IMDb > Surf's Up (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

enjoyable, light-hearted flick

Author: nobbytatoes from Australia
18 September 2007

It's becoming a train of thought currently with penguins. "If I see one more penguin, I think I'm going to...". They seem to be everywhere, with movies; March of the Penguins, Happy Feet, Farce of the Penguins. Penguin overload, critical mass reached, looking to explode with Surf's Up jumping into the feathery black and white pile. While wondering what will be the next new animal to grace the screen, it's a hard blow for Surf's Up, coming so late in the penguin parade, and will easily be overlooked as low-grade family fodder. Simple fact is that Surf's Up is a beautiful family affair, with lots of heart, and gives Pixar a reminder they aren't the only ones in the game.

While a simple tale of facing life's challenges, and taking them on with a smile, and a good old laugh for measure, the lack of sap and sickly sweet gooey moments, make Surf's Up such and light an easily digested treat. Surf's Up grabs your attention more due to its venture in the Mockumentary scene; an unconventional twist for the simple kids flick. Screenwriters Lisa Addario and Christian Darren grasp this concept fully, even tackling the genre better than it's original father Christopher Guest. (Well better than his last few features). Interactions between characters and the unseen documentary crew adds an interactiveness, it feels they are talking with the audience. Shots from surf boards and inside the tubes add an actual documentary dimension. A flaw Surf's Up hits is a real punch with many of the jokes and gags. While not reaching the hysterical heights of comedy, the "smaller" laughs keep coming one after the other.

Showing why he's becoming one of the biggest star right now, Shia LaBeouf has a natural charisma and wit to engage you and keep you engaged for the films entirety. Jeff Bridges seems to tap into a more cleaned up, still stoned Lebowski. The rest of the cast never really raise to much. Jon Heder doing what he does best and James Woods becomes bit too caricature as Reggie Belafonte. Yet look for appearances by Kelly Slater and Rob Machado.

While looking like just another computer animated, family film, Surf's Up has so much more going for it. The animation is stunning, scenes inside the wave tubes are beautifully created. This is a film that will be easily forgotten, but for all the wrong reasons.

Good intentions

Author: Richard from U.S.
16 September 2007

Technically, this film is on par with the rest of the animated features that have come out in recent years. However the film is very disjointed in how the story is presented. There are some really good character moments, but all in all the story just doesn't seem to gel. One thing that really works against this film is that it is ANOTHER film with penguins. I think the whole penguin "thing" has been done and is over. Between "March of the Penquins", "Happy Feet" and the Coca Cola commercials, penguins have been done to death.

This will be a good rental/purchase for those wanting something for their kid's stocking/under the tree for Christmas, but all in all it is a film that is a few years late with the penguin angle.

Exceptional

Author: raquel faria from Evora, Portugal
15 September 2007

Amazing movie! It's a really nice movie to watch. I've never seen a animated movie whose scripts were all based on improvisation! It's awesome! The dialogs between Shia LaBeouf and Jeff Bridges are totally exceptional! They're both great actors and their voices match perfectly together. The images are so beautiful, the water is extraordinary and the way the waves move is so amazing! Critics consider Surf's Up as a Happy Feet's rival but I disagree: the stories are totally different and the way the image is treated is also different. I love Surf's Up soundtrack...it's basically calm musics, very chill out but mixed with some rock and punk rock. It's great! Love it! The characters are so funny and different, with all that hair like real surfers have, and the fact that the movie is almost based on interviews with a camera always pointing to the main character and the others...it's great! Perfect!!

It's not a great animation movie but it's fun

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 September 2007

In the last times,there have been a lot of animated movies with talking animals.Some of them are pathetic,like Open Season or The Wild,but some of the them are good like Over the Hedge and,now,Surf's Up.I did not expect too much from this movie but the film was better than I expected because of some narrative tricks,good voices and subtle humor.Surf's Up is fun,it does not take too seriously itself and it does not have shallow drama.This film is starred by penguins but they don't dance,they don't sing and they do not suffer the cruel life in the Antartic...they practice surf.The documentary style this movie has is really innovative and ingenious.The actors who give the voices to the characters made a good work.The animation is excellent and very realistic.Surf's Up is not a great film and it's not very memorable,but it could keep me fun during all its running time and I thank that a lot.

yahoo

Author: alopez20011 from United Kingdom
30 August 2007

The great works of Pixar have caused critics to compare all animated films by that high standard and moan when they don't reach that. This is what has happened to this film unfairly. Who needs perfect animation when you have a screen full of surfing penguins. The conceit of the film is glorious. A good promotion for punching that whole in the ozone layer bigger still is the prospect that we can be surfing in Antartica pretty soon. These penguins are straight out of the end of the 1960s hazy psychedelic time and enjoying the warm waters and surfing. The film is more enjoyable if you see 'March of the Penguins' first with its earnest and pofaced narration. Here instead of penguins struggling to survive against impossible conditions whilst being lauded for their life and death struggle by film makers in the comfortable climate of America, these surfing penguins are enjoying the high life of sweet living when things have warmed up. Spray an aerosol for a penguin and go see this fun film!

Caught and Educational Aspect in the Movie...

Author: MirandaSoft from Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
20 August 2007

I was able to watch this movie on August 11th, 4 days before it's official release here in the Philippines. It was a Red Carpet Primiere, sponsored by Columbia Pictures, SM Cinema, and SkyCable. My wife works for SkyCable and all four of us went to watch the movie. (Me, My Wife, My wife's nephew, and my wife's mother.) During this movie, I caught a very educational aspect...

Friends are More Important than Trophies.

After the movie, I asked Josh (my wife's 7yr old nephew), what is more important? Friends or Trophies? He answered, Friends.

The movie degraded CHEATING, which I'm glad it had emphasized that. Cheating to win does not make "real" friends.

In reality, some parents want their children to "always" be Number 1, and those same parents punish their children when they are not number 1. The tag-line on the Red Carpet Primiere invitation read, "Cody begins to find his own way, and discovers that a true winner isn't always the one who comes in first."

The big wave has been rode.

Author: BratSimpson from United States
14 August 2007

I'm gonna start off by saying that this is the best Shia Lebouf film I've seen (I've only seen three, this, The Greatest Game Ever Played, and Transformers.) It also puts a clever twist on animated penguin movies. That's because instead of being a musical (Happy Feet), it's a fake documentary about surfing. You heard that already, didn't you? It also cast Jon Heder as a clueless character again (Napoleon Dynamite) and this time made him happy a whole lot. Very good qualities of the film. My only problem with it was that it's sometimes too predictable. I knew that Geek was Big Z before it was revealed. Still, it was very excellent with good humor.

Plot: 7/10 Humor: 9/10 Characters: 8/10 Overall Rating: 8/10

About facing challenges told in a really funny way

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
7 August 2007

Another CGI cartoon about penguins! Sure this movie will be compared to "Happy Feet"! But that is not fair since that is a different movie with a whole different message! That message is to show and warn people about the way we treat our environment and animals! "Surf's up" is more of a feel good comedy disguised as a cartoon featuring penguins! Forget that it is a cartoon and forget the penguins! It easily could have been about other animals! Running hares or something! The point of the movie (at least that is how I interpreted it) is about people facing challenges no matter what the outcome! At one point I forget that the main characters were penguins! The voice acting is so good and convincing that you feel the presence of the actors like Shia LaBeouf,Jeff Bridges and James Woods! I don't know how he does it but James Woods is excellent as the sleazy manager! Add to the fact that the graphics are amazing! What you get is a truly funny movie with a solid message suitable for children and adults!

Whoah!!!!!

Author: Sharit Sinha from India
4 August 2007

Whoahhh!!!!!!!!! I really really and really was not waiting for this movie. We went to the complex in weekend and when there was none other available, went in for this one. Though I usually like animation movies, my friend did not, so he was not very happy. But tell u what.... after it ended, he was the one going all the way to praise it.

What a movie...!!! No, not very new concept, but still, very fresh...and made me laugh from the very first scene.

The movie starts with Cody giving an interview.... the whole humanly concept added to penguins made the whole thing hilarious. Cody started off with telling, how he likes surfing and how it has turned him into a LOOOOOSER in Shiverpool, his small hometown. But he does not care, as all Dreamers, and he dreams of being as good as the legend "Zurfer" Big Z.... Who was dead during a very dangerous wave riding.....

Now, Reggie Belafonte starts a Big Z memorial surfing competition on a very very dangerous ocean cliff.... I am blank on Surfing...but thats gotta be the most dangerous beach to surf.... So, Cody does some unintentional dangerous stunts in front of Talent hunter Mikey Abromowitz, and gets a chance to join the competition. He gets to know a buddy surfer Chicken Joe...who is.. really..a chicken...!!! Well, the chicken jokes in the movie were awesome!!! So, Cody is hanging around, meeting and getting crushed over lifeguard Lani Aliikai, and then getting pi**ed off by Over-Bully Tank Evans. While a surfing duel in them, Cody gets wiped off.... and as per his dream....camera rolls over and over!!!! Well, he is unconscious and steps on a sea urchin. Well, when interviewed, urchin denies that as follows....: Stepped on me, stepped on me? Are you kidding? This guy was dancing on me! I mean just look at this, broken, broken, gone, gone, broken, broken, broken...

OK, so camera rolls to Cody and we see Lani dumping him on some self-made clinic in the forest, ran by Geek.... Well, Geek ...err.... pees on him...to heal the wound...Gross....and funny!!! Now, after getting up, Cody starts acting like a top class loser and Geek tries to make him see reasons.... later they settle in to make Cosy's own surf-board.... While, getting the required wood, they roll down and ..... they get to a completely new part of the island. And most surprisingly, Cody (And we) finds out that Geek is actually Big Z.... wow!!! Now, after a motive rendering routine, Z starts with teaching Cody how to make his own board... That has to be the most funny scene in the movie, in the track of teaching Cody, Z actually makes half the board....Well, Cody takes in and screws the thing...(it has to be called "thing"...its no more a board).

Cody goes off the beach and hangs around with Lani. After realizing that he has been a total jerk... he again goes to Z and he trains him, not to be a tough competitor, but just have fun and let go with the waves. Some idealistic battle follow when Big Z's past comes out and Cody leaves him and Lani, to join the competition again. And, as obvious, he is one of the 3 finalists, along with Tank and Chicken Joe.

We forgot Chicken Joe...did not we?? Don't worry, when u see the movie, u wont; every 10 minutes, Joe appears, as he is looking for Cody, after he was bashed up by sea. He gets into several big dangers, but we know that a man(and a chicken) knows no fear, when he knows NOTHING!!!! So Final round comes and Tank is playing dirtier than ever to crush Joe into rough cliffs, Cody saves him but gets stuck in the maze with his board broken. Tank's b**t is kicked totally by the waves and he gets unconscious. Now, Z, who was watching the competition from a hiding, comes out and saves Cody, with his Surfbord Shrine. He appears before the startling crowd and inspires them to have fun with him, instead of nerving out for such stupid spine chilling competition. So..all's well and all's gay ..I mean..happy!!!

Movie ends with Joe surprised with his triumph, Tank's breaking his own trophy and Cody's family giving a post-competition interview. The best thing of the movie is that the movie is shot ....(Sorry, created) with a super 24X7 MOCUMENTARY style.... Guys, if u r animation movie fan and u just loved Shrek or Incredibles....the u will enjoy this one. If you are not into animation movies, u will also love this one...!!!

So, ....what r u waiting for, just go and watch!!!!

Is There Nothing Penguins Can't Do?

Author: tfrizzell from United States
2 July 2007

Penguin successes the last couple of years have been well chronicled and hailed from most every direction as "March of the Penguins" and "Happy Feet" not only cleaned up with movie-goers and critics, but even with Academy Award voters as each took home Oscars as the best films in their respective categories. Now in 2007 we have "Surf's Up" and help me I still like penguin movies. Shot in a strange computer-generated mockumentary style, the film is a charming piece of entertainment which sees a young penguin wanting to be a surfing champion of all things. Amazingly, his dreams could become reality with the help of his friends, a long-believed fallen hero, and some well-timed luck. Risky animated feature due to its style which still delivers for the most part. The graphics are state of the art and the story is just fresh enough to be accessible to audiences. Though not without faults, "Surf's Up" still hung ten (well, eight maybe) with me in the end. Actors voicing the characters include up-and-comer Shia LeBeouf, Jon Heder, Jeff Bridges, and the always under-appreciated James Woods. 4 stars out of 5.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]