IMDb > Red Eye (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Red Eye

Red Eye More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 68: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Terrible

Author: wizzstick (wizzstick@hotmail.com) from London, England
10 February 2006

Truly one of the worst films in the history of cinema. Not cheesy, not silly just awful! From it's bizarre premise, to it's moronic ending it's 90 Min's of utter, utter trash.

Who green lit this film? Why? It has no drama. No tension. The acting is toe curlingly bad. The direction lack luster, the lighting like a soap opera and the music like someone letting off sonic booms for fun.

I can't understand why this was released.

Made 'The Avengers' look like 'Die Hard'.

Wes Craven has suddenly flown past John Carpenter in terms of downwards career flight path with this turkey.

Dire.

Red eye? The only thing "glowing" here is McAdams...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
9 November 2013

The problem with most thrillers is that they are not very thrilling. Rather they tend to be formulaic and producers know they can eventually move the final product, good or bad, to cable, so they invariably populate the story with B-level actors or unknowns. Harsh but true. The marvel of Red Eye is that it is a thriller elevated to the status of cult classic by highly focused casting. Hitchcock in his day understood that 1000 failings of the script and/or direction could be forgiven if the audience was able to connect early with the characters. And that's exactly what happened here. Murphy -- remember this is the guy who is considered to have delivered the best Elvis impersonation of all time -- happily and zestfully digs deep into the role of psycho killer. But, make no mistake, this film owes everything to McAdams. She is the chewy chocolate centre of this piece, the audience connects with her early on, develops empathy, and spends the rest of the film watching her facial expressions -- just as you would a close friend -- to see how she is doing. McAdams is one of the handful of stars to have aced the transition from teen wonder to adult star and as this review is penned (2013) she shows no sign of slowing down. Other critics have noticed something especially interesting about her performances. No, I am not making this up. She glows. She shines. The more important the scene, the more she seems to light it up - internally. Very few actors have ever been credited with this talent but I suspect in her case the gift is real. This film would have been a half-baked wonder but for the presence of Rachel McAdams. It will, I believe, over time elevate it to classic status.

Most awful story ever

Author: xyxel from Germany
18 April 2010

I just registered here only to rate this awful movie. I am desperately disappointed about how the story developed - not to mention how absurd it became.

This is - no doubt - the most overrated movie of the year.

The actors play as well as they can in consideration of that bad script, suspense and direction are quite good too.

I did not want to watch it till the end and I deeply regret doing it. Waste of time.

"das417 (das417@yahoo.com)" just hit the bullseye, his review mirrored my bad impression on this movie.

DAMN! 43 pages of comments and going strong...for THIS piece of crap!

Author: imizrahi2002 from Netherlands
20 October 2009

first time, i think, that i've taken the time to pan a movie. AND score it. AND do the spoiler thing... but the ENDing was just TOTALLY unacceptable... the guy's running around the house after her and her father is lying unconscious on the floor...this guy is a proFESSIONal and he's not going to do what we've seen a gajillion times in other movies and TV shows???? so it's either the trite, unbelievable professional chases heroine and LOSES... OR the professional doesn't call out from downstairs that she's got till the count of three till he kills her father... puh LEEZE! otherwise, it was pretty tame, ideawise...no new ground trod here... sure, it was well played...and i LOVED some of the background 'chatter' at the airport...that's why i gave it such high marks...

This movie was terrible!

Author: rashedislam from london england
13 September 2005

The only way you could have possibly enjoyed this movie is:

a) You are 12 years old or younger. b) You are a girl and enjoyed the 'woman kicking ass' storyline c) You are American and love the idea of heroes on planes.

If you fall into category a) and b) and c) then I can understand YOU giving this film a 7 rating (not that it deserves it!), but if not you have serious issues! or have never watched anything other than B rate movies!

This film had the worst dialog, and the poorest acting, was it a comedy or a thriller? Most of the audience in the cinema here were laughing, and at the end of the film, I heard loads of criticism along the lines of 'That was rubbish', and 'what a pile of sh*t'..

Most of the moments were laughable, and there wasn't even a single 'jolt' factor in the whole film! Thriller? I don't think so… Even Skeleton Key was better than this and that was bad!

I wouldn't even recommend watching this on DVD

More Wes Craven crap (spoilers)

Author: marrowman from Canada
22 August 2005

I can't believe anyone thought this was a good movie, sure it had suspense, and good acting, but the plot was non existent, what were the motives involved to kill this guy and his family? How could homeland security be so stupid as to not scan the water for metalics or use some kind of device to decent that there was a bazooka under the boat off the coast of the Hotel? WHy in the hell would this guy continue to stalk? whats the point? if he and his friends are so "powerful" why wouldn't they just nuke her friggin house, or perhaps send in a team of "hitmen" to take on one girl and her old father, WTF? that would be believable to me, not this joker with a hole in throat, getting his arse kicked by a 120lb woman :P anyway, Like all reviews, this is one is subjective and only my opinion, so don't flame me just cause you do not agree, that's just infantile. I did enjoy some parts, despite what i thought to be some plot holes.

Not that great

Author: jjeand1 from United States
31 August 2005

I went into this movie not really knowing what to expect, but with high hopes because I thought the main characters were great & of course I had checked IMDb and the movie had received a 7. something rating.

In all honesty, I found it middle of the road, because the movie was not a bad concept, but I was not on edge like I feel I should be in thriller type movie. It just wasn't that believable, an ordinary women cleverly evading this guy who claims to have overthrown governments & be a major assassin...come on!! I say all this, but at the same time my good friend who I saw the movie with had her arms flailing throughout the movie & was completely on edge, so if you are susceptible to thriller movies (and you should know this about yourself), you will probably enjoy.

A taut little thriller

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
4 February 2017

Protagonist Lisa Reisert is a hotel manager who is returning to Miami after attending her grandmother's funeral in Texas. As she waits for her flight she gets chatting to Jack Rippner, they share a drink then she is pleasantly surprised when she finds they have adjoining seats on the plane. She isn't pleased for long; as the plane takes off he tells her that their meeting was no coincidence; he had been monitoring her for some time because of her job. He needs her to contact her hotel to change the room allocation for one of their guests; the director of Homeland Security, who is visiting Miami with his family. He makes no secret of the fact that he is an assassin and tells Lisa that she has a choice; she does exactly what he says or an associate of his will kill her father. She delays as long as she can but eventually makes the call and has the room changed… now she will have to find a way to save both her father and the Director of Homeland Security and his family.

Too often a film like this would be stretched to two hours and have a variety of unnecessary twists; director Wes Craven didn't do that; he kept it short and once we have learnt what Jack is doing there are no real surprises. He doesn't even waste time trying to explain why the Director of Homeland Security is being targeted… Lisa doesn't need to know so neither do we; all anybody needs to know is that if she doesn't do as she is told her father will die; it's that simple. Rachel McAdams does a solid job as Lisa making the character believable and Cillian Murphy is suitably disturbing as the apparently charming Jack; the rest of the cast, which includes Brian Cox and Jayma Mays, are pretty good too. Clichés of the genre are nicely avoided; I was sure Jack would kill at least one person on the plane but the worst thing he did to any of the other passengers was steal a book. There are of course some rather unrealistic details… at one point Jack head-butts Lisa hard enough to knock her out for half an hour but when she wakes she merely has a mild headache rather than a serious concussion! As the story approaches its conclusion the action is increased and we get explosions and finally a taut final confrontation between Lisa and Jack. Overall I'd certainly recommend this to anybody looking for a decent, but not overly long, thriller which is tense without containing any really disturbing material.

Terrific

Author: Cean E. Lumbaca
13 August 2016

I've known Wes Craven through his iconic films such as Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Red Eye for me came as a surprise.

Although shallow, the film had me at the edge of my seat. The last few moments of the movie were thrilling. It was a breath of fresh air for Craven to direct a film like Red Eye.

I also like the movie set inside an airplane, at the airport, and in the hotel - I come from the hospitality sector and this film is somewhat a good vibe to me seeing those places.

Cillian Murphy's acting is great and intimidating. He's mysterious and manipulative. On the other hand, Rachel McAdams is also okay but I think she needs more practice when it comes to thrillers because she's known for comedies and chick-flicks.

Overall, the movie is terrific.

There is no absolute security

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
3 December 2007

It is a film that is at once fascinating and banal in all its parameters. Another plane flight, to Miami mind you. Another person taken hostage by some high-crime terrorist. Another terrorist attack on a super protected politician and his family in a deluxe hotel. And yet Wes Craven turns it into some breath-taking flight, chase and escape in which every step, every instant is a new turn, a new twist in the fabric of the story till the very final end where he manages to revisit Hitchcock's famous shower scene. Yet the final fight is less efficient than it could or should have been because we know who is going to get the last bullet. But luckily it is not the last scene and this one is so gross and so full of truth that it reveals the real meaning of this film. It is a denunciation of the paranoia of the president and his Home Security Department, with a cameo of it in the very middle of the film, a paranoia the president has injected more than heavily in massive doses to the trusting and submissive public. It is to forget that criminals will always find the loop or the fissure through which they will be able to drop their bombs or launch their rockets. And Wes Craven is amusing himself at multiplying the security measures: bodyguards, digitalized high tech checking of the hotel suite, the coast guard, the running security in an international airport, the perfect training of flight attendants and other plane personnel. And all that is mostly ineffective against modern crime because criminals updated the handicaps and they plan on having them and negotiating them. The only way to stop such a danger can only come from a particular individual, male or female, who is absolutely unpredictable and the key in this success story is that she is confronted to being a hostage for the second time and like the bull in a corrida, she learns fast and the second time is the final one, the one in which she will be stronger and victorious, and victorious she is. So the punch line, the very last sentence uttered in the film, is what Wes Craven thinks about the middle-class and the middle-of-the-way America that does not even know, as for danger and security, what it is to trip on a nut shell or slip on a banana skin. So, what about a bazooka, a rocket launcher, and real danger …! Paranoia is the worst crime against humanity when it is injected to millions of people by a politician who only wants to see his future. But paranoia is a common disease and it can be treated if not healed, even when the patient is the president. In England they used to have Bedlam for these highly disruptive and disturbed people. Good morning modern Bedlamites! But what a shame the American cinema be reduced to developing such ideas and situations when there is so much more to do in a really positive way …! Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne & University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines