IMDb > Red Eye (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Red Eye

Red Eye More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 68: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

"For Fear Fly Fresh Air"...or, just wait until the plane lands!!!

Author: Knewsense78 from Mass
23 May 2006

Let me just start by saying that RED EYE is a nifty (if somewhat preposterous) thriller that plays better when the plane is not in flight.

The lovely Rachel McAdams stars as Lisa Reisert. Lisa works at Lux America, an upscale hotel in Miami, Florida. She is on her way back to Miami when her plane is delayed. While waiting in line, she meets Jackson Rippner (Cillian Murphy '28 DAYS LATER'-and yes, there is a joke about "Jack the Ripper", ha-ha!!), a man that seems to know a little bit about her if only to ease her mind a bit. But, he really does know something about her (a lot actually) and where she works. Jack is a bad guy who needs Lisa's help. Seems a politician is staying at Lux America and Jack needs to sit up everything to make his assassination go off without a hitch. How, you may be asking, does he get Lisa to help him? By planting an assassin outside of her father's house and threatening to have him offed if she doesn't comply. Naturally, she has to comply to save her father's life and soon makes the phone call Jack wants her to. That call is to have the politician and his family put in another room so the assassins (Jack doesn't work alone) can blow them to smithereens with a rocket launcher.

I will end that part now. I liked this movie but I found some of it to be preposterous. The part where Jack head butts Lisa on the plane to knock her unconscious was one of them. A plane full of passengers and not one of them saw this? I would think at least one person would notice. I know it was the RED EYE flight (hence the title) but not everyone on that plane was sleeping. And I liked this better when the plane landed. That's when the real fun began. Oh well. I still say "watch it." Don't let the 1 hour and 25 minute run time fool you though. Actual running time from opening title to end scene is about 1 hour 16 minutes and 45 seconds. That means the end credits run pretty near to 10 minutes.

I liked it

Author: WestMike from Germany
18 May 2006

Reason why Wes Craven got me this time (again) was that I was not expecting so much of a good thrill from this movie. The characters are believable, the story is straight and does not get exaggerated and the FX are in scope of the whole picture. I liked best the claustrophobic journey on plane which even delivered better than "Flightplan" because the plot was not this much constructed.

Funnily enough, maybe due to location, I was reminded more than once of Miami Vice at its best, with some heavy weapon carrying villains, two good guys (Lisa and Cynthia) and some funny pals like the odd couple complaining at hotel reception all the time.

If Hollywood finds back its good tradition of nice little films with a good thrill like here - well I'm happy. Thanks, Mr. Craven and see you next time. 7/10

No Blood?!?!?!

Author: OhSoLovelyx3 from United States
13 May 2006

Although the movie was good there is like no blood at all. When Jackson smacked Lisa's head against the wall and knocked her out to keep her from yelling for help she

didn't bleed at all, but Jackson smacks his head on the ceiling and he bleeds for a second then it goes away.

Also when she finally fights back and stabs him with the pen there is absolutely no blood at all. When you have a pen stuck in your wind pipe how in the world can you run after a woman for like 2 hours IT MAKES NO SENSE!!! Also did'nt Jackson have any other way of defense against an old woman or Lisa I mean what was with the banging heads and knocking them out? I don't know...but my favorite character was the little girl on her first airplane trip by herself, I loved how she tripped him and was like "What? What are you staring at???"

Anyways, Other then the lack of realism the movie was good I liked it.

Nice thriller.

Author: giomanombre from Canada
8 May 2006

Having seen this movie three times over, I would have to say that I really enjoyed the interplay with the two lead characters Rachael McAdams, and the other guy. Rachael has been already rated as one of the sexiest actresses, and she seemed to have great chemistry with the antagonist. The musical scores were brilliant.

The best thing I liked about this movie is the way the plot progressed when they were both on the airplane and how the guy would calmly tell her, that he is doing his job, and start freaking out Lisa with the revelation of who he is, and that her father is in danger. This is not a spoiler, as this was seen in the movie trailers, and is understood to be the premise of the movie. So that whole interplay, where the good guy is tranformed to a rotten bad buy transforming this into a 'Phone Booth' really made the film.

The director's commentary suggests that the 'eye-play' between the lead characters, or what is not spoken, is about the strength of the drama, and I found the facial expressions seemed to come across as real. So, the musical score, chemistry of actors/actresses, and the overall premise of the movie, and the 'feel' makes me give it an 8/10 rating.

Despite the lower ratings, the movie had a viscerial type of feel to it, it wasn't too long, and was paced right, so you leave the movie with a feeling of experience that you went someplace, and in essence, that is the most important aspect of a movie with me.

Fresh movie

Author: joedamato-1 (joedamato@mail.ru) from Yerevan, Armenia
7 May 2006

For me there are two kinds of Wes Craven recently - a horror maker, and simply my favorite director. Basically I liked his movies first time after "Scream 2" and my first impression of him was more about thriller and not horror. Frankly I always considered Wes more intelligent than any other ordinary horror director because of his ability to expose everything in kind of optimistic and bright way if you know what I mean. Red eye in this way is a glaring example of that it has never been Craven's dream to direct horror movies. "It wasn't my lifelong dream to become a horror director or a scariest guy in the world, it just happens, it seemed the most logical thing in the world to step out of it, literally step rather than leap, would be to do a thriller" I quote him. The plot is about the accomplishment of political murder. A girl is terrorized to redeem some demands or else she's risking her father's life. I frankly enjoyed this movie as well as Craven's other works. "Cursed" wasn't bad but I prefer this one much better. It was nice to hear Wes has plans to step out of genre and start making other movies. It all started with Music of the heart. It continues with Red eye. Nice work, Wes. Regards, Jakob.

Highly recommended 10 out of 10!

Straightforward but entertaining movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
18 April 2006

Rachel McAdams is impressive as Lisa Reisert, having traveled from Miami to Dallas for her grandmother's funeral. She is traveling back, weather delays the flight, and she ends up being on a "red eye" to arrive in early morning. She was a skater in her earlier life and it shows when she is required to run through the airport at one point. Unlike many females, she really looks like an athlete. She looked like she could have been a track star.

I always find it interesting when foreign actors are chosen to play American roles. Cillian Murphy, Irish, is good and scary as Jackson Rippner (a take on Jack the Ripper), businessman traveling along side Lisa. And Scot Brian Cox who plays Joe Reisert, Lisa's dad.

It is not possible to comment on this movie without discussing spoilers, so the rest contain SPOILERS.

In a plan to kill the director of homeland security, including his whole family, Lisa who directs reservations and the front desk at the hotel, must move them from their usual room to a different one with a view of the ocean (or bay?). Since they know Lisa, she has their trust. But Lisa's incentive is her father, who is being watched. He will be killed if she doesn't cooperate. But if she does, the other family dies. All this was to be worked out by Rippner with Lisa in Miami, but the grandmother's death and resulting flight back made it necessary to work this out on the flight.

Lisa uses all the ingenuity she has, finally as the flight lands she jams a ball point pen into Rippner's voice box, and runs to escape the plane and the airport. She hurries home, to find the assassin at her doorstep, she runs over him with a car she "borrowed" at the airport as a man was dropping off his wife. Inside she encountered Rippner and her unconscious dad, in a protracted cat and mouse game, she and her dad gain the upper hand, she manages to call the hotel and get the family out right before a boat on the water launched a portable missile intended to kill the family. The bad guys all die, except the ones on the boat. Maybe they were caught later??

Surprisingly good Wes Craven suspense...

Author: etsm92 from United States
15 April 2006

Red Eye/2005/***

Main Stars: Cillian Murphy Rachel McAdams

Wes Craven's Red Eye is what I call a "not-so-original" screenplay film. No, no, no don't get me wrong the film is good it's just the screenplay could have been a bit more creative. But in this film you have to pay attention to the ACTING NOT the ACTION. Because not only does the screenplay make the film but the acting does the same. And in this film Rachel McAdams does a spectacular acting job and so does Cillian Murphy. Now this isn't like Wes Craven. When he was young he did violent "slasher" films mainly regarding Freddy Krueger. One was the terribly stupid A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) involving people dreaming about being slashed by Freddy. Or was it a dream? Oh, shut up! The film was stupid. Wes Craven is doing a wise thing going to suspense like this "surprisingly good" film. When I saw the previews for this, I told myself, "Is this really worth seeing? Or is it just one of those crappy horrors again?" I didn't know what to answer. So I saw it on OnDemand and I thought "Surprisingly good!" No, sorry, won't become a classic, never. But still an enjoyable film to watch, no doubt. As Rachel McAdams's character gets ready to take a flight on the "red eye"- or really early morning flight, she meets with a suspicious guy. Uh-oh, there's gotta be something that'll happen between them. I have to say Cillian reminds me a bit of Hannibal Lector. He seems to like to get inside people's heads just like Hannibal Lector did in his cell asking Clarice about the lambs. "I go outside and I heard screaming." Clarice says. "I open the door to the barn and saw lambs-" "And what were they doing, C l a r i c e?" "The lambs were s c r e a m i n g." "And you think if you catch Buffalo Bill that you'll be able to silence the lambs screaming?"(close-up of his face) "Yes…" Clarice adds unsurely. "Thank you C l a r i c e. The way he says Clarice is rather freaky but great! The Silence of the Lambs has to be one of my favorite suspense films of all time! This one is good but did it win any awards? No. Will it become a classic? No. It is well-known yet not a classic but things can change can't they…? So the film keeps your eyes super glued to the TV in some scenes especially when the music makes the loud edgy horror sound that may be freaky… BUM! Why do films still do that? That's probably one of the lamest sounds and got old in the early 70s with the fake horror films that had it constantly. So the film impressed me with the acting, the "GET-RIGHT-TO-THE-POINT" scenes, Wes Craven style. The ending was intense and well-done with a funny line to end the film which I agreed on 100%. So after the intense plane flight and BUM! scenes, it was actually rather entertaining to watch and learn what would happen if Rachel McAdams made that call, or what would happen to Cillian with a pen in his throat, stuff like that that are actually fun to ask and get the answer to. If you haven't seen it, you should and see if this is better than A Nightmare on Elm Street or did I already answer that for you? Movie directed by Wes Craven.

Wes Craven New Thriller.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
11 April 2006

Wes Craven regains some of his luster with this effective little thriller that is only marred by it's ending. Two people, who have never met, board a plane; one is going home to see her father and the other wants to use her to kill a politician who is bugging his clients. The two necessities for an effective thriller are a small space and a freight train of a plot. Both are in this movie. A plane is perfect for a thriller, a box in the sky where people who know nothing about each other are huddled together for hours and there basically only two characters. But once the two leave the plane, the tension is broken and the movie never fully recovers. Brian Cox is fine, but his part is underwritten, Cillian Murphy appears to the new it villain, and Rachel McAdams is in the movie. What would have been great is if Brian Cox had been on the plane, in a different area. We never would have had to leave the plane. But qualms aside, this is a thriller that actually lives up to it's genre.

P.S. Having McAdams character be a rape victim and simply throwing that in there without any development is manipulative in all the wrong ways. It subversively turns the second half of the movie into a men vs. women finale, which would be fine if it didn't come across as a quickie way to make the woman into a wrecking ball.

Sexy Thriller

Author: knight_armour
9 April 2006

Rachel McAdams is so lovely. I didn't recall she was the girl in, 'The Hot Chick' but my attraction to her stretches to even this movie where she barely shows any skin. Anyway, she's filled up a little now but is still as sweet as a peach until she realizes "Scarecrow" wants her to do something mean for him. The suspense builds up as we follow Lisa (Rachel) through her ordeal dealing with her spooky-eyed captor. The movie runs a little short and lacks some plot development but overall it's enough to keep your attention. Similar in some ways to Flight Plan, I think Rachel McAdams would have done better there and Jodie Foster here. I didn't like the part where Lisa implies she had been raped once before because I'd hate for such a thing to happen to a sweet, lovely girl like her. Overall, I'm sick of Hollywood trying to shove the 'tough girl' persona in our face movie after movie. Yes, women can be tough and even killers but do we really need to see it all the time? To be fair, I don't like it when they are portrayed as completely helpless either. This movie touches both extremes at the beginning and end.

It's much more than you can expect...Just great!

Author: madalenasanches from Portugal
4 April 2006

I think this movie is great. I believe it must be very hard to do a movie were the main characters sit on a plain 2/3 of the film, because you have to do original things to make the viewers interested. It's a very good work. I love Cillian Murphy and I just have to say that his performance is really needed in the movie. If the actor who played Rippner wasn't scary and also exciting as Cillian is, I think that the movie wouldn't be the same. Same thing for Rachel McAdams. Loved it.

You know, this could be one of those action movies where a guy wants a girl's help to kill a man. But it's more than that...much more. It's a very complicated movie, with very complicated characters. There's so much anger and stress. MUST SEE!