IMDb > Big Momma's House 2 (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Big Momma's House 2

Big Momma's House 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

It isn't Bottom 100 material.

Author: Rikakus from Mexico
10 February 2006

The movie isn't really that good. Most jokes fall flat and the film is predictable, but the movie still has it's laughs and it's enjoyable somehow.

Martin Lawrence gives a mediocre performance as most of everything he says isn't funny at all. Still, the movie has it's moments like the beer-loving chihuahua and that kid that was always falling.

The movie is mediocre, and I wouldn't pay $8 to watch it, but the movie is still watchable. The movie doesn't deserve to be on the Bottom 100 because the bottom 100 is made for painful movies, and this one is at least watchable.

Rating: 2 of 4 stars (Watchable.)

Good, Clean Fun

Author: pjh0704 from United States
10 February 2006

I howled at Big Momma's House. Did the same at BMH 2. If Lawrence does not genuinely enjoy playing this character, then he certainly deserves an Oscar because once he puts on that suit, he and Big Momma are "One." Does the plot make sense? Sure. As much sense as most other comedies of this type. Mrs. Doubtfire? The Pacifier? Deuce Bigelow? Most of Adam Sandler's films? Big Momma can hold her own, honey.

The sight gags in this one are even funnier than in the first. The Bo Derek beach scene had the audience rolling in the aisles. And that was just one of many. I especially liked the friendship that developed between Big Momma and the mother of the family she nannies for. Did anyone notice the mom's southern accent? It was a refreshing change from the humor that is usually milked from between outspoken black females and prissy white females. Good for you, Big Momma.

But Big Momma still does some funny ragging on white culture, as well as just yuppie culture of all colors. I don't agree at all with the poster who wondered why Martin Lawrence tries to portray an action hero. Personally, I thought Martin looked extremely fit in this film and found his stunt work and role as an FBI agent very believable. I found it to be a definite positive for the film as a whole.

Nia Long is feisty and as funny as she's allowed to be. On screen she and Lawrence work well together. The kids in this film are very, very good. Even the dog is funny. It's more of a feel-good movie than the first one and as a mom who plans to now take her kids, that's fine with me.

The bottom line: Lots of laughs if you're the kind of viewer who enjoys screwball comedies that aren't artsy and if you enjoy humor that plays upon cultural differences and experiences. Personally, I love Big Momma and would welcome her at my family reunion any time.

Really funny at parts

Author: jimenez-3 from Mexico
8 February 2006

You need to realize that this is not a smart comedy. It is silly and some impossible things happen. When you are going to see this film prepare yourself for that and you will enjoy it. It is impossible for anyone to change into a credible fat lady in less than an hour, much less in a few minutes. But you need to let that kind of stuff go so the comedy in it gets to you. The father of the kids just looks amazed at the things the nanny can do but does not try to help her. Again, don't try to make sense of it. There is a scene where I was about to wet my pants because I could not stop laughing, that is when Big Momma dresses up as Bo Derek in that famous scene in 10. I liked it and so can you.

Middling comedy with some surprises

Author: ladyinterference from San Antonio, TX, USA
17 March 2006

If you're looking for an intellectual comedy or even something with some actual substance to it, this is not the movie to go to. It is the type of movie you go to, to turn off your brain and just take in some escapist entertainment. It does the job decently, better than most of the other light comedies out there. But what really surprises is how relatively few stupid moments come throughout the movie. A lesser-quality movie would have gone for the easy jokes about dorky white people vs. smooth black people. A lesser flick would have had some of the characters be less perceptive and observant than they actually ended up turning out to be. Poorer-quality fare would have turned this movie into something approaching blaxploitation, where all parties involved ended up humiliated by the experience.

This didn't do any of the aforementioned. Certain characters who could have been written as dumber were actually written as credibly perceptive. Certain scenarios that could have been played out as ridiculous ended up being plausible. There was less of a black/white good vs. evil conundrum going on in this movie, and the suspense involved actually seemed worth it instead of just being suspense for suspense's sake. I don't think there was one moment in the whole film where I was rolling my eyes going, "OH COME ON," the way I was throughout the last film I was obliged to go see, this year's remake of Last Holiday.

Had the premise been more original, had the comedy been more sharply written, more intelligent, I would have been inclined to give this comedy ten stars. It really is one of the better commercial movies to be released in Hollywood over the last five years. It even manages to be better than its predecessor. However, the comedy was actually quite dull, pedestrian, uninvolved, and unintellectual, which means it earns six stars out of ten. Just barely passable, but a heck of a lot better than its contemporaries.

Certainly full of slapstick but plot could have used the work!!!

Author: tracker57 from United Kingdom
13 February 2006

After settling down into a desk job inside the FBI, former Field Agent Malcolm Turner (Martin Lawrence) defies orders to stay out of the investigation of his former partners death and travels to Orange County, California to go undercover as Big Momma, working for an unhappy woman (Emily Proctor) who is under investigation for the murder. Little did he realise that he would become attached to the dysfunctional family

After pouring myself a nice hot cup of tea, I settled down in the comfy chair of Screen 1 to brace myself for the print check and hopefully have some harmless viewing. The result; A relatively brain dead projectionist trying to get to grips of where the last hour and a half of his life disappeared to. Now, to tell you the truth, I've never been much of a big fan of Martin Lawrence to start with but, like Jeremy Clarkson driving from London to Edinburgh and back ECONOMICALLY, shocks are everywhere. For the first time ever, I actually found Martin Lawrence's humour quite funny. Giving the dog a bowlful of tequila gave me a bit of a tickle, as did Big Momma's 'Baywatch' style slow-mo run.

This is probably the only plus side on a film which lacked the power to keep a rather basic storyline going. The characters created weren't complex enough. The family consisted of three children. One who was 3 and wasn't able to speak, which you undoubtedly knew he would by the end. The 8 year old girl was a wannabe dancer, and there was a troubled teen, who would stop her rebellious ways by the end of the movie. Emily Proctor's acting throughout the film was, to be truthful, pretty lame. It's like she took Calleigh Duquesne's character from CSI: Miami and just took all of the weapons expertise out of it. No original work was added to the character.

To sum up, this is a sequel that should have been left WELL alone. If you are of the type of mind that requires a film that will challenge you, I'd look elsewhere. Laughter is guaranteed as this film's storyline is clearly based around Big Momma, allowing Martin Lawrence breathing space to play with the character, but there were never any genuine references to the original film.

very lame but sometimes funny

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
25 May 2006

Some of the greatest movie comedies of all time have revolved around men dressing up in drag and trying to pass themselves off as women ("Some Like It Hot" and "Tootsie" being the prime examples). Ironically, that's also been the basis for some of the worst comedies ever made ("White Chicks" being the prime example I can think of at the moment). Somewhere in the middle lie the Big Momma movies, both the original, made in 2000,and the sequel from 2006, creatively entitled "Big Momma's House 2." Once again, Martin Lawrence stars as the FBI agent who this time goes undercover as a nanny to the children of a man who may be involved in some sort of major threat to national security (yawn!).

In turns of its storyline, the movie falls somewhere between "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Mary Poppins," with Big Momma managing to heal the rift in the family and making the neglectful father a model parent by the end of the film. The crime scenario is beyond stupid and leads to a whole host of idiotic slapstick scenes involving Big Momma taking on the gun-wielding bad guys, but if you have a high level of tolerance for this sort of thing, "Big Momma's House 2" should provide you with a good share of laughs amid all the clunkers.

Lawrence exhibits a great deal of energy in the role of Big Momma, but he never brings the kind of insight and believability to the part that Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis or Dustin Hoffman managed to do in their respective turns at cross dressing comedy. Unfortunately, Lawrence's portrayal is all surface imitation, utterly devoid of the kind of subtle shading that might suggest he had actually gotten in touch with his character. This film would be a trifle less innocuous if it hadn't been done so much better already.

Big Momma's House 2

Author: from United Kingdom
3 March 2006

Bad film ? only occasionally funny ? rubbish ! this film is hilarious , its so funny , the cinema was in tears watching it . Martin Lawrence is hilarious . Big Momma is a great character , she is really funny . This film really is a must see for comedy fans , because it's really not bad its great . You really will enjoy this film . It's funny , younger kids and teenagers will love it , but adult will like it too , its something for everyone who likes comedy .Martin Lawrence is great and his character is a great laugh . If you want to go see a comedy , make Big Momma's House 2 the film . Go see it and vote !!! You won't regret seeing this movie !!!

A sequel we never wanted.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
12 May 2008

My Take: Did we really need a sequel to BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE?

BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE II is yet another example of unnecessary "ka-ching!" sequel from Hollywood that we never needed. Although funny at times with Martin Lawrence around, there's no reason at all to see it, whether you've seen the first film or not. Few jokes, usually repetitive, make a complete waste of time (even if it only runs for 99 min.).

One of the film's flaws is its confusion about what it is. It's about Martin Lawrence's character, FBI agent Malcolm Turner, throwin' in the old Big Momma costume once more to go undercover. His mission is to investigate a woman (Emily Proctor), who's husband may be involved with a murder case. But the film lags with sappiness that, when it gets to the very serious side, it's confused and just plain lame.

Martin Lawrence is still pretty funny, making some of those tired old humor quite effective. Lawrence has that zing that makes these old puns lively. But even Lawrence, funny as he is, is only one aspect that is possibly right about the film. The rest, the lame comedy script and the lame direction make up for a lousy comedy. Younger audiences will be amused by Lawrence, as much as preteens, but there are other films with the same appeal, and some and most of which are better, way better!

Rating: * out of 5.

maybe I'm the lowest common denominator....

Author: lewthewho from somewhere in the south pacific.....
18 February 2006

I went along with my friend to see this movie, and we found it hilarious! and so did most of the people in the cinema with us, (apart from the people in front of us, they didn't see the movie, they were sucking each others braces out)

The movie follows an FBI agent who becomes a nanny to the children of a wanted criminal, oh did we mention the nanny is a man dressed up as a woman?

In some areas of the movie i found the plot quite similar, i saw traces of 'Mrs Doubtfire'(obviously) and in one sequence (the club scene) i felt was very similar to 'Bringin down the house' but this did not compensate its entertainment value

This movie got quite a lot of bad reviews saying it-was childish rubbish and to low brow, but i and the really packed cinema, found it really funny, i dunno, maybe I'm the lowest common denominator....

but in the end, i would go see it, just for some easy laughs,

Actually, I thought this one was funnier than the first

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
28 November 2006

My friends and I started watching Big Mama's House 2 a couple months ago, but we never got to finish, and in some ways I was glad because I usually like to see the first film before I see the sequel. Most times you feel like you have missed out on so much and you might not understand the humor. So I rented Big Mama's House and was sorely disappointed, I was really nervous and was thinking that maybe I didn't want to see the second one. But my friend insisted that I see it and to give it a shot.

Malcom is back and this time he's a safety teacher who has felt like he's lost his edge, but he has made a promise to his wife since she is pregnant. But when he finds out there is an investigation on a top secret defense CD being released to some very bad men, he goes undercover as Big Mama to be the man who has the CD and his family. He lies to his wife and work and the family he is caring for, but ends up saving the day for everyone.

I have to say that I honestly laughed a lot more in the second Big Mama's House more than the first one. This one seemed just more light hearted and it was fun, despite it being predictable, I think more should give this movie a better chance, because in my opinion this was better and well thought out more than the first.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]