IMDb > The Poseidon Adventure (2005) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Poseidon Adventure

The Poseidon Adventure (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Pretty poor, but so was the original

Author: 17268 from Waynesboro, PA
29 May 2006

The popularity of the original "Poseidon Adventure" has always baffled me. Almost all of the "special" effects were on screen fairly early in the film, while the rest of the movie basically focused on a diminishing number of survivors crawling through the ship's corridors and pipes. The remake at least updated things with the terrorist plot, and there were a number of other changes from the original as well. The acting in the newer version was a trade-off--at least no one gnawed the scenery as gratingly as Shelley Winters in the original. It seems to me that one version of "Poseidon" was about as mediocre as the other. As for the "wonderful" music in the original--apparently the version I saw had a different soundtrack.

booooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Author: mjwh1880 from United States
31 December 2005

I sort of liked the movie. A little inventive but OK. It Took the magic out of the first movie.Didn't like the script lines though. They Used the ship Voyager of The Seas as the SS Poseidon. The idea of terrorists is stupid, but this should have been made as a different movie. They should have done better with the capsizing scene, the ship would have sank backwards with the bombs going off in the back. The actors the director picked were OK.

Don't think this is as good as the first, cause it is not. Not worth buying at wal-mart. You cant send an email when the ship is capsized. the water would have disrupted the signal. the ship lost all comunication and the email woudn't have worked.

This Certainly Sinks the Damn Ship

Author: John Bale from Australia
18 October 2005

One of the Navy Seals gets to say towards the end of the film "It's taking too long" - and he's right on the money there. This overlong version is even sillier than the original. The first film at least had a very strong cast, and despite the mouthing of some nonsense, it was put together with a degree of suspense and originality, the idea of the ship inverting. Plus the sets rather gave credibility to this concept and were well designed. Here the lesser cast (with perhaps the exception of Byran Brown) are given even sillier lines to handle, with a nice lack of continuity and poor editing. And the sets are not as effective. It simply doesn't wash, even in the ocean. While some of original storyline is kept intact, updating with terrorists and a heap of footage on the rescue attempt, cause the long sequences lose much impact especially on the small screen. We also have the most irritating child with a video camera who certainly doesn't add much to anything. Better just watch the original film and be done with it.

New Posiedon Adventure...(without all the silly puns)

Author: Carla Jenkins from Australia
9 October 2005

At 7 30pm last night while having dinner, i was fortunate enough to catch this new TV Movie adventure after having seen the adds calling it the "Best Thriller on TV Yet!!!" I've never seen any of the other Posiedon versions so I liked this movie from a "newbies" perspective. The plot line was very awesome and fast moving which is good when watching, unlike Titanic where you're sitting there going "Just DIE ALREADY!!!" It kept the viewer on edge and constantly glued to the screen which i found was excellent since not many movies in this day and age seem to comprehend the concept of GOOD suspense. The level of violence was another thing i liked about it, if you can sit down and have a family meal and watch this sort of thing at the same time is awesome, you get to have two good things a meal and a good movie. Many movies today turn to senseless gore for the answer of entertainment and me having a weak stomach, i don't think this is very fair. This movie opened up hope for me. Its a good movie to watch if the only other thing on television is Cricket and i'm very glad i found this movie!!! However, i do have to say a few things i saw that didn't impress me about the movie. The digital imaging left much to be desired in a few spots with the frames being visibly fake. In some places such as when the group of 11 are walking across the fire pit in the ship, i found that there was too much talking to make it seem like a real panic. By the time they all got across the ship should have sunk already. Also at the end when their all watching the ship sink, one, it sunk way to fast too quickly to have not sunk more before hand, and two as soon as the ship sunk the credits rolled... and your left wondering, is that really it? What happens??!!?!?! That is a good thing in most cases however for me its really annoying.

On the whole, i liked it for a Sunday night entertainer and if movies build more on this concept in this day and age and improve further on the path that this movie is going on, i shall be much happier to actually get my moneys worth at the Cinema again...

I don't know what you're all talking about.

Author: from United States
1 November 2005

I saw this, and I thought it was riveting entertainment. All of you are so caught up on comparing it to the original that you refuse to rate it based on what it is--a modern adaptation. The casting was solid alongside the pacing, and I felt that all of the characters were fleshed out in interesting ways.

If you're going to comment, you need to evaluate this based on it's own merits, not be fanatical based on truthfulness to the original. How many times have we seen the "boat sinking" story? This new angle feels a lot more fresh and contemporary to me.

So that's my two cents. At least watch it and come up with your own opinion rather than just going along with what everyone else has said.

The Greatest Danger Is the Rioting Fans

Author: gilez66857 (preeves@244students.org) from leroy ks
23 July 2006

This movie is the best TV disaster movie ever. But that's not saying much. It still has it's moments of the "made for TV movie badness" with some shoddy CGI and a little bad acting (not that much). The story is pretty much the same. In this version however, terrorists blow a hole in the ship and it flips. A small group of survivors including a child, his mom, a famous French singer and her big time producer husband, an widow, the ship marshal, the terrorist, a preacher and other members of the crew then head up to safety. Meanwhile, the husband of one of the women and his lover (who were in her room) make their way to the ball room and when they get there, they too along with 2 others head up the same way. All of a sudden, a huge wave wipes out the ballroom. I'll let you figure out the rest, but only 9 people make. This movie is more character-based than the original, but is still a fitting tribute to the 1972 hay day we all know and love. Some mistakes made include not have Linda Rogo on board (everyone's favorite character in the first) and the character of Belle Rosen. Belle is a lot weaker person in this version (emotionally) and is often rambling about her late husband Manny. I still loved it and think it was worth the $10 I spent on it at Wal-Mart. There still gonna be a few people mad about this made-for-TV flick, but who can blame them? STILL BETTER THAN BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE!

Racist beyond belief! And, was this a real movie?

Author: johnhenrik from United States
12 June 2006

The incredible lack of soul in this movie makes me wonder why I endured about an hour and a half of it. It's like a horrible training movie for homeland security agents; distrust and despise those who look Arab, and/or, not quite white! I question if this movie was constructed to activate racist fears in the people who are uneducated in regard to world events. Or, could the producers of this movie have connections with some secret agency that wants to irritate everyone who has an IQ higher than some of our high-level elected (or selected) government officials. The worst CON-ARTISTS in the world are smarter than any producer who would even consider making anything out of this script. Of course, I've got to try to believe that they have some ulterior motive. What could that be??? Oh GOD, please save us from these hate filled, sick people.

Please, Go down with your ship.

Author: jupiter2-6 from New York, NY
20 November 2005

Obviously, the 1980 strike of the overpaid, overrated Hollywood Screenwriters Guild didn't see the demise of enough of its members. Painfully written for the same lobotomized audience that thought "Mork and Mindy" and "Happy Days" were actually funny, this movie retains as much cheese factor as the overstuffed original, even down to the same cheap Christmas tree. True to form, it has been staffed with the exact brand of "out of work" actors that sank the first bloated epic disaster. Only Shelley Winters could have saved this glorified "Love Boat" bomb but she's nowhere to be seen. I hope she's somewhere laughing. Another good reason to vote for Doctor Assisted suicide in California.

It's just a TV movie

Author: njp704 from United States
21 November 2005

You know, I get a kick out of reading other people's comments about this movie. Especially the old people that choose to compare this to the original. I for one loved the original and this film could never hold up to it. However, there are some people out there that just don't get the enjoyment out of older movies. I don't narrow this down to the younger generation because I am only 23 and I watch a lot of old movies. Some people can't though and that is why it is necessary to do remakes. Now, onto this film. It had a lot of problems. The main one for me was the looks of the boat after it was upside down and the navy seals were right next to it. It looked embarrassingly fake. And the hole in the boat, WHAT WAS THAT?!!! Some of the dialogue and the acting was kind of lame as well. However, I like that fact that a lot of the actors were people that we haven't seen for a while, mainly steve guttenberg and c. thomas howell. Once I knew that they were in the movie it didn't matter if there acting was any good or not. It was just nice to see that they are still around and acting. i don't think they'll ever be big again but they are still good. this movie will never be a classic and soon will be forgotten, but the main reason why i gave it a seven is it didn't leave me bored.

Did the original justice

Author: indy42 from United States
22 November 2005

I saw the original 1972 Poseidon Adventure a couple years ago and I loved it. I saw this hoping that it just did the original justice. And I think it did. This version is about a cruise liner, the S.S. Poseidon, that has terrorists on board that intend to blow up the ship. They plant a bomb and the ship takes in too much water and it capsizes. Only a group survive and head to the bottom of the ship that is above water. The group is lead by Mike Rogo, a homeland security agent, and a terrorist that he captured. It includes many of the original characters in different names, and a couple added. The deaths in the movie are predictable and many of them are pretty weak, but overall, it updated a great movie.

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]