IMDb > Red Eye (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Red Eye

Red Eye More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 68: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Terrific

Author: Cean E. Lumbaca
13 August 2016

I've known Wes Craven through his iconic films such as Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Red Eye for me came as a surprise.

Although shallow, the film had me at the edge of my seat. The last few moments of the movie were thrilling. It was a breath of fresh air for Craven to direct a film like Red Eye.

I also like the movie set inside an airplane, at the airport, and in the hotel - I come from the hospitality sector and this film is somewhat a good vibe to me seeing those places.

Cillian Murphy's acting is great and intimidating. He's mysterious and manipulative. On the other hand, Rachel McAdams is also okay but I think she needs more practice when it comes to thrillers because she's known for comedies and chick-flicks.

Overall, the movie is terrific.

Been There, Done That, Did It Well

Author: inspectors71 from Fly-Over Country
3 May 2016

A tidy little piece of entertainment, Wes Craven's Red Eye tells the story of hotel manager Rachel McAdams being used by a group of terrorists--headed by charming sociopath Cillian Murphy--to assassinate the Secretary of Homeland Security.

The thing that makes Red Eye work is that, even though you've seen the Hitchcockian nobody getting caught up in big, nasty things many times before, Craven keeps the pace so fast and the time so short (under 90 minutes), that you don't have time to ponder absurdities and slickeries and plot-holeries.

Red Eye beats its contemporary, Flight Plan, by doing it better. The only false note is the whiney couple at the end who apparently didn't notice all the Feds and the cops and the VIPs and the smoke milling about before they pitch a hissy at McAdams for a ruined experience at the swanky hotel.

If that's my whole gripe list, I need a drink from the airport bar.

Two decent lead performances somehow manage to make this thriller almost watchable.

Author: Artless_Dodger from United Kingdom
23 January 2016

Our heroine (Rachel McAdams) is kidnapped whilst on a flight and forced to assist our baddie (Cillian Murphy) in his dastardly plot. Two decent lead performances are poorly served by an unbelievable story but somehow manage to make this thriller almost watchable.

Wes Craven forsakes his usual genre but applies his thrill a minute approach to this psychological thriller. It works to some extent but an implausible story simply becomes more and more ludicrous. By the time we reach the finale we could almost be on Elm Street.

Cillian Murphy does well initially, making his character suitably unnerving, but there's a limit as to how much he can do with his role. Rachel McAdams as feisty Lisa Reisert is vulnerable yet resourceful, and proves yet again that she is worth much better material than she's offered.

Worth a watch if you really have nothing else worthwhile to do. Otherwise, give it a miss.

This one gets better with age

Author: pwalkerfm from United States
26 October 2015

When Red Eye first came out I thought it was somewhat cheesy and lacking in any scriptural integrity. However, revisiting this 10 years later has changed my mind. It actually is quite a nice thriller, with the action starting very early, even before they board the plane. You understand the Cillian Murphy character is "off" almost from the outset. Great thrillers offer subtle humor as well, and this one does in droves. While I love aviation movies, most of the action appears after the plane lands. But that is OK, as the movie keeps up the pace throughout. A nice, tight suspense film with (yes, some questionable acting here and there), but overall a nice suspense/thriller.

Effective but overall simply a run-of-the-mill thriller

Author: vostf (vik@noos.fr) from Paris, Fr
13 April 2014

Red Eye is pretty well done, Rachel McAdams is perfect as usual - maybe we could have hoped to see her showing something different in the end - and Cillian Murphy is great. Except that when you cast Cillian Murphy it gives away some of the plot.

I don't think it's me but I had not read the synopsis before watching Red Eye and I was expecting Jackson Rippner (Murphy) to be an evil psychopath from the moment he entered the frame. This could be a good thing with some plots but here I think the flimsy script definitely requires an actor that you can mistake for a good guy.

The plot is really thin and they did a good job to make a movie lasting more than 75 minutes because the script is only worth a MOW slot. Except it is never cheap with fine direction and great leads. In the end you may have enjoyed it while it lasted but the suspense was not that tense after all (there's the main action in the plane + two other important locations) and eventually it simply feels unoriginal and unimpressive.

Terrific Turbulence!

Author: rbrb
23 August 2013

This is a super edge-of-the seat thriller.

Plot to kill a politician using an innocent woman on a plane to assist in the assassination.

Brilliant direction, with most of the best scenes of the movie in the air which are realistic and exciting.

The two main leads: a baddie and a goodie, who equally steal the show.

What I like about this film is that its beautifully crafted and filmed, with a tight script and no unnecessary sub plots etc.

This is the kind of thriller that viewers want and it deserves top marks: 8/10

The wonderfully expressive acting carries the show

Author: phd_travel from United States
21 August 2013

This is a thoroughly entertaining thriller. A hotel manager (Rachel McAdams) is blackmailed by an assassin (Cillian Murphy) while on an airplane trip to assist in the killing of a politician.

Wes craven directs and shows he is just at good at non gory thrillers as horror movies. The part on the airplane shows off the wonderfully expressive faces of the two stars the lovely and believable Rachel McAdams and the fascinatingly creepy Cillian Murphy with those eyes. Rachel can do any kind of movie from romance to thriller to comedy. If ever there was chemistry between villain and victim this movie has it. Their dialog is well written. The part in the house later recalls the Scream movies but is more realistic. Watch out for Jayma Mays from Glee in a supporting role.

Highly recommended.

Suspenseful!

Author: C_Nugabu from Hungary
20 July 2013

I finally decided to check out 'Red Eye' last night and I have to honestly admit that it is not too bad.

The concept is not bad, and although it is not completely plausible, the only people calling it out are the ones that dislike the movie, although they ignore plausibility if they love a movie (read: people love The Ring and it's about a little girl haunting a video tape). Government overthrows and assassinations do happen, and I'm sure that whoever would do such would take each and every measure possible to make it untraceable and carried out well, even stalking for weeks and holding someone hostage on a flight.

The acting was also well done. Gillian Murphy and Rachel MacAdams played their characters very well. I was convinced that she was very scared and that he was very crazy.

Also, we must not forget that this is a Wes Craven movie. Wes Craven has never taken himself too seriously (look at the Scream series) as far as being ridiculously scary. This movie is not a horror film, it is a suspense, and it does it well. At the same time, there are one-liners that are hilarious when delivered by Cillian Murphy.

This movie was great to watch and had my friends and I constantly cheering, for both the absurdity of what was happening and for the screenwriter to have the gall to write in some of the things he did.

I highly suggest this movie for all to watch. An original plot, great performances all around.

A diverting thriller.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
15 June 2013

Veteran filmmaker Wes Craven rebounded from the disappointing "Cursed" with another rare excursion outside the horror genre. "Red Eye" is a movie that offers quite a bit of fun provided nobody ever takes it that seriously. It gets a lot of juice out of the relationship between its two principals, who both do a wonderful job. The editing and the pacing are first-rate, resulting in a quick movie that clocks in at just over 85 minutes.

The adorable and gorgeous Rachel McAdams is our victimized heroine Lisa Reisert, a confident hotel manager who knows how to work with people and who does what it takes to satisfy the customer. Returning from her grandmothers' funeral, she takes an early morning flight home to Miami, and is seated alongside a young man, Jackson Rippner (Cillian Murphy) with whom she'd already got acquainted in the airport. During the flight Rippner reveals himself to be a real bad guy, working in league with terrorists attempting to assassinate a straight shooting public figure (Jack Scalia). Lisa will have to rely on her wits to get her through the situation.

McAdams is never less than convincing in the lead; she's by turns vulnerable and determined, and Murphy delivers a cool performance as the sly villain. It's the initially friendly and ultimately antagonistic give and take between them that really keeps one watching. It's when the movie starts to get more conventional towards the end, with typical chase and action scenes, that it starts to become less satisfying, but Craven still makes it good entertainment that is never dull. Good supporting performances are supplied by Brian Cox as Lisas' always concerned dad, Jayma Mays as a flustered hotel employee, and Scalia as the nice guy politician, but for a while this is more or less a two character story. Some nice shocks along the way also add to the enjoyment.

"Red Eye" is one of those movies that may not hold up to much scrutiny if you start to think about it, and may not be that memorable once it's over, but while its thrill ride is going, the audience shouldn't care about those things too much. Overall it represents a solid job by Craven and company.

Seven out of 10.

I'm impressed

Author: maryann_blair from United States
4 June 2013

Wow i am amazed at how they made this great movie. Good characters good drama and good acting in ways. I really liked the part were the guy chases the girl and when she sticks that pen in him violently in the half way neck. The guy that is playing the dad looks like the guy from the series called Breaking Bad. I can't explain more parts though it has got to have not that much spoilers but maybe one more. I also liked the part were the the guy head butts the girl in the head i think that would hurt anyone in a assassins WAY OF killing people. OK well i liked this movie i wish they could of did a remake but not. Also this movie is similar to Silence Of The Lambs and that is more creepier. My rating 7 means A-