IMDb > "The Venture Bros." (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Venture Bros."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Venture Bros." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Adult Swim Redeemed

Author: Milt from United States
5 July 2006

Adult swim's shows have gone off the deep end of fairly entertaining nonsense to just pure absurdity. I do not see the appeal to any of them anymore and I do not often watch the programming block anymore.

Venture Bros. However stands apart from the rest and provides truly intelligent, well thought out, over-the-top and hilarious entertainment. The show is a perfect balance between tasteless humor and really clever subtleties. The homage/lambasting of early adventure animation/comics is spot on. The characters are full of depth and they're engaging. Brock Samson could pwn Chuck Norris any day of the week. What more could one want?

When I first saw this show I thought it was one of the more ******* up shows I'd ever seen. I was surprised just how graphic it was with particularly disturbing images(guy getting his eyes gouged out, watching a henchman struggle with his last breaths as he's strangled to death by Brock, poll vaulting off henchman's jugular...etc.)

I was not turned off though because aside from the surprising imagery, the jokes and references were all spot-on. I was laughing the whole way through and intrigued around every corner.

Truly, my only real gripe with the show is that it has a hard time taking itself seriously and often resorts to fairly flippant endings and/or resolutions that sometimes I feel aren't necessary. I think the show could support itself just fine with a persistent story arc, which I think we are starting to see more of in the new season anyway, so that's good.

And again, Brock Samson, there could hardly be a better cartoon character.

Check out this show, it's well worth it. I hope that it continues for a long time.

Best cartoon I've seen in years.

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
8 December 2004

This cartoon blasts every other modern cartoon right out of the water. It's even better than Family Guy (another great show, but which tends to get too sporadic, and even just plain dumb at times). It has hilarious characters and plot lines, and a razor wit. I love how the characters get put into all these horrible situations, and they each react in their own unrealistic but hilarious way.

The jazzy music and voices are also top-notch. Unlike many other cartoons, the voices are funny without getting unbearably grating. Speaking of which, when I first saw this, Brock Samson sounded really familiar... turns out he's none other than Patrick Wharburton (aka David Puddy). They could not have picked a better actor for the part.

If you like dark humor, satire, and overall zaniness, it doesn't get better than this.

9/10 stars.

My Favorite Adult Swim Original

Author: handy_can_opener from Texas
6 June 2005

This action-comedy spoof of sixties Johnny Quest-style super-science, evil nemeses, and supernatural happenings is by far, the best original Adult Swim program to date. The story follows The Venture family, Dr. Venture, a forty-something pill-popping scientist who never managed to step out from his father's shadow, his two sons, Hank and Dean (both rather Leave it to Beaver-like in their refusal to swear and constant wearing of sweaters and pants), Brock Samson, their James-Bond-on-steroids bodyguard who apparently works part-time for the office of secret intelligence and refuses to carry a gun, favoring of his serrated bowie knife. Most of the hilarity stems from The Monarch, the self-declared arch-nemesis of the Venture family, a weaver of ridiculously circuitous plans against them, an employer of hilariously incompetent henchmen, and a man who harbors an unhealthy obsession with monarch butterflies and an over-wrought sense of self-importance. His melodrama usually falls on the deaf ears of his girlfriend, Dr. Girlfriend, who, in complete contrast to the Monarch, is professional, take-charge, and inexplicably husky-voiced. The cast of supporting characters is of equal quality, including a well-meaning but dim-witted robot named Helper, a necromancer renting out the Venture family's garage apartment named Dr. Byron Orpheus (doctorate in communications, minor in women's studies), whose propensity towards unnecessarily dramatic changes in pitch and dire warnings of disruptions in the spirit world offer the Monarch's only competition in the melodrama department. Baron Underbheit, the tyrannical and oppressive ruler of Underland, who sports an Arnold-like accent, enormous (and anatomically complimentary) armor, and a metal lower jaw, is another arch-nemesis of the Venture family, blaming Dr. Venture's inattentiveness when they were college lab partners for the loss of his jaw. There's a myriad of others, ranging from fake ghost pirates to the forbidden love of a fugitive and a sasquatch. Check it out; you won't be disappointed.

Pseudo-Retro High Adventure Parody

Author: Leo L. Schwab (ewhac@ewhac.org) from San Francisco Peninsula
12 October 2004

In the 1950s and '60s, the heady space age was fully upon us. Sweeping, magnificent Art Deco buildings and designs were all the rage. New manufacturing techniques meant that the rectangle was out; circles and curves were in. We looked forward to flying cars, commercial passenger flights to the moon, moving sidewalks, and push-button automation everywhere. The future never looked brighter (not to mention cleaner) and much of the media of the time wasted no opportunity to remind us of this. Common examples of the period include just about any James Bond film, the Flint movies, and animated series such as The Jetsons and Jonny Quest.

Forty years and two very cynical, jaundiced eyes later, we now have The Venture Bros., which liberally and hilariously skewers the, shall we say, irrational exuberance of the times. The most obvious target is Jonny Quest, but little from the period escapes the series writers' acerbic wit.

Son of Jonas Venture, Dr. Venture is sort of how you might expect Jonny Quest to have grown up -- forever living in the shadow of his father's greatness, leaving him insecure, sarcastic, and in a semi-permanent state of midlife crisis. Alas, Dr. Venture's own brilliance was not passed on to his boys, Hank and Dean Venture, who are in all major respects self-absorbed, easily distracted, and not too swift. In other words, normal adolescent boys. They are watched over by their hired bodyguard, Brock Samson, a chain-smoking seen-it-all paramilitary type from the Office of Secret Intelligence, whose extraordinary competence and calm under pressure is exceeded only by his -- as another poster put it -- relentless brutality.

The Venture Bros. is full of the obvious jokes (dim-witted villains surrounded by even dimmer-witted henchmen), but it also makes funny observations about the incongruity of its inspirational sources.

Example: Like Dr. Benton Quest, Dr. Venture is a super-scientist, making advanced gadgetry as easily as we might make a TV dinner. But what do you do when your lab becomes crammed with unwanted or no-longer-interesting inventions? Yup. Hold a yard sale. Try not to be surprised when all your arch-nemeses show up.

Another example: In episode three, we are asked to cast our minds back to the 1970's series The Six Million Dollar Man and wonder: What were Steve Austin and Sasquatch *really* doing chasing each other through the woods?

The music in Venture Bros. is also magnificent -- not just the signature tune, which takes its roots from the brassy modern jazz of the period, but also the background music throughout the episode. The music's sheer bombast is a perfect complement for the overblown, exaggerated characters, especially the villains.

Though a bit uneven in its execution -- it might actually benefit from being shorter -- there's plenty of funny stuff here to keep modern cynics laughing out loud.

Go Team Venture!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
8 November 2004

This show is hilarious! The Venture Brothers, Hank and Dean, think, act, talk and live like they're in the 60's (though the show takes place in modern day.) They're the sons of Dr. Venture, a world renowned scientist who can't stand them. Dr. Venture pops pills like candy and reeks of failure and unrealized potential. Their family bodyguard, Brock Samson, is a former secret agent who responds to all possible crises with relentless brutality. Always The Monarch is always having evil plans on Dr. Venture instead of doing bigger plans like take over the world or something like that. I laugh at every single funny part in this show! The one thing I wonder about this show is why does Dr. Girlfriend have a man voice? Who knows? This show premiered in August 2004 on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line-up, but the pilot episode premiered in February 2003.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: GO TEAM VENTURE!

A must watch!

Author: coolkycouple2004 from United States
16 December 2004

The Venture Bros. is the funniest animated show to debut since South Park in my opinion. If you've ever watched Johnny Quest or read any Marvel Comics(the writers seem to be fans) you will get all the jokes. I have yet to find a character in the entire show who is uninteresting or unfunny. Brock Sampson is just a badass, and the Venture Bros. themselves are hilarious. Throw in some very funny villains and great references and you just can't go wrong with this show. Much better than any other of the Adult Swim offerings(although Sealab 2021 is pretty damn funny sometimes).

User Rating 10/10

One of the funniest shows around...

Author: 73Zero from San Francisco, CA
19 February 2005

Without a doubt, this is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The characters themselves are unforgettably hilarious. First up, we have Dr. Venture, a selfish and fame seeking "scientist" who lives in his famous father's shadow. Next, we have the Venture brothers themselves, Hank and Dean. Both are naive and sometimes downright stupid, yet have the best intentions at heart...usually leading them straight into danger with hilarious results. Which brings us to the next character, Brock Samson. He is the powerhouse and enforcer of the group, and is probably the highlight of the show. Never one to hesitate running headfirst (with trusty bowie knife in hand) into danger, he is the protector of the family. Imagine Race Bannon from Jonny Quest, but add Arnold Schwarzenegger's muscles, a libido the size of Texas, and a mullet, then you've got Brock Samson. Definitely my favorite character.

The show has all the elements of a Jonny Quest episode, but with a humorous (and sometimes raunchy) twist. I sure hope this series makes it out on DVD sometime soon.

RELEASE THE BUTTERFLIES...okay, whose job was it to feed the butterflies.

Author: Aaron1375
24 July 2005

This is a favorite of mine on adult swim, but then there are only a few shows they make I don't care for. This one is sort of a Johnny Quest and other cartoon's of that era parody, but it isn't just a parody cartoon. It is also one of the few shows that adult swim makes that is not just a short fifteen minute show, but a full fledged half hour one so it usually has time to set up a hilarious plot each and every time. The characters are great as Dean and Hank Venture anchor the show and the father and his body guard Brock Sampson are definitely the super funny ones. Then there are the villains, most notably the Monarch, there has never been a character on film who was more evil and diabolical ever presented. Seriously, this show is great...if they aren't fighting the Monarch they are tackling the mystery's of the sea, going to arctic bases where a sort of fantastic four family lives, and having the occasional yard sale where even the arch enemies are welcome. For pure comedy entertainment look no further than the Venture Bros...GO TEAM VENTURE.

A Brilliant Blast From The Past!

Author: tzer0 from The World Of Tomorrow
21 November 2004

If you grew up watching Johnny Quest get ready to bust a gut on this one, and it's hilarious even if you didn't. Every cliché is ripped through like bodyguard Brock Samson going through henchmen. There's even a scene in there of him painted purple like Aqizio, and watching him snap is always a highlight of the show. The Brothers, Dean and Hank, rather then being Wonder Boys, are the complete opposite of Johnny Quest, and are a couple of goobs, regular teens, who take all the Super Science in stride. Dr. Venture himself is something of a failure in life, and yet he is the envy of all the other Super Scientists, because he has so many Arch-Enemies. The show is outstanding, though there is room for improvement. Some of the gags in the first season are hit and miss, but when they hit, they hit you like like Brock Samson! So there is sure to be a second season. Now grab the handle and push the button. Go Team Venture!

I guess not too many people have seen this...

Author: whostolemysocks from Virginia
28 August 2004

If you haven't seen this show, take the time and watch it... its on at 11:00 on Saturdays or 12:30 on Sundays if you missed it on Saturday... it stars Patrick Warburton, you know, Joe from Family Guy..... and everyone loves Family Guy... Adult Swim hits the bullseye again with another sure to be hit show... its funny, its weird, its randomly violent, and it doesn't let up until the end... it definitely shows parodies to Johnny Quest and other old TV shows... I mean, I like it, and you're sure to like it too... unless you're a grouch who doesn't like to stay up past your bedtime... or if you just don't have a good enough sense of humor... yeah... if you like all the other shows on Adult Swim, this will fit in nicely...

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]