Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Page 5 of 99: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great film but key plots from the book missing

Author: jamesrobertfreeman from United Kingdom
17 July 2009

Like all Harry Potter fans I have read all of the books and seen every film so far. I would have to say that this film is not my favourite so far and leaves you feeling that some vital parts of the book are missing. However this is worth watching and I feel this will only disappoint the most hardcore Harry fans!

With all of the films you can notice that the acting is improving with the maturity of the characters. You can tell that there is a close bond between the actors of which all pull of their roles well. The directing and visual effects, like all of the films to date does not disappoint.

In all a great family film, a pleasure to watch and I would recommend this film to most people. I am glad that the final film will be split into two parts, to be honest they could have done it with this film!

*** For people who have never seen any of the films or read the books I took my friend with me who has not seen or read any of the books and he was completely lost throughout the film (Although he still enjoyed it!). If you wish to see this I would recommend you need to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix first. Otherwise you may find this film a little confusing.

Harry Potter and the Particularly Pathetic Plot...?

Author: kris8384 from United States
15 July 2009

I am going to have to agree with the review stated by Mr Todd above, and for almost all the same reasons...? The battle for Hogwarts was lame, no battle at all. The 'discovery' of just who exactly was the Half-Blood Prince was left out and distilled to a single line at the end in the non-existent battle. The memories from the pensieve were distilled to almost nothing. The memories of Lily and James Potter along with Snape and their time at Hogwarts were left out. The entire memory of Tom Riddles past was left out. Kreature and Dobby were entirely absent.

How are we to feel sorry for the tragedy that is supposed to occur in the following two movies that comprise the seventh book..? There was no character development here, and almost all of the characters whose deaths we are supposed to feel were wooden with no depth and no emotional attachment.

That being said, the actors and director did well with what was obviously a screenplay written by someone who had very little knowledge of the series, and did not bother to educate themselves on the finer points. The screenwriter/scriptwriters should have been fired and replaced.

This movie has been, by far, one of the biggest let downs I have ever had the misfortune to witness. By comparison, "Twilight" was a tour-de-force.

Smells Like A Stale Cauldron

Author: nh_1990 from United Kingdom
15 July 2009

Sadly after a decade of experience and billions of dollars in revenue the franchise would have perfected its movies - but sadly not.

I found the acting wooden and at times laughable whilst the script did nothing to help. With too many "Harry no!" moments it feels as though the writers aim the movie at people who have never heard of the Harry Potter franchise and I was left believing perhaps people who live under a rock may enjoy it!

This movie also managed to ruin my views of successful actors. Alan Rickman for example (whom i always thought to be a competent actor) played character "Severous Snape" managing to deliver one word per hour sounding like an intoxicated sailor on leave. I expect this is supposed to build suspense but due to context it just made me extremely bored.

Harrys decision to mention "voldemort killed my parents" during a conversation about potions I found strange and at moments like those Daniel Radcliffe looked as though he couldn't believe the garbage that was coming out of his mouth (that's one thing we have in common).

There were several LOL moments in the movie (although there weren't meant to be) where i was left in stitches - the fact that so many people take the series seriously scares me!

...after two and a half hours of stimulation famine i am left wondering if the success of these movies is down to the rose tinted glasses worn by its besotted fans, which allows the people involved in the movie to do no-wrong or if the millions of people are seeing something other than the stuporous motion picture i have witnessed.

1 hour and 20 minutes before the first exciting scene

Author: jpheihun from United States
15 July 2009

It's a good thing I like well-made movies, good acting, and relationship stories, but that's not why I go to Harry Potter movies. I started going to the HP films for the wonder and imagination, my favorites are the day to day magic like making dinner, and scenes where the Hogwarts students are learning magic. There was 1 interesting potions scene, no defense against the dark arts, 1 new discovery by Potter, 1 fun cleaning the house scene, no interesting dining hall magic during dinners, and Voldemort is not in this film. It had some comedic scenes, but nothing to make me laugh long enough to miss anything important.

The sets were again amazing. I LOVED Fred and George's shop scene. The memory scenes were captivating. The quidditch games were good but not as exciting as earlier films. Hermione's brilliance was completely overlooked. The Half-Blood Prince storyline was skipped, Dumbledore's withering hand storyline was skipped. The ending had a twist but was underwhelming.

I would always recommend Harry Potter be viewed on the big screen, some over and over again, but this is one I will not see again until the video comes out.

OMG......Worst HP movie ever

Author: addyinnocent17 from India
19 July 2009

OK....As a big Harry Potter fan i waited for the movie....scheduled to release in November, i was disappointed to see the movie release delayed for 6 months. i waited and waited and then the day it was released in India, i went to see it. I had high anticipations from the movie after seeing its trailers which were really looking good. Even after the poor attempt of David Yates at the fifth part, i was hopeful that he would do justice to the best book in the Harry Potter series but i was wrong!!!! First the good points of the movie. The special effects and the visuals were really stunning and high quality. Dan and others acted really well and it was nice to see Ginny having a meaty role in the movie. She looks gorgeous. The Scenes at Lake were really upto the mark. We had some nice comic moments well enacted by Dan and Rupert. But let me ask...is that the reason one goes to see a Harry Potter movie?? I didn't go to see a teenage romantic comedy. The tagline of the movie says that Harry and Dumbledore try to unravel Voldemort's past and the time we actually get to see his past in only 10 minutes in a damn 2:30 hours movie!!!! The durseleys were totally left out. So were Bill and Fleur. Hagrid got only two scenes in the whole movie.

The only thing we learnt about Voldemort is that he learnt to make horcruxes. Director and writers do not care about telling us what things he chooses to make horcruxes which was so nicely told in the movie.

No reference was made for Voldemort's father, mother, Gaunt. No reference for Voldemort's deeds after schooling what so ever. After 2 hours of comedy sequences between Lavender and "Won Won", we come to know about horcruxes and thats all!!!! this is serious crap....

There is virtually no story in the movie....I am concluded that David Yates doesn't even know how to tell a story in a movie. Nor does he ever bother to read the novel.

The last scene was totally a let down which made the movie a complete disappointment for everyone. Death eaters just enter hogwarts and Snape kills Dumbledore with Harry standing just one floor under watching everything like a coward (in the novel he was immobilised by Dumbledore's spell). They kill Dumbledore and leave Hogwarts quietly without any fight without anyone watching except Harry. This is bullshit!!! in the novel, the fight sequence in the end was so amazing with the Order of phoenix and DA fighting the death eaters...the same was totally missed out which could have been the best part of the movie..

Some people might say that its impossible to put the whole novel in a 2:30 hour movie but then how did Lord of the Rings or the Narnia movies manage to do it....

So this movie was the worst Harry Potter movie and David Yates as an HP director is bad luck for HP fans. I wondered whether Warner Bros should have got Chris Nolan to direct this movie.

I am not keeping my fingers crossed for the seventh part as i am now sure that we will again get a totally crap movie thanks to Warner Bros that David is directing the last HP assignment.

In the nutshell....A Total disastrous movie....Don't waste your time watching it....

Didn't care how TOM RIDDLE turned into VOLDEMORT but cared how HARRY POTTER turned into adult

Author: nik_yashu from Delhi, India
19 July 2009

******THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS****** A great Opening scene and i held my breath because i knew this was gonna be the best.. Yeah like many says HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE is the best book in potter series. We read it, imagined it, cried,laughed, got thrilled n etc. But this could be great adaption turned into a joke. Yeah a joke. The genre of this movie should be a ROMANTIC COMEDY because it hardly focused on the soul of the book. Apart of burning the burrow to create a fake ectasy, they would have been focusing on at least adding a single 2-3 minute memory of Voldemort's but sorry potter fans, they wouldn't.. Coz they was trying to create a ROMANTIC COMEDY..

I am disappointed coz last five movies was promising and used to leave us in questions for the next one but this movie even couldn't handle that.

No Dumbledore funeral, i wonder how they will gonna use this facts in deathly hallows.

No explanations for horcruxes.. HOW DUMBLEDORE PUT HIS HANDS ON THEM? WHAT KIND OF OBJECTS WAS THE KEEN INTEREST OF TOM RIDDLE? NO KILLING SEQUENCE OF THE RIDDLE FAMILY?? Mind me this could be the best and disturbing sequence of the movie where we could actually see a menace.

NO HUFFLEPUFF CUP? NO DOBBY? NO BILL AND FLEUR? NO DISCUSSIONS OF SERIUS BLACKS'S WILL? A complete waste in the end.. Hope they will do justice to next two...

Worst Potter

Author: S Insch from Austria
26 July 2009

Most important parts of the book were missing or changed in a senseless way. There also a lot of things where you have no clue whats going on if you haven't read the book.

Tom Riddles past is non existent (2 mini memories) ... but that's what the book is all about - Voldemorts past.

The fight at the end ... would you really think Harry would stand there and watch Dumbledore die? Harry tries everything to help him in the book - here, Potter looks like a coward - he should win against Voldemort?

This is the first movie where I really think I won't buy it. It has no meaning anyway because the important stuff is ONLY in the book. Don't waste time to watch this.

Worst one yet.

Author: fer-v from Peru
16 July 2009

I saw the movie last night. I have ONE BIG QUESTION: HOW ON EARTH DID JK ROWLING ALLOW THEM TO DO THIS!!!?????

I mean what's with adding scenes that are absolutely unnecessary? Why show the Burrow burning down instead of the huge fight at the end of the book? I understand that they can't fit everything into a reasonable amount of time, but come on! Why add things that make no sense? Why change important parts like the scene where Dumbledore is killed and Harry just stands there looking like an idiot.. was it too hard to do it the book's way instead? Was it too difficult to make the light from the potion in the cave look green instead of white? Was it too hard for the people that made the movie to have a big ring with a big black stone be the horrocrux instead of a tiny little ring that was unimpressive? I mean why change little details like that? I think they are starting to think that people won't notice stuff, when in reality we actually do!!! What's with all the focus being on the love story and the funny parts when the book actually focuses on Tom riddle and his life story??? And why change the kiss scene between Ginny and Harry? Was it too hard to have them kiss in the common room????????????

you moronic people :(

I'm very disappointed :(

Do they have the right to change the script ?

Author: sakcen from Istanbul, Turkey
19 July 2009

This was the worst Harry Potter movie ever. I wonder if the Author knew about the scenario, cause we supposed to learn about Voldemort (Heir of Slytherin) in this movie and the Horcruxes. How did Dumbledore cursed while trying to destroy one? Did anyone see it? Or the necklace? How did Voldemort obtain the necklace, before Albania or after it :D. How did Ron start dating with Lev? it was because of Victor Krum, but did we see it? Phoenix??? Funeral??? Kids seems like they were used to the death of Dumbledore, where were the tears and prick of conscience of Harry? (he supposed to be stunned under the cloak and that was why he couldn't stop Snape killing Dumbledore)Minister's proposal? ETC..

I'm really angry at this moment but I don't think it will change, I just watched some sightseeing of Hogwarts some special FXs and some meaningless glances of kids to each others. I started to believe that easy money makes the production team too relaxed to shoot a good movie in the end. After 5 years you shouldn't do this to the fans.

Absolute Rubbish! They changed several parts from the actual book! Disappointing!

Author: sharmari1 from United States
18 July 2009

I have purchased all the Harry Potter movies thus far; however, this one I will not bother to purchase. It is not worthy of my collection. Harry Potter followers waited a long time for this particular movie. We all know that there was trouble with production, as well as fatalities, and this is what we get for our wait?! Absolute Rubbish!

I believe a number of people mentioned that the book was better, and that they left a lot of bit out of the movie. If only that were the worst thing they did. Sometimes it is necessary to cut certain parts out, as and entire book could end up making one very long movie. So that I understand.However, changing the content of the actual book/ story, was what murdered this movie for me. The producers of this movie actually did exactly that. They changed part of the actual book. I didn't know that they could do that. Perhaps the writer gave them permission, but it was a huge mistake.

Having said that, even if you had not read the book, the movie was total rubbish. The worst part for me, was the extra bits they threw in that were not in the book, just so they could give the retarded & ugly Helen Carter more parts in the movie. Please do not misunderstand me. Bellatrix from the book is a fascinating woman. I cannot say the same about Helena Carter, who is absolutely grotesque in every way.

In the book, the Weasley's house never burned down, and the idiot character Bellatrix was no where near the Weasley's house at Christmas break ...or any other time for that matter! Neither was Bellatrix present at Hogwarts when the Malfoy let the Death Eaters in through the cabinet, or any other time for that matter! It was bad enough having her in the previous film, but to make-up parts that were not in the book, just to give the annoying woman extra parts was totally unforgivable!!! In fact, the only part that the character Bellatrix had in the entire book, was the part when her and her sister visited Snape at his home. And, even that part was changed from the book.

Indeed, so many parts were changed from the actual book in this movie, that I can honestly say that they took very little from the actual book to put this movie together. Please, do not pay to watch this movie. It will be a total waste of your money. On the other hand, if you are an air-head who like any kind of action film, even if they have no rhythm or reason, then by all means go for it. :-) In truth, that is the only sort of person that could enjoy this movie! If you have a bit of imagination, the money is burning a hole in your pocket, then do yourself a favor and buy the book instead. It is so much better, and I wager your imagination can do a great deal better than the idiot producer/ directors of this movie!

The only part of the whole movie that I quite enjoyed, was the part when Ronald Weasley thought that Harry had slipped him some of his luck potion, followed by some terrific moves in their Quidditch match. They even managed to ruin Harry and Ginny's first kiss! Not to mention, it was Hermoine that saw Harry, when he pretended to slip Ron the luck potion, not Luna. Also, it was Tonks that found Harry on the train after Malfoy froze him and broke his nose, not Luna with her goofy spectrespecs. It was Tonks that fixed Harry's broken nose with the Episky charm, not Luna. In fact, Tonks was was more of a main character in this book, and she was barely in the movie.

All in all, it was the most disappointing, and the worst of the Harry Potter movies thus far. To the producers ...it was not worth the wait!!! I am certain that many Harry Potter fans agree with me, when I say, I sincerely hope that they get a different producer/ director for the Deathly Hallows. The plan is to split the book into 2 movies, because it is such a long book with a great deal more content than previous Potter books. So, come on people! They are suppose to be the last of the Harry Potter movies. Don't disappoint us by giving us more of this sort of rubbish! Having said that, it will be worth it to see Molly Weasley kill Helena ...I mean Bellatrix. :-) That is, if the idiot producers/ directors do not decide to cut that part of the book out as well ...or worse ...change it!