IMDb > "Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

Give it a chance.

Author: juepotter from Blackburn, England
28 November 2004

I have watched all three episodes of Max & Paddy and have laughed out loud again and again. OK it's not as good as Phoenix Nights, but M & P shouldn't be compared to this because of the all the different characters within Phoenix Nights that allow this to create more comedy moments.

The Mick Bustin episode is the best so far and the wood scenes were Peter Kay and Paddy McGuiness through and through. I think it's best to watch the episodes a couple of times as this gives you the chance to pick up on things missed the first time around. Anyone who has watched any Peter Kay material knows that you must watch everything a few times to appreciate all the comedy classic moments.

I laughed more the second time of watching all the episodes.

All I can say is lets celebrate people who are trying to make us laugh and not knock them down. I hope Peter and Paddy carry on as a double act because I think they're classic!!

How far away are they?

Looks promising

Author: DavidRickard from England
13 November 2004

We last saw Max and Paddy, the dimwitted bouncers from the Phoenix Club at the end of series 2 of Phoenix Nights. The two had been hired as hit men, but didn't do the job and instead paid off the person they were supposed to be killing. Max spent the money on a camper van and when the lady who hired them finds out they go on the run fearing for their lives.

Max, played by Peter Kay, is the quieter of the two, but probably the more intelligent. Paddy, played by Patrick McGuinness thinks of himself as God's gift to women - quite an opposite to Max.

The first episode, as written by Kay and McGuinness showed itself to be funny and refreshing. New jokes, new stories, and a new direction for Kay - this could be his first sitcom based outside of Bolton! Thats not to say basing a sitcom IN Bolton is a bad thing mind.

Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere looks like it could be a good solid comedy and I look forward to seeing more.

A Road to Success

Author: AddyBaddy87 from United Kingdom
12 May 2005

When i first heard about 'Road to Nowhere' i initially thought it would be a let-down, but i found it to be a great laugh and throughly enjoyable.

It was very funny, and both Kay and Mcguinness were fab. It was very much side-splitting comedy, and everything from the opening credits to the background music, max's "how dare you", and the pig in episode 5, all made me laugh.

I do agree with other users' in saying that noticed more things the second time i watched the episodes, but this is because i knew what had happened, so inevitably you'd notice things more.

In all i was very impressed with 'Max and Paddy's road to nowhere' and i can't wait for it to be released on DVD, and for another upcoming series (fingerz crossed.

Dink Dank Do

Author: rob_sharp1 from Clitheroe
18 November 2004

Peter Kay returns with the funny Patrick McGuinness taking a prominent role in this side splitting comedy - he has come a long way from his bit part as a curly haired muppet in Kay's The Services.

I was laughing from start to finish - with the spoof of Dirty Dancing just incredible. Surely a scene that will be discussed and mimicked for years to come.

Anyone who enjoys Kay's previous shows and those who enjoy light-hearted humour will love this series.

A must!

Long Live Paddy and Max.

absolutely brilliant

Author: Josh Deegan
23 October 2006

absolutely brilliant!! it may not be as good as phoenix nights but M & P are top guys in comedy. Peter Kay as Max and Paddy Mcguinness as Paddy (coincedence in the names?) is the best comedy double act i have seen in years!! ( i may only be 14 but i know comedy well) i have to admit when i saw the first episode for the first time i thought it wasn't that funny - but i gave it a chance and as the series progressed it got funnier and funnier. the bit about Tina is absolutely top class "eh up i see cabarets arrived" as paddy said about her. there are some brilliant lines in here from Dink Dank do to How Dare you (hey that rhymes!!). my personal favourite is Too Far Tony!! maybe because I'm a Northerner myself (Manchester Massive) i find this funnier than others do.

this is a comic gem 10/10 the best sitcom i have ever seen

Not as great as Phoenix Nights... But its not supposed to be.

Author: moilligh from Ireland
3 December 2004

I was rather disappointed with the first episode of Max & Paddy's Road To Nowhere; a spin off series chronicling the adventures of the hapless bouncers from Bolton.

It didn't have the same spark, the same ability to make you laugh.

But, as the series is progressing, I am beginning to like it.

The same jokes which only Northerners will get are there, and really a clash of cultures take place. A little ott at times, some great scenarios are created.

Some special appearances will please the Phoenix fans, and newcomers will become engrossed in a story which actually makes you care about the characters.

Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
16 May 2005

Road to Nowhere is taking two of Peter Kay's most loved characters from Phoenix Nights (three if you count Kay's Brian Potter) and turning them into a series. Written and directed by Peter Kay himself, this was a really good comedy in 2004. Peter Kay and Patrick McGuinness star as Max and Patrick (Paddy). These are two ordinarily funny blokes travelling across the country to nowhere. Basically they just like to travel. But when they do stop in places they have many weird and wonderful experiences concerning relationships, the van and the environment they are in. With a brilliant opening credits and two lovable characters (and comedians) this is quality comedy. It was number 37 on The 100 Greatest TV Treats 2004. Very good!

Brilliant

Author: Just-Being-Me from United Kingdom
5 March 2014

I love this, it made me laugh from start to finish, i really enjoyed watching this, this is what comedy should be like. These guys are just down to earth and naturally funny. I think the actors are brilliant at playing these roles.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting a good laugh, with good acting etc. I really can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't like this, it is a top comedy. It is funny seeing these two guys together, Max being the more serious one and Paddy being the more childish, wild one. Max respecting women, Paddy doing the complete opposite, who would have thought these characters would work so well together.

Definitely worth a 9 out of 10 if not a 10 / 10. Brilliant.

Max and Paddy

Author: salopsi from United Kingdom
25 December 2005

I'm in pretty much disagreement with Mr Depressive there... In my opinion This series is a Benchmark of the re-birth of British comedy, - its nothing like what we loved to see in the 70s, ... but it does churn out frequent laughs!! The outtakes are pure comedy, and if the series its self didn't provide a giggle, then these will !!! If you haven't seen the series, in episode one, Max and Paddy, after stealing a speakerless Plasma screen, decide to go on a night out... they hit the floor, and it becomes apparent that Max (Kay) cannot dance ... so Paddy teaches him how (think dirty dancing scenes) - they both go out, and pull a couple of live wires, who eventually rob them. episode two, sees the pairs motorhome breakdown, leaving them stranded, - note an appearance from Noddy Holder, as a Irritating Brummie Mechanic, with two beefy side kicks Les, and Dennis !! into episode 3, he visits an old School mates 40th party where he bumps into Tina, the midget ex girlfriend ! - after hearing she has a son by him, he hijacks the School bus, before landing himself in jail, - Ep4 sees him in jail, and getting on the wrong side of a tribe of beefy queers... Eventually, we see them granted release,back into the world, where back on the road, they end up knocking over a cow, ... after being duped by a senile farmer, they end up with a pig, and we trawl through th countryside seeing them trying to offload it, ... and 6 sees Paddy shot in the arse, after Max's psycho mate, befriends them again.

Obviously this is by no means a genourous enough anaolgy - but its well worth a watch !