IMDb > Royal Kill (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Royal Kill More at IMDbPro »

Don't waste your time

Author: nightcity from United Kingdom
20 July 2010

I am at a loss as where to start... OK the acting, I didn't recognise any of the actors apart from Eric Roberts and Pat Morita (and they only had small parts). The quality of the other actors was fair I guess given what they had to work with.

The story; I am not sure what the story was about apart from the very basic assassin has to kill target and guardian has to protect target, fairly straight forward, there was a minor twist here but nothing to write home about and it didn't really make a lot of sense.

The action. Well it's billed as an action / thriller but there is nothing thrilling involved and the action that there is; is well limited. One scene was well lit and you could see what was going on, it was below par though, the other scene was in the dark (like a lot of the film) so you couldn't see how bad it was.

The explosion - yes there is one explosion and it wasn't too bad as explosions go, I gave it 1 star for the explosion.

Summery: I wouldn't waste your time, it's dull and boring; in fact it makes it into my bottom 5 movies of all time list.

Author: gridoon2016
26 August 2010

I really like Gail Kim. I think she is one of the sexiest, as well as most technically talented, female pro-wrestlers of her generation. So I have been waiting for this film for years (just remember that Pat Morita died in 2005 and do the math to realize how long its release has been delayed). When I finally started watching it, I thought the only possible reason for the very bad reviews it got was its unfortunate retitling from "Royal Kill" to "Ninja's Creed" on the DVD cover (it has nothing to do with ninjas). The first half of the movie plays like a low-budget but still slick variation on the "Terminator" myth: a mysterious noble warrior sent to protect the last hope of oppressed people from an unstoppable assassin whose only mission is to eliminate both. Sure, they botched Gail Kim's first action scene, the attack on Lalaine's house, but her next fight, against Alexander Wraith and some security guards, is a nice set-piece, where she gets to use some of her trademark wrestling moves. And then....the first big twist comes. The good thing about this twist is that you won't see it coming. The bad things are that a) it cancels out the movie up to that point, b) it makes no sense. But even if you're willing to go along with it, more similar twists soon follow until the film collapses completely into incoherence. If writer-director Babar Ahmed had focused more on trying to deliver a movie similar to the one suggested by the DVD cover, it probably would have turned out better than this overambitious mess. *1/2 out of 4.

Half Decent Movie

Author: burning_roses from United States
28 March 2011

I just watched this movie on Netflix. The name and the description definitely caught my attention because I was in the mood for "Knight in Shining Armor" type of movie.

This was definitely not that type of movie.

The description is, at its best, misleading. The story of the female assassin and the ordinary soldier is all in this man's head. In (this) reality, Adam is a security guard at a museum and unknowingly has a double life as a serial killer due to schizophrenia. Everything that has to deal with the Himalayan Kingdom and Nadia is fake and is imagined by Adam.

The beginning seemed long and drawn out, but since the fight scene between the "warrior" and "Nadia" (which is really just Adam and his imagination), I was on the edge of my seat more or less thinking, "wtf?" as all these plot twists were being tossed out at me. It seemed like, "OK, so he is Nadia, I can get that. Oh, now this other kingdom planned it all, I can get that. Wait, so it is all completely imaginary? OK... I think I can get that..." It was just too many plot twists. I can't say that it was a bad thing, because I was still on the edge of my seat for it, but it didn't tickle my fancy.

Royal cheese

Author: awpkiller2 from Gothenburg, Sweden
18 August 2010

I'd like to start by saying "LOL".

Me and some of my friends had a lot of laughs watching this movie. Although it was not intended by the movie director I'm sure.

This is one of those movies I had to write a little review of. It's filled with cheesy lines and more cheesy scenes. I don't know why the original title was "Ninja's creed. I didn't see anything ninjaish in this movie. I really don't understand "wonderyears123456" who has written a good review. Either he/she is part of the cast/crew, or not in his/her right state of mind. I was going to say pothead but I stopped there. It should not be summarized as "Very different", but "Very cheesy". Although I must admit that the music was in fact very catchy (maybe the only good in this movie). The famous actors "Eric Roberts" and "Pat Morita" aka Mr.Miyagi as "wonderyears123456" described, are not so very famous in my book.

This movie should be nominated for the "cheesy movie award of the year" for poor writing, poor directing, poor acting and poor title.

If your looking for a cheesy movie to laugh at, then this is a good choice. Otherwise don't wast your time.

Does not really make sense

Author: droidariake from Fort Lee, VA
1 August 2010

In all reality what can I say. I honestly just saw this movie and decided to pick it up on an impulse. At first I was trying to understand the whole meaning of the movie was and the plot.

Okay, I get the part where the main character I guess the "princess" is alive and is suppose to stay alive for some Himalayan Kingdom and her protector is suppose to save her. But then he turns bad and ends up killing her and then he becomes a lost soul and doesn't really know what is going on.

Being that this film came out in 2009 and it was filmed earlier with Pat being in it and he passed away in 2005 kinda didn't make sense but after doing some research on the film. I would let it slide. Even though there was 2 famous actors and the acting was below mediocre. I do believe this film was in all honestly pretty bad.

I guess it was a low budget film with low budget CGI, but I have seen films with better plots on a lower budget. I really don't understand what the idea was behind bringing out a film of this mess. But we will have to see what the director was hoping to accomplish in the future.

Overall, I thought this movie was bad, the acting was really sub par, and I would have thought this would debut on some cable network, as it looked like it was intended for. As well as I thought this was really a waste of time, and money trying to capitalize on the whole ninja genre and momentum, which it really just failed horribly on.

A Royal pain in the,, that killed my eyes

Author: jimlacy2003 from United States
19 August 2010

"Very different", try very strange.

It starts out with what looks like mostly a 'B' movie. And maybe you want to watch it because it at least has "Eric Roberts" in it. Then why kill whom is probably the most recognizable star? And then watch because "Pat Morita" too. But wait, right didn't Pat unfortunately die four years before this film was released? Makes you wonder, was it shelved or otherwise been in edit for those four years? Or did Pat's untimely death cause a rewrite and this scrap room floor mishmash was the result?

All these weird elements that don't add up. Like there is some kind of Galactic battle(??) going on at the beginning. I thought at first it was a Science Fiction, or Fantasy movie at first.

Enough has been already said about the plot and it made little sense at the end. This guy is somehow hypnotized, or trained, or something like "Jason Bourne"? Things unravel and somehow this guy is like "Sybil" or something with at least two personalities and he's at conflict with this all. Maybe would have been better if this revelation was made earlier. Maybe would have been interesting to see some kind of back story to it.

I have a theory. Maybe this was intended to be along the lines of "Gone Baby Gone", or "No Country for Old Men", etc., (all of which I call the "anti-plot") that was the trend at the time..

And yea "wonderyears123456" looks like a shill. A big tip off is the "12456" part and that he/she has this only one review.

If you see this up on the shelf don't be fooled by the "Ninja" title. It's just a Ninja-loot on your wallet. Rent or buy something else for your time.

Author: MickyFin from Finland
19 July 2010

I don't know what the previous viewer was watching, and writing about, but it certainly wasn't anything to do with this poor show of a film.

This film to me personally was a complete waste of time, and I wish to have the wasted time back of my life that I wasted watching this poor, poor film.

I watched the beginning, thinking, OK, keep open minded, its a storytelling kind of film, and hoped that things would make sense, but to me, and my intellect, which I would say is above average as a film critic, I hoped the story would materialize, but it failed on every possible count. I found myself shaking my head in disbelief almost all the way through this film.

The two known actors in the film obviously did not read their scripts fully Im sure, and were possibly under the impression that this film was going to be big, but with poor special effect, and embarrassing CGI, the whole thing was awful.

If your into fighting films, forget it, the moves were something you would fine in a home movie.

Terrible film, which solely relied on music to help, and the sound track was way off too.

Could had been so much better...

Author: Destroyer Wod from Quebec
20 September 2013

When the movie start you realize something is off... a king and one his soldier, in medieval outfits? Then you see Jet Fighters attacking there country... What? LOL. Then they mention the united nation won't help them... which is hard to follow and finally the warrior start his quest to help the princess before the assassin reach her. Its really hard to get in and the movie does not help you whatsoever.

The fights scene are not numerous and are pretty boring in the first half of the movie. There is not even gunfights too much either. All you hear is Alexander Wraith dubbing (wich i don't understand why, since in the outtakes he seem to speak good English) and his long and boring monologue.

I actually liked Lalaine tough that i knew just a bit from Buffy(as Chloe), she seem genuine in the damsel in distress and i felt a bit for her. But in the first half all the rest is forgettable...

In the second half it get a bit more interesting, by sadly this is when i turned down the movie the first time watching it. I was bored... I came back 1 week later to finish it before selling it at the pawnshop but then it become a bit more interesting. The twist at the end is a good idea, it was just badly executed trough the whole movie, the final showdown is decent but could had been so much better. In any case a better second half for sure.

But its looking at the bloopers and outtakes i had the most fun, i mean the actors and crew seem to have fun and its actually a good time watching them. Also sad to read about MR Miyagi's last day on a film set... The crew seem very interested in the movie and believe in it. Its too bad the final product ended not too good.

I think Gail Kim could play a tough chick again in a movie, they would just need to choose better outfits for her(she wear a skirt in this, hard to take an assassin serious in that outfit) cause she got a face for it and a presence.

In any case, my final verdict would be that if you like martial arts forget about this movie, there is very minimal of it, and only give it a go if you don't mind slow development stories... Its not a very good movie, but not the worst movie ever like some pointed out.

Pretty good the second time (Spoilers)

Author: lmm_107-1 from Small Town, Michigan
1 September 2010

Wow, this movie get's no love. Come on people, look deeper. At the beginning of this movie I, too, smiled to myself thinking "here we go again." I fully expected a movie full of cheese. And I wasn't completely wrong. A lot of the lines were unnecessary and overdone, and some of the acting came off as silly, but the script is actually kind of brilliant. Now, I'm not gonna lie, it took two viewings of this movie for me to really understand it's content. The first time I watched it I actually found myself getting really angry. I thought "What kind of movie does this to it's audience. What kind of movie makes us care for its characters only to betray our trust." When Adam killed Jan I found myself staring at the screen, open mouthed. If I recall, my exact thought was "No! no, no, no...what?" The first viewing ended with me desperately trying to figure out exactly what had happened. I had kind of figured it out, but questions still remained. So, I watched it again. And by the end of this viewing I understood. My anger had disappeared and had been replaced by genuine appreciation. This movie is truly unique. Although some things could have been done better, the end product is something of wonder. In the world of Hollywood where nothing truly new ever seems to appear, this movie stands out. It is a story that's never been told before and that's what makes it special.

What a piece of Crap!

Author: Freddy Jenkins from United States
13 June 2015

Spoiler Alert!!! All that build up for a twisted waste of time! I mean Adam turning into Nadia is not a turn on but a stupid waste of time. Seriously why would the movie build up a bad guy and good guy when they are both the same damn person! There were no existence of ninjas to be seen anywhere so the point of calling it Ninja's Creed is just a coax so you could hope that maybe this movie has a chance but no! It is a waste of my whole family's time! I would rather castrate myself than ever see this turd that wont flush of a film! I really feel raped like I just got out of prison and cant wipe without feeling dirty! I wonder if the director was smoking some Ganja cause the script was stupider than Eric Roberts looks. The long hair is overdone and so is this stupid movie! Thanks for reading this now go find a better movie to watch! 0 out of 10.