IMDb > Music Within (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The "Real" Story Behind the Disability Rights Movement

Author: bigdogzog from United States
15 February 2007

Having been a part of the disability community in Washington, DC for twenty years, I can say that this movie is truly remarkable in how it portrays my history and the history of my friends, family members, and the disability community as a whole. This is the history of another civil rights movement. It fairly and accurately provides a brief look at who we as a community are and what drove us to evolve and push for the playing field to be leveled just enough so that people who are blind, Deaf, have CP, or some other disability can actually go to a restaurant and eat pancakes on our birthday...

Ron Livingston oh-so accurately portrays Richard Pimentel's passion and anger as he struggles with his own life and as he learns how to channel that passion to begin making a difference, not only for himself, but for all people. Mr. Livingston also manages to reflect Richard's manner; his facial expressions, his speech, and especially his "stage presence."

Michael Sheen, who portrays Art Honeyman, draws the audience in and makes us all believe that he has CP. His ability to do this, to really become Art, should certainly earn him an Oscar.

I would highly recommend that everyone see this very entertaining and thought-provoking movie.

This movie was FANTASTIC!!

Author: turnondafun69 from United States
29 September 2006

I went to the LA screening of this movie last night. The director, producer, Ron Livingston, Clint Howard and a few of the crew were there for it. I went in knowing nothing about this movie and must say I loved it! It was a mix of both a great drama and hilarious comedy. It teaches you without being preachy and it seemed to fly by. When it ended I really wanted more, thats something unusual lately. Ron did a great job as well as the rest of the cast, especially Michael Sheen. I think we'll be hearing more about this flick at awards time. If not then thats a real shame. Anyways whenever this film comes out I suggest it for anyone who likes to feel good about life. I know I'll be going to see it again after it opens wide.

A Gem of a Film - One of the year's Best

Author: David Clarke (ssfandad) from Dallas, Texas
26 March 2007

When you have been watching movies for over 30 years and you come across a gem like Music Within, it keeps you coming back for more. This true story (The subject of the film Richard Pimentel verified the historical accuracy at the Dallas Film Festival screening) is both heartfelt, informative and laced sensitively with humor and insightful one liners. I had the privilege of seeing this at the Dallas Film Festival, though it does not apparently open for general release until September. After the screening, the Director, producer and both Ron Livingstone and Yul Vazquez were accompanied by Richard Pimentel himself for Q and A, which allowed some helpful insights not only into the making of the movie, but also the impact the movie is hopefully going to have on understanding those with disabilities and their assimilation into the workplace. The story itself unfolds chronologically and retells Richard's quest to find the 'music within' through a series of events including his own injury in Vietnam that caused a sever hearing disability and started Richard on the road to his eventual calling to aid others in finding work despite their disabilities. Eventually this even to a significant impact on the enacting of the Americans with Disabilities Act. As for the film itself, the acting of Ron Livingstone and Michael Sheen is particularly notable and I would be surprised if Sheen is not seen as a candidate for best supporting actor at the Academy awards next year. The other notable success is the outstanding screenplay. McKinney,Kennemer and Olsen may not yet be household names, but based on this showing, we will be seeing a lot more of their work in the future. Highly recommended - don't miss it when it comes to a cinema near you!

A great movie about Vietnam Vets

Author: ultrarunner from United States
24 January 2007

As a Vietnam Vet with similar disabilities I could relate to what Richard had to go through to be recognized. The movie was funny, but to the point. There should be an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for Michael Sheen. I previewed Music Within at the film festival in Palm Springs. We were able to question the actors, director and producer at the completion of the showing. That was very instructive. Richard valadated the historic accuracy of the story and the impact Americans with Disabilities had on the Presendenal election for George H Bush. ADA was passed in his administration. The impact of Richard's disabilitiy and his recovery prompted my trip to see the same audiologist and I can now hear much better than with the VA's devices.

A wonderful story about friendship and overcoming obstacles

Author: sheau from United States
11 April 2007

The story is a compassionate one about overcoming great obstacles and making the best of it. The friendship that develops between two unlikely characters is incredible. There is not a weak link in the bunch. Every portrayal is so refreshingly honest and believable. Yul Vasquez is an incredible actor! You will be amazed that Michael Sheen does not have a disability. It made me feel that there was so much more that I could do with my life, and that I am in reality essentially lazy. It is very motivating to say the least. I hate to spoil it for anyone and give away too many details. The soundtrack will have you doing some toe-tapping as well. Enjoy it and soak up every moment!

A Must See

Author: Jeno_Jeno from United States
19 July 2007

Funny, Gripping, Heart Breaking... This movie has all the elements of Human Nature, both good and bad, and brings them to the Audience in a poignant way. Rich & Art, through their stubbornness and friendship, show that with enough determination 2 people can make a difference. Anyone who has or knows anyone with a disability should appreciate what these 2 men have done for the fellow human being. It also shows what obstacles people with disabilities face and the stigmatizing affects that go with it. It breaks down some barriers of the prejudices that follow the disability community. The Soundtrack is just awesome especially for those of us that remember those times in the 60's & 70's. Top rate acting from some top rate actors.

An emotional roller-coaster that hits all notes

Author: vinobien from Dallas, TX
25 August 2007

Wow - I saw this movie at the Dallas Int Movie Festival. It was the Audience Award Winner. This movie had everything. It made me laugh and cry (tried to hide it since Im a grown man). The story was great and really dived in to exploring the main character. Ron Livingston was exceptional. I knew little about the disability act, so this movie really enlightened me to the hardships that disabled people have to go through. We met the director after the movie ... young guy who is going to have a bright career. You have got to see this movie. I see at least 5 movies a week and have not seen a more moving story in a long time. The roller-coaster of emotion was overwhelming. The scene at the end going back to the restaurant ws especially moving.

Inspiring for members of Armed Forces

Author: rondeenee from United States
15 April 2007

Richard Pimental tells his story of being a disabled Veteran, and how he was treated when he returned from the war. This movie is very relevant to today's political situation, and it is heartening to those of us going to Iraq or Afhganistan, where the possibility of coming home disabled is extremely high. Knowing there are people like Richard Pimental trying to make life better for anyone disabled is a wonderful thing. Ron Livingston's performance was right on target. He and Richard and the producer made an appearance at Ft. Hood, TX, promoting the movie, signing autographs and answering questions from soldiers. It was great to see them give their time to speak to soldiers.

This is a CLASSY Indie

Author: Fondafan from Los Angeles
11 January 2007

I Just saw "Music Within" at The Palm Springs Festival and what a wonderful film it is. Honest, humorous and enlightening. I enjoyed the fact it doesn't try to jam a message down your throat. I never felt manipulated by the filmmaker. This young fellow (Steven Sawalich) has made a wonderful first film.

The performances are really good. Ron Livingston does a great job as the lead. Michael Sheen delivers a dynamite turn as Art, a young guy ravaged by Cerabal Palsey. The wonderful trick he pulled off (I guess with the help of the Director) was being understandable when the character needed to be and still create the illusion he had CP. Another acting highlight was Yul Vasquez as this crazy vet Mike. Virtually every performance was solid. Hector Elizondo plays this College Speech Professor perfectly. Even Clint Howard shows up and scores.

For a little indie, it looks great and has a great period (50s, 60s and 70s) feel. No showboating, just right. The music they picked helps a lot.

It's one of those movies you go home, think about and call your friends the next day to tell them about it.

Livingston gives a stellar performance and Sheen shines in this well-meaning biopic

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
15 November 2007

THE MUSIC WITHIN (2007) **1/2 Ron Livingston, Melissa George, Michael Sheen, Yul Vazquez, Rebecca De Mornay, Hector Elizondo, Leslie Nielsen. Livingston gives one of his best performances to date in this biography of Richard Pimentel, whose deafness resulted in Vietnam lead him to speak out on behalf of those discriminated for their handicaps and led to the Americans With Disabilities Act. While the film feels like a Hallmark TV Movie the acting is sublimely uniform – Sheen is memorable as Pimentel's cerebral palsy afflicted best friend – and the direction by newcomer Steven Sawalich keeps the story straight forward without being mawkishly maudlin.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]