IMDb > Stragglers (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Stragglers More at IMDbPro »

Headache-inducing mess that goes nowhere

Author: nekojiru67 from Saitama, Japan
20 August 2010

After a lengthy and confusing opening with some scientists being menaced by strange sounds in the woods, we're introduced to our main characters. Friends, they've been hired to protect a second pair of scientists returning to the woods to search for the missing first group. The group discover that something in a cave in the woods doesn't want them to leave and is erasing their memories.

Stragglers is an indie, shot-on-video horror film. Production values are low, acting is amateurish (though rarely cringe-inducing) and there are the usual problems with sound: voices being too low to hear, or so loud they overwhelm the mics.

This movie was VERY PAINFUL to watch (literally headache inducing!), because the director/editor chose to insert loud shots of static and television snow every few seconds throughout all flashback scenes. And well over half the film is told in flashback. Imagine watching a movie where every few seconds you lose the picture and a loud burst of static comes from the speakers. Because that's exactly what watching Stragglers is like. Ugh.

I sat through it because I'm an idiot. Don't make the same mistake. Even without the constant static, the movie is mostly storyless and boring. I was hoping for some sort of payoff or worthwhile explanation for what was happening, but the one given is lame and completely unworthy of your time.