IMDb > Miracle Run (2004) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Miracle Run (TV) More at IMDbPro »

One of the best films of our time.

Author: reeb-myoo from Spain
12 April 2009

After hearing about this movie from some friends who recommended it greatly, I was skeptical about how well they would portray the autistic characters. To my surprise (and relief), from the very first minute, I was enthralled. A beautiful, enchanting tale about a mother's fight to help her children grow up normally, Miracle Run captivates the audience, and shows the world that autism need not be a hindrance. The film teaches you of two brilliant young boys, stuck in the 'cage' of autism. In due course, these emotionally and mentally stunted boys learn to read, write and speak, heightening their obvious brilliance. After never really experiencing the effects and problems autism brings to children, I didn't know exactly what to expect. I knew embarrassingly little about it, and was worried that I would be out of my depth. Again, to my relief, the stunningly moving portrayal of the children brought light to the extraordinary world of autistic children, and made me realise that this wasn't an illness, as some see it, but more a part of life. The children play the twins beautifully, and don't resort to robotic, overplayed acting. Efron in particular plays his part to perfection, and his seemingly effortless performance deserves some sort of award. This moving and beautiful tale brought a tear to my eye, and has even brought me a new lease on life, as realisation struck that life is for living, and if these twins can do it, anyone can. Just an incredible piece of work, and I believe more people should see it. Stunning is the best word to describe it.

Always good to see a movie inspired by a good true story.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
23 July 2006

The subject is autism, something most of us know absolutely nothing about. This movie focuses on Steven (played by Zac Efron, so good in High School Musical). In the climax, Steven is motivated to run cross country, but the coach is reluctant to let him compete, because he always seems to lose his way on the course. Clueless Douglas asks, "why don't you just follow the others?"

I have always been a fan of Mary-Louise Parker. She is a good actress, and has that cute movement of her nose as she speaks. |Here she is mom, Corrine Morgan-Thomas, who ends up fighting hard for proper treatment of those who are autistic.

SPOILERS. During the race, which Steven almost doesn't start because he saw a girl he liked with another boy, we learn why he couldn't follow the other runners. He was so fast that he was always out front. |He catches up and gets in the lead, guided by red ribbons nailed to trees. He wins and sets a new course record (for that age group, I presume). Then, as the movie ends, we see him delivering a short speech regarding autism.

Breaking Stereotypes

Author: Al Herrera from United States
17 February 2005

MIRACLE RUN shows how a mother's love can inspire her children to do the impossible. No (wo)man is an island and the boys could probably not have done it without the compassion, care and determination of their mother's want for them to have a place in this world. It'll take you beyond what you ever imagined. This film is positive and uplifting. Miracle Run is similar to A BEAUTIFUL MIND--both films break the stereotype of it's particular disability. MIRACLE RUN is a true American story of hope, determination and overcoming obstacles. This movie is why movies are made--to inspire and motivate others to do what seems to be an unaccomplishable task. Isn't that what ROCKY is about?

Autism Run

Author: lolie973 from United States
18 June 2008

I am 13 years old and I have a 14 year-old autistic brother. He acts just like the twins, so if some of yall don't think what autism is like, maybe you just don't understand it! But I help at a softball league for kids with disabilities and with my brother's class at school. My brother was almost death also, but when he was 3 he had surgery to help with his left ear. But anyway, this exactly what my brother is like, and throwing tantrums and hand flapping, eye blinking, putting things in order or in a line, is perfectly normal, my brother has done all of that. My sister and I always go to the same school with him so if he starts s tantrum we can be there to calm him down.

Miracle Run is a movie about a single mother's discovery that her twin sons have autism, and her struggle with accepting this and helping them reach their potential.

Author: nealclan7 from United States
20 October 2007

I thought that this movie was awesome!! I have an autistic seven year old, and he is also in regular ed. It was a struggle to get him there.

I feel the actors portrayal of autism was right on target. My son is high functioning so there were some behaviors that I myself have never delt with. But I know many families with children on all ends of the spectrum and I have seen those behaviors.

I love that the ultimate goal for The Miracle Run foundation is to find a cure for autism. She understands that even though her sons have made great strides, they are still held back by their autism. While there is no cure right now, there are many people who have made a full recovery from autism and are considered no longer on the spectrum. Never think that these kids have gone as far as they can go. Thank you for bringing these important issues to light. Great movie!

Amazing History , I have a similar case on my family

Author: from Brazil
24 September 2007

I watched this movie today and was really touched.

The whole twins history, the man leaving, and the problem's that the whole family went thought.

In my family we have a similar case, My ant had twins both with authism and hiperactive syndrome. She got divor- ced from her husband couple years after find out about their problems , it's a really difficult situation, especially for parents, who have to manage a really strict way of raising then with what every parent want to do that is helping and not letting their sons struggle.

I just thought suggestin a cure for authism a mistake, there's not a cure it is suggest, the kid will always have authism, but he can manage a way to surpass the problem, and have a good life. Great Movie

Miracle Run

Author: lmturley4 from United States
31 January 2007

I love this movie. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at the age of 4 and this movie gave me new prospective on this condition. He was like Philip who would line things up by shape, color, and size. No matter how the teacher told him to do it a different way, it always went back to the line up.

I, like Corrina was desperate to keep him in a normal show. I just wasn't sure how, and being with the military, it was difficult in trying to find the right answers, because no one did not know much about AS.

I am thankful to Corrina Morgan-Thomas, who has the courage to stand up and fight for her boys.

Awesome, but not believable.

Author: Pepper_Mouth from United States
17 January 2007

I have a nearly 9 year old brother, who also is a 'High-Functioning' autistic. The only problem is, they don't actually understand the definition. Yeah, they throw occasional tantrums, but my brother throes them if you touch his toy or whatever.

Bottom line. Not realistic, but funny at the trouble they think they can do. (Go fishing in their PJ's, thinking a movie is a good influence on behavior, etc.) 8/10.

But my little brother's much, much different. Maybe it's the type or level of autism, I don't know.

Autism is not what they are portraying. They're portraying autistics as dopes. They aren't.

This is a 10

Author: d-e-jackson1 from United States
8 January 2007

I felt that this movie was very believable. I have a 9-yr old autistic grandson whose behavior is very like that of the two young boys. The arm flapping and eye avoidance is perfectly normal for children with autism.

I was glad to see the growth progression from 7 years of age to 14 years of age. These were fraternal twins who generally have different looks to go along with their different personalities. It was encouraging to see that these boys did pursue different opportunities from each other and though each opportunity was a challenge, they both were able to enjoy successes. It was also heart warming to see a mother so devoted to their education.

It is indeed gratifying to see autism out in the open and portrayed truthfully as in this movie.

This movie touched home for me...

Author: Martha Cabrera (NYCMOPS@yahoo.com) from United States
11 October 2006

I saw this movie more times than I can think of right now. I learn something every time. Is uplifting, emotional, informative, eye opening, realistical and right on point with the reality that parents (Mama's) like me have to live with the struggle of searching still today 12 years after this movie first aired for our Autistic children to have the same type of consideration as normal developing kids. I have 2 kids. My son just turned 5 on the 5th of October '06 and he was diagnosed at the age of 2 years old as severely Autistic with no behavioral problems there were not many programs for him then and still aren't. A lot of Education Staff just thinks they have to be general and still fail to realize that Autism is very different from child to child. I have seen similarities on other children with my son but not one that is just like my son. In this movie I see how that is true even in twins. I LOVED and still LOVE this movie. There is much to learn about not giving up and how putting our kids needs #1 does DOES pay off. A lot of objections when we put our kids first from people that want everything to be the same and don't know how to react to a different family. Saddens me but is still the case. I cry when I saw this again here in NY last night. Is sad the speech at the end when he reads to his mom how he didn't know how to have friends. I had a second child because long before I learned that my son was Autistic he had no friends and trust me I literally through myself at people almost and everyewhere we went but not luck for him making friends. His sister is normal developing child, and a lot of people don't like to say "normal" but it is what it is. My 2 kids are very close and love one another. She's brought out a lot of good socializing qualities in her brother. He is a sweet, gentle, quiet, loving, caring, concerned and did I say sweet boy. He began talking after being very sick and hospitalized on Thanksgiving of 2005. I hope everyone gets to see this movie learns that Autistic kids aren't crazy, they are just Autistic. Is heartbreaking in many ways but for me and my little girl is been a blessing in more ways. My son has actually taught us to appreciate the smallest of things. What we see, hear, feel, touch, and hugs and hugs and love. I thank God everyday for my two kids, my sweet loving little family-my Sunshine kids. Without them there is never sun in my life.

Honstly, Martha Cabrera www.parenttalkusa.com