IMDb > Southern Belles (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Southern Belles More at IMDbPro »

Southern Fun

Author: Jenn Brown from Austin, TX
21 March 2005

If you're from the south, live in the south, or have spent any time there, you'll appreciate the irreverent humor in SOUTHERN BELLES.

Two life long friends, Bell and Belle, decide to move to Atlanta. Bell is tired of working in the discount store from hell. But Bell has a boyfriend, a rap loving cracker who's car is under Bell's name. Only it's not so easy to leave town.

SOUTHERN BELLES makes fun of the south and people in it with the sensibility of someone who's been there, with a lot of insight, and a lot of heart. Both lead actresses are well cast and thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

It's not destined to be a blockbuster, but you're sure to leave with a grin.

Look for the GONE WITH THE WIND references throughout the film.

HIlarious Movie!!!!

Author: rforbes-2 from United States
20 March 2006

This movie is hilarious. I was glad to see Judah Friedlander expand his body of work beyond The Best Week Ever shows. And Laura Breckenridge and Ana Faris were really good as the lead characters. Plus they're both smoking hot, so that is worth the price of admission on its own. The movie is about two trailer trash girls from Southern Georgia who want to make it to Atlanta to start a new life. One has a delinquent boyfriend who is convinced he's the next big "hill hop" star, which is a funny subplot in itself. When he gets arrested after fighting at a bar, the cop charms Laura Bredkenridge's character and she falls for him. Meanwhile, Ana Faris is trying a million different schemes to raise money for the big trip. I'd put this one on my Netflix list right away.

Interesting, entertaining, nuanced

Author: shawnalit from United States
21 April 2006

Definitely a buy. I first thought it would be a campy movie that would be a good way to kill two hours with. Wrong... watched it twice in one evening and can't wait to see it with my friend later today.

This movie has so many different nuances and contrasts in it that just watching it the second time makes it worth while. For example, there's a bar fight scene where Belle is sitting leisurely at the bar sipping her beer and scheming while behind her two characters are literally doing a fast paced fist dance scene. Fists up, move twice back then twice forward while partner does the same. They each have a buddy who decides to react differently to the situation. What you think is going to happen in this movie... rarely does.

The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. I rarely encounter a movie that makes me want to view the script and see where the director added to it but this one does.

The characters are awesome. Justin Chambers is the only one whose work I've seen before. He plays such a different character in this movie as compared to his role as Alex in 'Grey's Anatomy" that it's hard to believe it's even him. His acting is that good. He is a strong, down to earth (literally), character that makes you feel for him. In fact, it would be impossible to not identify with a lot of the characters in the movie.

Sound... whoever did the music in this one knew what they were doing. They knew when to put in the sappy music and when to scratch the album, thereby emphasizing what was going on in that scene and added the voice of the characters instead of usurping it.

Very interesting movie that I highly recommend. I'd love to say more but...

Loved it!

Author: from United States
14 August 2006

The first time I saw this movie, I came into it where the girls were wearing matching pink suits. Something about it immediately grabbed my interest, and I was glued to the set.

I managed to find it again and got to watch it from the beginning. Still love it! My only complaint is that it's too short. Well, there was also one little side storyline that came out of nowhere and was left hanging.

The characters have a depth you wish could be explored further. I'd love to see a sequel that follows up with Belle and Margery. And maybe even Kevin.

Southern Belles - a delightful film!

Author: kerickso-4 from United States
8 April 2006

This gem of a film is intelligent without taking itself too seriously, effortlessly hilarious, and genuinely touching, without the emotional manipulation so common to romantic comedies. With tongue-in-cheek homages to Gone with the Wind, Thelma and Louise and other screen gems, these debut screenwriters show depth of knowledge of southern life, and deep compassion for their characters. The true joy of the film, however, is in watching such talented young actors! Laura Breckenridge and Anna Faris bring their characters subtly and beautifully alive.

I am generally not a fan of romantic comedies or buddy-pictures, which I usually find to be predictable and forgettable. This is one of those rare films that combines the story of a beautiful, believable friendship, and a love story with complexity and chemistry.

This film has been a hit at film festivals all over the country; it is clear that audiences have fallen for a visually beautiful, brilliantly acted, and thoroughly entertaining film.

A movie this good-Made in 2005!?!?

Author: elskootero (elskootero@hotmail.com) from Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
6 November 2006

I saw this film just two weeks ago and would have sworn it was a romantic comedy from the late 60's or early to mid- 70's: but it was made in 2005, and it's one of the nicest, corniest, sweetest movies I've ever seen. Anna Faris is at her usual comedic best, but Laura Breckenridge steals the show! She is so cute, sweet, and 99 other adjectives for adorable!! You just want to hug her and protect her from the world! The movie follows two women, named Bell and Belle (hence the name) as they want to leave their small town to go to Atlanta to seek fame and fortune, but will they compromise their innocence and sweet naiveté in the process? The ending is pure joy, and if you don't cheer for them, you're not human! It's GREAT!!!

Very diverting

Author: PickMePickMe from Los Angeles
17 June 2006

A simple unpretentious bit of fun that is carried mostly on the strength of the incredibly appealing cast.

The two lead actresses are adorable and funny. They both have natural comedic timing that rises above the material they're given. Don't get me wrong, the writing is not bad, and is far more entertaining and fresh than most predigested pap coming from the big studios and starring Robin Williams or Jim Carrey, but it's undercut by the shove-it-down your throat direction.

It seems as the filmmakers' motto was: "When in doubt, abandon all subtlety." For example, during one character's dialogue, they actually use a snare drum and cymbal on the soundtrack to punch up the joke! I'm not kidding. I didn't hear an actual rimshot, but probably only because the sound designer didn't have it in his FX library. It's from the horrid "Scrubs" school of comedy where they use cartoon sound effects to scream at the viewer: "THERE'S A JOKE HERE, PEOPLE!" It was odd, because the movie didn't deserve that sort of treatment at all, and the script was smarter than that. It's too bad the filmmakers didn't trust the material more and let the jokes live on their own. They also overused music - another sign of low confidence in the film. (An old rule of film-making is that the more music a movie has, the worse the script is. Music should enhance the moment, not try to manufacture a moment that ain't there. Think of any WB show like "The O.C." or "7th Heaven" and how they overuse the cheesy music.) If I'm using TV shows to compare to this movie, it's because this film was shot rather like TV. It was very dialogue-driven, and not very cinematic. The directors were also overly fond of using short lenses (giving the look a very wide feel). Short lenses can induce a sense of extreme closeness to characters, to the point of distortion. They are also used to give a sense of immersion in a world, but when the world they created is not very cinematic, then the technique is counterproductive.

They were also fond of having actors look almost directly into the camera. A lot. I mean really a lot. The end result is that it reinforces the shove-the-movie-down-the-viewer's-throat feeling. The characters feel as though they are taking to the audience instead of each other.

The strength of the film is the cast, especially the 2 leads, who have a joy of performance that's contagious and a real treat to watch. And the rest of the cast shines as well.

Which is where the directors really did their jobs - they were smart enough to give their cast a big movie playground to run free in, and we as audience members benefit.

If you like the TV show "My Name is Earl" or films where character's ambitions are comedically out of touch with their reality like "Raising Arizona", then you would most likely enjoy this diverting film.

It's fast-paced, energetic, and has a cast that never disappoints, even when the script does.

One odd side note, the film is set in the South, and the filmmakers put Confederate flags everywhere. I don't remember that many Confederate flags in the South, and it felt too goofy and kind of racist. But there were zero black people in the film, also unrealistic for the South.

But then again, they also said grace before they ate, something I never see either. Maybe I'm just out of touch with Jesus and racism.

Anyway, this is a good rental just for the performances.

Pleasant surprise.....

Author: merklekranz from United States
3 December 2008

Great date movie, far, far better than nonsense like "Sex and the City". Dreams shattered, dreams realized, just great acting, with a nice slice of life feeling. If you could ever describe a movie as cute, "Southern Belles" would be that movie. The upbeat ending adds tremendously to what has already been a pleasant viewing experience. A lot of thought went into the script, the pacing, and everything comes off better than most low budget films. Congrats to all concerned. I can see why "Southern Belles" won so much praise on the "Festival circuit".Seek this one out, you will not be disappointed. Recommended viewing - MERK

If you liked Raising Arizona...

Author: jtwg@yahoo.com from United States
27 May 2006

With all due respect to jessicacarter7, I think she (?) missed the point here. This was a very good movie in the vein of Raising Arizona. It might not be as ingenious but it's close. In a movie that purposefully over states the stereotype of southerners you simply can't say that someone is using clichés. That's the point. The performances of the leads were far above 'barely good' and the movie was very good if you have an open mind. I'm not sure about her take on the directing; I don't know what 'inspired' or 'uninspired' directing is. I'm also not sure about the 'very loose' editing. What does that mean? If you liked Raising Arizona I think you'll find it to be a quite enjoyable film. It's not meant, I think, to be a serious work of art, just something to enjoy.

Chanuka in August

Author: piXelpiXelpiXel from USA
30 October 2006

This review has been influenced by those already posted, so please expect some unoriginal comments.

First off, this would be a 9 or 10 if it had the big budgets previously mentioned. Even so, its perfect as it is. Bang for the buck, its probably really an 11/10.

Someone else mentioned "Raising Arizona," and that's a dead on balls accurate good comparison. If you liked that, you'll love this. Also, the movie includes both the Confederate flag and black people, just like the actual south. It does not, in my opinion, mock the south. The south is fully capable of doing that for itself. Georgia is just as "cliched" as New York City. Take my word for it. Margery, Duane, Hampton are hilarious, Rhett is likable and the Belles are indeed, both hot. The only possible improvement might be a continuation of the themes expressed in the rest stop scene. Some exploration there might be interesting, but it also might change the movie too much. Just a thought.

As for any mockery of Christians, remember, "even Jesus farted."