IMDb > "Sex Traffic" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sex Traffic"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Sex Traffic" More at IMDbPro »

Author: majsanja from Serbia
11 June 2006

I have to apologize to you all if my English is bad. I will try to be the most understandable then ever. I just finished with watching the first part of this movie. No movie left such a powerful impression on me as this one. I was crying like a baby. And those tears were not the result of happiness. I do not want to talk about production. That is not important. Important is the thing that there are some people, girls, and they are just like Lena and Vara, but not in the movie yet in real life. How we could help them? What can we do for not happening these things to some girl? It is awful...really awful. And I am ashamed for being a human!

Human traffic

Author: paul2001sw-1 (paul2001sw@yahoo.co.uk) from Saffron Walden, UK
22 October 2004

It's easy to understand why someone who is starving and homeless might risk everything in search of a better life abroad. But there are countries in which, although they are poorer than the affluent west, people can get by. So why do their citizens endure the most appalling hardship as economic migrants and illegal immigrants? Blame it on the grotesque disparities in exchange rates, which mean that a year's savings in Britain might be a lifetime's in Moldova; but blame it also on our most corrosive export, the myth that sustains our own societies, that man can control his own destiny, that we can, that we must, always seek to make something more of our lives. The irony is that the pursuit of this dream can take all of us only further away from what matters: a place in which, and people with whom, we can be at home.

The subject matter of migration has been excellently served in recent years, through the wonderful Channel Four documentary, 'The Last Peasants', and through Michael Winterbottom's sublime film, 'In This World'. 'Sex Traffic' completes a noble trilogy, with its harrowing but sadly convincing script, fine direction and stunning performances from its leads: British actor John Simm and, in two more demanding roles, a brilliant pair of young Romanian actresses, Anamaria Varince and Maria Popistasu. Serious but also dramatic, this is an outstanding mini-series. I have only two relatively minor quibbles: the journalistic, pseudo-documentary feel is slightly overdone, especially in episode one (the story doesn't need such heavy-handed treatment); and the strange way the film stigmatises an American multinational company. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that the power of such companies is one the main causes of the economic imbalances that fundamentally drive migration; but this company is merely guilty of covering up the fact that some of its employees have done bad things (but of course, it's easier to blame a bogeyman than it is to blame ourselves, and our own outrageous share of the global wealth). Don't let these matters put you off watching one of the most outstanding, emotional, and important, dramas of the year.

Indeed a great movie.

Author: siderite from Romania
3 June 2005

I expected this movie to have won the BAFTA award only for showing a controversial subject and being a Romanian co-production, like a sympathy vote for our lesser movies. I was completely blown away after seeing it. It was a film where international actors (american, British, Romanian being the most) created realistic scenes, completely believable and inspiring. Great script, directing and acting.

What is this movie about? It's about the ultimate feeling of helplessness. The characters all feel it at some time or the other and certainly the viewers do. As young girls are hauled away through Eastern and Western Europe, the viewer is raped as they are in that comfy belief that human society is nice, modern and evolved.

It is one of those few movies that make you feel sick inside, without being gory or too graphic. Is it a global conspiracy to blame for the evil depicted in the film? No, it's simple human nature. I can only compare this movie with Das Experiment, a movie that I recently saw, or with the more classic Cannibal Holocaust. It does feel a bit lengthy at times, but that's because you can't believe what you are seeing. You do believe it, but you don't want to.

A great performance from our Romanian actors. I loved the girls and the fat policeman. A great performance from the other actors as well, but in the end, they just fade away in front of the script and directing. Great job! I want more. Actually, I don't. I want a bit less. I am still shook up.

This is a story that grabs, holds on and haunts long after!

Author: wwhitbeck from Canada
19 June 2005

Expectations were low when I decided to PPV this two part flick. I was blown away! This story held me enthralled enough to desperately search out part two within seconds of the end of part one.

While I would like to think that this kind of thing doesn't happen in the free world, I'm convinced that it does and the portrayal here is as accurate as you are ever likely to get. What these sisters endure is simply tragic. Lives are destroyed because someone dared to dream, and follow that dream.

This movie is also a testament to the love and bond of sisters. When one sister begins to spiral downwards her sister will do anything to bring her back, even if it ensures that she herself will continue along in the hell hole they are trapped.

This is a must watch movie for every male and female on the planet. Don't just watch...feel.

Truly shocking, but very true

Author: Java Bean from Netherlands
3 September 2006

I came across this film while flicking through the TV channels one late evening. Funnily enough, my wife and I thought that we might have a night of romance before watching this film. However, after nearly thirty minutes of watching the terror unleashed on the women in this film, any thoughts of sex quickly disappeared from our minds. The film portrayed the truly tragic story of young east European women sold into the sex trade. After living in England for many years, there were some chilling reminders for me, such as the brothel in a normal residential street, and the east European gangs that operate in London's underground stations - all of which I have seen with my own eyes! Perhaps the most terrifying detail in this film was the level of sophistication of the gangs, resident in almost every European country, with far reaching contacts in the community. I would advise everyone to watch this film, as it is chilling reminder of the level of double standards in this world, and how corporations in war torn countries operate with total impunity, under the premise of "we're helping them with their reconstruction".

This may be the most important movie you ever see.

Author: littlekingltd from United States
28 June 2007

I am saddened that this film could not be seen by more people. Yes, it is gritty. Yes, it is rough. But it will change your life and will make you want to change the lives of others. David Yates crafts the horrific images and reality of the sex trafficking world. He is a hero for affecting so many (or so few?) by taking on this task.

When the film was over, I wished there was a list of phone numbers of organizations I could call to help prevent these atrocities from occurring any longer. You will too. Please, instead of passing on one of those ridiculous emails, thinking that you will make a change, pass this movie on - it might actually get the job done.

strong and realistic docu-drama

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
25 August 2007

This is what director David Yates was doing before the last Harry Poter and I believe that he is worth being looked attentively, because this is a very different kind of movie and he is doing very well. This is a docu-drama about a very serious social and human problem for the countries in Eastern Europe and for the West as well, the human trafficking and sexual slavery that throws each year thousands of young girls aspiring to a better life in the hands of prostitution rings all over the 'civilized' world.

The script is well written, with a credible story, even if the big corporation involvement part was a little too conventional. Acting is clean and efficient, and the mix of nationalities and languages is very credible. Directing is made with a sure hand, locations are well and realistically filmed and this TV movie makes a strong and moving case for a problem that should not be ignored.

What the hell ?

Author: iang-3 from Vancouver
11 October 2004

After seeing this 2 parter on CBC this weekend, I must confess complete and utter ignorance of this issue. For a while I thought we had learned from the mistakes of the past, only to find we in the 21st Century are no different from those of the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries in regard to the buying and selling of human flesh.

Who are buying these women ? What makes this trade work ? Is it us men ? Is it our partners for withholding sex to get what they want ? What a screwed up world we live in. These are the questions I am faced with after seeing this program.

This mini series portrays the sex slave industry is its gory details. Two young sisters, in an effort for a better life, are sold and moved through eastern to western Europe and eventually find themselves in London. How they make the journey is by the far the most scariest thing a human could ever experience.

My one beef is that the CBC left in the violence, rape scenes and beatings and edited out the F word every time - bizarre.

A businessman's view

Author: nick-1265 from Australia
13 January 2006

I guess we just haven't been out of our caves long enough if these depraved specimens of human kind still walk among us. Whereas I could happily watch the traffickers neck deep in an ant nest there was one aspect that seemed a little odd. The price paid for these women seemed way low considering the ROI. I am naive enough to hope for some black ops assassin squad to clean up some of these slavers and at least put some mortal fear into the rest. Shame is that, as usual, those in power are usually enmeshed in this disgusting tapestry. An excellent film that is unfortunately wasted on the likes of us. We will be appalled then dismayed to the point of tears then look for the nearest comedy.

extremely realistic

Author: djmoff from Canada
16 September 2005

this movie is one of the best made for TV movies that I've ever seen. Don't know whether it was due to the cast or just the topic.It was too realistic for my wife. She had to leave the room when the lead actress was raped. Wendy Crewson as always and the newcomer Anamaria Marinca are incredible talents.The director has chosen just the right lighting and location sets to add to the dark mood required to reinforce just how seedy this business is. I realize that this was partly a Canadian production but it detracted from the storyline to see distinguished and easily identifiable Canadians playing Americans. I'm referring to such notables as Len Cariou and Maury Chaykin. I realize that this may seem a bit strange that I'm not complaining about Ms Crewson as well but she's played Americans in so many movies (notably the President's wife in one) that I had no problem with her although I would have preferred her to be a Canadian too. I still don't understand why in their hope to be seen in the U.S., movie makers feel that Americans will only identify with themselves. American movie goers are much brighter than other countries give them credit for.