IMDb > Imagine Me & You (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

a true romantic comedy

Author: duffy-mn from New England
2 February 2006

This movie is striking...I couldn't disagree more with the opinions that it lacks heart and conviction and is built up on too many clichés. Obviously with the genre it is difficult to avoid these things, but Ol Parker did a wonderful job breathing life into this love story. I walked in with very few expectations and left wanting to own a copy to watch again and again.

The characters, if somewhat two dimensional, are relate-able and passionate. Rachel is flawless, perhaps the best I have seen of Perabo (especially compared to her performance in her other lesbian film, 'Lost and Delirious'). The movie is worth seeing for her alone--she conveys with the simple wring of a hand or glance a thousand words. She brings to the part the giddy excitement of anyone who's ever been in love before, but at the same time deals with the obstacles of marriage and her newfound homosexuality in very real ways.

Matthew Goode also has a very praise worthy performance. In fact, most of the actors here really are excellent in their parts and their timing is brilliant. I laughed out loud multiple times and it was nice to see 'funny girls' on their own terms in the current Hollywood of 'Wedding Crashers' and 'Anchormen' where comedy is becoming routine and lackluster. Gotta love the British humor!

On a final note, this is an exceptional film in my eyes for the way it handles the lesbian theme. Parker is tasteful and human about it, making it about love more than anything else. This is the kind of atmosphere that makes you believe in love, whether you're gay or straight, and have faith that there is one person out there if only you'll keep your eyes open.

I loved it!

Author: scwaller from Cincinnati, OH United States
11 September 2005

I saw this film today at the Toronto International Film Festival and I really liked it. I was pleasantly surprised by the unexpected plot (it didn't match my expectations based on the mini summary I read prior to seeing the film)....I won't elaborate since it will spoil the film for others. The only reason I give a 9 rating instead of 10 is that there were a few unrealistic and sometimes too predictable scenes, but this really didn't detract from the overall movie experience. The cinematography is really wonderful and the use of color and locations is really quite wonderful as well. I really enjoyed the panoramic views of the city of London. Anyway, compliments to new director on the scene, Ol Parker. I hope we see more from you in the near future!

MPAA is stupid.

Author: gringa_chola from United States
17 August 2006

I am not here to talk about this film. I am FUMING because of the MPAA rating for this film. Rated R. ARE YOU KIDDING????????? This film was a harmless romantic comedy just like the millions out there: Pretty Woman, Notting Hill, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days- all of which are rated PG 13. I am so angry at the blatant discrimination in the rating of this film. Because it portrays lesbians FAIRLY (meaning, no one freaks out about their sexual orientation), it is rated R. And this might be no big deal. I mean, after all, we can all watch this film as adults. However, the blatant discimination makes me angry. And furthermore, making this film, like thousands of other films about LGBT people unavailable to a younger audience further isolates and "other-izes" LGBT people. Its not right.

"Imagine Me & You" may in fact be one of the best romantic comedies ever to hit the big screen

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
1 February 2006

"Imagine Me & You" is not your typical love story. It is the story of a girl named Rachel (Piper Perabo) who is getting married to her long term fiancée Heck (Matthew Goode). At the wedding ceremony, Rachel locks eyes with the flower girl Luce (Lena Headey) and feels something that she has never felt before. After the wedding, Rachel invites Luce over for some dinner to thank her for such a wonderful flower arrangement and to help set up Heck's friend Coop (Darren Boyd) with Luce. Before dinner, Heck asks Luce if she has a husband or a boyfriend but to Heck's surprise he finds out that she has neither and is indeed attracted to members of the same sex. Heck shocked by the news, alerts Rachel. But Rachel seems to be uninterested in the news and just wants to know why she is so drawn to Luce. Funny and touching moments ensue…

I was lucky enough to be invited to a free screening for this film. This is definitely a film I would have been happy to pay for. This movie is often funny but is never over the top. "Imagine Me & You" is definitely a breathe of fresh air when it comes to the whole romantic comedy genre. I think the whole new spin with homosexual love stories is helping this genre and allowing some fresh new material to be used.

I personally really like Piper Perabo. I first saw her in the movie "Lost & Delirious" which is a wonderful and beautifully told tale. After seeing that movie, I was blown away by her performance. But soon after she wasn't in much and kind of started to do bad mainstream movies like "The Cave" but now with "Imagine Me & You" I can say that she's back to where she belongs. Piper plays Rachel like the role was tailor made for her. Her performance is touching and believable. Matthew Goode also stars as the lovable and sensible husband. Again I liked Matthew Goode from the first time I saw him in "Chasing Liberty". Goode has definitely come a long way from "Chasing Liberty" and has proved himself to be a worthy addition to Hollywood as an actor. He plays a very likable but caring husband in this film. He is rather solid in his performance and delivers some nice laughs. Also Lena Headley is a joy to watch on screen and played her role flawlessly. I really liked all the performances including several of the smaller roles that I haven't mentioned.

I never heard of Ol Parker before I watched this movie. Mr. Parker was both the writer and director of this film. I personally think that Mr. Parker has a career ahead of him. The problem is will he be able to keep his movies as fresh as this movie? Mr. Parker did a great job capturing the true emotions of the characters and showing how hard it is to be something that isn't always acceptable by everyone. I really liked the director's choice of music as well. The Turtles song at the end really fit in with the moment.

Overall, I would have paid full price admission to see this movie and probably will go back to the theater sometime and see it again. I think the homosexual love stories will be a big hit and make people feel a little more accepting of someone's sexual choice. The movie is definitely a feel good movie with a unique twist and a good amount of laughs. At the screening, the film had a very good audience and was loved by most. People clapped and stayed till the end of the credits which doesn't happen that often. The movie made people laugh, cry, and overall feel good about life. "Imagine Me & You" is definitely a movie I would like to see more of in the years to come.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "Imagine Me & You" is an 8/10.

Excellent film about love...

Author: lisa2468sf from United States
20 January 2006

It's so rare to see a film that actually shows people who have a conscience, and are able to truly love each other. This one breaks the mold in a way that is touching, funny, moving, and realistic. All of these characters are so likable, it's a pleasure to watch them. This is a very rewarding movie experience. The dialogue touched my heart, but not in a way that made me feel like I was being manipulated. So often films are "too cool" to show people who truly care about each other, but this one is brave enough to show that what really adds value to our lives is loving each other, and going for true passion is what keeps us vibrant.

A Must See!

Author: daxdsnine from Canada
15 February 2006

"Imagine Me & You" is everything a romantic comedy should be: charming, original, containing funny, delightful scenes, based on a good story (with no gigantic Hollywood clichés), and played by a great cast. The characters, main and secondary, are interesting.

I cannot say enough good things about the cast. Piper Perabo and Lena Headey are both excellent. And the same is true for the other members of the cast (Tony Head, Matthew Goode, etc).

The fact that there is a lesbian relationship made the movie quite interesting to me. But, really, I would highly recommend it to any people (straight or gay) who appreciate a feel-good, touching (but not sappy)well-done romantic comedy.

Refreshingly delicate

Author: Toula Touzel from United Kingdom
14 June 2006

Imagine Me and You is best described as delicate. Very simply this film is about love.

As a British romantic comedy, Imagine Me and You will always draw comparisons to films such as Love Actually, Notting Hill and Four Weddings and Funeral but the level of reality portrayed in these films compared to Imagine Me and You is one of the major distinctions. Glittery moments, such as the doorstep scene between Keira Knightley and Andrew Lincon in Love Actually, are few and far between in the film, but this is by no means a criticism. The film never lacks any tenderness, in fact quite the contrary as it creates a greater impression of reality because of less ostentatious cinematography and mise-en scene. Occasionally the film falls into the trap of representing a very American idea of Britishness. The characters are all upper class Londoners, attractive, well-off with successful jobs. The male characters are foolish, awkward, hapless 'twits' but this does not detract from the charm of the film.

The film follows Rachel (Piper Perabo) her fiancé/husband Heck (Matthew Goode) and their wedding florist Luce (Lena Heady) who immediately has an impact on Rachel leading her to re-assess her seemingly perfect relationship.

The film honours love of different kinds. The love between Rachel and Heck, who are married at the beginning of the film is never disputed or questioned, they were best friends and this developed into a quite obvious love and adoration between the couple. Rachel loves Heck, but she is not *in* love with him. However, with Luce, Rachel experiences the instant, intense, exciting, passionate, all encompassing love at first sight. The fact that Rachel is experiencing this with a woman is not the issue, but rather that the first time Rachel catches Luce's eye is on her way down the aisle.

Unlike other films of the same genre, the characters are well developed and multi-layered. The comedy is typical foot-in-the-mouth humour, and silly one-liners, but is delivered with impeccable timing mostly by the parents. (Anthony Head plays an excellent aged Hugh Grant character and Celia Imrie is wonderful as a prim and proper, sharp mother.) The other performances are subtle, with all of the tenderness, heartbreak, humour, intensity and confusion that the script asked of the performers.

Imagine Me and You has high production values, is written and directed with care and sensitivity the truth isn't over thought, over polished, or softened and is a refreshing modern representation of love.

But of course, most important for a British viewer - Piper Perabo's accent is remarkably good.

Loved it! Best romantic comedy ever!

Author: ScullyM from United States
26 January 2006

I just went to a screening of this film at a local theater. I was ecstatic when I learned it would be available in my area. I've already secured tickets to two of the other showings.

I loved it! Absolutely fabulous!

I mean I came out of the theater thrilled (and dabbing my eyes) because it was way better than my expectations. I think it's one of the best romantic comedies that I've seen in a long time.

I'm so glad that it was made in the UK because the US would have drowned out so much of the sincerity. The film was great, really great. I connected with every character and loved each one. I was there and felt the pain, happiness, and love. I just loved it!

Piper and Lena have terrific chemistry which is undeniable.

I laughed, I cried... it moved me! Five stars!

A beautiful story that leaves you waiting and wondering when your soul mate will appear.

imagine me and you....go see it

Author: dmschreib from United States
15 February 2006

found this movie to be very entertaining and delightful...the acting is excellent and the lead actresses are completely captivating....what a pleasure to be able to see a lesbian-themed movie with a storyline that parallels any straight love story.....with all the sexual tension, sexual chemistry, and positive presentation that straight people have been given from the dawn of cinematic history.....you will fall in love with the actresses....you will thrill to their budding love and consummation of that love.....this movie will haunt you when you leave the theater....you may even want to see it again....it won't win any awards like "brokeback mountain".....i realize that, but it will make your day.....

No need to "Imagine" "Me & You" loving this movie, one of the years best and funniest movies

Author: Doctor_No from United States
28 January 2006

A witty and charming comedy about a woman ready for her wedding and soon stolen away after seeing an unsuspected and uninvited guest. The movie at first sounding typical with perhaps a few chuckles her and there but goes much further than that. Every scene has its own charming dash of comedy and delightful character development, an academy award nominee already. Although now it's limited to theaters but soon the fans will be lining up to see this laugh out loud and heat warming tale of true love. The actors do well over and highering my expectations to what great acting is. This, this is great acting. One of my new favorite movies and the years best. My final rating 10/10

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]