IMDb > Street Kings (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Street Kings

Street Kings More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Typical American action movie- nothing new

Author: samuelsson91 from Slovakia
2 January 2009

I was thinking if Hugh Laurie is able to play other role except of Street Kings. When I saw him in the first shot in hospital, I thought he would not. But after a while, I knew I was wrong. I realized that he is an actor with capital a. This is the first positive thing in the film. The second one is a surprising end, but we see such things in almost every American action movie. The negatives are that the fights with fists are unreal, because there is no blood (not in gun fights!). Truly said I was expecting something more. Something similar to American Gangster. Do not expect, because you will be disappointed. It is typical American movie- unreal investigation, where a detective comes, everybody tells him everything he wants. Later he comes somewhere else, kills “the bad ones” and leaves. At the end everything will be forgiven. And all this is with picture of sunset, which was alright but only once.

Pretty awful...

Author: dtbaker2 from United States
2 November 2008

I expected more from a film with a significant budget.

The dialogue is both deadpan and unbelievable, like the old Dragnet T.V. series.

The worst was in the store, when the two officers arrive after the machine gun shooting - Detective Ludlow, kneeling over the expired corpse of Detective Washington - actually says, "Get me an ambulance, now." Only if one of the other officers had said,"...don't you mean a hearse?" Could the damn thing be "more worser." Geez, what a crummy movie.

I make no apology - it was my free movie of the week and a complete waste of 45 minutes, which is the point at which I hit eject. The last thing I recall is the guy sitting nonchalant on the toilet, as though he would have not heard the gunfire through the hollow wooden door....it was that forgettable and film school poor.

Engaging time passer

Author: zuccozoid from United States
19 September 2008

There are so many cop movies, especially on TV, you've already seen it all, waiting for something with a fresh twist. Forget it, not here. Cop films like this are always formulaic, and you may as well wait for TV or DVD; it's the same as CSI and other productions, pretty generic; the setup is engaging - good cop manipulating evidence to ensure conviction of a bad guy - but it devolves into typical cop stuff you've seen a thousand times already. Plenty of plot holes, too, and it really doesn't hold up; if you're looking for the next FRENCH CONNECTION, VALACHI PAPERS or SEVEN UPS, you won't find it here; it's just a slightly bigger TV show with dirtier language.

Keanu posing as a dirty cop does not ring true- wooden performances all around.

Author: dilbertsuperman from Baghdad
19 September 2008

This is a watchable yet run of the mill attempt at making a cop movie thriller using the vehicle of a dirty cop in the form of Keanu Reeves. If you want to see someone that normally plays heroes play a good dirty cop- go see Training Day instead- much better movie in similar script territory. Keanu is a pretty boy, his delivery is monotone and boring and not at all engaging as what is required from a lead. When he walks around trying to be street tough, it's hard not to laugh. Several unintentional comedy scenes because of his miscasting.

PLOT: Dirty cop has a dirtier boss but is someone trying to whack him? Keanu is our streetwise cop who beats up criminals after he gels his hair properly and hits the tanning bed. This is a watchable movie about cop corruption- but not a good or a great one.

Just watch Training Day

Author: EXodus25X from United States
11 September 2008

Bottom line, it's Training Day and Keanu Reeves in his wildest dreams is not Ethan Hawke and Forrest Whitaker just can't match Denzel Washington. Yes you could argue that the stories are different and the characters are different then the characters I compared them to, and you would be right. But everything this film did just made me wish I was watching Training Day instead. Does that make Street Kings awful, no just inferior, does that mean that there was nothing good about it, no it's just all been done better before. Bottom line is this film is far from bad but it exist in a world where it has all been done before and way way better.

Ted's New Adventure

Author: leorican from United States
22 August 2008

First let me say if you don't figure out whats really going on in about the first 15 to 20 minutes of this movie...then you must have fallen asleep. Keanu Reeves spends the whole movie trying to figure out what is so painfully obvious to the viewer. A tale of corruption, secrets, lies, betrayals, and half-truths involving a special police unit helmed by the over acting Forest Whittaker. Keanu is his right hand man leading a special group who are into vigilante justice. Someone close and out of Keanu's characters past threatens their set up and what follows is a nicely paced familiar and uninspired plot. Some familiar faces pop up here in there in staple stereotype characters that fill these types of movies. You can tell what its trying to be but as clueless as Keanu is through this whole movie so are the makers of this film not to have it dawn on them that this has been done before in so many different ways. Keanu tries to do his best at portraying the alcoholic screwed up bad cop/good cop in turmoil but at times it doesn't stick...while other times he shines. My favorite cameo is of Hugh Laurie, the actor who portrays the doctor in "house"...watch for his "wink at House" introduction to the plot. One of the best scenes in the movie deals with Keanu and two Chinese characters and Keanus characters assessment of their whole bad boy wanna be persona's. I wont say I wasn't entertained because I was...just not inspired or thrilled. Still keanu showed some chops and that he can play something other than "Neo" or "Ted"

A Perspective Action Crime

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
19 August 2008

Tom Ludlow (Keanu Reeves) is a veteran LAPD Vice Detective who sets out on a quest to discover the killers of his former partner, Detective Terrance Washington (Terry Crews). Forest Whitaker plays Captain Wander, Ludlow's supervisor, whose duties include keeping him within the confines of the law and out of the clutches of Internal Affairs Captain Biggs (Hugh Laurie). Ludlow teams up with a young Robbery Homicide Detective (Chris Evans) to track Washington's killers through the diverse communities of Los Angeles. Their determination pays off when the two Detectives track down Washington's murderers and confront them in an attempt to bring them to justice. Street Kings 9/10

Almost a remake

Author: macias-5 from Poland
13 August 2008

Watching this movie is like deja vu -- I already saw this plot filmed at least two times, the same scenario (even the "team in the restaurant" scene was familiar). What is "screenplay" today means if it is just the same thing going on and on?

Well, I can't tell I was bored because good actors and nice pace delivers entertainment but there was nothing fresh or surprising here. The story starts familiar, it ends in predictably and the way it unfolds is way too obvious.

My advice: pick another movie because you will just waste almost 2 hours on stuff you know already.

I give this film a big................... WHOA!!!!

Author: Mudbug711 from United States
16 April 2008

This film really surprised me. First off, I did go into the theater expecting Keanu to play as one of his cliché character modes. Boy, was I dead wrong. You will somewhat expect him as Neo, Jack Traven, or Ted Logan. Nope.... This has to be one of his best performances to date, no doubt. He makes his character so believable, and totally human like. The character of Det. Ludlow is very intense, very gritty, yet is nervous. You will have to see this performance for yourself. Outstanding....

Next, was the great cast behind Keanu. The always lovable Forest Whitaker plays a role that you will just shake your head at in astonishment... that is all I am gonna say about that. The loved House M.D. Hugh Laurie is terrific, and downright straight as a iron beam as his character is sporadically thrown throughout this film. Jay Mohr is not so easily recognizable with a mustache on his face, although, he plays a rare great role.

The script is also what really makes this movie. The acting from all performers is awesome, even down to the little stand in one liners. The tough, gritty Los Angeles locales, and backdrops puts you right in the action, the camera is worked with perfection, with just a tad of shakiness, to give you the rough cut feel.

So, if you want to go see a flick with great acting, a vehicle that makes your mouth water.. (Oh yeah, it's got a Hemi), a rough, and tumble cop thriller, with some decent shoot em' up scenes, that will leave you on the edge of your seat, AND an outcome that you most likely will not expect... This movie you may just like, and enjoy. Keanu looks like he grown up, and matured into a pretty darn decent actor. You will somehow be surprised yourself of this film. I actually give this film an 8 1/2 of 10.

A great surprise

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
24 April 2008

I did not have high expectations for Street Kings.I expected it would be a competent thriller but nothing else.I was very wrong and I took a very nice surprise.Street Kings resulted to be a very competent thriller with many good points.The screenplay is very interesting and intelligent.So,this is an intelligent thriller,something which is not very usual.Also,the movie has a dynamic tone which makes it enormously entertaining and not boring at all.This movie shows real violence ; it never feels glamorized.I honestly think Keanu Reeves is not a good actor.His performance on this movie is good but I do not think he was the most appropriate guy.But,the supporting cast is great.Forest Whitaker , Jay Mohr , Hugh Laurie and Chris Evans show a lot of conviction and enthusiasm on their characters.A fail I found on this movie is some irrelevant scenes.I had low expectations for this movie and , maybe , because of that , it enormously surprised me.I recommend Street Kings as an intelligent and very entertaining thriller.