviewing before the big contest, it just made it a little more cute, I know I get easily amused, but you'll understand when you see it. Surf's Up is a quiet hit of the summer, I really enjoyed this movie and I think you will too, even if the penguins have been breaking out a little too much these past couple years.

Surf's Up is tottally wild

Author: mikethorp247 from Crosby, (east Houston) Texas, United States
2 October 2007

This movie was really good and when me and the wife took our two kids to see this I was kinda iffy on it keeping them intertained through out the whole movie but it did. It has an all star lineup in the movie also including the likes of Jeff Bridges, Jon Heder, James Woods, Shia LaBeouf, and of course my boy Kelly Slater.

I would have to say that the CGI work that Ash Brannon and Chris Buck did in the movie was perfect and I think that they should do more movies like that.

I would just like to say that if you have kids you need to take them to see this and/or even go buy it for them cause they are going to love this movie.

Surfing Penguins better than Dancing and Singing Penguins

Author: blairgallop7 from Australia
26 September 2007

Another penguin movie in the course of a year, Surf's Up literally serves up more enjoyment and style than it's penguin predecessor Happy Feet. The cast of this movie includes 2007's rising star Shia Labeouf who plays upcoming surfer Cody Maverick, veterans Jeff Bridges who plays Big Z/Geek and James Woods who voices Reggie Belafonte, Zooey Deschanel who plays Cody's love interest and Big Z's niece Lani Aliikai and Jon Heder who plays Cody's chicken buddy Chicken Joe. This movie was better than Happy Feet because it had more adventure, a better plot and more humour that it's penguin predecessor could ever have or even wish for. I would recommend this film to go and watch straight away but as for Happy Feet, I would advise to wait for that on DVD when it gets to a cheap enough price.

very entertaining movie.

Author: barrys82 from Mexico
21 September 2007

I like this movie. the documentary style the give to it was very good. It has very funny moments. The cast of voices were great . Shia LaBeouf as Cody Maverick was very good, great performance from Jeff Bridges as Big Z, James Woods as Reggie Belafonte also was awesome but the one the steals the picture was Jon Heder as Chicken Joe, this permanently stoned chicken was so hilarious and made this movie worth to see it. The animation was excellent, one of the best I've ever seen. The story about a Penguin who wants to be the greatest surfer ever was good although a little slow and predictable and the plot was well developed and convincing. And to finish one of the best things of this film was the music, the soundtrack is awesome. In conclusion, this was a very enjoyable and entertaining movie for all people, specially for kids.

Perfect for Summer

Author: Ivonz Zovko from Canada
18 September 2007

I actually liked Surf's Up - although I admit when I saw that it was about Penguins it felt redundant given the recent release of Happy Feet (which I actually didn't enjoy very much). But Surf's up is quite different from Happy Feet and there are a few main characters that are not penguins (one is a chicken and the other some kind of a skinny twitchy bird). Thus, the characters, the theme and the environment are the very different from the Happy Feet and as a result it seems, so is the targeted audience- or so it seems. Maybe it was the whole summer theme, surfing and colorful beaches that got me in the mood but even tho it's a only a cartoon, I was painfully reminded I'm way overdue for a vacation.

AT any rate, Surf's Up was entertaining, simple and enjoyable... and I think families can really enjoy this little movie- especially given the warm weather we've been having so far.

enjoyable, light-hearted flick

Author: nobbytatoes from Australia
18 September 2007

It's becoming a train of thought currently with penguins. "If I see one more penguin, I think I'm going to...". They seem to be everywhere, with movies; March of the Penguins, Happy Feet, Farce of the Penguins. Penguin overload, critical mass reached, looking to explode with Surf's Up jumping into the feathery black and white pile. While wondering what will be the next new animal to grace the screen, it's a hard blow for Surf's Up, coming so late in the penguin parade, and will easily be overlooked as low-grade family fodder. Simple fact is that Surf's Up is a beautiful family affair, with lots of heart, and gives Pixar a reminder they aren't the only ones in the game.

While a simple tale of facing life's challenges, and taking them on with a smile, and a good old laugh for measure, the lack of sap and sickly sweet gooey moments, make Surf's Up such and light an easily digested treat. Surf's Up grabs your attention more due to its venture in the Mockumentary scene; an unconventional twist for the simple kids flick. Screenwriters Lisa Addario and Christian Darren grasp this concept fully, even tackling the genre better than it's original father Christopher Guest. (Well better than his last few features). Interactions between characters and the unseen documentary crew adds an interactiveness, it feels they are talking with the audience. Shots from surf boards and inside the tubes add an actual documentary dimension. A flaw Surf's Up hits is a real punch with many of the jokes and gags. While not reaching the hysterical heights of comedy, the "smaller" laughs keep coming one after the other.

Showing why he's becoming one of the biggest star right now, Shia LaBeouf has a natural charisma and wit to engage you and keep you engaged for the films entirety. Jeff Bridges seems to tap into a more cleaned up, still stoned Lebowski. The rest of the cast never really raise to much. Jon Heder doing what he does best and James Woods becomes bit too caricature as Reggie Belafonte. Yet look for appearances by Kelly Slater and Rob Machado.

While looking like just another computer animated, family film, Surf's Up has so much more going for it. The animation is stunning, scenes inside the wave tubes are beautifully created. This is a film that will be easily forgotten, but for all the wrong reasons.

Good intentions

Author: Richard from U.S.
16 September 2007

Technically, this film is on par with the rest of the animated features that have come out in recent years. However the film is very disjointed in how the story is presented. There are some really good character moments, but all in all the story just doesn't seem to gel. One thing that really works against this film is that it is ANOTHER film with penguins. I think the whole penguin "thing" has been done and is over. Between "March of the Penquins", "Happy Feet" and the Coca Cola commercials, penguins have been done to death.

This will be a good rental/purchase for those wanting something for their kid's stocking/under the tree for Christmas, but all in all it is a film that is a few years late with the penguin angle.

Exceptional

Author: raquel faria from Evora, Portugal
15 September 2007

Amazing movie! It's a really nice movie to watch. I've never seen a animated movie whose scripts were all based on improvisation! It's awesome! The dialogs between Shia LaBeouf and Jeff Bridges are totally exceptional! They're both great actors and their voices match perfectly together. The images are so beautiful, the water is extraordinary and the way the waves move is so amazing! Critics consider Surf's Up as a Happy Feet's rival but I disagree: the stories are totally different and the way the image is treated is also different. I love Surf's Up soundtrack...it's basically calm musics, very chill out but mixed with some rock and punk rock. It's great! Love it! The characters are so funny and different, with all that hair like real surfers have, and the fact that the movie is almost based on interviews with a camera always pointing to the main character and the others...it's great! Perfect!!

It's not a great animation movie but it's fun

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 September 2007

In the last times,there have been a lot of animated movies with talking animals.Some of them are pathetic,like Open Season or The Wild,but some of the them are good like Over the Hedge and,now,Surf's Up.I did not expect too much from this movie but the film was better than I expected because of some narrative tricks,good voices and subtle humor.Surf's Up is fun,it does not take too seriously itself and it does not have shallow drama.This film is starred by penguins but they don't dance,they don't sing and they do not suffer the cruel life in the Antartic...they practice surf.The documentary style this movie has is really innovative and ingenious.The actors who give the voices to the characters made a good work.The animation is excellent and very realistic.Surf's Up is not a great film and it's not very memorable,but it could keep me fun during all its running time and I thank that a lot.

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]