Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness Monster

Better than the last one

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
13 November 2004

Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico was no doubt the weakest of the modern Scooby Doo animated features. Loch Ness Monster is a considerable improvement.

This time the gang head off to Scotland to see the Highland Games and visit Blake castle, Daphne's ancestral home. And wouldn't you know, the castle happens to be in the 'quaint' fishing village of Drumnadrochit, on the shores of Loch Ness.

During their stay they meet a few interesting folks. First there is Fiona Pembrooke, a scientist who has drowned all of her money into finding the Loch Ness Monster.

Sir Ian Locksley, the boss of the National Heritage Museum of Scotland, he is staunch non-believer of Nessie.

The Haggarts, the own a cozy Inn on the shores of the loch. The sons are a couple of local jokers, always into mischief.

Del Chilman, a wild, paranoid hippie dude who is convinced the monster is out there and will stop at nothing on find her.

And finally, Duncan MacGubbin, the dock master who has seen Nessie too many times to count.

Most of these characters are stereotypes, which gets a bit annoying as this is teaching younger audiences a load of crap and giving the wrong impression. However if you can immune yourself to it you'll be alright. Being from Scotland I can't help but wince at the awfully mimicked Scottish accents. Fact: We DON'T sound like that.

Soon enough Nessie, looking rather more demonic than 'usual', shows up and causes havoc. Looks like the gang have another mystery on their hands. The usual chase scenes, clues and Shaggy's wacky disguises follow. There are plenty of laughs. The animation is splendid, with some atmospheric scenes and locations. And the plot a lot better than Monster of Mexico.

The only bad thing this time around is the music. I miss Louis Febre's scoring and the songs here are pretty rotten too. Where are the Hex Girls when you need 'em?

The region 2 DVD is in crystal clear 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen (the region 1 ain't) with Dolby 5.0 sound. Some okay extras are included. Definitely worth getting.

the best Scooby Doo adventure yet

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
26 January 2008

good job.that's how i would describe this animated Scooby-Doo adventure.this is so far the best of the animated Scooby movies i have seen.i liked the story.i thought it had some depth to to it.the movie is also well paced.it doesn't get boring for a minute.it also has an interesting group of characters(besides Scooby and Shaggy and the gang,of course)plus,the movie was a real blast.i has a lot of fun watching it.i also liked the great Scottish music.it was very catchy and infectious.naturally,we know that Scooby and the Gamg will solve the mystery,but it's still fun getting to that point.the animation is also pretty good for this movie.i would love it if they did a 3D animation Scooby adventure,but we'll just have to wait and see.for me,Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness monster is a 7/10

An entertaining Scooby Doo film - this time animated. :-)

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
21 January 2008

One of quite a few cartoon Scooby Doo films, "Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster" turns out to be entertaining, exciting, interesting, funny and also does a surprisingly good interpretation of the Highlands of Scotland. One annoying aspect of the film is the voices of many of the characters - American people trying to sound Scottish in this film are unfortunately not succeeding all that well (although some people do better Scottish accents than others).

Daphne has come to the Highlands to see her cousin Shannon and the Highland games at Blake Castle. Gravely Shannon tells the gang that she believes to have seen the Loch Ness Monster. When yet more chaos arises, the Mystery Inc Gang have another mystery on their hands...

Good for Scooby Doo fans and for people who want to find out more about Scotland! Enjoy "Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster"! :-)

Scooby Doo triumphs again

Author: Mike Malkasian (nyhcloyalty@hotmail.com) from United States
4 February 2005

After not being such a big fan of the previous installment into the Scooby Doo movie series (The Monster of Mexico), this movie was a giant step in the right direction. I thought everything in this movie was very well done, not only the plot, but the voice acting, and the jokes as well.

Everyone knows the story of the Lochness Monster, which is where this movie takes place, in Scotland. Daphne's cousin runs the Lochness games, which is in fact terrorized by the Lochness monster, and the rest of the movie is spent trying to view, and capture the reptilian beast, yet Scooby and Shaggy don't seem to have a problem finding him. I definitely do not want to give away anymore of the movie, but I can say that it was very enjoyable, and funny right up until the end, as the jokes in these movies seem to be getting funnier and funnier, as well as the plot deeper and deeper.

After enjoying 19 years of Scooby Doo, I can safely say I find the shows better than ever and can not wait until the next movie...

Not bad I guess

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
3 July 2011

I watched this movie and I can say that while it is still a good Scooby-Doo cartoon it is not the greatest but it is way better than Scooby-Doo and the legend of the vampire and is an improvement from Scooby-Doo and the monster of Mexico, but it just doesn't compare to some of the old Scooby-Doo cartoons like Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island but still gives me the smile I want when I watch a Scooby-Doo cartoon. In this cartoon you are guaranteed many laughs, many good twists and turns, I found it was a bit dragged out but nothing to bad, it also has a semi-predictable ending, but you will definitely enjoy it no matter how old you are.

Scooby and the gang travel to Scotland to join Daphne's cousin Shannon Blake for the very first highland games, it was going to be a great time for Scooby-Doo, Fred, Velma, Daphne, and Shaggy but they high they hear the story of the legendary Loch Ness monster and begin to get curious. During the gangs very first night while staying in Scotland Shaggy and Scooby decide to get a late night snack from the kitchen, while searching through every scary hallway they come face to face with Nessy her self and they are put in a terrifying chase that they will not soon forget. After Scooby-Doo and Shaggy are safe from the Loch Ness monster they tell the rest of the gang what happened and they are immediately on the case. Along the way they are met with classic and funny gags, lots of clever twist and turns, but the story can seem a little dragged out but still enjoyable, the ending I found was predictable but many may not find it predictable.

The plot and setting once again return to the old classic Scooby-Doo where by the end we find out that there was a person behind the mystery the whole time. It still brings back the old feelings and that one of the things I like most about this cartoon.

The storyline the movie follows is not bad, it gives us a good and original mystery, many good and funny gags that always gives a smile, good twists and turns apart from the ending which was kind of predictable, while the story is a little dragged out it is still entertaining and enjoyable.

Once again this cartoon has all star voice cast such as: Frank Welker as Fred and Scooby-Doo, Mindy Cohn as Velma, Grey Delisle as Daphne, and Casye Kasem as Shaggy. All the voice actors do a great job at the character they are playing.

Overall this is a good Scooby-Doo cartoon still not the best but definitely a step up from the previous Scooby-Doo cartoons. When the movie ended I still had the smile I started out with and I am still and always will be a huge Scooby-Doo fan. So make sure you rent or buy Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness monster as it is not the best but it is still guaranteed entertainment and enjoyment for people of all ages.

Overall rating: ******* out of **********

***1/2 out of *****

Love or hate it, you'll know before you start watching

Author: neil-383 (neil@schroeder1542.fsnet.co.uk) from United Kingdom
18 June 2005

My son Adam (5 years old) is a big Scooby Doo fan. He like this film a lot. He particularly liked when the Loch Ness monster tried to attack Shaggy and Scooby. The vote score is his choice and reflects his love of the characters.

Having seen the "Vampire Rock" film first, this, not surprisingly, was very similar as they repeat a well worn basic plot in a different setting.

Few adults will come across this without having their own memories of the TV cartoon series and even fewer will watch it without children. You either like this or love it. I loved Scooby Doo for half an hour as a kid, I am happy my son loves it, I can just about put up with it now.

Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster is a considerable improvement on Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 September 2009

Monster of Mexico I do agree is the weakest of the modern Scooby Doo movies, mainly because of the weak plot and how predictable it all was. Loch Ness Monster however, is a considerable improvement, with gorgeous animation, honestly Scotland looked beautiful. The music is good, and the plot is well thought out. Plus, there is some great dialogue, and the voice acting was fabulous, with Casey Kasem a consistent delight as Shaggy, and the beautiful Scottish singer Sheena Easten a pleasant surprise in a guest starring role. In fact, my only complaints were some strange accents in one or two members of the voice cast, with the exception of Easten whose accent did sound genuine, and somehow the Loch Ness Monster wasn't as well designed as it had potential to be. Overall, a solid and enjoyable Scooby Doo film. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Dull

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
27 February 2008

Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness Monster (2004)

** (out of 4)

Scooby and the gang head off to Scotland to see family members when the legendary sea creature shows up. This here is a minor step up over Legend of the Vampire but it still falls short when compared to the TV show. The animation is a little better here and even the voices seem more energetic this time out. Also worth mentioning is that there are some fun supporting characters and the mystery is decent. Once again the big problem is that the film is so dumbed down that it's hard to get too involved.

It is cool, daddy-o!

Author: Crocketsonsmith from United Kingdom
13 August 2008

Me and mummy were watching 'Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster' in the TV, when a dinosaur came along to me and mummy. Mummy ran away, but I laughed and made the dinosaur go away, by pointing my remote control at it, and hitting the eject button, which ejected me and mummy back out of the TV and into the sitting room, where we had a cup of tea waiting for us brewed by Daddy. Daddy parped. Mummy laughed, because of her sense of humour, and banged her head. This made mummy sad, but I laughed so much that mummy laughed too. Then Daddy parped so much he nearly killed himself. "Sumbulumba!" I said, "Woe" said daddy, and sipped his tea contentedly.

What happened to Scooby?

Author: wile_E2005 from United States
3 March 2005

So far with the made-for-video Scooby movies made since 1998, I kinda liked "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island," I really liked "Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost," I didn't care much for "Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders," and I also liked "Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase." After that, Warner Bros. Animation switched doing the movies in a retro format that was faithful to the original "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" TV series, with the original voice cast, animation style, classic sound effects and remakes of the old Scooby-Doo background music. As a result, I loved "Scooby-Doo and the Legend of the Vampire," and I also really liked "Scooby-Doo and the Monster of Mexico." Unfortunately around the same time, a new Scooby series was made that was based off the 1998-2001 made-for-video Scooby movies with plot styles from the original series, "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" and was a mockery to the franchise, until "Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" came around in 2006. For some reason, starting with this movie, they began doing Scooby-Doo movies that were basically 70-minute episodes of "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" While the plot is rather mediocre, and the animation isn't that great, and they drastically cut down the use of the old H-B sound effects (which was also done with the 1998-2001 movies and the "What's New" TV series). Thomas Chase's music is pretty decent, I liked his "Dexter's Laboratory" compositions, and here it sounded like they used a real orchestra instead of synthesizers like on "What's New?" And they also went and changed Daphne and Velma's voice actors back to Grey DeLisle and Mindy Cohn. Frank Welker still voices Scooby here, and Scooby doesn't say much, like he has in the series and post-2002 movies, maybe because Welker's Scooby-Doo does not sound as close to the original (he sounds more like Brain from DiC's "Inspector Gadget") I thought Del Chillman was an amusing character, though. However, the actual monster, though it was a fake, seemed to be animated in a pretty dark manner, which could probably scare younger viewers, which the 2002-2003 movies and the post-2005 films have been avoiding (this is what "Zombie Island" was criticized for!) So this movie was not only different from the last two in animation and audio, it's also darker as well. If you're a die-hard Scooby-Doo fan, it's worth watching on Cartoon Network or renting, but if you must collect the movies, that is when it's worth buying. I'm not sure if this film is suitable for kids under eight years old, though.