IMDb > Red Eye (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Red Eye

Red Eye More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 67: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Fresh movie

Author: joedamato-1 (joedamato@mail.ru) from Yerevan, Armenia
7 May 2006

For me there are two kinds of Wes Craven recently - a horror maker, and simply my favorite director. Basically I liked his movies first time after "Scream 2" and my first impression of him was more about thriller and not horror. Frankly I always considered Wes more intelligent than any other ordinary horror director because of his ability to expose everything in kind of optimistic and bright way if you know what I mean. Red eye in this way is a glaring example of that it has never been Craven's dream to direct horror movies. "It wasn't my lifelong dream to become a horror director or a scariest guy in the world, it just happens, it seemed the most logical thing in the world to step out of it, literally step rather than leap, would be to do a thriller" I quote him. The plot is about the accomplishment of political murder. A girl is terrorized to redeem some demands or else she's risking her father's life. I frankly enjoyed this movie as well as Craven's other works. "Cursed" wasn't bad but I prefer this one much better. It was nice to hear Wes has plans to step out of genre and start making other movies. It all started with Music of the heart. It continues with Red eye. Nice work, Wes. Regards, Jakob.

Highly recommended 10 out of 10!

Straightforward but entertaining movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
18 April 2006

Rachel McAdams is impressive as Lisa Reisert, having traveled from Miami to Dallas for her grandmother's funeral. She is traveling back, weather delays the flight, and she ends up being on a "red eye" to arrive in early morning. She was a skater in her earlier life and it shows when she is required to run through the airport at one point. Unlike many females, she really looks like an athlete. She looked like she could have been a track star.

I always find it interesting when foreign actors are chosen to play American roles. Cillian Murphy, Irish, is good and scary as Jackson Rippner (a take on Jack the Ripper), businessman traveling along side Lisa. And Scot Brian Cox who plays Joe Reisert, Lisa's dad.

It is not possible to comment on this movie without discussing spoilers, so the rest contain SPOILERS.

In a plan to kill the director of homeland security, including his whole family, Lisa who directs reservations and the front desk at the hotel, must move them from their usual room to a different one with a view of the ocean (or bay?). Since they know Lisa, she has their trust. But Lisa's incentive is her father, who is being watched. He will be killed if she doesn't cooperate. But if she does, the other family dies. All this was to be worked out by Rippner with Lisa in Miami, but the grandmother's death and resulting flight back made it necessary to work this out on the flight.

Lisa uses all the ingenuity she has, finally as the flight lands she jams a ball point pen into Rippner's voice box, and runs to escape the plane and the airport. She hurries home, to find the assassin at her doorstep, she runs over him with a car she "borrowed" at the airport as a man was dropping off his wife. Inside she encountered Rippner and her unconscious dad, in a protracted cat and mouse game, she and her dad gain the upper hand, she manages to call the hotel and get the family out right before a boat on the water launched a portable missile intended to kill the family. The bad guys all die, except the ones on the boat. Maybe they were caught later??

Surprisingly good Wes Craven suspense...

Author: etsm92 from United States
15 April 2006

Red Eye/2005/***

Main Stars: Cillian Murphy Rachel McAdams

Wes Craven's Red Eye is what I call a "not-so-original" screenplay film. No, no, no don't get me wrong the film is good it's just the screenplay could have been a bit more creative. But in this film you have to pay attention to the ACTING NOT the ACTION. Because not only does the screenplay make the film but the acting does the same. And in this film Rachel McAdams does a spectacular acting job and so does Cillian Murphy. Now this isn't like Wes Craven. When he was young he did violent "slasher" films mainly regarding Freddy Krueger. One was the terribly stupid A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) involving people dreaming about being slashed by Freddy. Or was it a dream? Oh, shut up! The film was stupid. Wes Craven is doing a wise thing going to suspense like this "surprisingly good" film. When I saw the previews for this, I told myself, "Is this really worth seeing? Or is it just one of those crappy horrors again?" I didn't know what to answer. So I saw it on OnDemand and I thought "Surprisingly good!" No, sorry, won't become a classic, never. But still an enjoyable film to watch, no doubt. As Rachel McAdams's character gets ready to take a flight on the "red eye"- or really early morning flight, she meets with a suspicious guy. Uh-oh, there's gotta be something that'll happen between them. I have to say Cillian reminds me a bit of Hannibal Lector. He seems to like to get inside people's heads just like Hannibal Lector did in his cell asking Clarice about the lambs. "I go outside and I heard screaming." Clarice says. "I open the door to the barn and saw lambs-" "And what were they doing, C l a r i c e?" "The lambs were s c r e a m i n g." "And you think if you catch Buffalo Bill that you'll be able to silence the lambs screaming?"(close-up of his face) "Yes…" Clarice adds unsurely. "Thank you C l a r i c e. The way he says Clarice is rather freaky but great! The Silence of the Lambs has to be one of my favorite suspense films of all time! This one is good but did it win any awards? No. Will it become a classic? No. It is well-known yet not a classic but things can change can't they…? So the film keeps your eyes super glued to the TV in some scenes especially when the music makes the loud edgy horror sound that may be freaky… BUM! Why do films still do that? That's probably one of the lamest sounds and got old in the early 70s with the fake horror films that had it constantly. So the film impressed me with the acting, the "GET-RIGHT-TO-THE-POINT" scenes, Wes Craven style. The ending was intense and well-done with a funny line to end the film which I agreed on 100%. So after the intense plane flight and BUM! scenes, it was actually rather entertaining to watch and learn what would happen if Rachel McAdams made that call, or what would happen to Cillian with a pen in his throat, stuff like that that are actually fun to ask and get the answer to. If you haven't seen it, you should and see if this is better than A Nightmare on Elm Street or did I already answer that for you? Movie directed by Wes Craven.

Wes Craven New Thriller.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
11 April 2006

Wes Craven regains some of his luster with this effective little thriller that is only marred by it's ending. Two people, who have never met, board a plane; one is going home to see her father and the other wants to use her to kill a politician who is bugging his clients. The two necessities for an effective thriller are a small space and a freight train of a plot. Both are in this movie. A plane is perfect for a thriller, a box in the sky where people who know nothing about each other are huddled together for hours and there basically only two characters. But once the two leave the plane, the tension is broken and the movie never fully recovers. Brian Cox is fine, but his part is underwritten, Cillian Murphy appears to the new it villain, and Rachel McAdams is in the movie. What would have been great is if Brian Cox had been on the plane, in a different area. We never would have had to leave the plane. But qualms aside, this is a thriller that actually lives up to it's genre.

P.S. Having McAdams character be a rape victim and simply throwing that in there without any development is manipulative in all the wrong ways. It subversively turns the second half of the movie into a men vs. women finale, which would be fine if it didn't come across as a quickie way to make the woman into a wrecking ball.

Sexy Thriller

Author: knight_armour
9 April 2006

Rachel McAdams is so lovely. I didn't recall she was the girl in, 'The Hot Chick' but my attraction to her stretches to even this movie where she barely shows any skin. Anyway, she's filled up a little now but is still as sweet as a peach until she realizes "Scarecrow" wants her to do something mean for him. The suspense builds up as we follow Lisa (Rachel) through her ordeal dealing with her spooky-eyed captor. The movie runs a little short and lacks some plot development but overall it's enough to keep your attention. Similar in some ways to Flight Plan, I think Rachel McAdams would have done better there and Jodie Foster here. I didn't like the part where Lisa implies she had been raped once before because I'd hate for such a thing to happen to a sweet, lovely girl like her. Overall, I'm sick of Hollywood trying to shove the 'tough girl' persona in our face movie after movie. Yes, women can be tough and even killers but do we really need to see it all the time? To be fair, I don't like it when they are portrayed as completely helpless either. This movie touches both extremes at the beginning and end.

It's much more than you can expect...Just great!

Author: madalenasanches from Portugal
4 April 2006

I think this movie is great. I believe it must be very hard to do a movie were the main characters sit on a plain 2/3 of the film, because you have to do original things to make the viewers interested. It's a very good work. I love Cillian Murphy and I just have to say that his performance is really needed in the movie. If the actor who played Rippner wasn't scary and also exciting as Cillian is, I think that the movie wouldn't be the same. Same thing for Rachel McAdams. Loved it.

You know, this could be one of those action movies where a guy wants a girl's help to kill a man. But it's more than that...much more. It's a very complicated movie, with very complicated characters. There's so much anger and stress. MUST SEE!

Entertaining if unlikely thriller

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
22 February 2006

"Red Eye" is about a young woman named Lisa (played by Rachel McAdams) who boards a flight and finds herself seated next to a charming man named Jack Rippner (Cillian Murphy).

I knew little about the movie from its original trailer, which passed itself off as a supernatural horror film (with the glowing red eyes and title and Wes Craven being attached to it), however the movie is a surprisingly human and down-to-earth thriller - a bit like an old Hitchcock movie, it doesn't take itself too seriously, is well-directed, intelligent and really zips along at breakneck speed.

The performances are all good and Murphy (fresh off Batman Begins) plays yet another eerie, creepy bad guy. Rachel McAdams (Wedding Crashers) is a revelation and manages to do exactly what so many actresses fail at in thrillers these days - come across as realistic.

The movie is not brilliant by any means, but isn't pretentious or cloying. It's quick, it's clever, and it's never insulting. It is classy, has good-direction and really surprising performances. I wouldn't want to watch it all the time but it was a nice distraction from the noise of this year's blockbusters, being the rare, timid - but equally exciting - white-knuckle thriller.

Red Eye

Author: whatvr48 from Canada
12 February 2006

I felt the movie did not give enough background to the plot line, not enough info about the background of the characters and no info about some of the characters. It moved a little too fast from start to finish I thought. Good simple entertainment value, but more substance would have made it a better movie. The variety of personalities of characters was sufficient. Sets were well done. Lots of action, but moved too quickly. Good story basically, just needed more background of where and why certain events happened. Like - why did they want to assassinate the Home Land Security person.........not enough info. You don't just assassinate someone because you don't like them.

A Pleasant surprise - a jewel compared to the normal Hollywood garbage

Author: okieindian from United States
23 January 2006

I rented Red Eye because I had three free movies coming. Two for the Money was pretty darn good.. Shooting Gallery sucks.. but Red Eye was a terrific movie.. It shows what a little class can accomplish. It is a totally entertaining movie, has great moments and good moments and better still, for the most part, it keeps the viewer interested. Cillian Murphy as a bad guy did not fit because he does not "look" the part, but as it progressed he convinced me. Rachel McAdams was great. Okay, so I do not buy the little woman beating up on the bad guy and almost winning bit, but then Murphy should not be that hard to beat up on. Sorry, that wasn't nice. This is probably one of Wes Craven's best and I'm sure it will not get the recognition it deserves from the pseudo-intellectuals, read that elitist snobs, but I'll recommend to everyone I know. Great job guys.. thank you for keeping the language as clean as you did.

No masterpiece but still a nifty little thriller

Author: krorie from Van Buren, Arkansas
10 January 2006

Wes Craven is no journeyman but at times his movies seem to be made by someone of that caliber. This time around Craven sticks to the bare bones of cinema and comes out a winner, with suspense, mystery, thrills, and best of all a few laughs. Though variations of the script have been used many times in the past, Craven keeps the action going and throws in enough twists and turns to hold our interest. The film is fairly short at 85 minutes but would possibly have been better at 60 minutes. There is a bit too much time devoted to the plane ride, even though that's where the title originates.

Cillian Murphy plays one of the most inept kidnappers/hit men ever. Though his performance is satisfactory, it seemed overplayed at times. The same is true of Rachel McAdams' acting. A standout performance is given by newcomer to the big screen Jayma Mays. She has a promising movie career ahead of her. She exudes naiveté with a determination to succeed in the pivotal role of Cynthia. The rest of the cast is sufficient for the roles played.

One distraction: Who came up with the name "Fresh Air" for the airlines? It's not funny, just corny. Even FA Airlines would have been preferable.