Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Page 18 of 99: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

The book is still better but I have to say HP6 the movie is good!

Author: Tom van der Esch from Netherlands
7 September 2009

Harry Potter and the half-blood Prince.

I remember reading the book and was completely moved by it. There is a LOT of character and story development in it. And then there is of course the tragic and depressive ending.

So I went to see the movie version in the cinema last weekend. It was an entertaining ride. Of course, the book is still better in my opinion. but they certainly tried to capture the essence of the pages on film.

I really like the overall atmosphere of the movie. You know it's a dark movie full of mysteries right from the start.

There are some lovable characters in here as well. I laughed about Luna Lovegood because she's so vague. Wonderful character!

The acting is once again superb. All the returning stars are here and do their job masterfully.

Okay, they couldn't throw in every single aspect of the book, but it's hardly possible to do so because there are so many.

7 out of 10 stars!

The darker, though the lonelier the movie appeared more closer…

Author: Sanou_san from Philippines
4 September 2009

I never broke my habit of watching Harry Potter movies the time they became available in theaters. For its recent movies indeed warner brothers had made its integrity solid and best in the film industry. They say the farther the movie gets into the more it gets darker. I appreciate well how they have depicted Order of the Phoenix in the big screen. I wasn't disappointed on the other hand how Half Blood Prince appeared to lack with action, but then it had served its purpose to real viewers who knows how to understand the film's crew's intention of bringing it into theaters. The HBP centered much of course on the revelation of Voldermort's past, how it played well to Harry and Dumbldore's quest of defeating him. Most of his memories had given Harry what Voldermort had done to him and at the same time served as a clue for them in defeating the dark lord. The film most of my friends said had indeed departed so much with the book. I believe however that the writers had done well, and I also had faith that this would go well for everything written and made for the Harry Potter movies got approval of J.K. Rowling herself. I got the speculation that they are recovering for their extreme budget expenditures from Order of the Phoenix, since it indeed involve wizardry battle of elite level. They had to limit it and found a leeway of depicting into the screen HBP into a revelation rather than battle-packed episode. I got faith on the Harry Potter movie crews for creating the final movies in the future as good as its viewers expect. Nevertheless, HBP had been depicted beautifully and I really appreciated well how they portray the true intention of the book to the viewers.

I'll give it a B+

Author: lilwill1997 from United States
30 July 2009

I thought this harry potter movie was really good. But i thought the ending was pretty bad because they didn't do the battle that was in the end of the book.

I thought the kiss scene between Harry and Ginny was a little disappointing. Because they didn't do it as it was in the book.

This was the 4th best harry potter movie right after Golbet of fire, Chamber of sercets and Prisoner of Azakbran. They took a lot of stuff from the book out.

This was one of the most disappointing Harry potter movies. Because of what they left out from the book. I thought it need a little more action scenes in the movie. And they focus a little to much on the love story.

I can't wait to see it in imax. Because the special effects were great as always.

It's good that there splitting the last book into two movies. Because now they should not leave anything out from the book.

The Half-Blood Prince

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
30 July 2009

The latest installment in the Harry Potter series left me quite optimistic for the upcoming two-part ending to the film adaptation, but left me cold in its own right. My reasons for being hopeful for the future are mostly to do with the fact that Steve Kloves seems to have finally understood that the Harry Potter stories are hugely character-driven, and that adaptations should have that in mind instead of just rushing through the Major Plot Points (and his previous adaptations, which essentially crippled the film series and kept it from reaching its full potential, don't even cover the Small Plot Points which become Major Plot Points in later installments of Rowling's tightly-plotted fantasy saga).

Indeed, those bits really work here, it translates much of the charm of the sixth book, rooted in the characters dealing with their hormones, to film very well. David Yates and his editors prove excellent at capturing the comedic aspects of the film, which are plentiful, and the actors delight in performing them. The main three actors haven't just grown out of their young awkwardness, but have truly become their characters, so much so that everything they do here seems to be second nature. The presence of seemingly natural comedians and comediennes in the main and supporting cast really helps the film's teen comedy, which is genuinely sweet and good-natured and fun.

Where the film fails is in maintaining the right tone, which was always going to be tricky for this particular book in the series. The Big Action Set-Pieces are messily woven into the bigger picture, a fault of the screenplay probably but Yates doesn't help keep the film's tonality from wavering constantly. Credit to Yates for staging the Big Action Set-Pieces quite nicely, though, particularly the washroom battle between Harry and Malfoy, which is spatially coherent despite being quite hectic. The actors perform earnestly during the Big Dramatic Scenes, but the film has several scenes towards the end which drag on far too long for their own good, and the film does feel its length.

Steve Kloves harmed his own film with the quality of his earlier adaptations, but this was a superior effort when compared to his previous attempts, but still inferior, I thought, to the well-paced and enjoyable adaptation of the fifth book, penned by someone else whose name I'm too lazy to look up right now. In terms of tone, structure, and the strength of the performances, "The Half-Blood Prince" is a step in the right direction, and the movie does a lot right only to fall apart in the final half hour. For now, I'm willing to write this movie's failures off as a misfire and hope for the best for the future. I can't say I'm sorry to see that cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel isn't coming back either.

Lord of Cuts

Author: (anssijauhiainen) from Finland
29 July 2009

Having seen this movie just few days ago... must take its toll. And thereof i MUST see the DVD release (hence making the second look) before making any permanent opinions. But as first look opinion here is mine.

HBP stands out as one potter movie, and as such i never expect anything magnificent that way disappointments can be pinned down to realistic level. As fan of the books... it is hard but i try to see why and what was the idea in the film.

The HBP was great, finely cut film. I am at bit shock why some considered the cuts to be so horrible. Most likely due to the fact how they loved those scenes. For me however, i loved the movie because while it could cram everything in it, it would cut to following scene with pace and harshness I've never seen in potter film before. Editing deserves points.

OK the scene of burrow getting burned WAS deviation, but really it easily connected the tread outside the school and most importantly the pure injustice and evil which Helene B.C. so effectively portrays. Also, for the future films (and near end scene) Greyback was introduced in there. Which i though was huge plus. :) The mood of the film reflected well of mixed feeling which young boys and girls go trough at that age, and in times like this (in HP's world) they tend to do just what i saw. Slughorn character was probably my second favorite in the movie... but whom was my favorite actor in this one? Tied. Between Snape and Draco.

Those 2 really got to do some darn wonderful performances. I've seen Tom felton carry over his role always in the Background, but now he came up front and delivered his best Draco performance I've ever seen; he really showed me how young man unlike Voldemort feels when conspiring murder, in the fear of his own death. He was so good, i honestly couldn't find flaws in his acting :D Snape. Yup, he got shared place too. His slow yet brooding voice took a toll in my judgment. Why you might ask? Because Alan made Snape as mysterious, as dark and as two-faced cold wizard anyone could ever dream of. As Fan of the books, i don't feel regret that movies didn't have everything, or even some bigger scenes. Because i enjoy movies as movies. Books as books, really... i don't WANT to compare them too much because when filming book to film there is only one way you could do it: To make it your own way.

Plus, if Rowling likes it and agrees how it was put together, i see nothing wrong with liking it. Then again,,, its just me :D

Half blood prince was OK... but it's not gonna be in my favourite movie list.^^

Author: bregette_101 from Philippines
27 July 2009

Well for me ... I thought the movie was OK having read the books at least 3 times each. The 6th movie of the Harry Potter series focused more on the emotion part. The emotions were very apparent in the film which blended well with the cinematography and the music. I appreciate the fact that they developed the Harry/Ginny relationship in the film since it was a shocker for some of the readers to see this couple happening. Considering that Harry Potter and the Half blood prince is a pretty long book. I thought the film version was pretty well done. Although I would have been thrilled if they included Voldemort's very dark past(killing his own family for one) and also the battle at Hogwarts and Dumbledore's funeral.

Oh well.. what can i expect. It's pretty hard to turn a novel into a book. I wish they could have done the ending part better though.. sigh

Half blood prince was OK... but it's not gonna be in my favourite movie list.^^

but even with all these things... I still love the 6th HP movie. And rate it an 8.5/10.

Harry Potter 6

Author: helmutty from Singapore
24 July 2009

Harry Potter is now more onto the teenage drama, the first few movies are on the fantasy side. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood prince's pace is not as fast as the recent Harry Potter movies as it is more like a drama. The characters do not do much action, just babble and kiss. I have not read the book so I do not know whether the movie is following according to the book's pace. Though it is heavy on drama, I still enjoyed it.

The story: Yeah, it is darker as the three characters grow into adults, dealing with some adults situations. Although, it has a PG rating in USA, it is quite dark. Everything is dark. Even the clouds are dark in mostly throughout the whole movie. I must say it is the darkest PG movie. Aside from that, action fans should already know that Harry Potter does not feature big and loud action sets. So if you walk in and expect to see big magical action sets, you will be disappointed. There is some mild action involving magic. And they are not as fantastic as the recent movies like Order of phoenix. Still, David Yates did a good on realistic sets and daringly put heavy drama. I have to admit that the pace is a bit slow, it is the last hour that bring the pace faster and more intense.

Overall: Harry Potter's fans will watch this. Those following the Harry Potter movies like me will also catch this. There will be the sequel next and the following year. The long-awaited battle between Harry and Voldemort is coming...

Yeah, not bad. Weak direction and crap music but otherwise good :)

Author: Christopher Reid from Australia
22 July 2009

First I give you my background. Yo, so Azkaban be my favourite so far. Smooth cinematography and a wonderful story energetically and meaningfully told. The first two was also very nice (John Williams in tha house). But Goblet felt rushed. Yeah, it had its moments but dem beats was wack (music not bad per se but didn't enhance the movie enough). Also found that one more fragmented and less distinctive than the earlier ones (which established the whole look and style, y'all). Phoenix worst so far (hopefully ever). Lacked personality (Yates Schmates - no directors' touches). Just going through the motions. And even worse music (yes I consider that incredibly important).

This one was certainly an improvement. Reminded me of how kick-arse the book is. But I didn't have very high expectations. The look was very nice - it has some very memorable images. The climaxes were handled decently (cave scene being my favourite probably). Music (yeah, yeah, shut up, whatever) didn't get in the way too too badly for me. But the extensive teen comedy sections sometimes had music that coulda come from Desperate Housewives. Williams always knew how to really bring scenes to life. Create magic out of nearly nothing. Tension where all seems to be calm. Anticipations of the dark things to come. These kinds of contrasts are well-suited to intelligent audiences if you ask me. They raise questions. Are you watching closely? Perhaps all is not quite as it seems. The game begins!

Moving on. Snape was pretty awesome I thought. Rickman slithers those words out ever so somethingly. Gambon solid as always. Ooh, just remembered. I really liked the scene where Riddle's talking to Horace. Well, mainly that kid and his whole manner. That's the kind of thing that's really fascinating to me and the scene got into that pondering mood. Entices you to think. Was he evil yet? If not, already set on that path? Tempted by power? So intelligent and refined. Was it inevitable? When one is so powerful and "superior", is "evil" (like, say, killing people without remorse) so far-fetched a consideration? After all, who cares about killing spiders or cockroaches?

Now, don't get me wrong. Emma Watson seems like a lovely lass. But she still seems to be overacting. Doesn't really bother me but there's no drama. She's overdoing it. Constantly concerned. Could be directors' fault as I liked her in the first few. Grint is Ron. Same as always. Good with comedy I should admit. Also likable but whatever. He's just Ron. Radcliffe's very cool. I think he's going places. A child star but dealing with it brilliantly (as Potter would say). Great potential. Needs a great director (especially as he matures). Handles both serious parts and comedy well. Broadbent not bad. But pretty plain for a new character. What's the new spark in *this* Potter film? It's not his fault, it's just that he's the new change and he doesn't carry it. Felton in good form - captured Draco's struggle pretty well. Lynch (Lovegood) was very likeably dreamy. She's always in her own world although she's also more observant and perceptive than one might guess and the performance is very convincing. Natural. Seriously, I may have a mini-crush on Luna :/

Special effects generally seamless but not always that exciting (typical camera angles and shot-logic if that makes sense). Man, this is like a post-match analysis. Useless to people who haven't seen the movie (or those that have) unless you're as obsessive as I am. Only big misstep in the movie: a slow-clap (y'know, like some dude starts clapping then others join and then everyone's doin' it and it's oh so moving) but with wands. Guessably occurs during the later stages of the movie. Forced emotion(s) ain't cool.

Summary: good. The time goes by pretty easily. Book fans'll get annoyed at several things (no way!). There are a couple of high points. Awesome cast doing their stuff in front of an indifferent director. Story's great enough that it's generally good. But seriously, the novel's a masterpiece innit?

Love, War, and Crappy Romance for Harry Potter

Author: Raven_God from United States
19 July 2009

I went to the theater with a bit of excitement for the sixth Harry Potter film. Being a BIG fan of the Harry Potter books and being very disappointed (understatement) by the fourth (shudder)and fifth film I want this one to be the one to change the hope for Harry Potter films. It came close yet not so close. Harry Potter book fans prepare to be in a dull treatment from the film and average film goers prepare to enjoy the epic movie.

The Pros of this film are: - Stunning acting, Good Job to Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Jim Broadbent, and especially Tom Felton. These people are magnificent as their characters. They play their pair to the extreme. -Visual effects looked real and dark. -Dark photography that fits the film. -Flashback scenes are awesome!

Cons for this film are:

-It is too much about the romance! This film is more focus on the love and not the war. The book had even amount of war and romance. If the film kept that balance then it would of be good

-The jokes! I swear if they try to make Harry Potter comical again I will scream! The film was dark in the beginning and should stay that way. No more "But I am the Chosen One!" (smack by two by four) or "These girls are going kill me, Harry" Get rid of the stupid one liners that plagued the films since the third.

All in all this film is good for the film goer but to those Harry Potter fans like me let's face it, they don't care about us. These film series are dedicated not to the fans who bought every Harry Potter thing there is but to the families who go to the movies. Yes expected important scenes to be missing that was from the book. But to the person who doesn't know Harry Potter who wouldn't even know. So that is a wrap for my review.

I rate it

Harry Potter Fan stars: 6.3 out of 10

Movie Goer stars: 9.8 of 10

Review stars equals about: 7.5-8.0 out of 10.

Wonderful sizzling darkness, but too much teen romance.

Author: Cissy from Finland
19 July 2009

I went to see HP and the Half-Blood Prince on Friday night. I did enjoy it, seeing it in a crowded cinema, with many teens and kids in eager attendance. I think it's the best movie in the series so far, and the director David Yates is certainly a competent man. The start of the movie is spellbinding as dementors ride through the West End and whoosh over the Millennium Bridge. It's simply exhilarating. Also, later, there are some fantastic, dark scenes, all of which Helena Bonham Carter as the evil Bellatrix Lestrange steals. She's like a black cat, hissing and dancing away, an electrifying performance. To see her hiding and leaping in the cornfield, and destroying the venerable dining hall are cinematic moments to treasure and remember. Alan Rickman as Snape is also better than ever, expressing so much just via the pauses in his speech, and slight altering of tempo.

But, some parts of the movie are just too slow, and too boring for a thirty-something viewer such as myself. I could hear the teens in the audience giggle and sigh as the various teen romances advanced and faltered, and I know much of the book's about the youngsters' budding romances, but sheesh, it just goes on and on! Less would have been more. The movie's also much too long, so I'd say less smooching, and more action, or even dark brooding. Sometimes it seemed to me as if I was watching two different films: one gorgeous, dark and thoughtful, and the other like the British public school version of Dawson's bloody Creek! Anyhow, the young actors all do reasonably well, and Dan Radcliffe as Potter finally shows his immense talent when under the influence of Felix Felicis. Suddenly he becomes relaxed, expressive, funny and interesting. They should definitely keep Radcliffe on the stuff for the rest of the franchise. Rupert Grint's Ron kisses throughout the film and is at his comical best, while Emma Watson's Hermione is competent, but not really any different from what she offered us in the previous films. She's cute the way a little hamster's cute, and sad when cheese (Ron)'s snagged away.

However, Tom Felton's Draco's starts delivering better than before, and he does very well, bringing complexity to a role that before this was simply one of a nasty, upperclass school bully. His mother Cissy (one of my favorite actresses Helen McCrory) is wonderful in the few scenes she's given, expressing his worry and love for his son who has a dark mission. Also, the kid who plays Tom Riddle as a child is truly eerie and perfect for the part -- no wonder, as he's Ralph Fiennes' nephew Hero Fiennes-Tiffin (and that's a Potterish name if any!) All in all, the film's enjoyable, but mainly in the moments with the dark forces at play -- Narcissa, Bellatrix, and Snape. But it's overly long and with way too much teen romance at Snogwarts to be truly effective or exhilarating. Still, I'm hoping the last movie, cut in two parts, will be more concise and with some more of that delightful, sizzling darkness.