IMDb > "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Avatar: The Last Airbender"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Avatar: The Last Airbender" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The best in animated storytelling...

Author: ericjcant-1 from United States
30 October 2005

Even though Avatar is of American origin, it has a lot of Japanese anime influence, particularly visually, but keeps the best of both animation cultures with it's American sense of playfulness and more realized characterization. The creators of Avatar have really crafted an artistic piece of fun and creative storytelling that is a rare gem for American TV. Avatar has strength in all the major areas of film and story, starting at ground level with an exceptionally believable world setting where war is taking place among the different nations. The main characters who find themselves caught in this struggle are three teens named Katara, Sokka, and Aang (the Avatar) who have set forth to bring harmony to the world through their influence and through the powers of the still developing Avatar. There is lot of humor and fun in this show, and you can't help but to really love these characters and their pets. But this is just the beginning of the glue that keeps you coming back. Great plots and stunning visuals are just as much of importance to the overall success of the show. The story lines are top notch, being both episodic in nature and chronologically integral from one show to the next. Each episode usually introduces a new and genuinely interesting opposition and/or characters to be overcome by the end of the show, and visually there is plenty of awe inspiring backgrounds and quality animation. With just enough well paced action, some sincere points of moral conviction (can you believe it), and witty humor makes the show a winning combination. This is entertainment for all ages, and definitely a must see.

Fake anime can be good

Author: queenoftheplayground from United States
7 June 2005

So, Nick has decided to join in on the party (along with Cartoon Network, Toon Disney, etc...) and put anime on the line-up. well, avatar isn't exactly anime, but it's inspired by it.

Compared to other anime-inspired shows made here in the US, Avatar is a leap ahead of the rest. A big leap. And furthermore, it's on Nick. Nick viewers aren't used to to shows like this. Shows with developing characters, and a deep story. But despite that, and what you may hear from others, Avatar is a popular show. I wouldn't be surprised if this show went far. It has humor, a good bit of it, and those cute anime faces we all love (well, anime fans). It has action. It even gives us a reason to cry once and a while (if you like the show enough). And romance, of course, if you look for it. Overall, this show is worth a watch. However, you have to start from the beginning, so you know what's going on. I give it a 9/10.

A great show for Nick, and it's about time!

Author: masonl87 from United States
4 March 2005

Wow. I am amazed at how good this show is. The anime-style look and feel of it make it a warm addition to nick's mostly dull lineup. Don't get me wrong, nick has some good animated shows, like Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom is one of my favorites. I think that it is good that they have a program with this kind of look that isn't from an established Nickelodeon company (like frederator for fairly oddparents).

Anyway, I think that Avatar: The Last Airbender is a good program, and is sure to be a hit as long as Nick doesn't screw it up. It seems to have the right amount of humor and action to keep it appealing to me (and I'm 19!). As long as the creators can keep the show original and stop Nick from bastardizing it by saying things like "its too violent" or "You can't have Saaka be sexist." Stay the course and you'll be gold!

A show that could surpass Cartoon Network's Samurai Jack.

Author: Ameph from Cleveland
16 April 2005

When I saw the previews of this show, I knew that it was going to be something unique. When I first watched this show, I knew that Nick had something going. I only hoped that they would continue it and keep it fresh. So far, Nick has done it perfectly.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is Nick's newest show where they took a sudden left turn from traditional American comedy Cartoons into something similar to DC's Teen Titans and Cartoon Network's Samurai Jack. A series anime show with some laughs mixed in while the world literally is on the brink of destruction.

So far, Nick has outdone themselves this time and if they can keep it up, Nick is going to have a brand new name for itself.

Well done

Author: xrachelsomeonex from United States
2 December 2005

I thought that Avatar when it first came out was gonna be another Nick Show flop. When the first episode came out I watched it for about 10 mins. and I thought wow and couldn't stop watching. The show I think keeps you involved. Nick has picked some bad shows but not this one. The plot is very well designed and characters are thought out and are dynamic. I think thats what makes a show good. Also the fact that when a show ends then next time then it carrys on what happened in the next episode rather than acting like it never happened. The show captures a sense of reality and makes the audience more into it. The writers write some pretty decent material. Classic comedy and new moral comedy with good values. All in all I give the show a perfect score of 10/10 stars with both thumbs way up.

Very Great story

Author: HeirToPendragon from United States
7 January 2006

The art and research put into this story matches the quality of the plot and character development. This show is what Nickelodeon needs to give it some respect. Not since Samauri Jack has an American show been able to pull off an anime style that works. It's good to know that children that watch this show may actually learn what it takes to have a good story. The research put into the story is amazing. The bending styles all coincide with different styles of fighting and can be seen in every episode. The show itself is also planned out, as minor questions formed in one episode may not be answered for another 10 some episodes later, so it's not just another Nick "story" show like Danny Phantom, all episodes are connected and well planned out. I wouldn't doubt that the next 3 seasons are already written. The character development and writing can match even some of the best television writers out there, it may even be able to stand toe-to-toe with the works of Joss Whedon.

I give the show an easy 10/10, especially if you watch all the shows in order.

I'm overly impressed

Author: cjmg85 from United States
12 April 2005

It seems rare for Nickelodeon to turn out a good new show these days, and even more rare for me to like an anime style cartoon, which is why I'm baffled as to why I love this show so much. Having not missed an episode yet, and having a reminder for new episodes on my desktop, I've seen that it just keeps getting better and better as it goes. Some of the story lines are predictable, but that doesn't turn me off of Avatar as it might some other things, which just adds more to my confusion as to why I love this show so much. Many kudos to Nickelodeon, this is easily greatest show since Rocko's Modern Life (IMO) and after Spongebob Squarepants, that is most definitely saying something!

Avatar: The Last Airbender

Author: rjlebaron from United States
2 April 2005

What a breath of fresh air (no pun intended), My boys and I were hooked after the first episode. The action sequences are great, and the lighthearted humor is refreshing...It's about time they came out with something that might become a classic. I like the animation, and the characters are right on...great idea to have the fate of the nations resting in the hands of a 12 year old boy, who wants to be a kid, but at the same time realizes he has a lot of responsibility resting on his shoulders. I hope they can keep it going and not have it break down as we get further into the season. I am looking forward to the rest of the season, and hope they put it on DVD...would like to have it in my library.

A light of hope for Nickelodeon

Author: SubtleIncantation from United States
26 February 2005

Lately Nick has been coming up with some really bad shows, but Avatar shows that there is hope still for Nickelodeon. It's about a twelve year boy who is not only the very last air bender, he is also the avatar, the only person who can master bending water, earth, fire, and air. He travels around the world as he tries to master all four skills, but the fire benders who had ravaged his temple and killed his people keep trying to stop him. It results in very enjoyable action sequences. The show also brings some laughs, like using a stick as a snake. Avatar is a great show ending with cliffhangers that will keep you waiting to see what happens to Aang next. 8/10 stars

Great anime style toon from Nick

Author: from United States
1 May 2005

Avatar:The last bender is a must see show. Each episode is action packed and contains light humor and has a good storyline. And another plus is that the animation is great, in fact it is so great that Nickelodeon spends about $1 million on each show. It costs more than making 2 Spongebob episodes. Its basically about a child prodigy with unique air bending powers, who is the Avatar master of all 4 elements, who must save the world from the Fire Nation along with his friends. Katara a water bender, and Sokka, Katara's warrior brother,Appa a giant flying bison, and Momo Aang's(the avatar)pet lemur. Basically the future for Earth is at stake and the people depend on Aang to save them.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]