IMDb > Veer-Zaara (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Veer-Zaara

Veer-Zaara More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A movie with a lot of emotions. Good performances from the main characters. Good entertainment

Author: mmajid-1 from United Kingdom
5 January 2005

The main purpose of the cinema is to entertain.Entertainment can mean different things to different people.Normally we expect a lot of emotion in Indian movies.If emotion makes you feel like throwing up, you should not really be watching Indian Hindi movies.If you are really taken with realism, watch a documentary. If you want to get away from the mundane affairs of everyday life watch a Hindi movie.Veer Zaara is a Hindi movie with lots of emotion. The audience identify with the characters and go back to watching it again and again.One must realise that a movie is a hit only when the audience is able to identify themselves with the characters.Questions do come to mind. Like, how did Rani Mukherjee know Veer's name? Maybe Yash Chopra made a mistake. The mistake did not cost him anything because the movie succeeded at the box-office.It might also have taken too long a time to give an explanation.And the movie is already 192 minutes long. A flaw nevertheless, but then you can find faults with just about everything. If you have negative vibes about the person playing the principal character in a movie, you really should not be watching the movie in the first place. SRK has become a living legend.He is a good actor. He has done well as the young squadron leader as well as the ageing prisoner. Twenty two years in jail can age a man beyond his years. Shahrukh was convincing.Preity was her usual bubbly self initially, and then equally convincing.The movie was fast paced.Editing was good. No where did it drag.The songs were excellent.

great entertainment

Author: moviesaremypassion from Florida, USA
5 December 2004

Often it's the much-anticipated films that disappoint the most, but Veer Zaara lives up to the pre-release hype.

Just when you think you know where the story is going, you are pleasantly surprised and therefore enthralled as the story unveils.

People either love SRK or hate him, but I think he delivers what is necessary for this role without going over the top.

The surprise appearances are great, and Priety Zinta is getting better with every role.

Last, but certainly not least, the music is superb. If you have no other reason to see this movie, see it to know the story that was finally told with these beautiful songs.

10 out of 10

Love at its grandest.

Author: Raj from Chicago, USA
1 April 2005

Veer Zaara is a story of epic proportions which shows the deepest insight into the understanding of love as it applies to the human experience. Terrors, along with joys, test the bonds of two lovers of different faiths, different nationalities, but similar feelings. These feelings reflect upon the plot so brilliantly, making this movie Shah Rukh Khan's second best performance, following behind Kal Ho Naa Ho. The Late Madan Mohan has composed brilliant songs which shed light on the journeys of the two star crossed lovers, highlighting both comical and tragic moments in this classic saga. As for Veer Zaara's influence on the public, a motif of unity, an archetype of love in the hero's garden is shared with the two nations, creating a bond forged in steel. This is something Shakespeare should have seen.

Progressive Film

Author: Vijay from United States
15 November 2004

Reviewed by: Vijay Venkataramanan Reviewer's Rating: 9 out of 10

It's Diwali - the time for sweets, new clothes, fireworks, and as is customary every year in India, a star-studded, feel-good blockbuster. Yash Chopra's reclamation of the director's throne after seven long years is a simple return to the classical traditions of mainstream Indian film-making. The flair and sensitivity for romance is intact along with the passion for deep-rooted cultural and traditional mis-en-scene. However, neither is "Veer Zaara" a classic, nor is it even remotely comparable to Chopra's earlier masterpieces such as "Silsila", "Kaala Pathar", "Kabhie Kabhie", and "Lamhe". Yet, it is an ideal Diwali gift, exquisitely packaged, filled to the brim with sentiments and emotions, presented with only the best of intentions.

Squadron Leader Veer Pratap Singh (Shahrukh Khan) has been decaying in a Pakistani prison for twenty-two years. Saamiya Siddiqui (Rani Mukherjee), a local lawyer representing the Human Rights Commission undertakes the challenge of fighting for Veer so he can return to India. As Saamiya tries to unearth the hidden truth behind why and how Veer ended up in this situation, we are taken through a trip down memory lane as Veer recollects the days when he found and lost the love of his life, a Pakistani girl called Zaara (Priety Zinta).

What "Veer Zaara" lacks in terms of an innovative plot structure, it more than makes up for with Aditya Chopra's sometimes flawed, but sensitive writing. The supporting characters are extremely well fleshed out, and his dialogs witty and subtle. The storytelling is further enhanced with Javed Akhtar's lyrical wizardry, and Yash Chopra's tact for stretching defining moments of the story into musical interludes continues to fascinate. "Do pal ruka, khwaabon ka kaarvaan", a fine example of Mr. Akhtar's and Mr. Chopra's brilliance remains etched in your memory.

The film's grand-scale packaging is embellished by Sharmishta Roy's artistic, and exquisitely detailed production design, with each set being highly reflective of the characters that it holds in. Cinematographer Anil Sharma (Lagaan, Kal Ho Na Ho) sets up a rustic, yet opulent scheme to the film's largely rural setting that brings back memories of the evergreen "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaayenge".

Actors including the great Amitabh Bachchan (who makes a stunning special appearance in this film with Hema Malini) have always elevated their performances to higher levels under Yash Chopra's baton. Rani Mukherjee follows in the same footsteps, playing the rookie lawyer with an admirable juxtaposition of nervousness and ferocity. While Preity Zinta and Shahrukh Khan too perform well in their respective roles, at no point does one feel that these two talented actors are ever challenged with roles such as these. Having played the loverboy so many times in the past, Veer Pratap Singh is a cakewalk for the Khan. The lead pair's chemistry from their younger days all the way to the days of their fifties is highly appreciable however. The supporting cast comprising of Divya Dutta, Kirron Kher, Boman Irani, and Manoj Bajpai make full use of their well-defined characters to enact high-caliber performances.

Other than the story of two fanatically devoted lovers, "Veer Zaara" is a progressive film for the Indian Film Industry because it makes an effort to break stereotypes with respect to Indo-Pak relations. It is a welcome change from the mindless Pak-bashing fare that we are routinely subjected to. Sensitive approaches like this first of all would help improve cultural ties, considering Hindi movies do comprise of a large portion of India's unofficial exports to Pakistan. Equally important is the economic factor because a culturally sensitive film like "Veer Zaara" is bound to officially open up a potentially huge, untapped, cinema-going audience across the border

Bollywood Entertainment

Author: chetley from Michigan
2 April 2005

"Veer-Zaara" was shown as part of an international film series at my local public library. It is the first Bollywood musical I have ever seen, and as such, I lack the critical perspective necessary to make an informed judgement about it. However, I did rate "Veer-Zaara" seven out of ten, because I found it consistently entertaining, and often entirely delightful. I was never once bored - in spite of its three hour plus running time. In order to appreciate any form of musical drama, it's necessary to "surrender" to theatrical artifice, and seen in that light, "Veer-Zaara" is no more illogical or "unrealistic" than a classic Vincent Minnelli Musical or a "serious" Verdi opera. I was also very intrigued at the way that the plot of the film crossed several genres and combined a number of classic story-telling archetypes: "the star-crossed lovers," "the village pastorale," "the saga of family honor," "the courtroom drama," etc.

Watching this film I think I learned a lot about modern Indian culture. Although at times the sentimentality in "Veer-Zaara" is so gushing that it enters into the realm of camp, there is also much substance in the film which is entirely admirable and worthy of esteem: the honor paid to parents and elders, the independence and spirit shown by strong and intelligent women, the respect given to Law and Justice, and perhaps most importantly, the possibility of peace and reconciliation between two peoples and two nations who have been engaged in a long, bitter, and fruitless quarrel.

Fantabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Larry Abraham (larryalpha81@hotmail.com) from Trinidad
23 November 2004

It was a really spectacular movie! I think the cinematography, music, colour, acting and 'second to none' story were instrumental in it being, I am sure, one of the best of its time. "Hats off" to Chopra and his team for directing yet another masterpiece! I must have this on DVD to add to my aspiring collection of movies. I couldn't believe that the movie did not waste time, with the usual 'Tun Tun' characters, which I must say, are displayed really well sometimes. The movie progressed smoothly, from one Scene to the next backed by superb and riveting music. I saw the movie this weekend (couldn't go before due to Diwali and Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations) and will return to the cinema this coming weekend to view it yet again! I think the movie had a 'Dilwale....' kind of feeling to it linked, perhaps, to the rural, peasant farming, outdoor field type of setting. I was truly pleased to see a movie linked to the India/Pakistan conflict, to be devoid of fighting and bloodshed! The movie addressed some of the more delicate issues of this conflict and must say that it was done in the most professional way!....Great movie....I give it five(5) stars!

this movie was excellent

Author: mrrubinben from Israel
7 May 2005

i don't know very well about the special relations between indians and pakistans but i can tell u this was the most beautiful movie i ever saw . the perfection that take place in the movie ,the music which suits so well to each act it been play , the excellent actors all that made me cry my friends and i don't cry in movies.... so simple , so beautiful i don't know anybody who don't dream about one love like this one love .... for one life. i didn't expect so much from an unknown director and i was surprised , i love this culture i love the simple people of India and Pakistan which are so well describe , painted in the movie and the beautiful woman of both country ....

Humanity, respect and the power of love against time and circumstances

Author: Peter Young from Earth
7 July 2009

Yash Chopra's Veer-Zaara is a film about humanity, devotion, sacrifice, and the power of love. It is a visually stunning and emotionally touching picture about star-crossed lovers who meet once and are tied forever. Yash Chopra artistically combines realism with greatly unrestrained emotion and some overdone sentimentality. Although the love story itself, the separation and everything else is very typical, Chopra creates an entirely different film in the way it portrays the respect the lovers have for each other, the honour they pay to parents and elders, and their genuine willingness to sacrifice themselves for each other. It is a cross-border love story between an Indian and a Pakistani, yet their nationality is not what prevents them from being together. That's what really makes sense in this film. It flows very well through the stunning views of Indian and Pakistani fields and groves, and colourfully shows the bright sides of each country. The film does look a bit dated, but then it does not have a defined period of historical time, which makes it an all-time saga.

The film also addresses women's empowerment through Rani Mukherjee's role of a Pakistani lawyer who tries to overcome society. There are many surprising and touching moments in the film. The love story is portrayed grandiosely, with larger-than-life orchestral music of heavy violins and piano. The movie soundtrack is perhaps the most beautiful soundtrack in recent years, and the fact that it was actually composed many years ago contributes to the epic mood of the film. Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta are great choices for the film. They resuscitate their characters with restraint and dignity and have a credible chemistry despite not having much physical interaction. Khan is the main soul of the film and he is believable in everything his character goes through. Zinta is beautiful and compelling as the intelligent and headstrong Zaara, and looks great in traditional outfits. Rani Mukhejee makes a great impact with her relatively minor but pivotal role of the tenacious, level-headed Saammiya. She is natural and impressive and leaves the film as a winner.

Veer-Zaara, though a completely entertaining epic romance, is not the greatest film you'll see and it often goes over-the-top in its emotions. It is far from being flawless and has its share of loopholes where script is concerned. Having said that, it just doesn't matter here. This film is far ahead of anything it can be blamed for. It is about the main values a person should cherish in life: humanity, respect and love, and it conveys this message very well. It is one of those films which become classics instantly, and I recommend it to anyone, whoever and wherever he is.

Author: rizzobujjo from London, England
23 November 2004

I am one of those fussy people who watches selected films. Most films bore me because either they are a re-make (old Indian or American)or the story just does not grab me. I went to see this film after a very long time at the cinema and within the first five minutes, I told me husband what I thought the story would be and I was so shocked to find that the films story was not what I had predicted. I also hate films were the lovers have to die in the end (as they did in "Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak), because I truly believe that true love can conquer all.

Yash Chopra has, as always, delivered an all-round entertainer. The songs were mesmerising; Madan Mohans' tunes were beautiful, Lata Mangeshkars voice was 'an out of this world' experience, Javed Akhtars' lyrics and Aditya Chopras' poem meant so much to those who understand them.

Photography was enchanting; such films make people like me who love India, love it even more.

The acting was par excellence, Shahrukh Khan did not disappoint at all, Preity Zinta was the essence of beauty and innocence and Rani was good as well.

I would just like to say thank you to Mr Chopra for a wonderful experience.

A beautiful epic love story from Yash Chopra!

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
22 November 2004

The Chopras have proved once again that you can always count on them to provide the highest quality cinema. I'd first like to applaud Shahrukh for outdoing himself once again by playing both a young, simple-natured squadron and an old, tormented prisoner so convincingly. His skillful subtleties and attention to each detail of his performance have undoubtedly turned him to the best actor I have ever seen. I think he has even surpassed Amitabh. Even though Rani and Preity's roles didn't seem to demand too much from them, they gave a wonderful performance. Even Manoj Bajpai did an excellent job. The story is fabulous. Where the traditional Bollywood film could take the same situations with different outcomes for each event to turn the film into the same familiar fare, Veer-Zaara makes turns it into an epic love story where Veer and Zaara's names can be added to the list of Devdas and Paro, Shah Jahaan and Mumtaaz, etc. The main minus point of the film is its music. Warning: Don't listen to the music before watching the film or it will sound horrendous! Tere Liye, however, is extremely beautiful and melodic. After watching the movie, Aisa Des Hai Mera and Main Yahan Hoon are quite likable. Unfortunately, the latter two are not ones that one can keep humming for several months. Another minor yet negligible drawback is that this movie can't appeal as much to the youth as Yash Chopra's previous film, Dil to Pagal Hai. An addicting soundtrack and a youthful appeal were two things that seemed to be missing, which are usually guaranteed in every Chopra extravaganza. Nonetheless, Veer-Zaara is fantastic!

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]