IMDb > Are We Done Yet? (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Title Should Be Changed To Is This Done Yet

Author: TEAQUIEMORO from United States
9 April 2007

I mean when I saw Are We There Yet, I thought it was finished from there but no. They had to do Are We Done Yet. I mean, if they know the first one was bad why are they making another one, what is wrong with these directors. They are making some bad squeals or remakes that are in the bottom and they still continue. Soon another one is going to be called Are We Having Fun Yet, well guess what, no. And for sure this movie would at least be better than the first, but it is worst. I should be stupid for watching this piece of crap. Let me tell you for all that didn't see this movie yet, you made the right choice. Soon, these dopes will make the third, then the fourth, then more. Make sure you will never see this, the only funny jokes are in the trailer. That's it.

Natural Disasters Have More Laughs

Author: Gregory Eichelberger from San Diego
6 April 2007

"Are We Done Yet?" Let's hope so. A phenomenally bad movie and, worse yet, a completely unfunny comedy that rips off "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," among a dozen other, better films. Oh, did I also mention it's a sequel to one of the worst movies of 2005, "Are We There Yet?" In that picture, former gangsta rapper Ice Cube (now flattened and mellowed down to a pathetic, bumbling caricature) was Nick, the idiotic boyfriend of Suzanne, mother of the most untalented and unsympathetic kids on the planet. No wonder his character hated children, with these horrid spawn underfoot, I'd have a vasectomy immediately.

In this version, he actually marries Suzanne, but four people living in a small apartment causes him to move to the country. Very far out in the country where there's no malls or cell phone reception.

Here he meets the wacky Chuck (John McGinley, "Platoon," "Wild Hogs," TV series "Scrubs") village Realtor/contractor/building inspector/idiot, who convinces Nick to buy a huge Victorian mansion (even though he could only afford to live in a small apartment in the city).

Of course, once the papers are signed, the domicile begins to fall apart; the electricity goes out, the roof leaks, floors collapse, walls crumble, and so does the marriage.

Meanwhile, Nick has taken out a big advance to start a sports magazine and is trying to woo Ervin "Magic" Johnson for a relevant cover story (didn't Magic Johnson retire from the NBA like 400 years ago?!).

Nick also seems to have an unlimited income for these repairs, and Chuck keeps bringing in more and more bizarre and not-at-all-humorous workers (a pair of huge Samoan dry rot specialists, a blind plumber, etc.) to fix the money pit.

Also, Suzanne is pregnant, and in a scene that has graced thousands of comedies in the past, she goes into labor at a most inconvenient time. And while this film is clearly for youngsters (as well as the severely brain-damaged), and should therefore not be judged like a Shakespeare sonnet, I nevertheless cannot abide comedies which do not make me laugh – at all.

We know what jokes and pratfalls will take place minutes before they occur (Nick falls through floors, roofs and walls, is struck by lightening and is attacked by bats, raccoons, deer and a crazed sturgeon.

Not one of these situations is even remotely interesting, let alone smile-inducing. Friends, I've seen funnier memorial services.

Ice Cube's talent peaked in "Boyz in the Hood," (and he had funnier lines when he was singing with N.W.A.), while the other leads are absolutely abysmal, especially the two kids, who've lost any cuteness and most of their acting abilities since the first picture.

In fact, the only saving grace (and I mean that term in the loosest way possible), is McGinley. Sure, he was funnier as the syncophatic sergeant in "Platoon," but his presence here is really the only thing that saves "Are We Done Yet?" from total burial in the dung heap.

His inclusion makes this one slightly better than the first, which is like saying that Lee Harvey Oswald was a better shot than John Wilkes Booth.

Are we "done" yet?

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
6 June 2008

Holy crap, I hope so, because I can't stand to watch another one of these horrible films. Let me start off with my grisly story of how I watched this film. I got it as a Christmas present from a family member. She said I knew I liked the first one, which she was wrong, so she went ahead and got me the sequel. I made a fake smile, and before I put it away for life, she suggested we watched it. My heart was pounding out of my chest, for I knew I could not escape! I hated the first one and even though I am willing to give any film a chance, I was not anywhere near excited.

Well, we started it up, and pretty soon we were all sitting down watching it. Here's a clue as to what my families thoughts on it were: The family member apologized for buying it for me, my brother fell asleep, and my mom sat there with a disgusted look on her face. Even my eight year old cousin and five year old nephew did not laugh! I still can not believe that this is the filth that caused the wonderful movie Grindhouse to bomb, and I will hate this film until the very day I die for that, and I feel tremendously sorry for anyone who decides to watch it. It's just as poor as everything is in the first. Lame jokes, lame acting and lame plot.

If another film is made I assume it will be titled, "We're Not Done Yet, Sorry".

Author: ( from Georgia
16 April 2007

I went to see this with a good friend over the weekend b/c I had nothing to do and she really liked Are We There Yet? and convinced me that this would be funny. Please, I urge you not to see this movie if you are over the age of 8. This was an hour and a half of my life that I will NEVER get back.

**SPOILERS (I guess)**

I'm thinking the makers of this "movie" just ripped off and pieced together parts of other bad movies like The Money Pit, The Great Outdoors, Troop Beverly Hills.... or any of those family films where the new stepparent or annoying relative is trying to win over the kids/other relatives and a bunch of wacky adventures (in the wilderness, on the road, with a crappy house, with a rebellious teen, etc) ensue.

Nothing in this movie is wacky or funny. Seriously, there are jokes like "I don't know karate, but I know Ka-razy" and a wife giving birth going "You did this to me! I hate you!" Nope, never heard those before.

Then, there is everyone blaming our hero, Ice Cube, for all of the terrible things going wrong, when either:

a) they are the fault of the bafflingly annoying con-artist/psychopath that serves as their realtor, contractor, house inspector, electrician, connection to Magic Johnson, midwife (yes, midwife) and "baby whisperer" (don't ask).

b) no one really seems to care that the 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER is either prancing around in next to nothing or going to a huge party with (I assume) a lot of alcohol and a guy who looks like he's probably 18 or older (Hello, statutory rape, anyone?). The mother is completely unconcerned and/or chooses not to get involved. Instead, she lets a man who her kids barely know do the parenting.

I could go on. There are so many things in this movie that don't make sense or are just plain dumb that I guess the producers thought would be funny. They were very, very wrong. This movie bites.

Funny family movie

Author: froglady99 from United States
27 October 2007

I don't know why so many other people hate this movie so much. Some of them said outright that they didn't like the first one, so why would they watch the sequel? I enjoyed the first one, so naturally I wanted to see the sequel. Sure, it was a bit hokey, but a lot of family movies are. This movie was funny, and it had some serious moments too.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, here's my recommendation: a. If you didn't like the first movie, you probably won't like this one either, so don't waste your time watching it and then complain about it on this website.

b. If you liked the first movie, you'll probably enjoy this one as well, so go ahead and enjoy it, no matter what the complainers say.

c. If you haven't seen the first movie, watch it first, because it's a good movie and gives you the background on the story. Then watch this movie.

Good for the family

Author: namor_jedi from United States
18 August 2007

I've never seen Are We There Yet?, and I had no intention of watching this film. I thought as many that the funny parts were in the trailers and that the actors were sub-par. For the most part that is true. There were some surprises in the humor, mostly from John C. McGinley, but it was far from side splitting. Even though it was not a great movie on the whole, it was a great family film. Today, with the exception of Disney, most movies are far from family friendly. Even Dreamwork's cartoons have a great deal of crude humor in them that make most parents cringe when watching them with small children. Are We Done Yet? actually has a lot of great family values that are missing from a lot of movies that have come out recently. The film shows a man who is forced to take care of a family that is not his own and also to prepare for his future children with his new wife. This step-father acts more like a dad should to his teenage step-daughter than most real father's do. Very rarely will you see some one in a film telling a young girl to put on more clothes and yelling at her for sneaking out of the house. If you are looking for something that is more than okay to watch with the kids then this is a movie to check out. Don't expect anything close to award winning, but parents can watch this safely with their kids without wondering if their kids know what the last innuendo meant every couple of minutes.

Can i go Home yet ?

Author: stephengraley from United Kingdom
8 April 2009

What a Shocker, the film should have been renamed Can i go home yet because i wanted to from 10 minutes in.

I have never been so bored watching a film, it was almost painful to watch, lets see where it all went wrong.

Are we there yet, This was hilarious and this was due to a couple of key areas. 1) The story revolved around the kids and they made all the moments of laughter. 2) The Beloved Car 3) Satchel Paige sitting on the car dashboard.

Now lets see where "Are we Done yet" went wrong.

The kids were hardly in the movie compared to the original, The car was hardly seen and Satch was not even in the movie. Add to that the most annoying character in the history of cinema played by John C. McGinley and we have a turkey of a movie roasting to perfection. It breaks my heart to say this as i have seen, Are we there yet like 20 times and it still has me in fits of laughter, my 2 year old nephew wants to always watch it and i am more than happy to. They should have called this Home Improvement as the whole story revolved around McGinley's character. it was also embarrassing the way the movie tried to cling to successful scenes from the original movie, Aleisha Allen singing and the scene with the rabid Deer.

In conclusion i am sorry to say that this film is another poor excuse this summer on a bandwagon of shocking Sequels.

Extreme Makeover with some giggles.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
5 July 2008

Well, apparently this is a loose remake of Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House but, as I haven't seen that movie yet, I shall simply review the film on it's own merits.

Ahem - merits that may be hard for others to see, admittedly. Here are some disheartening facts, first of all. It's a comedy, which isn't such a bad thing, but it's also a sequel to a decidedly average comedy. It stars Ice Cube and some very annoying youngsters. Oh, and there are a few too many moments of anthropomorphism so be warned if you dislike smartass animals.

The first movie, Are We There Yet, surprised me by not leaving me with a feeling that I had to destroy every TV in my house but it was still just about a 5/10 flick. The main plus point with the film was, surprisingly, Ice Cube, who does fairly well in comedy roles and is a lot more likable when he's willing to make the pratfalls. So I suspected that the sequel would be more of the same if perhaps a little weaker. Well, IMO, it's slightly better and that's thanks to one major inclusion.

Ladies and gentlemen . . . . . . . John C. McGinley. The funniest guy in "Scrubs" is also, without a doubt, the funniest guy in this movie as Ice Cube and his family buy a house from . . . McGinley and then find out that it needs some major repairs and so have to call in . . . . McGinley, alongside the added stress of Cube's partner being pregnant and helped through her ante-natal classes by . . . . McGinley. Yep, as you can tell, McGinley does pretty much every job going in the local area so he soon steps on Cube's toes and seems to be making the whole situation a lot worse while we all come to realise that his heart is in the right place and all he wants to do is help.

There are comedy freefalls, some fun with electrics, blind workmen used for some cheap gags, many sneers from Ice Cube and a whole load of fish provided by the new neighbours (apparently, the sturgeon is so good that absolutely everyone has loads to spare). It made me chuckle and it made me laugh loudly on a couple of occasions. No classic and, let's face it, Ice Cube is no Cary Grant but it's enjoyable enough for a family movie to watch on a dull afternoon.

See this if you like: Are We There Yet?, The Money Pit, John C. McGinley.

I wished this movie was done before the halfway mark

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 November 2010

Are We There Yet was no great shakes but it had its moments. This film however has very few redeeming qualities at all, and was really a chore to sit through. In fact I was checking the clock before the halfway mark as it was very dull and very slack in pace. Not only that but it was further disadvantaged by a truly dreadful script that is never funny or poignant, a predictable story, unfunny gags and situations and terrible acting(Ice Cube tries hard but is badly let down by the script and his co-stars). The direction is non-existent and the last half especially is sloppy in the extreme. Overall, awful film and not recommended. 1/10 Bethany Cox

Awful, Ice Cube, just awful.

Author: freakfire-1 from Texas, United States
26 March 2008

Of all the Ice Cube movies I have seen, this has got to be the worst. Not only were many of results cliché, especially the ending, but many of the characters were just unfunny. And that is being nice.

John McGinley, who initially seems welcoming, becomes a nuisance. He sells Ice a lemon of a home and has a monopoly on every main job for the community. But instead of getting rid of him, he becomes liked. Even Ice Cube likes him at the end.

Many of the jokes were bad or badly set up. I admit blind plumbers could have been funny. But instead, they just walked about with stereotypical blind sticks. But nothing funny happened. Nothing. How could anybody blow a bit like that? Apparently this crew could.

Ice Cube could have done worse. But I am not happy with his work. Nia Long is very nice looking, but the plot, direction, and screenplay is all wrong. Better luck making "Next Next Friday" or "Barbershop 3". They probably would be better. "D"

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]