IMDb > Dhoom (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dhoom

Dhoom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Adrenaline rush - welcome to Bollywood!

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
5 September 2004

High speed chases, extraordinary camera-work, wizardry technical effects, and sensuous bombshells - the thrilling "sub-genre" of adrenaline rush has to come to Bollywood with a bang! Hosting a cast of not-so impressive stars, the high-speed motorbikes sweep you off your seat. This is true Hollywood-style thrill. Mishcievious zoom-ins of scantily clad heroines add to the testosterone flavor of this film. A fantastic musical score with fast-paced beats spice things up even more. For the first time, Uday Chopra isn't annoying. Maybe now, he'll actually be able to get a role in a film not under his family's banner. Abhishek is good except for a couple of scenes where he tries to act like his dad. Note to Abhishek: never attempt comedy. John Abraham, in his short role, is definitely the best of the cast. Esha Deol has a cool role. This is one of Bollywood's best action productions!

Don't think and you might be entertained

Author: darashukoh
14 March 2005

****** SPOILERS FOLLOW - BEWARE******* Dhoom is very different from the standard Hindi film fare and combines glamor, action, and oodles of skin. It seems to have become somewhat of a cult film and the comments on this site seem highly appreciative. I may be one of the few dissenting notes here.

I saw this movie last night on video - and I agree that it is better watched on the big screen. But what struck me was the complete suspension of disbelief - fairly standard in a Bollywood flick, but this one was trying to be more.

Lets take the plot. A gang of pizza delivery boys use souped-up bikes to hijack armored bank trucks and carry out incredible heists. Would a accompanying police escort stop at a traffic light? - hello, its the police, they would switch on their siren and move to keep pace with the armored truck. Secondly, Where are these deserted highways close to Bombay/Mumbai where one can speed at 260kmph (150 miles per hour) and also find no other traffic? Third, the greatest strength of the police is their organization - numbers, skilled specialists etc. However, the hero, who vacillates between incompetence and retardation works alone, with a garage mechanic/motorcycle aficionado who is more hindrance than help. The rest of the police squad seem to be very nonchalant about the stakeouts - treating them more like some chore than the urgent action they are supposed to be. Fourth, after a warning is received, why would the Chief Minister's charity organizers hold up the collection box with the money in full view of the public(and robbers)? Fifth, where do the robbers emerge from suddenly? - Why wouldn't a large trailer truck be suspected and searched as a reasonable place to stow away bikes? Finally, what sort of moronic investigator reveals all his plans to the arrested suspect while "taking a walk" as if they were sauntering in Lodhi Gardens? Why didn't he cuff the suspect(s)when he had them on camera?

No complaints about skin and sex, but realistically, where does one find fishnet stocking clad girls (in the hundreds) rooting for bike-rider racers in Bombay? I mean if the theme is total fantasy then why have a plot at all - just a series of music videos with a few dollops of sex would have sufficed - oops, thats what it was anyway, right? I tend to be harsher on movies that pretend to have a plot, or be different. I daresay for large numbers of people Dhoom is a first in terms of action, cinematography, plot etc. It is highly different from the girl-marries-boy with wedding-spectacle of 3000 dancers. A tighter plot and some intelligence from the scriptwriters would have made this into a first-rate film.

I think everyone acted well - and Abhishek seems fairly similar to his father 30 years ago. Uday Chopra played the nitwit pretty well, though again, why cast an imbecile as a crucial player? Surely, the police can find motorcycle specialists with moderately higher intelligence levels AND humor?

Zip!! Zap!! Zooooommmmmm!!!!!

Author: Vishal Kumar from Sydney, Australia
8 November 2004

Dhoom!!!..... Blast!!!! Exactly what the movie is. It is a blast. It begins with style and keeps going... taking one on a roller coaster ride. Short movie with action-impact. The music is good... helps in taking the movie ahead. The editing is crisp. The photography is okays. The movie banks heavily on style and it delivers. The action sequences are the high-point and it does not disappoint.

From frame one to the last it is riveting. Abhishek again induces confidence that he is someone to reckon with. His lines are crisp and well-delivered. Uday goes over-board with his buffoonery. John is pure style. The meanie. The girls (Rimi especially) has loads of oomph.

Recommended Viewing for one and all!!

Fast and Furious in Bollywood

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
8 December 2004

I had little respect for Sanjay Gadhvi after his futile attempt of making Bollywood version of highly adorable My Best Friends Wedding. But with Dhoom - he back on track. Its interesting to see Yashraj into Action-Thrillers who generally stick to love themes, proving they are developing into professional production houses.

A good storyline filled with witty one-liners, good comic scenes, great songs, plenty of flesh and of course great action sequences - a perfect recipe for a masala Bollywood action. The pace of the movie is so good that you don't want to leave your seat.

Abshishek's performance is good - within the boundaries of his can's and cannot's. Uday Chopra overacts. John Abraham fits the role to the "T". Heroines have small roles but oozing with sex-appeal (the action theme demands it - remember?). Abhishek-Uday combo is similar to 48 Hours and evokes good mirth.

An entertaining fare from start to finish. Go watch it!!!

Surprising isn't it.

Author: deavenger from United States
21 January 2007

Dhoom, bolleywood's action flick. I'm more with the drama or comedy in bolleywood, mostly because I hate to see a good action film become a musical. But this action/musical is an exception.

Dhoom is about a hard-boiled cop who teams up with a cool rider from the streets to catch a thief who along with his gang to rob banks and armored trucks.

This movie has some pretty mid tier action and could probably could have more action in it. But considering bolleywood, this is impressive. One of the best parts is the two girls they chose to play were pretty decent looking and good acting actresses. Not to mention the song Dhoom Dhoom is pretty good also.

Summary of The Fast and the Furious, Ocean's Eleven and some more action flicks + some Hindi movie masala

Author: blooming_jasmine from United States
14 June 2005

It's a stylish, visually appealing movie. A weird mixture (off the top of my head) of The Fast and the Furious, Ocean's Eleven, Gone in 60 Seconds and probably much more. The chase on land and water is like right out of a Bond climax. I'd say the only good thing in the movie is Abhishek Bacchan. Was it necessary for the women to have close to no clothes on? Oh Well...I guess they had to throw in SOMETHING that was vintage Bollywood. At least they're not being sexist. John Abraham could use some clothes too. The poor fella. There wasn't a time when Uday Chopra was on screen that I didn't want to slap him silly. All in all, you don't wanna see a whole bunch of Hollywood action flicks? Here's your all in one. Got nothing better to do...I'd suggest watching this one.

John steals the show...............

Author: tharukshan12 from Sri Lanka
28 June 2014

As an Indian audience we have been craving for action movies these days since we experienced some spectacular action movies in Hollywood. As we thought, here comes a dashing and daring action film directed by sanjay. As it's theatrical trailer failed to create an impression upon us as well it's the first action film from yash raj films, most of us were not quite sure about dhoom. Upon it's release, i felt that it deserves more than we anticipated. Dhoom is an action thriller film which tells about the story of kabir, a calm and arrogant man attempts to loot a casino in goa and how his progess is retarded by a super cop jai and his fellow side kick Ali, a mechanic took from slums in order to associate jai in his case. Throughout the entire film action scenes were well shot as well tunic musics. Story of this film succeeds to keep us in edge by it's gripping screen play and thrilling background music by salim. In my point of view i personally felt that rimi sen shouldn't be in this film since her character in this movie is good though and in addition to that movie could have been even longer as action scenes and plot are very pleasing. In conclusion i would like to say that dhoom shouldn't be missed for any reason and it has all variety of entertainment as well as brilliant acting all over it. So go for it guys and have fun........

Acting - Except abhishekh and rimi for john it's 9/10 Songs - 8/10 Story/Plot- 9/10

There's no turning round! Dhoom Machale!!!!!!

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
2 January 2007

I watched the trailer of this movie while in Britian. Then I went on vacation, on the way back I saw a copy of Dhoom and thought why not?The trailers looked amazing.

I was amazed and definitely shocked how bollywood could create something exciting for once by imitating a bunch of Hollywood movies.

A gang have created a sophisticated way of robbing banks (with bikes) they are led by Kabir a confident and clever robber who likes a challenge. Kabir uses the highway as a getaway only robbing places that have a slip road next to them onto the highway, so he can hide in a lorry and then he works in pizza parlour, were no one would ever suspect him of robbing a bank. Jai Dixit, a police officer at the top of his game enlists the help of Ali a champion racer into catching these criminals. Soon a game of cat and mouse ensues as Jai and Kabir become "FREINDS".

I was a fan of The Fast and the Furious so I was excited to see how bollywood could adapt that theme into the plot they used many different themes (OCEANS ELEVEN, TORQUE) and made a great movie. The action was okay, although it was fantasy most of it.The songs catching and were really cool and fun to watch and sing along..... especially the remixed version with Tata Young.

Easha Deol looked extremely hot in this film I didn't notice her much in the previous films simple because she wasn't very attractive but this film definitely has changed her look and approach.

Dhoom has opened my mind to other films of the Hollywood genre but I have since been disappointed I was looking forward to Krrish but that was a waste of time (only the fight in the warehouse was worth it) And Dhoom 2 wasn't as good as 1 simple because they tried to cash in on the success of 1.

Only if John Abraham returned.

But all in all DHOOM IS A WILD EMOTION.

The Dhoom series:Part 1.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
27 March 2015

After finding Dhoom 2 to be rather disappointing,I originally planned to not view the first one in the series,but got caught by surprise,when my dad revealed that he had recently picked up the first Dhoom on DVD for a whole £1!,which led to me getting ready to Dhoom again.

The plot:

With a biker gang having recently done a number of successful robberies,undercover cop officer Jai Dixit is given the task of unmasking the mysterious bikers.Checking for ant info on people who have recently taken part in illegal races,Dixit is able to track downer biker Ali Akbar Fateh Khan.Getting Khan to reveal all his secrets,Dixit gives Khan a get out of jail free card,which he will get if he is able to help arrest the biker gang.Finding himself with no other options left,Khan decides to get on the tracks with Dixit.

View on the film:

Whilst the movie does use The Fast And The Furious as a starting lap,director Sanjay Gadhvi shows remarkable foresight,in giving the title a tone that the Furious franchise would later take,thanks to Gadhvi giving the flick an excellent cartoon atmosphere,which goes from Dixit doing fighting moves in mid-air,to the biker gang being filled with snarling baddies.Along with the cartoon feel,Gadhvi also gives the film a slick,glossy appearance,which allows for the exciting biker stunt work, (most of which done without CGI) to be given a stylish flourish.

Keeping the films 2 hour motor running,music director Pritam Chakraborty makes every song count,as the soundtrack goes from a grinding title track,to a hilarious ballad over Khan's eye for the ladies.Avoiding any filler sub-plots,the screenplay by Vijay Krishna Acharya keeps everything lean & mean,with Acharya keeping the bikers limited to a catchy one-liner,and building a warm buddy Comedy charm between Dixit & Khan,which helps to make this Dhoom one that is worth getting on the tracks for.

A time-pass movie to watch for fun

Author: wajeehkhan01 from United States
14 March 2015

This movie is basically like a wannabe fast and furious and it tries to be many other things. But that is Bollywood. If you don't really care and aren't really thinking and want to get entertained, than this is a movie you should watch. The acting by Abhishek and John Abraham was okay; good enough for their first hit movie. Obviously, Uday Chopra was horrible and annoying to the core. He tries way too hard to be funny and cool. The music was good, though. There was some comedy, but some of it was not really that funny. The only thing I really remember this movie for was the cheesy action sequences and the repeated "Dhoom Machale" music and tune. Overall, the movie is okay and, I mean, it isn't horrible, but it isn't great. It still entertains, though. I would rate it like a 6.3 out of 10.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]